New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Stand Still. Stay Silent

I don't see a thread for this comic, and I think it deserves one.

http://www.sssscomic.com

A short synopsis: It starts in Scandinavia at present day where a mysterious illness is spreading with alarming haste. I don't want to spoil it, but things get scary, then outright ugly.

The comic is very realistic IMO, but unlike some zombie-apocalype comics, it does not focus too much on drama or inter-group conflict but rather on how society would adapt and survive in face of this new threat.

Oh, and cats. Lots of cats.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Stand Still. Stay Silent

i debated whether to post this, but for the sake of discussion, decided to.

i really wanted to like this, and maybe someone can convince me to give it more of a try(this is actually my second attempt). That said, i've just gone through the 60+ page prologue, and part of the next chapter and i'm really disappointed with little inclination to read further.

Let me start with the good. Its an interesting idea, the artwork has a unique, appealing style.

but,
    you learn virtually nothing about what is going on in those first pages, save that a mysterious virus is spreading and a few dooms dayers are hunkering down. the goofy nature of many of the conversations kills most of the suspense that might otherwise be building(the two crackpots on the t.v. come to mind) it really feels at odds with the story(not saying you can't have humor and an apocolypse, but this goofiness just doesn't do it for me)

you are introduced to what felt like a couple score of characters, and then told that the date advanced 90 years. in other words, everyone you were just introduced to is almost certainly dead or so old as to be irrelevant to the story, and more than likely nothing they've done will be relevant to the story unless its just to note that someone is the grand child of one of those characters. regardless, nothing they did in those pages really feels like it could possibly matter later(like finding a secret lab or something) so tthe whole thing felt like a giant waste of time that was better handled in the one page synopsis.

atleast with a comic like direclict, also incredibly light on information, you are following the same character, and the tone of the conversations, when there is any, better fits(for me) the tone of the setting(i waffle with derelict). and maybe i'm wrong, maybe these characters do come back in the later story some how, but to be slammed with so many and then have them *seemingly* abandoned is just very off putting to me as a reader.

Like i said, i wanted to like it, and i am trying to critique it respectfully, so i apologize if anything sounds too harsh. Perhaps it would be helpful to hear what others like about it, as much as is possible without spoilers. As it stands it is definitely not a comic for me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by wobner View Post
    i debated whether to post this, but for the sake of discussion, decided to.

i really wanted to like this, and maybe someone can convince me to give it more of a try(this is actually my second attempt). That said, i've just gone through the 60+ page prologue, and part of the next chapter and i'm really disappointed with little inclination to read further.

Let me start with the good. Its an interesting idea, the artwork has a unique, appealing style.

but,
    you learn virtually nothing about what is going on in those first pages, save that a mysterious virus is spreading and a few dooms dayers are hunkering down. the goofy nature of many of the conversations kills most of the suspense that might otherwise be building(the two crackpots on the t.v. come to mind) it really feels at odds with the story(not saying you can't have humor and an apocolypse, but this goofiness just doesn't do it for me)

you are introduced to what felt like a couple score of characters, and then told that the date advanced 90 years. in other words, everyone you were just introduced to is almost certainly dead or so old as to be irrelevant to the story, and more than likely nothing they've done will be relevant to the story unless its just to note that someone is the grand child of one of those characters. regardless, nothing they did in those pages really feels like it could possibly matter later(like finding a secret lab or something) so tthe whole thing felt like a giant waste of time that was better handled in the one page synopsis.

atleast with a comic like direclict, also incredibly light on information, you are following the same character, and the tone of the conversations, when there is any, better fits(for me) the tone of the setting(i waffle with derelict). and maybe i'm wrong, maybe these characters do come back in the later story some how, but to be slammed with so many and then have them *seemingly* abandoned is just very off putting to me as a reader.

Like i said, i wanted to like it, and i am trying to critique it respectfully, so i apologize if anything sounds too harsh. Perhaps it would be helpful to hear what others like about it, as much as is possible without spoilers. As it stands it is definitely not a comic for me.
    It is a little deliberately dense, yeah. I quite liked it. I really feel that if you push a little further you'll enjoy your self, a lot of the information you're looking for is forthcoming and the comic DID build trust with me that my questions will be answered. I think the art is gorgeous, too.

