New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Lord of the Rings: Why all the Gandalf love?

Quote Originally Posted by miner3203 View Post
    According to the Silmarillion, Gandalf probably could have slain Smaug, but not easily. It is very probable that he would have died in the process, something that would be better if it could be avoided. Earendil slew Ancalagon the Black, Mightiest of Dragons, so it wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest that Gandalf could do the same, if he ended up using his full power (which he was instructed not to do by the Valar).

Nope. As previously stated, that was Gothmog, who was killed by Ecthelion of the Fountain in the Battle of Gondolin

The example of Fingolfin and Morgoth, also previously stated, proves this wrong. Also, the fact that the Istari were forbidden to "rule the inhabitants of Middle-Earth by force or fear" probably put limits on how many executive decisions they could make

Gandalf was not all-powerful. He could have been one of the most powerful beings in Middle-Earth, yes, but (a) using his true power was forbidden, and (b) even his true power would not be able to defeat Sauron, who was the Lieutenant of Morgoth. Whether he would be able to take down the Witch-King is questionable.

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire" - simply a reference to the fact that he, among others, serves the Valar
    "Wielder of the Flame of Anor" - referencing the powers he has as a servant of the Valar, or the fact that he carries the Ring of Fire
    "The dark fire will not avail you here, flame of Udun" - I can't figure out how this could suggest that Gandalf has immense power
    "Go back to the Shadow" - See above
    "You cannot pass!" or "YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!" - epic, yes, but hardly more than a battle-cry

While Gandalf is certainly a power player, he is not the all-powerful god some make him out to be. If I had to rank him, I would put the list like this:

1. Eru Iluvatar
    2. Morgoth Bauglir
    3. Manwe Sulimo
    4. The Valar
    5. The Maiar at full power
    6. Fingolfin, Glorfindel, Beren, and other powerful warriors - also most Balrogs and Dragons
    7. Elrond, Gil-galad, Elendil, and other Second/Third age warriors
    8. The Istari in their physical Third Age forms. They were excellent advisers, strategists, negotiators, leaders, and sages, and were deadly in combat, but lacked the power to directly combat the more powerful beings in Middle-Earth at the time.
    Mostly agree, but why are balrogs weaker than other maiar? Did they lose something in the "fall"?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Mostly agree, but why are balrogs weaker than other maiar? Did they lose something in the "fall"?
    In Tolkien's work, Evil by its very nature diminishes. Mairon was more powerful, in some ways, than Sauron. Though he became more "powerful" in the sense that he could exert his influence on others more, he became lesser and lesser the more he did so. Power in Middle Earth is transitory, and by using power Sauron became weaker over time. Same with Balrogs. Same with Morgoth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #123
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Sometimes I think the mortals are more powerful in the Lord of the Rings than the supernatural beings:

70 trolls ... I think that this is a fair refutation of the idea that Tolkien only wrote about ordinary people.

Gandalf's account of the fight between himself and the Balrog sounds fairly epic as well:

So, although the OP's DM is an obvious and embarrassing fanboy fantastico, I don't think it's quite accurate to say that Gandalf was just an ordinary guy with wisdom. His wisdom mattered, but he clearly had some sort of magical power as well.

Remember his battle with the Ringwraiths on Weathertop, too:

Spoiler: Spoilered for length
    Show

The Lord of the Rings makes it clear he wields some pretty spectacular combat magic. It's just that Tolkien declines to show it "on-screen" because he was trying to keep it mysterious and legendary-seeming, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Council. He tells of the conversation in which Saruman revealed himself to be a traitor, and of how it ends:

The underlined part seems like it could be a hint that Gandalf knew that violence at this point was pointless, so he didn't try.

However, one could also go with the movie approach (which even includes the line "I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly") of having a fight at this point.
    Loving the direct quotes, that takes me back...

