New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt2

Its a long day tracking through the swamp. Nine long hours of mud, filth, flies and scrublands as you follow the tracks of the lizards. The tracks suggesting that you are falling behind every hour that you trek, the lizards faster through their home territory.

Eventually as night falls you can make out in the dull light of the green moon and the red moon the a massed pile of roots and branches and mangroves grown together into a huge mass of vegetation some 200 hundred feet across. The swamp grove grown over the tribes lair. At one point you can make out a thin hole in the tangled branches, the level hallway faintly visible flat and level and sloping downwards in the green tinged light.

the thin path is on the top right hand side
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Good work Lan!" I congratulate our tracker."I think it's my turn to take point. I'll go first."

I lead the way into the lizard's lair, picking a direction at random when the path splits.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Halsaephus

Hal searches about to see if any sentries or rearguard are about. He keeps his bow nocked and ready to shoot.

Spoiler: Looky loo
    Show
    Search (1d20+2)[21] or is it Spot? (1d20)[4]
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Goattracker

The Goliath takes up the rear and confidently strides into the belly of the beast.

Spoiler
    Show

I kind of imagine Goat doing this...

DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana heads into the lair, the mud wet underfoot and the air dank and heavy with mould, moisture and the smell of lizard glands and swamp. The short entrance tunnel slopoes down and is dark by the bottom, sunrods and torches being lit in the gloom. With the thick leafy canopy, the dripping and the pervasive buzz and click of insects there is almost no sound, your footfalls muffled by the thick moss and mud floor.

Spoiler: lightsource
    Show

Please say someone has a light source

At the base of the tunnel an alcove has been formed by the roots. A few javelins and shell covered clubs lean on the wall surrounding a clay jug with crude paintings of what appears to be eggs drawn on the side filled with water and small shiny pebbles and bits of painted stone. Two paths go left and right whilst a thinner path slopes down into the heart of the nest.

Mirriana points to the right with her sword leading the party. As you creep the stench grows stronger and stronger, the oath curves around before a firm snakes off to the left and the way ahead opens up into a wide open chamber. Surrounded by roots the room stinks like a garbage tip built upon a cesspit. Soiled water pools every where amidst the massed piles of filth and animal and vegetable matter. Amongst it all hand sized beetles roll the filth into balls and push them aimlessly in the rank chamber. As the light flickers on the wall it catches on the glimmer of silver. Hal's sharp elven eyes picking out what looks like a delicate female hand protruding from a pile if filth, the rest if the body buried, the light catching on a silver ring on one of the fingers...

6. - Top - End - #126

Halsaephus

"Can any of the rest of you see in low-light?" Hal says before entering.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

The Goliath strikes a torch and hands it to Claire, "Frind Claire, Palefist requires both of my hands. Your magic really only needs 1. Fling the torch into the center of the battlefield if you require both hands for combat."
    DMing:

8. - Top - End - #128

Halsaephus

"Something... here. It may be one our their erstwhile captives..."

Hal once barged into an unknown stronghold and the magical trap nearly ruined him. He decides caution is a good course of action and gestures to Lan.

"It would be no shock to find them trapping corpses. The frost giants of my realm would do such things. Can you see anything... untowards?"

To aide the halfling, Hal incants and four reddish wisps float near the hand.

Spoiler: Arcane Attunement 5/day
    Show
    Casts dancing lights
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-02-12 at 12:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn back on all fours again (though long since shrunk back to medium size) nods at Hal's question. Can't everyone? he wonders.

The stench of this area is an assault upon his senses. This is the sort of place where the worst of vermin make their home among the offal, he thinks. He looks to the others, wondering if they will choose to dig through the offal, when the prisoners they have come to rescue are obviously elsewhere.

If friend Hal must give his distant kin decent burial, let us do that after we have rescued those we hope are still living.
    Spoiler
    Show
    At sixth level, I can get Open Least Chakra (Crown) and bind Shedu Crown. Then everyone will actually be able to hear my thoughts!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl

Having found the beginning of the camp, Mirriana suddenly stepped forward, ready to take the lead. Raising an eyebrow, he shook his head in mild amusement. Just when they seemed intent on letting him do his job at scouting, they suddenly decided they needed to rush forward once again. While stopping the beasts before they hurt anyone was important, the plain truth was that the prisoners were most likely dead already. Of course, given the folks in this group, that meant the mission would turn swiftly from 'rescue' to 'vengeance.'

As they reached the offal pit, Lan slipped forward, shoving a couple of loose pieces of cloth in his nose to mitigate the odor. At Hal's request, he looked near the body, but truth be told, he wasn't sure this was the same situation as frost giants leaving their foes dead as traps - glancing up, this seemed more like the communal chamber pot.

Once he looked, he turned back to the others. "Do you want me to scout ahead, or are we going in fast and loud?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Search - (1d20+10)[19]; Spot - (1d20+8)[28]/Listen - (1d20+8)[12]. Here's a Disable device - (1d20+12)[26], if necessary. And finally, Hide - (1d20+16)[21] and Move silently - (1d20+12)[24]just in case we need to move quietly.

