New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Stupid Psionics Question

So am I missing something, or is Telepathy not a psionic power? I can find a Telepathy Discipline, but not a Telepathy power. The only way to get telepathy is an item or a Special Ability?
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Stupid Psionics Question

Mindlink is a level one Telepath power that forms a telepathic link with a target.

3. - Top - End - #3

ElfPirate

Yes, but it's not Telepathy.
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

What specifically do you mean when you say "Telepathy?" Because there are many options.
    • There's the Telepathy special ability, which is basically a form of speech and a prerequisite for Mindsight.
    • There's the Missive power, which sends a one-way message but requires a common language.
    • There's Mass Missive, which is the same thing but multiple targets (basically a telepathic tweet).
    • There's Mindlink, as mentioned, which allows back-and-forth without a common language.
    • There are Read Thoughts and Mind Probe, which let you read minds.
    • There are Psionic Suggestion and Psionic Dominate, which let you control minds.

To my knowledge, there is no power simply called Telepathy, but that's an annoyingly generic name for something that's supposed to do a specific thing, anyway. If you want Telepathy (the special ability), I'd suggest taking the Telepathy ACF that grants you the special ability at level 5.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfPirate

I mean the prerequisite for Mindsight. It just seems weird to me that it is not available as psionic power.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really weird. Talking w/o language is just usually an ability. Dipping mindbender is usually the go to method for grabbing telepathy and then mindsight.
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlek Flamehai View Post
    I mean the prerequisite for Mindsight. It just seems weird to me that it is not available as psionic power.
    If it were a power, then you could only use Mindsight while that power was active, or else you wouldn't qualify for the feat. You would either have to spend points on it or acquire a source of persistent power. That's silly.

As Renen points out, Telepathy (the ability) is simply a language ability, like talking. And Mindsight is simply a vision ability, like Darkvision or Tremorsense. One of the key advantages of either is the fact that you don't have to spend PP to use them; basing them on a theoretical power gets rid of that advantage. At that point, you might as well turn Mindsight into a psionic power as well, rather than an always-on feat.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Telepath Psions have an ACF to trade out their 5th level bonus feat for Telepathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting