New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Golden Archipelago

"Perhaps our informers are wrong, one cannot always trust everyone." Edwin says with a frown. "It sounds like you have personal experience with the man, have you met him?"
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"No, I haven't," states the merchant after a short pause. "I don't need to know him personally. Everyone around here knows him. Rats, even Europe talks about him! That's why I don't believe you that you don't know him. Say what you want, I am no fool. And I don't care either - it is your problem if you have a feud with Wells. But you should really work on your bluff, it is too easy to call it."

The men rise from their seats, their meal finished. "I don't know about pirates, but you want to do some shady business, look around Cannelle islands. That cesspool writhes with maggots. Now excuse us, we are done here. Nice talking to you two."
    Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    We could be The Band of the Squeaky Horn. Let our battle cry of "honk, honk %&#*$%@-#$*&%@$ers!!" be feared throughout the land!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

"My thanks for your information, it has been most enlightened." Edwin gives a curt nod and leaves the room. Once out in the bar area again, he tosses the barkeep a few coins to pay for their drinks and mutters "Lousy frog." before storming out with Phillip in tow. He doesn't head back for the ship, but goes into the city, looking for a blind turn into an alleyway or side street that isn't busy. When he finds one, he turns into it purposefully, and stops as soon as he is out of sight of the road behind them.

"I want to be sure we aren't followed. What do you think of that? Are the French unaware of Wells being a pirate, or is your information from that drunk bad?"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Phillip curses and spits in the dust. Hells, how should I know?! All I learned in Emerald Landing is to never leave sight of the ship without you!

He paces back and forth in the narrow alley, quickly digging a rut into the loose sand. After a moment, he turns to Edwin.
    I have an idea. It stands to reason that if the English and French are unhappy with one another, one man's pirate could easily be another man's golden boy, no?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

"That makes sense, and also rules him out for our purposes. If I must hurt the Empire, that will not be the way." Edwin watches the alley entrance. "That does mean we are back to where we were. Of course there is the man hunting Wells, this Blackwood. Of course we've now gone hunting an entirely new target. And there's the preacher and Lillian to find." Edwin sighed.

"We should sail soon. I have an idea, if the goal is to cause trouble at least. How are you at forging seals? We need orders other than what we have." Edwin smiled.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Philip nods, listening carefully as Edwin speaks. I have some experience with such pursuits. Why don't we discuss your intentions back on board? That is, unless you have other tasks to attend to on shore.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Convinced Noone was following, Edwin started back to the ship. "We should sail soon."

Once on board he relates his plan. "We will head to one of the lesser patrolled areas and see what we can find. I will have you forge a letter of Marque from the governor and a set of orders telling us to hunt French merchant vessels. I hope we won't need them but our mission is to cause trouble. Are we ready to make way?"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Discussing the plan with Phillip put Edwin in a bad mood. After all, how hard could it be to fake someone's handwriting, particularly to someone who has never seen it? Or copying a seal? They could just use the Royal Seal on his signet if they needed to. Still, Edwin trusted Phillip in matters of the criminal sort, so he agreed that they couldn't make acceptable fakes.

"Cast off, and set a course for Isla Corazona. We'll need to stop there for water and supplies before heading on to Morgan's Refuge." Edwin turns to Phillip and speaks in a lower voice. "I feel listless, but the primary reason I came here was to find Lillian. If she's anywhere, she's in a british colony, or at least that's the place to look. Her father is a British Captain, or was last I saw of him, so its more likely to find him in a British Port. Failing that, there's always the Jade Dancer to find."

9. - Top - End - #129

RedWizardGuy

The journey is smooth this time - no storms, good winds, no preachers boarding your deck. You cross the Sea Serpent, a chain of small islands inhabited only by natives, and make your way to Isla Corazona.

Isla Corazona. Relatively small. Quite rocky. But perfectly situated in the middle of the archipelago. Thus, it boasts enormous fortress, massive, black and intimidating, asking the world to dare and challenge it. It is ready for a siege, and its powerful cannons stationed on stout towers want nothing less than to sink some ships.