Yeah I do love it when folks talk about how "low magic" and "gritty" LotR was, and how Gandalf was like 5th-level at most. Then I just point to the first two quotes and say "no, badass god-wizards have been part of the genre since its codification and before."

As for Saruman beating him - yeah, I don't think it was as dramatic as the movie makes it out to be, I think Saruman simply turned his magic off (either by dominating him, some form of disjunction/AMF or something else.) As head of the Order he must have some way of bringing renegades in line, by force if necessary.

"They took me" seems to imply Saruman waved his hand and brought in some Uruks who were waiting outside to manhandle the poor geezer up to the roof, further lending credence to the "shut off my magic" theory. Though Gandalf's trick to escape by calling the Eagles was somehow overlooked, or not magical enough to be affected.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-28 at 09:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Loving the direct quotes, that takes me back...

Yeah I do love it when folks talk about how "low magic" and "gritty" LotR was, and how Gandalf was like 5th-level at most. Then I just point to the first two quotes and say "no, badass god-wizards have been part of the genre since its codification and before."

As for Saruman beating him - yeah, I don't think it was as dramatic as the movie makes it out to be, I think Saruman simply turned his magic off (either by dominating him, some form of disjunction/AMF or something else.) As head of the Order he must have some way of bringing renegades in line, by force if necessary.

"They took me" seems to imply Saruman waved his hand and brought in some Uruks who were waiting outside to manhandle the poor geezer up to the roof, further lending credence to the "shut off my magic" theory. Though Gandalf's trick to escape by calling the Eagles was somehow overlooked, or not magical enough to be affected.
    I don't think it's necessarily that Saruman could turn off Gandalf's power, rather that due to the nature of his mission (to which he was faithful) he was unable to specifically resist against Saruman. There's a line from the Silmarillion that applies here, even if it may not be exactly be correct: "Those that represent authority cannot themselves rebel."

Also, if Saruman had used Uruks to subdue Gandalf, he'd have reported it to the Council of Elrond.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Gandalf didn't call the Eagles. He had earlier told Radagast to have any bird or beast that had tiding to take them to Gandalf and Saruman at Isengard. Gwaihir came doing just that; reporting that the Nine were abroad and Gollum had escaped from the Elves of Mirkwood.

It's also worth noting that Orthanc is itself a place of significant power. The Ents are completely unable to damage it, and it's clear that Saruman is more or less safe from the outside while within it. Gandalf suggests that Saruman may be able to imprison a Nazgul using the power of Orthanc as well.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Also, if Saruman had used Uruks to subdue Gandalf, he'd have reported it to the Council of Elrond.
    Point, but the fact still remains that Gandalf said "they took me" - so unless Saruman and Wormtongue hauled him up to the roof themselves I don't know who else he could have meant. (Maybe they were cloaked and hooded? And he didn't realize Saruman was breeding them?)

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Gandalf didn't call the Eagles. He had earlier told Radagast to have any bird or beast that had tiding to take them to Gandalf and Saruman at Isengard. Gwaihir came doing just that; reporting that the Nine were abroad and Gollum had escaped from the Elves of Mirkwood.

It's also worth noting that Orthanc is itself a place of significant power. The Ents are completely unable to damage it, and it's clear that Saruman is more or less safe from the outside while within it. Gandalf suggests that Saruman may be able to imprison a Nazgul using the power of Orthanc as well.
    Yeah, the nullification could have come from the tower itself, I don't deny that. The point is that a guy who could take on the Nine (briefly) and live to tell the tale yet didn't even have a chance against Saruman must have had something working against him.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

Point, but the fact still remains that Gandalf said "they took me" - so unless Saruman and Wormtongue hauled him up to the roof themselves I don't know who else he could have meant. (Maybe they were cloaked and hooded? And he didn't realize Saruman was breeding them?)
    Gandalf commented on the orcs and wolves being in Saruman's service:

They took me and they set me alone on the pinnacle of Orthanc, in the place where Saruman was accustomed to watch the stars. There is no descent save by a narrow stair of many thousand steps, and the valley below seems far away. I looked on it and saw that, whereas it had once been green and fair, it was now filled with pits and forges. Wolves and orcs were housed in Isengard, for Saruman was mustering a great force on his own account, in rivalry of Sauron and not in his service yet. Over all his works a dark smoke hung and wrapped itself about the sides of Orthanc. I stood alone on an island in the clouds; and I had no chance of escape, and my days were bitter. I was pierced with cold, and I had but little room in which to pace to and fro, brooding on the coming of the Riders to the North.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #128

Huh. You know, I never realized how tall Orthanc must be. If those thousands of steps are literal... perhaps a foot per step (or half a foot, if the stairs are rather flat), that makes these stairs probably a good Empire State Building tall.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Huh. You know, I never realized how tall Orthanc must be. If those thousands of steps are literal... perhaps a foot per step (or half a foot, if the stairs are rather flat), that makes these stairs probably a good Empire State Building tall.
    Wikipedia says "more than 500 feet tall" but it isn't sourced.

EDIT: After a quick search, it appears to be from The Road To Isengard chapter of The Two Towers:

"A peak and isle of rock it was, black and gleaming hard: four mighty piers of many-sided stone were welded into one, but near the summit they opened into gaping horns, their pinnacles sharp as the points of spears, keen-edged as knives. Between them was a narrow space, and there upon a floor of polished stone, written with strange signs, a man might stand five hundred feet above the plain. This was Orthanc, the citadel of Saruman, the name of which had (by design or chance) a twofold meaning; for in the Elvish speech orthanc signifies Mount Fang, but in the language of the Mark of old the Cunning Mind."
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2015-01-30 at 10:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Orthanc was made by the Numenoreans, who were taught by the Eldar of Tol Eressea and were just generally 'more awesome' than other humans (for example, us).

So they knew how to manufacture a material that could take the strain, etc etc. Even the Ents couldn't begin to break it- instead, they were closer to breaking themselves.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #131

How many is "many" I wonder?

Discworld trolls count "one, two, three, many" so if you use that as precedent, then it could be as low as 4.

Still, 4000 steps to rise only 500 feet would mean 8 steps for a rise of only 12 inches - closer to a ramp than to a staircase.

12. - Top - End - #132

And that's only the stairs to get to that platform. Presumably, there's more rooms below it.

So, probably not literal, then.

13. - Top - End - #133

I thought the "narrow stair" ran around the outside of the tower - with Gandalf being unable to go down the inside because there's no way in, from the platform.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He was right to be obsessed with the ring, there were a handful of beings in middle earth that, had they gotten the ring, would have supplanted him with its power. Yes they in turn would have been corrupted, but that wouldnt have helped sauron.
    But that flips back around; it's only because of that obsession that this is an issue. Sauron's wickedness undid him.

In Unfinished Tales, there's an outline of a meeting of the Valar where they're discussing who they're going to send to Middle Earth to deal with Sauron. It's said that those they send "must be peers of Sauron" but also that they may not use that level of power.

Olorin AKA Gandalf, is initially reluctant to go - saying he fears Sauron. The Valar say that's all the more reason why he should go.
    I'm of the opinion that if God tells Guardian Angel Johnny "no full power for you", then it's actually harmful to discussion to keep bringing up that full power G.A. Johnny is literally forbidden from touching by divine mandate. It's a technicality that isn't relevant and only serves to dilute discussion and cause the very same misunderstandings that started this thread.

Anyway. Peers doesn't mean equal, necessarily. It means similar grouping. The silmarillion made it clear that there were different levels of power within those groupings, even some lower magnitude spirits who could compete with (or trifle with, if you prefer) the upper magnitude.

Although I couldn't say for certain. Only morgoth got any reference about personal power that I remember clearly.

