New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Default Re: The Necromancer IC

Right boss - immediately. Despite her initial reluctance, Felidae snaps into action efficiently and quickly. Suddenly, you see her in a new light. She might not be on the level of the imperial infantry - but she's a seasoned combat veteran in her own right.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

When they are done lifting their bare camp, Thanat says: "Alright, let's move. Keep the druid's potion handy." I just wish I had asked what it was for exactly...
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

The druid made it pretty clear that they are for 'not being seen'. He might have been able to be a bit more specific though.

Packing up camp takes a matter of seconds. Rolling up bed rolls, throwing on back packs. One thing that is cause for some concern is the horses: If you mount up, you will be spotted pretty much instantly. Right now they are out of sight - sheltered by large rocks at the base of the mesas. If you pursue (and want to be unseen), you do so on foot.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

"We do not know how long the druid's potion will last: we should drink it when we are close to our objective." Thanat looks at their mounts: "We'll have to leave the horses, obviously. I can only hope we'll be able to come back and collect them once we are done..."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Felidae assures you the horses are better trained than that - they will stay put unless they come under threat.

The gnolls are tall, and thus easy enough to keep in sight, but on the other hand they are fast and durable runners, so if you want to keep up, you'll need to hustle.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

So be it, then. Let's just hope their destination is nearby.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

You follow the two gnolls across the plains towards the ravine. Soon enough, the two of them disappear down the slope and out of view.

The grasslands are reasonably fertile, despite getting somewhat irregular rainfall for most of the year. However, every spring and every fall, torrential rains pour across the entire plain - and it is this rain that has carved out the ravine, where the water pours down between two mesas that happen to be close together.

It is dry now, and as you get close enough to see, it looks slightly hazardous: It's a long, twisting slope of loose screen and unstable footing. The two gnolls are out of sight, but you can hear their passage echoing around the ravine.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Any time a dice roll is to be made, I do not mind you rolling for me to save time. Link to my sheet is in my sig.

Thanat looks dubiously down the ravine. He considers using the druid potion but decides against it: they would need something not no be heard, not seen. Instead, he gestures for Felidae to keep going with extra care. He also asks Blackwing to keep an eye on their quarry as they navigate the treacherous path.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

You continue down along the ravine, as it twists and turns it's way down into shadow. Felidae takes the lead, as she is better at moving stealthily. At one point, she looks back over your shoulder and says did it also occur to you that this place would be perfect for an ambush?. She smiles wickedly. You're unsure why.

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

Felidae:
    Move silently: (1d20+7)[22]
    Listen: (1d20+3)[15]

Thanat:
    Move silently: (1d20+1)[6]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[15]

No sooner have you consumed her little statement than you hear the sound of someone coming down the ravine above you.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-03-01 at 03:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat manages to repress the urge to curse as he hears the sound coming from above. His hand goes to the druid's potion and he gulps it down in one swallow, then moves to hide. His eyes stay on Felidae: surely she wouldn't...

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

As you drink the potion, your skin and clothing changes colours to match the surroundings. Felidae follows suit, and the two of you find places to stay out of sight among the rocks and vegetation.

Soon, the hunting calls of the gnolls echo through the ravine - from both sides of you. You are in a small, level area, rugged terrain with some obstacles, rocks and brush.

Spoiler: The terrain
    Show

The space you're in is 3 squares wide by 8 long. You're both hidden in the middle. At either far end of this space, the ravine narrows - to the west, it narrows to one square, and goes on like that for another 8 squares. The other way to the east, is narrows to 2x2, then to one square. You came from the east.

You may roll initiative. You're not in combat rounds yet though.

I should point out that it sounds like they mean business. You hear rather a lot of them.