Even though Spain is not very powerful on these waters lately, this is the reason for them to still count, especially in times of war. Whoever makes Spain their enemy, will have a hard time getting past these defences.

Resupplying takes you some time, so both the captain and his first mate go onshore again, sniffling around for any piece of information holding some value. And there is one such thing, an interesting fact - a couple of months ago Louis Viteri, a royal cousin, came here and replaced the previous governor. The community doesn't know what to say about him yet; some claim he is a mindless brute, the others insist he is more than he looks, yet others just say living under his heel will be difficult.

~~~~~

Leaving the Spanish settlement in your wake, you set sails for Morgan's Refuge. This is not a single island, though, and more of a network of several islands, each with a small garrison. You jump into a launch and row to the main one, hidden in an inner bay. Soon you stand on the cobbles of Tarwick, basking in an evening sun, wondering what your next move should be.
    We could be The Band of the Squeaky Horn. Let our battle cry of "honk, honk %&#*$%@-#$*&%@$ers!!" be feared throughout the land!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

"Perhaps we should have tried Port Royale first, but this place was closer, and the name seemed fortuitous." Edwin said. He had worn some of his simpler clothes, still fine enough for a successful Captain, but not so fine to draw attention. No embroidery or lace, but they were silk. Linen and Wool chaffed, particularly when wet, so this wasn't something he was willing to give up, despite how useful it might be to appear less well off than he was. "Let's find where the officers of any ships that come in drink at."

There was always the risk that someone on orders to retrieve him could be present here. He was hoping that they were still a few weeks behind him, and looking at the Dutch settlements. His hand idly went to his pistol, holstered at easy grasp on his left side. The weight of his sword was a familiar comfort as well. He didn't envy shooting and fighting his way out of a trap, but he doubted one would spring up.

"Keep your eyes open. I don't intend to use my full name, but enough people in the Royal Navy know me and know my face that there could be trouble."

Once he knew if anyone worth knowing was here, he could go about the secondary part of his mission. British sailors were the best in the world, and he intended to recruit a few.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    "Keep your eyes open. I don't intend to use my full name, but enough people in the Royal Navy know me and know my face that there could be trouble."
    Philip nods as the skiff is moored at the hidden bay. "As you say, Captain Andrew. Your first mate, Peter, is always happy to oblige." He nimbly climbs out of the skiff first, before offering a hand to Edwin. He looks about briefly, appraising the locations and sizes of the small islands surrounding this one, turns to face the main bay of Morgan's Refuge and smiles.

To a nearby dockhand, he asks, "We seek some of the simpler pleasures this island has to offer. Could you be so kind as to direct us?"

12. - Top - End - #132

RedWizardGuy

"Tha's depends how simple you talkin'. Thar's be Uncle Joe on tha other side of docks if ye wanna clear throats, or Busty Mermaid for, er, oth'r pleasures, jus down the road. Can't miss it, got a sign wit, er, busty mermaid on it."

Following the man's instructions, you quickly find the 'Uncle Joe' tavern. It is not exactly what you were hoping for, but being already there, you decide to step in and at least ask for further directions. You chatter with a barkeep for a while, learning local gossip, but disappointingly, nothing interesting. But lack of information is still some information, so at least you know there are no notable figures in town. You are about to leave, changing local, when a man sits down right next to you near the bar.

"Well, howdy! Excuse me my interruption, but so it happened that I've heard you are going to Victoria. And if you are going there, it means you have a ship, or enough money to get one." The man is ordinarily looking, just a face in the crowd. However, his accent betrays him to hail from northern England, maybe even Scotland. "And a ship, ah, a ship means crew! Crew means job, job means coin, coin means, well, coin can mean nearly everything on this side of the ocean. I have a few lackeys with meself, good boys, hard-working, honest. We'd make an excellent crew! What do you say? I'm Pete, by the way. Prickly Pete, they call me. Prickly, because those knives," he points at twin sheaths on his belt. Both of you being swordsmen, you don't doubt the man's prowess with those dirks; his fluent movements, the way he scans his surroundings, are all the proof you need.

