New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Question about the original version of The Hobbit

A friend of mine told me that she (and her roommate) both have a recollection of the Necromancer actually showing up in the original print version of The Hobbit during the Battle of the Five Armies. She said that was one of the things that Tolkien changed along with his correcting the story of how Bilbo got the Ring in Riddles in the Dark. The thing is, I'd never heard that before, and I can't find any mention of that online - though perhaps my search-fu is failing me.

Does this sound familiar at all to anyone else, or is she either pulling my leg or suffering from phantom memory? (She was also CERTAIN that in the book, Flil and Kili didn't BOTH die, to the point where we actually bet on it before we looked it up, so I'm suspecting the phantom memory option here, but...)
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question about the original version of The Hobbit

I've never heard of this before, and it's certainly not in the edition I grew up with. In the original book, the Necromancer was driven out of Dol Guldur by the White Council, and never made an appearance anywhere near the Lonely Mountain.

Your friend's version might have been in one of Tolkien's early drafts, but not in The Hobbit proper as I knew it. I'm suspecting phantom memory.

3. - Top - End - #3

Seconding. I've read a pre-retcon version and the Necromancer gets no more mention than in the version we all know

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

On the bright side, you have the opportunity for another bet here.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    On the bright side, you have the opportunity for another bet here.

Harder to prove, though. I'd need to track down an actual first edition.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    ~ ~ ~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I've read quite a few weird early versions of Tolkien stuff as it's become available, and I've never seen any mention of the Necromancer at the Battle of the Five Armies.

Not saying that such a version doesn't exist, of course, just that I've never come across it in moderately extensive Tolkien-delving.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    I've read quite a few weird early versions of Tolkien stuff as it's become available, and I've never seen any mention of the Necromancer at the Battle of the Five Armies.

Not saying that such a version doesn't exist, of course, just that I've never come across it in moderately extensive Tolkien-delving.
    It would be odd though if it did. The Necromancer exists in the story to take Gandalf away from our intrepid heroes. Reinserting him at the end doesn't really sound like Tolkien stylistically. I would say Phantom Memory, especially since I can see how she would come to that conclusion for the climax, but I'm aware of no revisions in that area. If there's a version where Fili and Kili somehow survived the battle, it must precede Dain's insertion into the story, which would be rather interesting.

Edit: True or not, it might be entertaining knowing what she thought the necromancer does in the battle. Any physical description and whatnot. In the Disney Princess thread, someone thought Dumbo's mother died, and before we could hear the interesting reminiscence of how, another poster corrected her.
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2015-01-02 at 01:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have an annotated version which usually talks about large changes between the editions. However, there is nothing about this in there. In addition, I have heard no one mention this before, including a friend who owns a first edition copy. If it turns out your friend is referencing some early material, I'd love to know what it is.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    It would be odd though if it did. The Necromancer exists in the story to take Gandalf away from our intrepid heroes. Reinserting him at the end doesn't really sound like Tolkien stylistically. I would say Phantom Memory, especially since I can see how she would come to that conclusion for the climax, but I'm aware of no revisions in that area. If there's a version where Fili and Kili somehow survived the battle, it must precede Dain's insertion into the story, which would be rather interesting.

Edit: True or not, it might be entertaining knowing what she thought the necromancer does in the battle. Any physical description and whatnot. In the Disney Princess thread, someone thought Dumbo's mother died, and before we could hear the interesting reminiscence of how, another poster corrected her.
    She thought she remembered something about the specific reason for Gandalf leaving to deal with Necromancer stuff was to cut off the Necromancer's own army that was going to be coming to the battle, so when the Necromancer did show up he was without his expected reinforcements.

I wonder if she's confusing that with what Aragorn did to Sauron's naval reinforcements for the Battle of Pelanor Fields? Though of course Sauron wasn't personally present at that battle, either.
    ~ ~ ~

10. - Top - End - #10

Gee whiz, she probably thinks the hombett was the one who slew the dargis.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link