15. - Top - End - #135

Yes his wickedness was his undoing, I just wanted to point out that his fears were justifiable. There were a number of beings out there capable of using the ring against him. And considering he was right to believe noone would actually intentionally destroy the ring, that not even entering his head was at least somewhat forgivable. It was pure luck the ring was destroyed instead of claimed by frodo or gollum (or even sam if it came down to it) and then swiftly returned to its true master because none of them have the power to resist its corruption or use it properly.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #136

BlackDragon

I thought the "narrow stair" ran around the outside of the tower - with Gandalf being unable to go down the inside because there's no way in, from the platform.
    I thought the exterior of Orthanc was described as smooth and unmarked for the entire height of the tower? I certainly never recall any mention of stairs on the outside, and since the tower was built as a defensive structure, having an external staircase would be a terrible idea--it just provides nice targets for archers when you want to send someone up to see what's happening!

17. - Top - End - #137

Gandalf commented on the orcs and wolves being in Saruman's service:
    So it was orcs that seized him then? I was right? (Maybe not Uruks yet.)

He was right to be obsessed with the ring, there were a handful of beings in middle earth that, had they gotten the ring, would have supplanted him with its power. Yes they in turn would have been corrupted, but that wouldnt have helped sauron.
    None of the ones actually capable of supplanting him wanted anything to do with it though. So ultimately he failed because he didn't know his enemy. #SunTzu
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #138

BlackDragon

None of the ones actually capable of supplanting him wanted anything to do with it though. So ultimately he failed because he didn't know his enemy. #SunTzu
    Gandalf even points that out as being the (only?) advantage to what they intended to do--Sauron simply could not conceive that anyone would simply throw the ring away, or attempt to destroy it, and that blindsided him to their plan until it was too late.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Gandalf even points that out as being the (only?) advantage to what they intended to do--Sauron simply could not conceive that anyone would simply throw the ring away, or attempt to destroy it, and that blindsided him to their plan until it was too late.
    Thats because nobody COULD bring themselves to destroy it. To take the ring is to let it take you in turn. Its entirely possible that if sam frodo and gollum all died at the edge of mt doom and gandalf flew in on an eagle to finish the job, that he wouldnt be able to bring himself to pick up the ring and throw it over the edge. By all measures the plan was a total failure with no hope for victory. 999 times out of 1000 the story would have ended with the nazgul flying to mt doom, picking up the ring from where it fell and bringing it back to his master. Or sauron absolutely crushing frodo or whoever claimed the ring and forcing him to walk all the way from mt doom to his tower to hand it over in person and be tortured for an eternity for daring to challenge him. This wasnt a brilliant plan, it was an unimaginably stupid plan that only worked through the rawest amount of pure luck ever seen.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #140

Thats because nobody COULD bring themselves to destroy it. To take the ring is to let it take you in turn. Its entirely possible that if sam frodo and gollum all died at the edge of mt doom and gandalf flew in on an eagle to finish the job, that he wouldnt be able to bring himself to pick up the ring and throw it over the edge. By all measures the plan was a total failure with no hope for victory. 999 times out of 1000 the story would have ended with the nazgul flying to mt doom, picking up the ring from where it fell and bringing it back to his master. Or sauron absolutely crushing frodo or whoever claimed the ring and forcing him to walk all the way from mt doom to his tower to hand it over in person and be tortured for an eternity for daring to challenge him. This wasnt a brilliant plan, it was an unimaginably stupid plan that only worked through the rawest amount of pure luck ever seen.
    So his assumptions, in order, were:

1) Someone strong enough to use the ring will end up supplanting me, so those are the biggest threat and the target of my armies. (Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel etc.)
    2) Someone too weak to use the ring will end up discovered by me eventually and crushed, letting me retrieve it.
    3) Anyone from groups 1 or 2 who actually makes it to Mount Doom will not be able to go through with it.