Status
    HPs: 34/34; AC: 20
    F +7, R +11, W +4
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

In the torch light Claire hangs back quietly watching the others. Hal and Talsien stride in confidently as Lan ghosts by the wall hiding amongst the roots. Then the attack happens! The filth moving as a massive round shape creature of scales, eye stalks, tentacles and a massive mouth bursts forth on its tiny legs. An otyugh, literally a **** monster in the ancient Flanaes tongue! Tentacles laced with disease lash at the heroes!

Spoiler: Dung monster attacks
    Show

Talsien vs Tentacle (1d20+10)[25] dam (1d8+4)[6] + DC 14 fort vs poo
    Hal vs Tentacle (1d20+10)[30] dam (1d8+4)[7] + DC 14 fort vs poo

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Yep, as expected, Taliesn thinks as he feels the thing's lash. He returns the attack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bite: (1d20+6)[16] damage (1d6+3)[4]

Fort save vs. filth fever: (1d20+6)[20] I made a save!

As his jaws slide off the tough, sh*tty hide, he thinks, I am never going to get this taste out of my mouth.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-02-12 at 02:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Halsaephus

"If I die at the hands of sentient excrement, by the Gods LIE on my gravemarker!"

Revulsion and combat training war in Hal's mind as he brings forth his blade to strike.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    [roll]1d20+7[roll]/(1d20+7)[13] 25 for crit
    Damage (1d8+2)[10]/(1d6+1)[2]
    [roll]1d20+7[roll]/(1d20+7)[24] crit confirm (if an otyug has an anatomy that allows critical hits...
    Damage (1d8+2)[9]/(1d6+1)[5] crit needed or wanted

Fort (1d20+1)[21] And now we see what that flaw will cost me...

Rolls to be continued in OOC Part 3 - The search for a Natural 20.

Status
    HP: 21/32; AC: 27
    F +1, R +3, W +3
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-02-12 at 09:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl

As the fecal beast rises, Lan slipped away from the group, launching an arrow as he moved swiftly. Best to kill this thing quickly, because others would eventually come to investigate.

Show
    Move 5 feet (to keep the heroes between Lan and the Poo Monster, but stay w/in PBS).
    Attack 1 - (1d20+9)[11], Damage - (1d6+2)[6]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+9)[28], Damage - (1d6+2)[8]
    Status
    F +7, R +11, W +4
    Last edited by Starbin; 2015-02-12 at 02:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

"Hah! Haha. Hah. No. No. Why. That's just... no. I hate aberrations. But this? You people take me to the worst places." Claire says, pulling out the right wand. "Next time, I choose where we go. And Hal, if you die to this thing, I'm telling everyone how you died. I will pay a bard to sing about this death. I ublížit s kouzelnou raketu."

Spoiler
    Show

Magic Missle: (2d4+2)[6]
    Just finding my roots again.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Goattracker

"Plainsfolk disgust me." With a look of disquieted horror Goat walks up to the poop monster and attacks... With Palefist... Praying to Kavaki that the poop won't splatter on his person...

Spoiler
    Show

a (1d20+10)[21]
    d (2d8+7)[14]

DMing:

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: threat on Hal
    Show

Forgot to check the threat. (1d20+10)[22] total dam if confirms (1d8+11)[19]

The massive filth monster is brutally assailed by everyone. Magical missiles pounding the creature as Claire levels the wand and fires. A pair of arrows from Lan at near point blank range enrage it, one merely bursting a vile looking pustule on its sturface, the other sinking deep into its rubbery flesh.

Mirriana, Talsien, Goat and Hal all surge forward to attack it with blade, tooth and club. Talsien pounces upon it his face burying itself in the thick layer of mucous and slime but failing to penetrate the rubbery skin beneath. Hal likewise is unable to penetrate the heavy blubber, his blades merely slicing through filth not flesh. Goat runs forward, a tentacle lashing at him as he runs in before he brings the massive palefist down upon it with an almighty thudding sound as it roars a deep wet throaty growl of pain!

rearing up it vomits forth a great cone of stomach acids and bile over the party, coating Hal, Goat and Talsien and reaching as far as even the patient Clarie!
    Spoiler: vomit
    Show

AoO on Goat (1d20+10)[30] dam (1d8+4)[12]

Acid vomit (4d6)[16] acid Ref DC 17 for half and Fort DC 17 or diseased

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I re-position myself slightly and stab again at the creature's belly!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn
    Spoiler: Taliesn's Thoughts . . . and saves . . . and eewww, yuck! I have to bite it again??
    Show

Oh, my -- @#$@!^%^

No! No, this cannot possibly get any worse!

