New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XII: GOTY, now with optionally free Cthulhu and Pony DLC!

Kitsanth happened to mention something about angry document spirits at the Centennial Gala. Alas the King and his government are currently extremely busy dealing with the aftermath of a recent event while all the astrologers cry because every sign in the heavens reads "IMPENDING DOOM". Unfortunately, that means there is no one present at the Gala who can respond to the Cree's request for information and so they are invited to send the King a letter (mark it urgent so it doesn't get buried by logistic reports) and he'll get back to you as soon as possible.

@Quinton: Concerned Sulvan's Fury... Firstly, according to my understanding, Zwergkampf is only held when the previous Primarch is lacking in male heirs. Said previous Primarch is according to my reckoning, Freki Son of Vali, a Razdissi Prince, who is only one hundred and fifteen years old as of the year five hundred, so probably still kicking as dwarves tend to be more long lived than humans. However, if he died, then either of his half Ashenite sons, Razkai (69) or Freki (65) would likely have inherited.
    I should probably have told you this before handing the country over to you, for which I apologise, and I totally understand if you want to change the government to something less dynastic. I don't really know why I'm complaining here.
    Actually, scratch all that, I'll just move that branch of the Toranath family into a non-executive role with an impressive sounding but pointless ceremonial title.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XII: GOTY, now with optionally free Cthulhu and Pony DLC!

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Kitsanth happened to mention something about angry document spirits at the Centennial Gala. Alas the King and his government are currently extremely busy dealing with the aftermath of a recent event while all the astrologers cry because every sign in the heavens reads "IMPENDING DOOM". Unfortunately, that means there is no one present at the Gala who can respond to the Cree's request for information and so they are invited to send the King a letter (mark it urgent so it doesn't get buried by logistic reports) and he'll get back to you as soon as possible
    The letter will be much more polite. It was hoped an Ashenian delegate would be on hand, but the real point of the Gala speech was to tell an international audience, "We are outraged! Here's why and you should be as well!"

Also the Ashenian complaint was an ice breaking foot note to the rest of the thing which, I'm sure you'll be glad to know, basically amounted to, "WE'RE ALL FACING IMPENDING DOOM! LET US PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!"
    ...with a vengeance!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

A quick pair of rules questions:

I thought that if your leader did not personally lead your military into battle, you used 1/2 military instead of full military. But I couldn't find it in the rules anywhere.

Second, if you have agents that provide military bonuses when not lead by your leader (trained warlords and privateers, respectively), is that ANY leader, or the leader of your people?
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    A quick pair of rules questions:

I thought that if your leader did not personally lead your military into battle, you used 1/2 military instead of full military. But I couldn't find it in the rules anywhere
    "If you have multiple battles going on at the same time, you have to decide which one your ruler is leading. All other battles your country is involved in, but your ruler is not leading personally, only get half the ruler's Military score as a bonus."

Under the "Using Military Units" section of the advanced military rules.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    @Quinton: Concerned Sulvan's Fury... Firstly, according to my understanding, Zwergkampf is only held when the previous Primarch is lacking in male heirs. Said previous Primarch is according to my reckoning, Freki Son of Vali, a Razdissi Prince, who is only one hundred and fifteen years old as of the year five hundred, so probably still kicking as dwarves tend to be more long lived than humans. However, if he died, then either of his half Ashenite sons, Razkai (69) or Freki (65) would likely have inherited.
    I should probably have told you this before handing the country over to you, for which I apologise, and I totally understand if you want to change the government to something less dynastic. I don't really know why I'm complaining here.
    Actually, scratch all that, I'll just move that branch of the Toranath family into a non-executive role with an impressive sounding but pointless ceremonial title.
    I wouldn't mind picking them up and running with them, I'd prefer it really. I just couldn't find any info on Sulvan's Fury on the Wiki and didn't feel like digging through all the old threads. I'll swap in Razkai for Barbarosa.

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Second, if you have agents that provide military bonuses when not lead by your leader (trained warlords and privateers, respectively), is that ANY leader, or the leader of your people?
    It currently only applies to not the leader of your people, but that may be in need of some review. Especially in regards to that aspect where it's someone else's non-leader and not someone else's leader.

