New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Books We're Reading, Canto II

So, here's the second thread devoted to the books we're reading right now.

I have several going on at the moment, and just picked up The Art of Big Hero 6 from my local library, who kindly purchased several copies for their system. I'm not a huge fan of anime per se, but I can appreciate the artists' gusto for the project, based on creating a visual identity that was a mashup of Tokyo and San Francisco.

As a fun style point, all the captions are presented in comic-book-style text boxes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Books We're Reading, Canto II

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Just how it's spelled.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #3

The Creature from Jekyll Island

by G. Edward Griffin

A mesmerising meander through the machinations of the money masters.
    Last edited by Donnadogsoth; 2015-01-11 at 12:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
    The Creature from Jekyll Island

by G. Edward Griffin

A mesmerising meander through the machinations of the money masters.
    I read "Jekyll" and then "Griffin", and immediately thought of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I'm currently reading The Pragmatic Programmer, but that's more like homework than reading

I intend on getting Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes soonish.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The West End Horror by Nicholas Meyer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

An Arsčne Lupin omnibus by Maurice Leblanc.
    I like Lupin III and was interested in the original. So far it's enjoyable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Moved on to the 2nd Locke Lamora book, and now that he's stopped shamelessly re-enacting the plot from Ocean's 11 it's starting to pick up.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

I intend on getting Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes soonish.
    I'm roughly a third of the way through that so far myself. Pretty good - creepy in all the right says without being quite over the top (yet). Thus far it's as much about Detroit as it is about the characters, and those are the parts that are the best.

There are a few aspects about the book that bug me, in particular the way she leans so heavily on a trope that is against forum rules to discuss, but it's not so bad that it prevents me from enjoying the book as a whole.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Rereading The Fellowship of the Ring again. I swear it just keeps getting better whenever it's on the shelf and I'm not looking.

I'm also making another stab at urban fantasy or paranormal romance or whatever the hell they're calling it these days with something called A Discovery of Witches. Previous attempts at the genre on my part had ended badly, and I'm not sure this one is going enormously better since it feels rather like a classier sort of Twilight. Or I assume it does, I haven't in point of fact read Twilight, but it's got the creepy stalker vampire part down pat. On the other hand the writing is enough above average, and creepiness aside (or included or something, this really isn't my area) the romance bits develop enough sexual tension to at least keep things interesting. Which is good because the plot is both barely there, occasionally takes several pages of pure nonsense, and is very dull. Overall I'm thinking in future when I want romance + magic, I'll stick with Lynn Kurland or just reread the first two Sharing Knife books again*. The whole urban part of urban fantasy just does not seem to work for me.

Also just bit the bullet and/or gave into temporary insanity and spent $250 on slipcase collections of Leigh Brackett. I'm totally stoked though, three massive lovely hardbacks full of the most expressively minimalist and hard boiled prose ever written about ancient Martian vampire-things and the barbarian mercenary man from Mercury who battles them ever written, finally mine. Now I just need to track down Brackett's westerns and actual hard-boiled detective novels, and my collection will be basically complete.

*Not the second two though. The first two run on a heady mix of equal parts family dynamics, saving the world while on the way to somewhere else, and steamy hot sex, all running through the simple yet effective fantasy of being an eighteen year old girl and eloping with Aragorn. The second two don't seem to have any world saving, the family dynamics are resolved, and there's absolutely no steamy hot sex, just leaving the on the way to somewhere else plot. Or nonplot, because there really isn't one.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by warty goblin
    …or just reread the first two Sharing Knife books again….

…Fawn…Bluefield…?

Also just bit the bullet and/or gave into temporary insanity and spent $250 on slipcase collections of Leigh Brackett.
    I'm voting for the temporary insanity. Or maybe stipends for grad students go a lot further these days.

: /

Rereading The Fellowship of the Ring again. I swear it just keeps getting better whenever it's on the shelf and I'm not looking.
    So true.