Reflex: (1d20+4)[13]
    Fort: (1d20+6)[17]

Bite: (1d20+6)[15] and damage (1d6+3)[4]

Oh, great! Now I'm covered in sick, and crap, and -- even some of that got in my mouth!
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-02-13 at 02:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Halsaephus

As the acidic bile washes over him, Hal rolls his eyes at the whole ridiculousness of it all.

Spoiler: Save or DIE~!!
    Show
    (1d20+3)[20] Reflex
    (1d20+1)[13] Sick, but alive. I'll take that.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-02-13 at 02:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Halsaephus

With his last gasp, Hal wills his enchanted belt to restore some vigor into his ravaged frame.

Even as his wounds knit, the seeping filth infects his wounds.

Spoiler: Best 750 I even spent
    Show
    (3d8)[10] Both charges remaining. Is it so hard to make a 24? The numbers are right there.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-02-13 at 03:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl

The beast was hurt, but still fighting. In it's throes, it spewed forth a vile, burning stream that ate at his companions. Growling deep in his throat, he took another two shots, hoping to help from here, but unwilling to get within reach of the beast, and quite certain that being closer wouldn't do anyone any good.

Show
    Rapid shot again w/in PBS
    Shot 1 - (1d20+9)[19], Damage - (1d6+2)[5]
    Shot 2 - (1d20+9)[16], Damage - (1d6+2)[3]
    Status
    F +7, R +11, W +4

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

The colossal feacal monster lashed Goat brutally leaving the big Goliath close yp the death, taking under breath Claire drew out her enfeeblement wand and gestured. A ray of blackness leaping at the beast... And sadly missing.
    Spoiler: ray enfeeble
    Show

Ranged touch (1d20+4)[6]
    Str damage (1d6+1)[6]

Last edited by DrK; 2015-02-15 at 02:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Hal heals himself as Mrrana stabbed the monster and Lan drove another arrow deep into its blubbery body. Talsien continued to maul and tear at the creature but aside from eating the filth off its surface he cannot penetrate the blubber. With Goat disengaging due to the horrific wounds the creature turns its attention to Mirriana and Talsien, its beady eyes glancing at Lan viewing its next victim...

Spoiler: go go dung monster
    Show

Vs Mirriana (1d20+10)[15] dam (1d8+4)[10]
    Vs Talsien (1d20+10)[13] dam (1d8+4)[5]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

The Goliath scurries back ward, practically keeling over from the grievous wounds, "Kavaki has punished me for my arrogance." Looking up to the sky, Goattracker prays, "I understand your lesson, oh mighty Ram-Lord! Now gift me the power to heal my wounds and lend me the strength to fight this monstrosity!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Moderate Wounds: (2d8+4)[12]
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2015-02-15 at 04:00 AM.
    DMing:

26. - Top - End - #146

Halsaephus

Channeling arcane power through his blade, Hal stabs again at the otyugh.

Spoiler: Arcane Channel Shocking Grasp
    Show
    (1d20+9)[16]
    (1d8+2)[9] damage
    (3d6)[6]
    (1d20+9)[24] crit if needed
    (1d8+2)[6] x2 crit
    Sigh. I don't a retroactive bless could happen?
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-02-15 at 06:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

For once, the abberation misses him, but Taliesn knows his luck won't last for long. His reflexes are still benumbed from those urchin spines earlier in the day. Although he feels he has been utterly ineffective so far, he can think of nothing more to do but try to bit off another mouthful of filth. Sometimes, I really hate my job.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bite! (1d20+6)[8] Damage! (1d6+3)[6]

*Sigh* Some days, it seems the best one can hope for is to serve as a distraction while the more effective party members destroy the threat.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-02-15 at 06:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl

With Goat backing away, Lan knew they were seriously close to disaster. But with the majority of the group still active, he figured they could still win - but he didn't like the glare that beastie was making at him. He decided to move, just to keep it guessing, giving up volume of fire for a little more accuracy.

Show
    Move action to slip 15 feet around the battlefield
    Attack - (1d20+11)[27], Damage - (2d6+2)[10]

Status
    HPs: 34/34; AC: 21
    F +7, R +11, W +4

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I continue to press an attack on the beast, deflecting its tentacle with my shield!

Spoiler
    Show

Hit, hit, hit the otyugh with a sword!

Attack: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[3]
    Total: 7 (see OOC)
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2015-02-16 at 04:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

The monster lashes and hacks at the party, Tal, Hal and Goat distracting it before Lan sent an arrow plunging into its eyestalk. Even as it reared up in pain Mirriana ran forward driving her blade into the primitive nerve cluster underneath the creatures primary anus. The creature let loose one last wheezing roar before deflating rapidly. Pus and other foul fluids draining onto the floor. The creature slowly twitches before finally stopping. The slow drip of viscera, the creak of the tightly wound trees and the hiss and click of the shiny dung beetles is all that you hear. The deadening effects of the marshy walls keeping things blessedly quiet...

Spoiler: You win!
    Show

Who was diseased?