EDIT: Map Updated & NPC's free resources for trade listed if they are attending the Centennial in the NPC Actions Post.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2015-01-30 at 06:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And of course, I find an enormous desert.

So, that leaves labeled threats* as: the Salterri Imperium, and [METAL/Tzalteclan, pending who has 100].

My stance on the war (Since that's all the rage these days): I'll sit in my corner and go for an empire while you people have your 'fun.' Just stay as far away from my lands as possible.

*People who border my capital

7. - Top - End - #817
    Barbarian in the Playground

Updated Political world map

let me know if you see any errors or have issue with acronyms or have issue with colours used and such.
    Last edited by Kitsanth; 2015-01-30 at 09:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I believe when looking at a southern region, all you need to do is flip a coin. On heads - it belongs to the Salterri Imperium. On tails - it will SOON belong to the Imperium.

31 regions...sheesh.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsanth View Post

let me know if you see any errors or have issue with acronyms or have issue with colours used and such.
    Thanks for updating it! The world truly is massive now...
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

9. - Top - End - #819

The Triumvirate has taken to calling itself the Radurjic Union recently, if you could make note of that for next time you update. Acronym would be RU (or perhaps RJU if you want to stick with threes).

In other news, we are running out of world. Considering how much we started with that's rather impressive. The day we've taken every region on the map we should throw a party.

10. - Top - End - #820

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    In other news, we are running out of world. Considering how much we started with that's rather impressive. The day we've taken every region on the map we should throw a party.
    I worry the game won't last long past that defining moment.
    But it will be a thing worth celebrating. A testament to the game's greatness and Morph's genius that the game has lasted so long and become so grand in scope.
    ...with a vengeance!

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    I worry the game won't last long past that defining moment.
    But it will be a thing worth celebrating. A testament to the game's greatness and Morph's genius that the game has lasted so long and become so grand in scope.
    There are other things to do... I have plans for that time.

Worst comes to worst, we write up all the info into a setting, put it in a book, and start again.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2015-01-31 at 12:27 AM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

I believe 133-135 are now part of Celero. There's also been a slight reshuffle in the north-central following Faedas's secession: Keldagrim (15B) is now Faedas, Wenyavuk (P2) Calorum, and Pryonia (16A) Hurosha. 156 is part of the Nanguang Prefecture, a NPC vassal of Morph's.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm unsure who the VSI is over down in 88 and 89.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm unsure who the VSI is over down in 88 and 89.
    Niemedaland Prefecture, not sure what's with the abbreviation though.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    I suspect it stands for "Vassal of the Salterri Imperium", since the same one is used for the (former) Jomani Kralstvo.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #826
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I suspect it stands for "Vassal of the Salterri Imperium", since the same one is used for the (former) Jomani Kralstvo.
    or in other words direct NPC vassals of the Salterri Imperium Heartlands
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I believe when looking at a southern region, all you need to do is flip a coin. On heads - it belongs to the Salterri Imperium. On tails - it will SOON belong to the Imperium.

31 regions...sheesh.

17. - Top - End - #827

An odd notion just occurred to me.
    What if we treated Diplomacy attacks as operating on the same rules as military ones?
    Except you only have one unit type.

Players can use actions to create Ambassadors. Each ambassador adds +1 to a diplomacy roll to sway a controlled region (contested 2d10).
    Same rules as military attack and defense, but utilizing a different stat and techs. Unit cap would be something like 5 per capital, one per province.

Though casualties wouldn't be a thing, which would be the incentive for using dip attacks over military ones.
    But espionage actions might be able to kill them.

Or, maybe instead of troops, you can throw stacks of resources at a diplomatic target?

Just brainstorming here, hoping no one minds...
    Just trying to think of ways to maintain the possibility of conflict that doesn't resort strait to violence.
    ...with a vengeance!

18. - Top - End - #828

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    Look. I think we're all missing the important point.

The Makgrull are here!

I will now be accepting the surrenders of those who want to be first in line for the new world order
    Be thankful I'm not present to hear that joke. The Pavonians wouldn't realize it's a joke.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

19. - Top - End - #829

Very nice! Thanks!
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Be thankful I'm not present to hear that joke. The Pavonians wouldn't realize it's a joke.
    Considering that they would never say such a thing IC, it wouldn't have mattered. Gengy says things, OOC. Makgrull do not.