The glaring flaw in his assumptions, which I hope is also obvious to you, is that he didn't anticipate that they'd send more than one person in group 2, thus nullifying assumption 3. If the ring can only corrupt one person (i.e. the guy carrying or wearing it), and said person is too weak to use it offensively, all it takes is for their companion to give them a push once they're at the edge. Even if Gollum wasn't there, Sam likely would have tackled Frodo and they'd both go over. Hinging his entire safety on "no companions" is a ridiculous risk.

It was not the good guys who got "the rawest amount of pure luck" - it was Sauron himself. Elrond could have shoved Isildur and prevented all of this from happening had he been willing and fast enough. That glaring flaw with the ring - that it can only corrupt one person at a time - that is what could have proved to be his undoing back then, and ended up sealing the deal in LotR.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #141

So his assumptions, in order, were:

1) Someone strong enough to use the ring will end up supplanting me, so those are the biggest threat and the target of my armies. (Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel etc.)
    2) Someone too weak to use the ring will end up discovered by me eventually and crushed, letting me retrieve it.
    3) Anyone from groups 1 or 2 who actually makes it to Mount Doom will not be able to go through with it.

The glaring flaw in his assumptions, which I hope is also obvious to you, is that he didn't anticipate that they'd send more than one person in group 2, thus nullifying assumption 3. If the ring can only corrupt one person (i.e. the guy carrying or wearing it), and said person is too weak to use it offensively, all it takes is for their companion to give them a push once they're at the edge. Even if Gollum wasn't there, Sam likely would have tackled Frodo and they'd both go over. Hinging his entire safety on "no companions" is a ridiculous risk.

It was not the good guys who got "the rawest amount of pure luck" - it was Sauron himself. Elrond could have shoved Isildur and prevented all of this from happening had he been willing and fast enough. That glaring flaw with the ring - that it can only corrupt one person at a time - that is what could have proved to be his undoing back then, and ended up sealing the deal in LotR.

I think the isildur and elrond thing is movie only. But aside from that, first off, only the freaking hobbits showed any real resistance to the blandishments of the ring. Did sauron even know hobbits were a race that existed before his people tortured gollum? Had anyone else other than sam been with frodo, they would have bashed him over the head long ago and taken the ring themselves. Even with sam there, I really dont see sam hurling his beloved mister frodo into lava to destroy the ring. Personal feeling aside, the ring works on tempting you, and whispering to sam that there is another way would have likely brought the whole house of cards down.

The ring DOESNT just corrupt one person at a time. During the fellowship it was poking at frodo, boromir AND aragorn at various points. It not only corrupts the one wearing it, it whispers to everyone around it to come and claim it themselves. You can see it happen during the meeting at rivendell when they start fighting over what to do with the ring. It nearly turns into a blood bath because of the ring whispering to everyone, inflaming old hatreds, inspiring new ones, poking at the greed and lust for power and distrust of everyone there. The same thing happened when smeagol and his friend found the ring themselves, they fought to the death over it. And the closer they get to mordor, the stronger the whispers become.

22. - Top - End - #142

I think the isildur and elrond thing is movie only.
    The book version:

'Isildur took it, as should not have been. It should have been cast then into Orodruin’s fire nigh at hand where it was made. But few marked what Isildur did. He alone stood by his father in that last mortal contest; and by Gil-galad only Círdan stood, and I. But Isildur would not listen to our counsel.

‘”This I will have as weregild for my father, and my brother,” he said; and therefore whether we would or no, he took it to treasure it. But soon he was betrayed by it to his death; and so it is named in the North Isildur’s Bane. Yet death maybe was better than what else might have befallen him.
    Does seem like The Fire is fairly close by, at the point when Isildur refuses to destroy it, despite "counsel".

23. - Top - End - #143

I think the isildur and elrond thing is movie only.
    hamish beat me to it here.

