New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Children of Horun

Since I was a teen I've been working, slowly, on a fantasy setting--first as an effort to write fantasy novels like the ones I was enamored with, and now as an effort to have a fleshed-out world that can be used for tabletop RPGs and possibly other projects, both by myself and others.

Children of Horun is the latest version of the setting and by far the most detailed. I've been working on this document for the last several weeks, mostly getting feedback from my online gaming group and 4chan's /tg/ board. I figure I would post it here as well, to possibly get some feedback both on the setting and the constant work-in-progress of the document.

The most recent version of the setting doc can be found here as a PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3J...ew?usp=sharing

The tl;dr visit is basically:
    - An Earth-like world where intelligent species were crafted by extraterrestrial demigods from existing species (social goats, savanna apes, arctic lizards, and so on).
    - Divine casters in D&D games in the world are refluffed to be specialized arcane casters.
    - Tech is post-electricity but pre-industrialization: firearms, steam trains, airships, electrical lighting and heating, steam boats, early telephony, and so on.
    - Magic is difficult to learn to any degree of proficiency, and magic items are incredibly difficult to make.
    - Cataclysms have set the world back a number of times, globally twice, making technology availability widely variable.

Any input, be it praise or critique, is appreciated!
    Last edited by Kittenhugs; 2015-01-09 at 02:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Children of Horun

First of all, I just want to point out that this is an utterly amazing work of awesomeness! The work you've put into this is absolutely incredible, seriously. You have something of incredible quality here.

Couple things I want to point out. First of all, geography. Since you seem to have placed this world slightly higher up on the sliding scale of realism than most other campaign settings, you might as well do a little research into what other worlds are, or at least could be, like. The best place to start is our own world, Earth. It doesn't have to be memorizing a twelve-volume compendium of the Earth's geological processes, just simple things, like knowing that an area separated from the sea by mountains is often a desert due to the rainshadow effect (based on this, the region of Vetu where most of your nations lie would be plains, if not desert, in real-life, whereas the Desert of Zerush, lying just barely south of the World Wall's rainshadow, should have too much rain for deserts to form.).

Other than that, little to add. Watch your spelling and grammar, I noticed several typos. Also, maintain consistency. You mentioned nations fringing Silvest, for instance, but they don't show up on the map. Just little things like that. Also, Carce and Vetu are so utterly dwarfed by Silvest they just don't look like continents so much as islands. Scaling them would be nice. Above all, work hard at it and be critical of your work, but know when to admit you've done a good job. Have a nice day
    Kudos to smuchmuch for the awesome 11th Doctor avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

There are a couple of items I've seen elsewhere. Overall it looks great.

What software did you use for the maps?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aspekt View Post
    What software did you use for the maps?
    I use Photoshop, actually! Well, Photoshop and some brushes I've found around the web. I do wish I had started with a topographic map but the drawn symbols for mountains and so on are more fitting of a fantasy setting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kittenhugs View Post
    I use Photoshop, actually! Well, Photoshop and some brushes I've found around the web. I do wish I had started with a topographic map but the drawn symbols for mountains and so on are more fitting of a fantasy setting.
    I like it, nice work.