He slips in these lovely obscure Anglo-Saxon terms. You couldn't even use those words in fiction today. Only the Professor could get away with that.

In other news, because apparently I don't have enough books in the air, I'm also reading The Raven in the Foregate, the twelfth Cadfael novel. I should be reading these in order, but I watched the TV version a week or so ago and wanted to see how it compared to the original.

So far, it seems the TV version kept some elements and radically altered others. One of the main characters in the TV episode is evidently a bit player in the novel; another has roughly the same role in the plot, but a much more nuanced relationship with Cadfael himself.

Fortunately the titular raven himself seems very much the same, which is great, since Peter Guinness was harshly memorable in the role.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

…Fawn…Bluefield…?

I am, among other things, a total sap. Ergo I enjoy a book that skews more towards the romantic every now and again. I may only enjoy books that skew towards the romantic, for an appropriately broad understanding of the term.

I'm voting for the temporary insanity. Or maybe stipends for grad students go a lot further these days.

: /
    It's actually mostly Christmas money. But my stipend is quite nice, since I go to school slightly north of nowhere and they have to bribe the normal and non-insane people here somehow or another. I'd do it for much less, but the high today was like six degrees with a wind that could cut glass, and I guarantee the Texan students aren't enduring this for the view.

So true.

He slips in these lovely obscure Anglo-Saxon terms. You couldn't even use those words in fiction today. Only the Professor could get away with that.
    Indeed. I wish people still wrote like that. Unfortunately the tide of Relatable Characters With Flaws and endless scenes of Showing Not Telling and that grim reaper of beauty, irony have quite done away with that sort of thing. It's one reason I just spent a truly ridiculous sum on reprints of archaic science fiction stories, because there's a certain similarity in method between Brackett and Tolkien and other older writers. She's a lot grimmier and there isn't the same vast weight behind everything in her work, but it's very much still a story that's told, and not somebody writing what reads like a frame for frame recap of a movie.

(Not that I'm entirely against more modern styles. I read 'em, and like a fair number of 'em. But it's hardly the only effective way to tell a story, and the paucity of imagery and language encouraged by the style is occasionally stifling.)
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2015-01-12 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Screwed up the quote tags. One day I will learn that \ is not /

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I'm almost finished with Broken Monsters. Next up, I'm thinking of either Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem or Mary Rickert's Memory Garden, although I'm impulsive enough that I might end up grabbing something else entirely on a whim.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Most recently finished Sound Mind by Tricia Sullivan, the first SF book I've read in a while that I could comfortably describe as not being bad. There's a certain air of Philip K Dick's weirder stuff about it, which is intriguing if somewhat hampered by the book's "You just don't get it, man" attitude. There's a distinctly teenage feeling about it in some respects; fitting given the age of the protagonist but could probably get a bit annoying if the novel was longer than it is.
    The overall impression is somewhat like a conversation with a reasonably interesting, if mildly stoned, university student who fancies themselves a bit of a Free Spirit.

I've also re-read Animalinside by Laszlo Krasznahorkai and Max Neumann, but that's not really a work that's easy to describe. I'm not even sure it's best thought of as being a book in the first place. It being an artbook of a series of paintings and a series of similarly post-modernist/experimental prose pieces that were inspired by (and inspired some of) them. Then again, there is definitely a sort of narrative present in it (thematically, if not chronologically) so it may not be entirely inaccurate either (my local library ended-up putting a copy in the comics/graphic novels section).
    Regardless, it left an impression on me, even though I'm not generally into that style of art, so I thought it worth mentioning.

Back on the conventional side: this month's 'Crappy Thing My SF Book Group Have Inflicted On Me' is Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet: Dauntless. As one would expect from that title, it's a massively extended prologue. Everything that could potentially be a plot point is left alone, no doubt to be saved for the many, many, sequels. The result being that very little of interest happens in it, and the ends of the plot threads it does show fail to be even vaguely promising ("Some of these undeveloped characters might eventually do something"; "There might be some completely undefined aliens showing up").