The characters you meet in the beginning DO matter. :)

4. - Top - End - #4

I'm enjoying it, but I can agree that the prologue is a bit lengthy and mostly irrelevant (at least, it appears that way so far). It was good, and it had a lot of nice character moments about dealing with the impending collapse of the world, but 68 pages is a lot of comic space to spend on characters that never enter the story again. I didn't even realize that the main characters are in fact descendants of the prologue characters until it was brought up in an author's note at the bottom of a page.

That aside, I think it really excels at worldbuilding. I can totally believe that this could be a post-apocalyptic Scandinavia in the process of recovery. Albeit, there's some light hints at magic, but whatever, I'll go with it. Things like how they've managed to secure the last cities, bring technology back, which countries are in what condition, language barriers, mythology, cats, all well thought out.

It's definitely an interesting story, but it is long. Thankfully, it somehow updates five days a week, so the pacing doesn't feel as bad when you read it live. Although, now that I think about it, the story is just now getting going and it's been over 200 pages, so take that into consideration.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eh. I always figure that Web Comic prologues can be skipped and this one is really not much of an exception. Pretty much everything you need to know can be picked up on in the first real chapter.

I will admit, however, that I also read the prologue and only really managed to enjoy the story once I got past it.

6. - Top - End - #6

I also thought it was strange that the comic just timeskipped 90 years. I suppose all the characters you meet at first is just there to explain the situation and we follow them specifically because they are the forefathers of your little adventure party. You can see some family photos on the wall at one point. Also, I didn't know it was an apocalypse-style comic at first, so I was just trying to figure out what was going on. And then suddenly almost everybody was dead...

Meanwhile, the story is just getting started! I wonder if there is a deeper plot than just hunting books? I hope so.

I like the art a lot, I don't know how they can make five pages a week! That is just crazy.

BTW, Both the bridge and the Bornholm ferry are quite accurate. I hope they get to some recognizable parts of Copenhagen.
    Bad to the Bone!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Yes it is slow. And I think the story is/will be more about discovery of characters rather than "adventurous".
    And the prologue was maybe too long (but absolutely enjoyable).

The fans of quick-paced/action-packed/Marvel-style comics will do better to stay away.

Those who like an excellent comic, with interesting and well-rounded characters, intriguing and slow-paced plot and amazing art are (IMHO) strongly suggested to have a try!

Also ... the author is a 23 YO girl who does all, writing and art, at an amazing rate of 5 updates per week. I think many webcomics authors might take her as an example of being a professional.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm loving this. The art is beautiful, the monsters are creepy and intriguing, and the characters are likeable and three-dimensional. My mind's already buzzing with possibilities for games integrating the rash plague and the results...

Normally I don't get into slow-paced stuff like this, but for quality like this and an update schedule this constant I'll make an exception. Five stars!
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm on page 153 right now. The prologue does read as though she started out with the idea of writing the apocalypse as it happens, and then decided it would be more interesting to skip forward. The characters are introduced in such a charming fashion that I don't really mind seeing them for a couple of pages and then they're gone (not just the square info tags, but the general tone of the comic).

Overall pacing and quality of the comic I think is very high. I'm sure once I hit the update wall I'll feel like it's a bit slower of course

Spoiler
    Show

At the bottom of page 155, you can see two bodies under the sheets to the house in the left. Creepy, and at this point we don't know anything about the Silent Zone, so potentially dangerous?
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2015-01-20 at 08:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    Yes it is slow. And I think the story is/will be more about discovery of characters rather than "adventurous"....
    It's becoming more and more clear that this story is straight up horror. I expect Emil to run screaming and floppy-wristed only to fall and twist his ankle. Then Sigrun will rescue him and they kiss.
    Bad to the Bone!

11. - Top - End - #11

Griffon

Oh, I've grown to quite like this story after following it for a few months. I agree with you that the prologue is too long, I almost stopped reading halfway through it, but fortunately decided to wade through.

I'm not sure how believable I think the setting is, but I greatly enjoy the interaction of the main characters, the comic has a nice atmosphere (yeah, despite the horror elements) and the artwork is awesome. Also, cats!
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    It's becoming more and more clear that this story is straight up horror. I expect Emil to run screaming and floppy-wristed only to fall and twist his ankle. Then Sigrun will rescue him and they kiss.
    Or not.....

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting, I'll have to check this out.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

14. - Top - End - #14

Griffon

Heheh, who doesn't appreciate some good old blackmailing. XD Starting to quite like Trond.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

This took a surprising turn for the surprising.