@Wombat - Inbox. Clear it? Please?
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Ah! Thanks. I have a friend who's interested in joining, and the closest spot to Guilder I could scope him was 162, but I was unsure who the neighbors would be.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

Ah! Thanks. I have a friend who's interested in joining, and the closest spot to Guilder I could scope him was 162, but I was unsure who the neighbors would be.
    Have him take over the vast desert?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Have him take over the vast desert?
    Given that he wants to be involved on the research scene, that didn't seem wise.

Also, nice new avvie!
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2015-01-31 at 12:39 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

If a region has been discovered and explored by someone else, but it has now been uncovered... does that mean anyone can use means to claim it?

I ask because I am publicly declaring interest in acquiring U13; a region the Watcher found this last round. I have not changed my actions yet, because I don't know if I *can* use Diplomacy right now on U13. Thus why I am asking.

...also, while in game I wouldn't mind snagging the region, I know Way has that information about the region, and the Watcher was the one who discovered it. IC, I don't mind having the Makgrull Diplomacize-jerk moves, but OOC, I don't want to be unfair.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

If a region has been discovered and explored by someone else, but it has now been uncovered... does that mean anyone can use means to claim it?

I ask because I am publicly declaring interest in acquiring U13; a region the Watcher found this last round. I have not changed my actions yet, because I don't know if I *can* use Diplomacy right now on U13. Thus why I am asking.

...also, while in game I wouldn't mind snagging the region, I know Way has that information about the region, and the Watcher was the one who discovered it. IC, I don't mind having the Makgrull Diplomacize-jerk moves, but OOC, I don't want to be unfair.
    Son, let me introduce you to getting Guildered.

Step one: Attempt to diplo any discovered but unclaimed region.
    Step two: Fail.
    Step three: You've been Guildered.

Yes, you may attempt to claim any such region (bonuses or penalties apply of course, discoverer gets boni), but it can and will go horribly wrong sometimes.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2015-01-31 at 01:12 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

I know there isn't any territory there, but the desert at the edges of the map would actually be a great location to contain a desert of rust with a metal-based insectoid biome hidden within.

Just throwing that out there.

You can fluff out a territory without having to play said territory, right?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

27. - Top - End - #837

Indeed, especially because it also has caught my eye.
    Then again, I may be bartered with. And if that doesn't work, a roll of the dice will decide.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-01-31 at 03:52 PM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

28. - Top - End - #838

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    I know there isn't any territory there, but the desert at the edges of the map would actually be a great location to contain a desert of rust with a metal-based insectoid biome hidden within.

Given that the setting is defined by a "capitalism" I'm pretty sure that desert represents a lasting scar.
    If you're to do that, the insects would have to be strictly non-intelligent, as they can't be diplomatically courted.
    ...with a vengeance!

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    An odd notion just occurred to me.
    What if we treated Diplomacy attacks as operating on the same rules as military ones?
    Except you only have one unit type.

Players can use actions to create Ambassadors. Each ambassador adds +1 to a diplomacy roll to sway a controlled region (contested 2d10).
    Same rules as military attack and defense, but utilizing a different stat and techs. Unit cap would be something like 5 per capital, one per province.

Though casualties wouldn't be a thing, which would be the incentive for using dip attacks over military ones.
    But espionage actions might be able to kill them.

Or, maybe instead of troops, you can throw stacks of resources at a diplomatic target?

Just brainstorming here, hoping no one minds...
    Just trying to think of ways to maintain the possibility of conflict that doesn't resort strait to violence.
    It seems like a reasonable idea in principle, at least as a starting-point. Mechanical Diplomacy is at the moment perhaps a little over-simple and often a foregone conclusion for that reason, so getting some more applicable bonuses in which aren't just one-size-fits0all-techs on the action might be nice.

On the other hand, the military rules (while they work fairly well for the most part, I think) are the most complicated, clunky and argument-causing parts of the rules, and I'm not sure taking more of the rules in that direction is necessarily a good idea, especially since any rule that initially looks straightforward actually ends up being about five times as long as intended to account for loopholes, exceptions, unusual circumstances, etc.