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Finished Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch. Rivers of London is still the best 'Urban Fantasy' series I can think of. The only problem with Foxglove (Book 5), is that it just sort of...Ends. I'm hoping The Hanging Tree (Book 6), out sometime later this year, will fill in some if not most of the plot holes left by Foxglove. I really didn't like the way that Foxglove ended, or, rather, didn't end.

I'm now reading Forced Ascent by John Conroe, which is Book 7 of The Demon Accords. I don't have anything to say about it, because I've only just started. But, it already has referenced several events from Executable, which was supposed to be a spin-off, '5.5' novel. But, I've just looked up Executable, and it's now 'Book 6' - pushing Ascent to 7 - which seems weird. Ah well, I wasn't really a fan of Executable, so it's good to get back to the main story.

After I finish Ascent, I'll probably go back to the Honor-verse. I think I'm up to Book 14 or something.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'm working on The Golden Bough. Well, I've been working on it for a few years now, actually; it's really dense and long and it's hard to get through more than a few pages in a sitting, but it's been awesome for inspiring me for fictional religions and magic.

Same thing with The Logic of Chance, though that one's a bit less useful for inspiring fiction. I'd recommend it for anyone with a good understanding of biology in general who wants to learn more about evolution in particular, though it does require some understanding of math and genetics that wouldn't be covered in introductory university courses.

I'm also on an Agatha Christie binge. I just finished Hickory Dickory Dock. I don't think I realized when I first read them in middle/early high school how hopelessly sexist, classist, racist, and just generally regressive they are, but they're still page turners.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2015-01-14 at 04:28 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I've just finished Winter King, a survey of the life of Henry VII and one of the best nonfiction books I've read in years.

Winter King is the Michael Clayton of historical biographies: sharp as a tack from start to finish, humane and intelligent yet unstinting in its examination of corruption and power. It follows Henry from his early days as a fugitive on the Continent, through his victory at Bosworth and the establishment of his reign, emphasizing his tenuous claim and his clever use of royal pageantry in shaping the image of an everlasting dynasty.

As his rule solidifies, the book presents a thoughtful portrait of a remote and calculating monarch, who becomes ever more withdrawn after the death of his wife, and whose meticulous concern with finance deepens into a reign of economic terror, from which neither the mighty nor the middling are free. Much of the latter portion of the book details the machinery of a permanent national shakedown, the exorbitant fines and penalties exacted on the slightest of charges, enthusiastically pursued by corrupt high officials operating in semi-secret, unaccountable committees.

Intertwined with the dark workings of royal bureaucracy and Henry's growing international designs are figures familiar from the years ahead--Erasmus, More, Wolsey, Cromwell--and in some passages the book has the feel of a prequel, since the author assumes his readers are more familiar with the reign of Henry VIII, and keeps an eye on these figures as they rise through the society created by Henry VII. The latter part of the book is almost a parallel biography of the young Prince Henry, presented in boisterous contrast to his increasingly ill and crumpled father.

Among the many other figures at court, the author pays particular attention to Catherine of Aragon--something of a breathless ingenue on the international stage, but with the intelligence and gumption to teach herself her father's diplomatic cipher. Sidelined for years in a diplomatic and marital limbo, Catherine is treated far more sympathetically by the author than by the aging king, and even though we know the consequences of her remarriage, in the context of her first years in England it comes as a decided relief.

Fantastic book all around, and very much recommended for anyone who's interested in the period--or how the excuse of royal prerogative can send its prying tendrils beneath every fearful door.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've just finished Winter King, a survey of the life of Henry VII and one of the best nonfiction books I've read in years.

Winter King is the Michael Clayton of historical biographies: sharp as a tack from start to finish, humane and intelligent yet unstinting in its examination of corruption and power. It follows Henry from his early days as a fugitive on the Continent, through his victory at Bosworth and the establishment of his reign, emphasizing his tenuous claim and his clever use of royal pageantry in shaping the image of an everlasting dynasty.