Oh ... and roll some spot, too. Remember the bird.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    ThanatSpot - (1d20+4)[21], BlackwingSpot - (1d20+7)[22]
    ThanatInitiative - (1d20+5)[10], BlackwingInitiative - (1d20+2)[9]

"Hearld, I should have asked sooner: what happens to a summon if it gets thorn to pieces? Will it be lost forever?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

The Host are not immortal, Lord. But they are expendable. The world is nothing if not full of souls. Of course each is different - but they serve equally.

As you and Blackwing look about, you see a cloaked figure watching from atop the cliffs. Heavy furs, a gnarly old staff, and a buzzard perched on his shoulder. As he sees you watching him, he turns and stalks off.

Spoiler: More stuff
    Show

Felidae, initiative: (1d20+3)[9]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat watches the man stalk off. He must be involved somehow, he thinks. Still, they are in no position to find out. He looks around again: by the sound of it there are too many enemies to fight, even if by surprise. What they need is a distraction. When everyone's attention is turned elsewhere, the two of them will slip quietly dow the path. Thanat gestures to Felide that he means to continue down the path later on, and that she should wait for his clue.

Herald, on my mark, bring forth the Fury.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-03-02 at 12:07 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

You do hear approaching enemies from both sides. It would be a sloppy ambush if you could simply sneak off =)

However, you're both out of sight, meaning you have the chance of a counter ambush. And ....
    Spoiler: ...
    Show
    .... don't be timid, I'm not setting you up to lose. Go big, man. Destroy them! =)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Spoiler: ...
    Show
    .... don't be timid, I'm not setting you up to lose. Go big, man. Destroy them! =)
    That goes to show we have not been gaming at the same table

As the enemy approaches, Thanat remembers the scrolls he made. He frantically scrambles for one: Mage Armor. He unfurls the small piece of parchment and activates its magic on himself, speaking with the lowest voice he can manage. Then he makes one last gesture to Felidae: we fight.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

Felidae readies her bow, and sights down towards the west - where the enemy must come one at a time, at most.

At the same time, the herald replies:

I stand ever ready, Lord. Command, and it shall be as you wish.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearld, cover our backs: call forth Despair and have him hold up enemies in the east until we are done dealing with the ones on the other side. Have him act defensively if you can: we need time to dispatch the others. And if one of them tries to strike at me, do what you can to deflect the blow.

That a said, Thanat turns westward as well. He has his crossbow in hand, and he is ready to magic to sleep the first group of Gnolls that shows up.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-03-03 at 01:45 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Everything is silent for a while - then a hunting call, a long yipping laugh, shatters the silence, and the gnolls come running. There are many of them, more than you even thought there would be. Sporting a range of wicked weapons and patchwork armor, they charge into the open bit of the ravine you occupy. However, since you've hidden yourselves well, they falther slightly without a clear target to cut down.

And so ... the herald speaks, his whispered voice somehow audible despite the din of battle:

Arise, Despair - guard the east, and let none pass!

Ardvil rises from the ground, tendrils of icy fog curling at his feet. Even at a distance, you feel the aura about him - utter hopelessness, the crushing knowledge that things are as bad as they can possibly be, and they will remain that way, for ever. And ever.

Show

Roll initiative. Also, you have a surprise round. For this, the gnolls have no dex, and since they are charging, you get an additional +2 to attack rolls.

I shall roll for Felidae and Ardvil.

Felidae: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

Ardvil: (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (1d12+5)[8]

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I believe we already rolled for initiative: Thanat 10, Felidae 9, Blackwing 9 (not that he has much to do). Let me know if I need to roll again, or feel free to do it yourself to speed things up.

Can we get a rough estimate of the numbers arrayed against our 'heroes', that they can see?

In any case, Thanat will open up with a sleep spell, trying to catch multiple enemies in its AoE. It there's another group still up, either east or west, he will cast another of the same, otherwise he will use his crossbow.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-03-03 at 03:36 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

Show

You did? When did this ... OMG YOU DID?! Aha ... right, well that's in order then.