Pete appears to be in his thirties. Not particularly muscular, rather lean, but nimble. He's wearing plain clothes, stained here and there, with a few tears; only the knives seem to be in perfect shape. Obviously the man's down on his luck currently, but you can see vast experience in his eyes. His voice makes him oddly amiable, too.
    Last edited by Norandil; 2015-01-25 at 04:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

"We might have space on our ship for able bodied seamen. Where have you served before? And how many is a few?" Edwin was not quite willing to trust a total stranger, but he did need more experienced crewmen, and someone who knew how to handle themselves.

"We are in service of the Dutch Navy at this time, does that change your willingness to serve? I don't intend on firing on a British vessel, I am still loyal to my homeland."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Philip smiles as his captain begins asking the questions that spring into his mind. He turns his back to the bar, and places his elbows on it, to face into the larger room in general. Looking about the room, he tries to see if anyone else is paying perhaps a bit too much attention to this conversation, but keeps his ears trained on Pete- eager for the man's response.

15. - Top - End - #135

RedWizardGuy

"Anything that fills my belly and purse, captain. Dutch, Spanish, you name it. Just not pirates. Anyway, here's the story:" Pete shifts in his spot, turning around slightly to see you better. "I came here on a vessel called Dragoon, commandeered by a man called Lucas. He had orders to hunt pirates, you know. And that's always a good thing, even more if you get paid doing so. But you see, when we finally got to this cursed place, Lucas kept sitting on his hands! We were doin nothing, and he didn't want to pay us neither. So I took a four men and left, thinking it'll be easy to find a different job. But here I am, rotting in this port.

Just you know. Unlike the others, I ain't no sailor. I can hold a rope if told so, but what you want me for is this!
    " he says and draws a knife faster than you can blink, holding it an inch from Edwin's eye. He then flips it and hands over to young captain with a nod. "I can also get what you want, no matter how exotic it is and where we are, you just need to ask.

So, did I pass the test?
    "

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

"I may find you useful. "Edwin says, removing his hand from the grip of his still holstered pistol. He was not afraid of being injured, and the man was very swift. "Is this Captain Lucas still in port? I have heard of the Dragoon, but only because the name is odd for a ship. Is the Captain as odd as the ship's name?"

17. - Top - End - #137

RedWizardGuy

"Odd? Maybe. I'd call him indecisive, because he's still in port indeed. Shnyava, on the far side of bay. The captain himself's on one of the smaller islands recently, enjoying warm embrace of some sailor's wife, I presume. I keep an eye on him, he still owes me some coins and as long as there's a chance I'll get it, I'll keep nagging above his ear. Have a business with him?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Philip locks eyes with Edwin for just a moment, before a wicked grin splits his features. Well, I cannot rightly speak to whether or not we had business with him, but if our newest crew member has business with him, I guess that means we do too, eh? Surely we can make time to pay him a visit, Andrew?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

"May as well while we are here. How much does he owe you?"

20. - Top - End - #140

RedWizardGuy

"Ha, I like you already! Three half-crowns is what he owes me, but he says it is me who owes him. Bloody ridiculous. And one half-a-crown for each of my mates, that'd be two crowns total. Sodding idiot probably spent it all on gifts and whatnot, or spinned it down the Mermaid's tail."

Pete stands up and stretches his arms, yawning mightily. "So, captains, any assignment for me?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

"See if you can find any rumor of a ship called the Jade Dancer, or a Captain named Ishmel Johannes. Otherwise, I have nothing for you. We will be departing in the morning, please have your things stowed before then." Edwin gathered up Phillip and headed out looking for Captain Lucas.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Philip nods, smiling at their new recruit. As they step into the sunlight, he raises an eyebrow at his captain and mutters, just barely loud enough to be heard by Edwin, trust him?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

"Of course not." Edwin said with a smile.. "But if he was here to kill me, he would have."

24. - Top - End - #144

RedWizardGuy

Pete gives you a slack salute and marches out of the bar, disappearing deeper into the town. You head in the opposite way, looking for Dragoon, hoping to find captain Lucas. It isn't difficult, as Pete's information is correct and there's a shnyava bearing this name moored near a pier. You walk up the plank, looking around.

The ship is in a sorry state. Messy, neglected, with only four sailors lying around deck, half of them apparently drunk. The remaining two give you an uninterested look before returning to their conversation, and it is you who need to walk up to them. They tell you to bugger off at first, but insistance backed up with a few coins looses their tongues enough for you to learn that Lucas disappeared on a smaller island about a week ago. The ship's grounded as well, since according to them they are all that's left from the crew, everyone else just left and not many people would return.

Following their instructions, you use the remaining hours of daylight to get to the second island, one filled with pretty posh residences, and after asking some guards for further directions, you find yourself standing in front of a cottage surrounded by a neat lawn and a fence. There's light inside, but the gate is closed firmly and there's nobody outside for you to talk to.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Right then, Philip begins. Shall we just head up to the door and knock, or yell from here? Of course, we could always pay them an unexpected visit....

He turns to Edwin, eyebrow raised.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

"Do you see any better ways in than the front door?" Edwin asked. The letter he found had him wondering what this captain was up to, and announcing themselves, or bashing through a gate didn't seem like the best course of action. Edwin looked around for another entry point, maybe some way to climb onto the roof of the building or reach a second story window.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. Let's check around back. As they start walking away, Philip continues. I didn't want to be too obvious, but one of the front windows was cracked open a bit- we can always go back around there.

They come to the side lot, and notice the back door, or we could sneak in back here? I like the look of the window, personally. No telling if that door is locked or watched, from here...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

"Window looks good to me." Edwin said, heading for the window and sneaking into the house.

29. - Top - End - #149

RedWizardGuy

The two of you circle the house inconspicuously for a while, making use of the dying light and the quietness of the district. Deciding to use the window, you find a proper, shadowy place to climb the iron fence, away from the illuminated windows, and begin your little 'assault'.

Edwin goes on first and covers the ground safely, but just as he waves his hand for Phillip to follow him in, his first mate hears steps approaching and lets go of the fence.

"Hold ho! Wassa doin' here, fella?" a guard calls him. One of the local watch, his duty must be to patrol these streets, keeping all the filth and crime closer to the docks. He appears to be quite laid back though, and you are positive that he hasn't seen Edwin hiding on the property.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

One hand on the fence, looking inward, Philip turns to the guard in surprise.

Good evening, sir! I was actually looking for a friend of mine- goes by Lucas? Haven't seen the chap since our training as pages, back on the mainland, but a mutual acquaintance told me he was out here. He gestures to the estate nearby. He described this place to a 'T,' so I'm pretty sure this is it. I just thought I'd drop by and see if we could reconnect, but it appears I've come too late to meet him tonight. -That is, if you don't mind me asking, unless you could help? I'm loathe to barge on up to a closed estate; I don't want to give him the wrong impression, you see.

...And honestly, I'm not completely sure he'd remember me. He was a few years older, and you know how those things go when you're a lad. I guess he was more of a childhood role model than a friend, come to think it.... but here I am rambling on, and I'm sure you've more important things to do than listen to be blab all night!

Let me ask a quick question, and I'll be on my way. Do you know when the owner of this estate accepts visitors? Should I just come back in the morning, or might there be a better time to find him out and about?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm guessing there's enough half-truths in here that I'll need a falsehood test, but I'm hoping for advantage, since- after all- they are only half untruths as well,

Falsehood is B2 :-\
    (2d6)[5][1](6) and if need be, and you allow it: (1d6)[4] advantage.