As his rule solidifies, the book presents a thoughtful portrait of a remote and calculating monarch, who becomes ever more withdrawn after the death of his wife, and whose meticulous concern with finance deepens into a reign of economic terror, from which neither the mighty nor the middling are free. Much of the latter portion of the book details the machinery of a permanent national shakedown, the exorbitant fines and penalties exacted on the slightest of charges, enthusiastically pursued by corrupt high officials operating in semi-secret, unaccountable committees.

Intertwined with the dark workings of royal bureaucracy and Henry's growing international designs are figures familiar from the years ahead--Erasmus, More, Wolsey, Cromwell--and in some passages the book has the feel of a prequel, since the author assumes his readers are more familiar with the reign of Henry VIII, and keeps an eye on these figures as they rise through the society created by Henry VII. The latter part of the book is almost a parallel biography of the young Prince Henry, presented in boisterous contrast to his increasingly ill and crumpled father.

Among the many other figures at court, the author pays particular attention to Catherine of Aragon--something of a breathless ingenue on the international stage, but with the intelligence and gumption to teach herself her father's diplomatic cipher. Sidelined for years in a diplomatic and marital limbo, Catherine is treated far more sympathetically by the author than by the aging king, and even though we know the consequences of her remarriage, in the context of her first years in England it comes as a decided relief.

Fantastic book all around, and very much recommended for anyone who's interested in the period--or how the excuse of royal prerogative can send its prying tendrils beneath every fearful door.
    This sounds really interesting; great review and recommendation! Are there any books that you'd recommend as a survey of Henry VIII's life and reign, to gain familiarity with the people of that era, or would reading up on Wikipedia be good enough to enjoy Winter King?
    ithilanor on Steam.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Glad you liked my comments, and that you're interested in reading Winter King.

If you're not familiar with the period, I would actually recommend reading something about the Wars of the Roses, fought between the houses of Lancaster and York, because that's the immediate prologue to the reign of Henry VII. Despite his depredations on nobles and mercers alike, his reign was relatively stable (give or take the odd pretender) compared with what England had just been through.

And as much as I enjoyed Winter King, I have to say that the Prologue and the first chapter are dense with information about that period, and the Battle of Bosworth itself is barely described at all. But once Henry is crowned and his reign formally begins, the narrative snaps into realtime, so to speak, and it's much easier going.

As for Henry VIII, I'd actually recommend reading Winter King first, because it gives you enough information to have a very clear sense of who Prince Henry is as a person, especially in contrast with his father. If you're familiar with Henry VIII's story, then the nods and allusions in Winter King will make sense--but if not, I'd say go ahead and dive in anyway. There's more than enough of Henry VII's life to fully hold one's attention.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Glad you liked my comments, and that you're interested in reading Winter King.

If you're not familiar with the period, I would actually recommend reading something about the Wars of the Roses, fought between the houses of Lancaster and York, because that's the immediate prologue to the reign of Henry VII. Despite his depredations on nobles and mercers alike, his reign was relatively stable (give or take the odd pretender) compared with what England had just been through.

And as much as I enjoyed Winter King, I have to say that the Prologue and the first chapter are dense with information about that period, and the Battle of Bosworth itself is barely described at all. But once Henry is crowned and his reign formally begins, the narrative snaps into realtime, so to speak, and it's much easier going.

As for Henry VIII, I'd actually recommend reading Winter King first, because it gives you enough information to have a very clear sense of who Prince Henry is as a person, especially in contrast with his father. If you're familiar with Henry VIII's story, then the nods and allusions in Winter King will make sense--but if not, I'd say go ahead and dive in anyway. There's more than enough of Henry VII's life to fully hold one's attention.
    Hmm, ok. Any particular books about the Wars of the Roses you'd recommend, then? (And to be clear: you're talking about Winter King: Henry VII and the Dawn of Tudor England by Thomas Penn, correct?)
    ithilanor on Steam.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That's the one, yes. I hadn't realized there were so many other Winter-King-themed books out there.