But aside from that, first off, only the freaking hobbits showed any real resistance to the blandishments of the ring. Did sauron even know hobbits were a race that existed before his people tortured gollum?
    His torture of Gollum happened long before the Fellowship was formed, so this too points to a colossal stupidity on Sauron's part specifically. He should have taken one look at that thing, said "jesus, you had my ring how long? And you' didn't bring it to me or get yourself killed in all that time? You're clearly a dangerous people!"

Again, it's just abject failure to know his enemy.

Even with sam there, I really dont see sam hurling his beloved mister frodo into lava to destroy the ring.
    Shoving him, no - but going over the edge with him to save the world, tears in his eyes, sacrificing both of them - I could totally see Sam doing that.

The ring DOESNT just corrupt one person at a time. During the fellowship it was poking at frodo, boromir AND aragorn at various points. It not only corrupts the one wearing it, it whispers to everyone around it to come and claim it themselves.
    Sure, but the guy carrying/wearing it gets the brunt. Otherwise Sam and Elrond would also be "Man, you're so right, we should totally keep this thing and not go anywhere near the fire." And Boromir did fight it off, while the others (who had been around it just as long as he had) didn't even notice. If it can't corrupt bystanders equally to the guy carrying it, and doesn't help the guy carrying it fight off said bystanders, that's a critical design flaw.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-02-03 at 02:28 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #144

His torture of Gollum happened long before the Fellowship was formed, so this too points to a colossal stupidity on Sauron's part specifically. He should have taken one look at that thing, said "jesus, you had my ring how long? And you' didn't bring it to me or get yourself killed in all that time? You're clearly a dangerous people!"

Shoving him, no - but going over the edge with him to save the world, tears in his eyes, sacrificing both of them - I could totally see Sam doing that.

Sure, but the guy carrying/wearing it gets the brunt. Otherwise Sam and Elrond would also be "Man, you're so right, we should totally keep this thing and not go anywhere near the fire." And Boromir did fight it off, while the others (who had been around it just as long as he had) didn't even notice. If it can't corrupt bystanders equally to the guy carrying it, and doesn't help the guy carrying it fight off said bystanders, that's a critical design flaw.
    Elrond is an elf, by nature he is more resistant to the ring and its corruptive power than humans are. Not totally immune or anything, but more resistant than a human by far. I never claimed it had an equal amount of temptation and control over everyone nearby, I simply pointed out that yes, it DOES effect those nearby it. Some are just better able to resist it than others, such as one of the freaking most powerful elves currently in middle earth. Or a hobbit like sam that has no real desires the ring can twist towards its control beyond "turning the world into a garden" or whatever it tried on him. He loved his mister frodo way more than any personal ambition he had, so he was able to resist claiming it, however briefly. As for boromir fighting it off, he was getting sucked in at the council, got sucked in harder on the march, and tried to take it from frodo by force, only tripping and whacking his head after losing sight of frodo startled him out of the frenzy the ring pushed him into. Had they all stayed together past that point its likely boromir would have gone utterly insane.

Also, the whole thing with isildur. The elves knew the ring needed to be destroyed. They KNEW how freaking important it was to destroy it, and yet aside from saying, "Dude, you really should destroy that, its hella dangerous." They let him keep it. Now, its possible they decided honestly it wasnt worth committing an act of war on humans right at the end of the war against mordor, but its also possible the rings effect was subtly pushing them to let it go. To not force the issue. And after the ring abandoned isildur, it was found by two proto hobbits who proceeded to fight to the death over the ring. While gollum shows an amazing capacity for not turning into a freaking wraith, that wasnt the best sign of the ring not having a terrifying effect on hobbits as well, considering it forced two friends to try and murder each other to keep it. That was within seconds of it being discovered, not a long term issue.

