New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended

Can we add Items: dagger to Jacinda?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended

This is nitpicky, but in 849 Tarquin says the glamered effect is "one of" his armor's enchantments. Should the fact that there are unspecified others be indicated on his entry?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bookguy View Post
    Can we add Items: dagger to Jacinda?
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Should the fact that there are unspecified others be indicated on his entry?
    Generally speaking, everything in the top post can be assumed to have unspecified others: characters probably have more feats than listed, carry some items we haven't seen yet, and have points in skills that we don't know about.

I've seen in some earlier thread that Tarquin's dwarf tossing suggests he has the Soaring Throw maneuver from Tome of Battle. Does that sound plausible or do people have another explanation for that comic?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

We now know that Crystal cost five times as much as an ordinary flesh golem. Does this give guidance as to what sort of golem she is?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd say Crystal is basic Flesh Golem added as Template. if Crystal is lvl 16, 16 extra HD at 5000 gp/hd brings the total cost to almost exactly 5 times basic Flesh Golem cost.

6. - Top - End - #156

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, that's the rationale I give in my games. For a great many things.
    "Make it so, Number Peelee." - Greywolfc
    Last edited by Crusher; 2015-02-02 at 12:03 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Why all feats have disapeared from Tarquin sheet ?

I guess it is the infinite deflection that has been voted out but Improved Sunder, quick draw and I guess Improved grapple can still be listed.

8. - Top - End - #158

I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Is it fly, or another spell that allows you to fly like overland flight?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Is it fly, or another spell that allows you to fly like overland flight?
    Because Overland Flight is a 5th level spell and a wand can only have 4th level spells or lower.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    Because Overland Flight is a 5th level spell and a wand can only have 4th level spells or lower.
    Excellent. Good to know! I'll have to add that to my Spell Compendium.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    Why all feats have disapeared from Tarquin sheet ?

I guess it is the infinite deflection that has been voted out but Improved Sunder, quick draw and I guess Improved grapple can still be listed.
    I can't comment on those feats, since I don't know them well enough to know if there are problems with them, but Tarquin is also missing a minimum level (whatever is enough to resist Holy Word completely), and he has spellcraft listed twice.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #163

I was wondering if Haley carrying Bandana could give us any indication about her strength but Elan in #923 was definitely heavier than Bandana is (male + chain skirt vs skinny female + leather).

Haley doesn't seem to go (much ?) slower than V when carrying Elan... I'm not very familiar about these carrying rules, but isn't the minimum of 13 strength quite low?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

About Tarquin's level, I believe he must be at least 16 (probably higher), since he ignored Holy Word and Durkon's caster level was 15 (Good Domain).

About Haley's Strenght, the description of the Fly spell states that the subject cannot carry aloft more weight than its maximum load, plus any armor he/she wears. It also says that subject's speed is reduced if he/she carries medium/heavy load.

If we assume that Elan is on the lowest point of the male human weight curve (124 lb), Haley must have a Strenght of at least 13 (Maximun load of 150 lb) to carry Elan + Chain Shirt (25 lb), if we do not take any other equipment into account. Since we know Elan has more than just 1 pound with him besides the Chain Shirt, it seems logical that Haley should have at least STR 14.

IF we assume Haley's flying movement has not been impaired by carrying Bandana, and assuming Bandana on the lowest point of the female human weight curve (89 lb, acording to PHB), Haley's Strenght should be at least 18(Light load of 100 lb), which I think unlikely.
    Last edited by D.One; 2015-02-13 at 11:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165

I was under the assumption that Rich ignores those flight carrying rules. I seem to recall something about V flying away with Roy, armour and all.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    I was under the assumption that Rich ignores those flight carrying rules. I seem to recall something about V flying away with Roy, armour and all.
    Indeed. We've tried calculating strength scores from flight carrying capacity before, and it has a strong tendency to result in either absurdly high values or the assumption that almost everyone has the same overly specific obscure feats. Or both.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going to make vague claims like that, you should post evidence. Handwaving doesn't get us anywhere.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    If you're going to make vague claims like that, you should post evidence. Handwaving doesn't get us anywhere.
    Interestingly, without a quote to know who you're responding to, this qualifies as vague.

The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    About Tarquin's level, I believe he must be at least 16 (probably higher), since he ignored Holy Word and Durkon's caster level was 15 (Good Domain).
    At least 17. Durkon had the Good Domain at the time, which gave his [Good] spells, like Holy Word, +1 CL.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    At least 17. Durkon had the Good Domain at the time, which gave his [Good] spells, like Holy Word, +1 CL.
    Huh, how do we not have that already? The Holy Word scene is cited for Nale, Z, and Kilkil's levels.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Huh, how do we not have that already? The Holy Word scene is cited for Nale, Z, and Kilkil's levels.
    I'm guessing it would be because Tarquin was listed at 21+ with Infinite Deflection, and when Infinite Deflection was removed due to lack of support, his minimum level was also removed without being re-checked for a lower possible minimum.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    No, I think it's still 16. Durkon was pegged at 14 at the time, which means that even with the Good Domain, he couldn't affect characters level 16 and over with Holy Word.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

23. - Top - End - #173

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Assuming you're referring to carrying capacity and flight, the math has been done a couple times in earlier versions of this thread. Off the top of my head, I believe it's been done for V carrying Roy and for Sabine carrying Thog and Nale. In both cases, the results were way out of line with the other evidence available - I seem to recall that it would have required over 18 Strength for V and high 20s for Sabine.

The math should be easy enough to repeat if you really want to, but it would be retreading old ground at this point. It's actually something that has been suggested as an entry in the thread's FAQ more than once.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2015-02-14 at 08:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I also remember Celia carrying Roy, which again resulted in strength somewhere in the 20s I think for Celia. Pretty much, every time a strength score was calculated based on flight carrying capacity, the result was in the range to be expected only from strength-based fighter types, often high level strength-based types loaded with magical boosts. And this was true for several different characters, none of whom were strength-based fighter types at all.

As for specifics, I'd have to go digging a bit, but I remember lengthy debates about it multiple times in previous incarnations of this thread.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I also remember Celia carrying Roy, which again resulted in strength somewhere in the 20s I think for Celia. Pretty much, every time a strength score was calculated based on flight carrying capacity, the result was in the range to be expected only from strength-based fighter types, often high level strength-based types loaded with magical boosts. And this was true for several different characters, none of whom were strength-based fighter types at all.

As for specifics, I'd have to go digging a bit, but I remember lengthy debates about it multiple times in previous incarnations of this thread.
    I'm fine with the final result that is that we should ignore those rules, but I'm not sure about how you get these results.

It can be considered that these flying characters can carry an heavy load, right?

Roy would be what... Around 260 lbs (this estimation is totally based on Dwayne Johnson's weight)? He's in casual wear, no armor, no weapon, 18 str seems sufficent.
    Still unlikely high for Célia anyway, even if she had bull strength casted off panel...
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I'm fine with the final result that is that we should ignore those rules, but I'm not sure about how you get these results.

It can be considered that these flying characters can carry an heavy load, right?

Roy would be what... Around 260 lbs (this estimation is totally based on Dwayne Johnson's weight)? He's in casual wear, no armor, no weapon, 18 str seems sufficent.
    Still unlikely high for Célia anyway, even if she had bull strength casted off panel...
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly

Flying requires a light load.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In fact, the Flight spell states that a medium or heavy load reduces its speed, but the subject still flies.

Anyway, the math still gives us high strenght numbers...

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

In fact, the Flight spell states that a medium or heavy load reduces its speed, but the subject still flies.
    Neither Celia nor Sabine are using spells, though.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    this estimation is totally based on Dwayne Johnson's weight
    I would just like you to know that I am from now on changing all my metrics to have Dwayne Johnson as the base unit.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #180

I would just like you to know that I am from now on changing all my metrics to have Dwayne Johnson as the base unit.
    Well, I kinda like to picture him as Roy if there was to be a movie.
    I wouldn't take him as a reference for Belkar though.

Edit: Though, now that I think about it...
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-02-16 at 05:24 PM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.