It would also mean another thing to track.

When we do get round to revising the tech scene there might be space for them to fill in these gaps a little more than they currently do, perhaps.

If a region's been discovered any player can try to colonise it. Sometimes this makes more IC sense than not: Guilder did have a habit of trying to stick its flag in every new region anywhere in the world for a while. The country that discovered the region gets a bonus, though, so all other things being equal the discoveror has an advantage if more than one person is trying to colonise it.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post

You can, though it's best to ask permission first. Given the size and apparenty inhospitability of the desert, it's something of a special case, I think, like the poles. There may be GM plans for things to happen - or come out of - there, and since it's so huge I think the maximum that a single fluff-write-up would cover would be a very small portion of it, and there's probably an upper limit to how much of it should be covered in detail.

As Doom says, that it's not available for occupation also suggests that there's not a lot in the way of sentient life there, although I guess there probably are some nomad groups who might periodically emerge and could provide a source for them in future if new players join. There might well be ruins or other interesting things worthy of exploration or investigation, too, especially if the speculation that there was some sort of civilisation there destroyed in a disaster.

The desert might make an interesting location for the source or the like of round opener Events, though, and that might be a better way to handle it than regional write-ups. I guess talking to Quinton/Morph is probably a good idea before getting too enthusiastic about it.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

30. - Top - End - #840

And behold, here's the write-up for the Crystal Caves of Region 97!

Spoiler: Region
    Show
    Region: From the air, Region 97 seems to be nothing more than a vast blank snowfield, with here and there the occasional herd of caribou or pod of walruses. But the true beauty of this region lies under the surface, for the vast sheet of ice that covers this region is riddled with a network of caves and tunnels as intricate as anywhere else on Telluris, and it is in these caves that the region’s inhabitants dwell. For the most part, the coating of snow over the ice prevents any light from penetrating into the caves, though one notable exception is the Brightspire. This massive crystalline obelisk extends upwards all the way from the underlying bedrock though the ice and up high into the air. Something in its internal structure reflects and channels light, so when the upper portion of the spire is in the sunlight, its whole length shines brilliantly. Some of the largest caves have been hollowed out around the lower portions of the spire to take advantage of this effect. Lower down, we come across the Flow. A vast underground river, fed by dozens of hot springs and melts and wending its way through the bedrock, it is the Flow that provides the vast majority of the liquid water for the Caves. The third major feature of interest in the region is not part of the Caves, but lies on the surface. It is the Frozen Peaks, an extension of the Vale mountains that stretches along the northern edge of Region 97, and which serves as the primary home and breeding grounds for the majestic ice dragons, which rule the surface and the skies just as much here as they do to the North in Promise.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The inhabitants of the Caves are Frosten Berapi, identifying themselves as the Miskaton. The Miskaton predominantly live on a mix of algae and lichens. Meat is a great delicacy, as it can only be obtained by hunting on the surface, and the surface is the domain of the ice dragons. These creatures have keen sight, and they seem to regard Frosten Berapi as a great delicacy, for reasons which are unclear. The rulers of the caves, the Aryion cultists, derive their power from the Worms. These Formor-craft parasites burrow into their host’s brains, and thanks to them, the Aryion initiates can communicate with and control other Formor abominations that lurk within the lowest caves, the ones that sink into the bedrock. The Aryion rule the caves with a slimy fist, taking the best of everything and demanding that their subjects bring them meat for their twisted minions, or be the meat themselves.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    In addition to the obvious goal of destroying the Aryion and their abominable servants, the Caves contain two resources that might be of value to the discerning conqueror. Firstly, the bedrock under the caves contains huge deposits of Cyanastone. This soft, richly blue stone polishes to a high gloss, and many of the Miskaton, especially the Aryion cultists, wear jewelry made from the stone. In addition to that, the hot springs that feed the Flow have left massive deposits of Niter. As mentioned above, the Miskaton suffer from a perpetual shortage of Meat, and one may eagerly win their support by providing it.
    Last edited by ReaderAt2046; 2015-01-31 at 05:46 PM.

Lego Ergo Sum