Numbers are tricky, because the ravine twists - but you can see six thus far, three from each side. Sleep is fine, but ... when you cast spells, I'd appreciate stuff like save dc's. It's 14, I know, but it's (likely) easier for you to remember than for me.

Front two gnolls, saves:
    Gnoll 1: (1d20)[18]
    Gnoll 2: (1d20-1)[2] (berserker - a little less wise than the average gnoll)

The third one is the one Felidae aims for. However, she misses, so nothing comes of that.

One gnoll falls under the influence of Thanats spell, dropping head first into the ground. The other shakes off the spell, and continues on. Now, it is in the nature of gnolls to charge - but they have the terrain against them. They come on as fast and as hard as they can, but over all the rubble, stringy brush and other hindrances, that doesn't amount to much.

((and that's it for the surprise round - you go again on regular initiative, then it's the gnolls' turn))
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-03-03 at 04:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Sorry, I did not think of that. Will do next time...

Seeing as there are still at least two Gnolls standing on the east side and nothing else to stop them, Thanat cast another sleep spell and hopes for the best.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

Thanat casts another spell, Felidae ***** and shoots another arrow, and Ardvil swings his giant sword once more - all while the gnolls are still getting their bearings.

Spoiler: Rolls and stuff
    Show

Felidae: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

Ardvil: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (1d12+5)[17]

Gnoll 1: (1d20)[7] still vs 14
    Gnoll 3: (1d20+4)[10]

In all the action, the dry whisper of the herald: The fury, lord - shall I call upon it?

As the two visible gnolls to the west both keel over, felidae swirls and puts her arrow in the gnoll Ardvil already wounded. It falls, as Ardvils sword describes a giant arc at the apex of which if cuts one gnoll cleanly in two.

More enemies round the corners, but all the three first ones are down to the west, and two of the ones east are quite dead.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-03-03 at 06:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

West side, please. Avoid sleeping targets. whispers Thanat as he aims his crossbow for the next enemy to arrive in that direction.
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+1)[21], Damage - (1d8)[3], Crit - (1d20+1)[9] (19-20/x2)

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

As you command!

The herald immediately summons the Fury, right on top of the sleeping targets. The swarm spreads out, filling a long space up the ravine. It is an ugly thing, even at a distance, filling you with a quiet dread. Felidae however, having never seen it before, actually takes a step back, swearing whoa f..., what is that thing?!

Spoiler: More rolls and more stuff
    Show

The swarm takes up three squares. In each of these squares there are two gnolls - one upright, one sleeping like a baby. They all take automatic damage. Then .... well then they will take damage again if the step into another area of the swarm. That means that the lead gnoll can escape, the next one takes more damage, and the last one takes even more damage.

And the poor saps who need to stand up have it worse than that.

On the other end, one gnoll tries to fight Ardvil, and another two try to run past him.

Swarm damage:
    Gnoll 4: (2d6)[2]
    Gnoll 5: (4d6)[12]
    Gnoll 6 (6d6)[25]
    Poor sap 1: (2d6)[6]
    Poor sap 2: (2d6)[7]
    Poor sap 3: (2d6)[8]

Ardvil, attack of opportunity: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (1d20+5)[6]

Gnolls vs Ardvil: (1d20+5)[17] - this is another berserker
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Banned

As you command!

The herald immediately summons the Fury, right on top of the sleeping targets. The swarm spreads out, filling a long space up the ravine. It is an ugly thing, even at a distance, filling you with a quiet dread. Felidae however, having never seen it before, actually takes a step back, swearing whoa f..., what is that thing?!

Spoiler: More rolls and more stuff
    Show

The swarm takes up three squares. In each of these squares there are two gnolls - one upright, one sleeping like a baby. They all take automatic damage. Then .... well then they will take damage again if the step into another area of the swarm. That means that the lead gnoll can escape, the next one takes more damage, and the last one takes even more damage.

And the poor saps who need to stand up have it worse than that.

On the other end, one gnoll tries to fight Ardvil, and another two try to run past him.

