New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Illiteracy (3.5 only)

I feel like I've probably asked something very much like this before, but the answers are lost to my memory and the mists of the back pages of GitP:

I know that the Barbarian, the Totemist, and the Savage Bard variant have Illiteracy as a Class feature; what other Classes, if any, are automatically illiterate?

Assuming one uses the Alternate Spellbook rules found on pages 186-7 of Complete Arcane, how much of a difference will it make if every Character in the campaign is presumed to have the Illiterate Class feature? Would any other compensation or adjustments be necessary, in your opinion?

(The above presumes that Illumians or other 'always literate' Races aren't a thing, and that any Class/Prestige Class centered around the written word is disallowed or refluffed considerably).
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Illiteracy (3.5 only)

I think there's a primitive Wizard type base class in the form of Angakoks from Dragon 344(?) and Dragonlance. IIRC, one of those versions is illiterate as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Amphetryon
    ...how much of a difference will it make if every Character in the campaign is presumed to have the Illiterate Class feature?
    Obviously Scribe Scroll would be right out, as well as Tattoo Magic, since that requires ranks in Calligraphy. Knowledge Devotion might or might not be crimped, depending what else you usually mix it with. (For instance, the Education feat doesn't seem feasible here.)

Is the entire setting completely devoid of writing, or is it restricted to certain social classes?

Originally Posted by Amphetryon
    Would any other compensation or adjustments be necessary, in your opinion?
    Would characters have the option to spend two skill points to overcome their illiteracy? If not--if they're permanently illiterate--then clearly skills like Forgery and Decipher Script wouldn't apply.

It would also depend whether the illiteracy was enforced by the ruling authority, or simply absent from the setting altogether. Not sure what exactly you had in mind here.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    (For instance, the Education feat doesn't seem feasible here.)
    Because nobody ever taught anyone else without writing? Oral tradition, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Depends heavily on setting details, which we don't have yet.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Obviously Scribe Scroll would be right out, as well as Tattoo Magic, since that requires ranks in Calligraphy. Knowledge Devotion might or might not be crimped, depending what else you usually mix it with. (For instance, the Education feat doesn't seem feasible here.)

Is the entire setting completely devoid of writing, or is it restricted to certain social classes?

Would characters have the option to spend two skill points to overcome their illiteracy? If not--if they're permanently illiterate--then clearly skills like Forgery and Decipher Script wouldn't apply.

It would also depend whether the illiteracy was enforced by the ruling authority, or simply absent from the setting altogether. Not sure what exactly you had in mind here.
    Scribe Scroll would be replaced with the 'tokens' option in the section of Complete Arcane indicated in the 1st post, adapted to translate this system for single-use items.

Education would - as Flickerdart indicated - represent oral traditions and experiential learning, rather than classroom learning.

Tattoo Magic wouldn't necessarily be 'right out,' depending on how the tattoos are conceived. If they're entirely pictorial, for example, they arguably serve a different function than literacy-level writing.

In theory, this is a world regressed entirely to illiteracy, where the written word is the stuff of legend.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Double-checking Tattoo Magic, I'd forgotten it requires calligraphy or painting, so that would work fine after all.

Sounds like you have all your bases covered already.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Bit of a rules loophole, but illiterate wizards are still able to use standard spellbooks, as Read Magic explicitly allows them to understand magical inscriptions.

Of course from the sound of it any such books are gonna be hyperrare.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Bit of a rules loophole, but illiterate wizards are still able to use standard spellbooks, as Read Magic explicitly allows them to understand magical inscriptions.

Hey, a setting where literacy actually is magic sounds kinda cool. Not the kind of setting I normally go for, but still cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post

Any such books would be quest-worthy, I'd think.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Assuming one uses the Alternate Spellbook rules found on pages 186-7 of Complete Arcane, how much of a difference will it make if every Character in the campaign is presumed to have the Illiterate Class feature? Would any other compensation or adjustments be necessary, in your opinion?
    Not too long ago I DM'd a 'barbaric' campaign, where all characters started out as illiterate, being from a race that did not have a writing tradition - although the occasional magic rune was known. No compensation seemed necessary, and it worked out fine.

I sparingly used something akin to the Frostburn skull talismans instead of scrolls, and wizard was discouraged as player class. (Although, if any of the players would have really wanted to play one, I guess I would have been able to make it work.)

Part of the fun was that any clues or messages left on stones or otherwise were pictorial - leaving the players puzzling over the exact meaning of such clues (which I did reproduce for them).

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ogh_the_Second View Post
    I sparingly used something akin to the Frostburn skull talismans instead of scrolls, and wizard was discouraged as player class. (Although, if any of the players would have really wanted to play one, I guess I would have been able to make it work.)
    Eidetic Spellcaster (AKA stoner wizard) is the go-to ACF for this. Complete Arcane also introduces alternate spellbooks that can work - tattoos (which can be pictorial), bones inscribed with runes (very flavorful for ye olde soothsayer, who has a ton of trinkets in their hut), and my favourite of all - architectural spellbooks. That's right, you can build a castle that's actually a spellbook due to the way the rooms are laid out, and memorize spells out of it.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Eidetic Spellcaster (AKA stoner wizard) is the go-to ACF for this. Complete Arcane also introduces alternate spellbooks that can work - tattoos (which can be pictorial), bones inscribed with runes (very flavorful for ye olde soothsayer, who has a ton of trinkets in their hut), and my favourite of all - architectural spellbooks. That's right, you can build a castle that's actually a spellbook due to the way the rooms are laid out, and memorize spells out of it.
    Wow, thats straight out of the Sword of Truth Series, and i seriously want to use that now. Where is that from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Wow, thats straight out of the Sword of Truth Series, and i seriously want to use that now. Where is that from?
    Complete Arcane, like I said. I don't remember the page number but the section is called something like Alternate Spellbooks.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Complete Arcane, like I said. I don't remember the page number but the section is called something like Alternate Spellbooks.
    Guess im gonna go poke around in Complete Arcane now, and then make a Wizard Boss whose dungeon is his spell book
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Guess im gonna go poke around in Complete Arcane now, and then make a Wizard Boss whose dungeon is his spell book
    Try pages 186-7, as mentioned in the first post.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I REALLY need to pay more attention
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Who needs reading when other people can just read stuff for you and then tell you what the stuff said?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I heard of someone who's spellbook was their wide-brimmed hat woven from reeds. The weaving was patterned in a code so the wizard could "read" it.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.