16. - Top - End - #16

Griffon

So the long waited 'Braidy' finally makes an appearance. :J

Emil's reaction doesn't really surprise me, but why is Lalli growling? Or would hissing be more appropriate? Though cats do growl too..
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-03-23 at 04:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

The quality of story and drawings, combined with the amazing pace of 5 full colour pages per week (always perfectly on time!) continues to amaze me!
    One of my favourite webcomics now.
    And next time the author plans to organize the printing and selling of her work on paper I think I'll buy it. Real quality!

18. - Top - End - #18

Griffon

This comic is quickly becoming my favourite webcomic, oh those expressions Especially Sigrun. Poor Reynir, I expect it will take some time to get fully accepted to this group of weirdos.

And I now fully expect him to eventually end up as troll bait at some point, probably by his own suggestion or something
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-04-09 at 02:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Emil is great. He almost knows what he is doing. The best kind of knowledge of what one is doing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Great. Another webcomic i'll have to follow...
    (at least, the first impression is good. Let's see if I'll like the huge time-skip)
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

21. - Top - End - #21

Griffon

The last few pages... so sad.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

It really saddens me that there isn't much discussion about this here. Then again, I haven't posted in here in months, if not over a year...

Anyway I mostly spend time in the Disqus comments below the comic, but I feel the need to talk on what a great comic this is.

The update schedule is, shall we say, breakneck, the landscape artwork and detail is stunning and the characters are dynamic and the overarching story is intriguing. It's also funny, scary and mysterious in equal parts.

It's great.
    Try to make something completely idiotproof and nature will create a better idiot.

23. - Top - End - #23

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by corncobman View Post
    It really saddens me that there isn't much discussion about this here. Then again, I haven't posted in here in months, if not over a year...

Anyway I mostly spend time in the Disqus comments below the comic, but I feel the need to talk on what a great comic this is.

The update schedule is, shall we say, breakneck, the landscape artwork and detail is stunning and the characters are dynamic and the overarching story is intriguing. It's also funny, scary and mysterious in equal parts.

It's great.
    I agree, this comic deserves more love.

The art already started pretty good, but it's developed to be one of the most beautiful webcomics I know of, I might even rank it as the first. From the top of my head, only Drowtales at its peak can compare, and its art quality has unfortunately degraded in the past few years.

The packing is perhaps a bit odd sometimes, but I don't have much to complain. Few a story has so likeable crew of characters. ^^

And the pace at which the creator makes the pages, is, indeed, unbelievable.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-06-23 at 03:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I believe many, if not most, of us here read and enjoy SSSS, while staying silent (ha ha) about it. The story format (realistic exploration of an unfamiliar world) does not produce much discussion, as our normal "what's going to happen next?" or "I hope this character comes back" or "I bet he's actually that other guy in disguise" don't really have answers we can predict yet.

There isn't much to discuss about SSSS beyond "I love this beautiful comic", and that has been said here already. We just enjoy the ride.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yeah, I wish I had something to talk about other than, "This is pretty good." There's nothing to really complain about, nothing to speculate on, it's just a good read.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

The more recent chapter has left a few things that can be speculated, such as the beast dog - is it truly dead or has it still retained a small portion of its spirit, then there are things about the dream world such as the nature of the 'it' that is looking for Lalli's family, then there's also the extent of Reynir's powers.
    Last edited by corncobman; 2015-06-26 at 02:52 AM.
    Try to make something completely idiotproof and nature will create a better idiot.

27. - Top - End - #27

Griffon

Great, and SAD. T_T

(Occasionally anyway.)

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by corncobman View Post
    The more recent chapter has left a few things that can be speculated, such as the beast dog - is it truly dead or has it still retained a small portion of its spirit, then there are things about the dream world such as the nature of the 'it' that is looking for Lalli's family, then there's also the extent of Reynir's powers.
    Agreed. The "dog" seemed to regain its mind when in the sun. The voices in the radio asking for help. It looks like the souls of human and beasts are still there, trapped within the beast/troll.

A wonderful webcomic. Great story. Great art. Amazing/unbelievable rate of production (never seen anything like that at this level of art, I think).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Only learnt about this comic two days ago, and binged it.
    Definitely a slow start, but I'm pretty happy that I stuck until the pacing changed. Can't wait to see what happens next!
    That last part with the dog (and the kittens, I guess) was really depressing, and that Emil, of all people, tried to empathize and help it was heartbreaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, there is a thread here!

This comic and its higher echalons of fandom are great!

I predict Emil and Reynir bonding over caring for the Heart Kitten.
    Despite everything, its still me.