Swarm damage:
    Gnoll 4: (2d6)[6]
    Gnoll 5: (4d6)[17]
    Gnoll 6 (6d6)[20]
    Poor sap 1: (2d6)[10]
    Poor sap 2: (2d6)[10]
    Poor sap 3: (2d6)[3]

Ardvil, attack of opportunity: (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage: (1d20+5)[23]

Gnolls vs Ardvil: (1d20+5)[24] - this is another berserker
    Damage: (1d8+5)[8]

The eastern end of the ravine is a massacre. One gnoll manages to escape the Fury, barely hurt, while the others succumb almost immediately, panicked howls and screams to accompany the rivers they bleed in the last few moments of life.

Three gnolls are closing in. They don't have range on you - but next round they will.

No more seem to be coming.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll tell you what it's not: it's not trying to kill us" says Thanat to Felidae's hesitation. He cast one of his last remaining spells on the closest approaching enemy, trying to Daze it momentarily.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daze: DC 13 Will or be dazed for 1 round

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

I rolled a d20 for damage. But no worries, I rolled off-screen instead, and it worked out as intended anyways.

Two gnolls make their way past Ardvil, but he isn't having any of that. Ignoring the gnoll attacking him, he turns in pursuit. The gnoll gets a free attack, but Ardvil shrugs it off like it was nothing. Of course not feeling any pain makes that less impressive than if he were still alive.

Felidae focusses on the gnoll approaching from the east, sending two quick shots at it ((and she gets a bonus to hit, because I have thus far forgotten she has rapid shot)).

Show

Gnolls vs Ardvil: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]

Ardvil vs Gnoll: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (1d12+5)[12]

Felidae vs. gnolls: (1d20+6)[7] and (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (1d6)[1] and (1d6)[1]

The remaining gnoll gets the privilege of trying to save - will vs 13: (1d20)[14]

Felidae is so sad right now.

Ardvil misses. That means all three gnolls finally have a chance reach Thanat and Felidae.

Show

To avoid double posting ... I'll roll dice. 9/9/12/2 ... as follows:

First Ardvils AoO as a gnoll once again leaves his tackle zone. He cuts the gnoll down, further reducing the remaining number of enemies.

Two gnolls reach Thanat and Felidae. One strikes at Thanat, getting a 12 vs his ac of 19 I think, including mage armor. A miss. Another swings it's axe at Felidae, hitting 15 vs her ac of 17. Another miss. Finally, the last gnoll attacks Ardvil from behind, getting a 5 vs 15. Miss, miss, miss.

The turn goes once more to the heroes.

All of the above is, btw, without even counting that all enemies have -2 to attacks around Ardvil. So they do even worse. Gnolls are no match for you.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-03-04 at 05:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Thanat's AC is 11 + 4 (mage armor) = 15. Still a miss for the Gnoll, fortunately. With total defense it does rise up to 19.

Thanat knows he is just not cut for melee combat. He does his best to avoid getting killed as he waits for reinforcements to arrive and help him out.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Show

Oh! You had already included that on your character sheet? Right.

Anyways, the fight is basically over.

The gnolls finally managed to make it into melee - but too late. As the fight commences, the Fury - left with no living targets to devour - starts moving towards the living gnolls that remain. As the survivors see that, their courage breaks, and they flee. Felidae sends a few parting shots after them, and downs another, but two manage to make their escape.

In the aftermath, Thanat and Felidae are unscathed in a fight vs. 12 gnolls. It wasn't a fair fight by any stretch of the imagination - 12 gnolls should have been able to finish of two humans with very little trouble. The dead litter the ground - some broken by Ardvil, others shredded by the Fury.

Felidae, already shocked by the appearance of the Fury, now also gets a closer look at Despair - and she is clearly terrified. Even when the herald dismisses your minions, she is still visibly shaken by her new knowledge of precisely what Thanat can do.