As for books on the Wars of the Roses...whoof. Ordinarily I would recommend Alison Weir, simply because she writes a lot about the period--but after Queen Isabella, I'm loath to steer anyone in her direction.

What I would suggest, actually, is to do a little library-browsing and find a good survey book on medieval and early Renaissance England, something that might have a chapter or so on the Wars of the Roses. That's really all you'd need for a grounding to start Winter King.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's the one, yes. I hadn't realized there were so many other Winter-King-themed books out there.

As for books on the Wars of the Roses...whoof. Ordinarily I would recommend Alison Weir, simply because she writes a lot about the period--but after Queen Isabella, I'm loath to steer anyone in her direction.

What I would suggest, actually, is to do a little library-browsing and find a good survey book on medieval and early Renaissance England, something that might have a chapter or so on the Wars of the Roses. That's really all you'd need for a grounding to start Winter King.
    All right, thanks for the guidance!
    ithilanor on Steam.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

You're very welcome, and just this moment I found the book I'd been thinking of: The Land and Literature of England, by Robert M. Adams. This is fairly dated by now, but it's a good introductory survey of English history, both political and cultural. Either this or something like it would be a solid place to start.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I finished The Memory Garden. It was.... not very good. Anyhow, I figure now is as good a time as any to revisit Ursula LeGuin's catalog, so I've started The Lathe of Heaven today.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

24. - Top - End - #24
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Putting "Storm of Swords" to the side to read Cornwell's "The Empty Throne". I'm giving him one chance to tell something other than the same story he's told the last three books.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Set aside A Discover of Witches on account of it being below even my threshold for terrible rote fantasy. It admittedly wasn't helped by being urban fantasy, which severely interested the interesting world building stuff it could do, and after the midbook sex scene there seemed little motivation to continue.

That freed me up to pay appropriately loving attention to the later half of The Fellowship of the Ring. By which I mean read all the really excellent parts out loud to myself - and often read the poems two or three times. Since the really excellent parts constitute roughly 60% of the book, this slows things down considerably and deliciously. Galadriel in particular is fantastic to read aloud, almost as much fun as Gandalf.

Now it's on to The Two Towers. Which will be put on hold when the monstrously expensive Brackett collections show up (tip for getting to the top of the glacier of wood pulp that comprises my to-be-read list; cost a lot), but until then onward to Rohan!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

A Song of Ice and Fire (you guys know this). Also reading some Icelandic poetry - Drápa is a marvelous book. I recommend it to any Icelanders on the board.

Some of my reading this semester will be Levinas's Totality and Infinity, the Elder Edda, The Tain, Beowulf (again), and then a bunch of other books I can't recall at the moment.

My students this semester will read Maus, Persepolis, and Fun Home
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

oh, Maus.. great call.. it should be mandatory reading for everybody.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire (you guys know this). Also reading some Icelandic poetry - Drápa is a marvelous book. I recommend it to any Icelanders on the board.
    I keep meaning to do a full reread of A Song of Ice and Fire. I only read A Feast for Crows twice, and A Dance with Dragons once, without having read any of the previous books for years, which was completely unfair to the thing. It really deserves a proper revisiting.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

I just started reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, and wow it just reaches out and grabs you right from the very first few pages. It apparently is the first book in the author's "The First Law" series, and it scored great reviews on Amazon so I thought I would try it out via their used books. So far I am definitely glad i made the purchase!
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I keep meaning to do a full reread of A Song of Ice and Fire. I only read A Feast for Crows twice, and A Dance with Dragons once, without having read any of the previous books for years, which was completely unfair to the thing. It really deserves a proper revisiting.
    I have decided to stop reading and buying the books until the author is either finished or has pulled a Robert Jordan.. because I don't want to be left stuck someplace in between things, AND the delay between the books coming out makes it so that I should have to re-read them all every time a book comes out, or I won't understand a single thing that's happening.
    Show