Honestly the ring seems to have a wildly fluctuating effect on everyone around it. It doesnt seem to endlessly whisper to the fellowship, it seems to act at specific times for the best effect possible. Such as when the ring bearer is vulnerable. Or when a decision is being made on who will have the ring and what is to be done with it. Or at moments of weakness and grave danger, such as when the ringwraiths are near and frodo has to fight to keep from putting on the ring.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Elrond is an elf, by nature he is more resistant to the ring and its corruptive power than humans are.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR Tolkien
    'Alas, no,' said Elrond. 'We cannot use the Ruling Ring. That we now know too well. It belongs to Sauron and was made by him alone, and is altogether evil. Its strength, Boromir, is too great for anyone to wield at will, save only those who have already a great power of their own. But for them it holds an even deadlier peril. The very desire of it corrupts the heart. Consider Saruman. If any of the Wise should with this Ring overthrow the Lord of Mordor, using his own arts, he would then set himself on Sauron's throne, and yet another Dark Lord would appear...

'I pass the test,' she said. 'I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.'
    You sure there? I seem to recall Elves being More Powerful than humans, and thus more likely to fall to its own power. If even Gandalf and Galadriel could be tempted, why not a lesser Elf such as Elrond? Or Legolas? There's also the issue of Elves being...erm...Chaotic? Impulsive? Bipolar, that's the phrase. The Ring, if intelligent, would know not to tempt Elves too hard, since their notoriously hard to deal with, and it probably wouldn't want to chance being Mastered.

And after the ring abandoned isildur, it was found by two proto hobbits who proceeded to fight to the death over the ring. While gollum shows an amazing capacity for not turning into a freaking wraith, that wasnt the best sign of the ring not having a terrifying effect on hobbits as well, considering it forced two friends to try and murder each other to keep it. That was within seconds of it being discovered, not a long term issue.
    Smeagol and Deagol were also of a group of Hobbits who lived near the Bigfolk, and apparently caught some of their frailties, like a cold. Shire Hobbits were, morally, made of sterner stuff.

Honestly the ring seems to have a wildly fluctuating effect on everyone around it.
    I think that Power in general in Tolkien's stories ebbs and flows from time to time. Sauron's Ring seems, to me, to be partly a spell on his part to prevent his power from Waning. Power in LotR is finite, so finding a way to bind his power permanently would be a HUGE, unprecedented advantage.
    Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2015-02-03 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #146

BlackDragon

Does seem like The Fire is fairly close by, at the point when Isildur refuses to destroy it, despite "counsel".
    Doesn't Elrond explicitly say that this battle with Sauron happened on the slopes of Mount Doom? I seem to recall some statement to that effect.

27. - Top - End - #147

I don't remember from the book, but I doubt it happened like the movie, with the two kings standing alone at the cracks. There would probably have been bodyguards around and armies outside. "I pushed your king into a volcano because he was greedy" wouldn't come across all that well.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I don't remember from the book, but I doubt it happened like the movie, with the two kings standing alone at the cracks. There would probably have been bodyguards around and armies outside. "I pushed your king into a volcano because he was greedy" wouldn't come across all that well.
    Meh, they're elves - they could couch it in so much flowery language that the Men wouldn't even realize what happened

But in all seriousness, that was another golden opportunity the ring squandered. Two massive armies that barely trust each other, the head of one got his hands on the macguffin first - any evil artifact worth its salt would have had them spilling each other's blood within minutes, before getting lost in the chaos. Instead, it didn't seem to have any effect on Elrond at all, and only his own apathy/stupidity in the face of Isildur's derp gave Sauron a second chance at all.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Sauron hadn't returned until right about the time Bilbo took the Ring from Gollum, and much of the Ring's will was pretty heavily implied to be asleep until that time.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Doesn't Elrond explicitly say that this battle with Sauron happened on the slopes of Mount Doom? I seem to recall some statement to that effect.
    He does indeed:

"I was the herald of Gil-galad and marched with his host. I was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aiglos and Narsil, none could withstand. I beheld the last combat on the slopes of Orodruin, where Gil-galad died, and Elendil fell, and Narsil broke beneath him; but Sauron himself was overthrown, and Isildur cut the Ring from his hand with the hilt-shard of his father's sword, and took it for his own."