New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 52 - Nine Years of Foxes

[Children!]

"Oh, umm... the super X-5 is a flying weapons platform for fighting bad kaiju," Haruo explains. "Which... I guess is most of them... Mothra and King Ceasar are nice, but all the other ones are bad."

Those bad, city smashing kaiju.

"What kinds of things do you play outside? Should we go do something?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Temple - Library]

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    "I think you might be getting a bit too into this, Frederick." teases Steven calmly.
    The dog's head alters as a blade extends from the side, as if carrying a sword in its mouth. It spins about, with Steven hoping that it's possible to slash at goo.
    The goo is sliced! And unfortunately for Frederick, his shadow-goo does not have the slashing immunity that real goo does: the tiny fragments of shadow that are left rapidly evaporate despite his attempts to hold them together.

Dangit, Uncle Stephen!

Er... being engaged to his aunt would do that, wouldn't it?

[Children!]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    "Oh, umm... the super X-5 is a flying weapons platform for fighting bad kaiju," Haruo explains. "Which... I guess is most of them... Mothra and King Ceasar are nice, but all the other ones are bad."

Those bad, city smashing kaiju.

"What kinds of things do you play outside? Should we go do something?"
    The children look at each other in mumbly semi-silence until someone yells "TAG!" and slaps one of her classmates before running as fast as she can. This results in general mayhem in no time flat...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Shadow Temple - Garden]

Izumi smiles and shakes her head

Out, not in: Observe.

And she sends a similar request to Helen, which if accepted will result in Helen feeling rather like she just cast the Create Darkness mystery herself, even though she didn't actually do anything.
    Helen nods, and accepts. She then takes a deep breath and says, "I think I'm running out of energy for today...I'll give it one last shot and then I think I'll call it a day for now." She then focuses one more time, sending a request to Izumi, which, should she accept, will take the energy of the Create Darkness that Helen just let Izumi use.

Temple of Inari-Night at the Priest Quarters

A dark shadow stalks the halls of the priest's quarters, looking for prey.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven lets out a breath, rubbing a hand over one of his ears in embarrassment.
    "Sorry, I just thought of easy maneuvers quickly. And I don't think I'm actually your uncle until the marriage, but er..." he says, as the shadow pup re-absorbs the blade, slowly gaining detail as his image solidifies.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Temple - Garden]

Frederick snorts as his construct disappears into vapours

Yeah, yeah: you're either my uncle, or you're taking on Myobi, Myobu, AND all of Orochi's demons.

Frederick conjures a new sphere of shadow-stuff

Noble marriages start at "yes", not "I do". It's why I avoid my more distant relations.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven smiles. "Well, I'm certainly not doing the latter, so I guess it's the former.
    What, are you afraid they won't take a liking to you?"
    he says, his voice making it clear he's probably well aware of who's on Helen's "side" of the family.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Helen nods, and accepts. She then takes a deep breath and says, "I think I'm running out of energy for today...I'll give it one last shot and then I think I'll call it a day for now." She then focuses one more time, sending a request to Izumi, which, should she accept, will take the energy of the Create Darkness that Helen just let Izumi use.
    Izumi nods

It is good, Helen: the first start into a world that you are not familiar with. Your own "Elteron" NorZilliar will never be able to use his own energy in a day, no matter how he tries. It is a valuable skill for you to learn: Helen.

Temple of Inari-Night at the Priest Quarters

A dark shadow stalks the halls of the priest's quarters, looking for prey.
    The priest's quarters are dry hunting, so far: no so many people are moving around.

Frederick winces

Maybe I'm afraid they will like me. We got this ability because of a lich who forced it on us... we were...

he sighs frustratedly

Yeah: my great-great-grandfather married a human. They met at school, before the civil war.. before the Cataclysm and a biomancer chose them as the subjects of his expirements. My great-grandfather was their oldest son, and HE was caught up by the same guy, now a Lich, who made a formula to give abilities to someone that they weren't born with... my grandfather is Fenric: who FOUNDED this temple. My father is Exachix Prolari...

He sinks to his knees

And I'm... I'm...

nobody
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-02-01 at 07:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven steps forward and puts an arm around Frederick's shoulder.
    "You're a fine young man and the best mage I've seen. You can teleport people hundreds of miles away or into different planes. You're the young fox a princess chose, even if she didn't have that title at that time.
    I'm marrying the high priestess of the temple, so my family now includes one of the most high-ranking members in any of Inari's worlds, Myobi, Myobu, their mother...
    Frederick, I am a corn farmer with one college degree. Do you really think that anyone in this family is the kind to care about that sort of thing?"

he says gently.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick sighs, but his ears perk back up to normal.

Yeah, you're right... thanks, Steven.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven smiles and moves to help the young fox off of his knees and properly standing.
    "Well, yeah. Any other ideas? Kazuki seems to have expected us to eat up some time." he says, looking around.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Zefir
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post

"No." Fade just says. "If an explosion happens the whole base will be under alarm. Thart likly cause everyone there to wake up and get to their positions."

Fade will try to see if any of the skywindows is open, even a little would serve him. Independent of the result he speaks to Marcus.

"We should find a spot for you to teleport or maybe we try another building."

Spoiler: Fenric
    Show
    Meanwhile, the relief soldier has entered the turret. Someone paying attention might notice that several of the cameras that had been motionless now begin to move around - but that is the only immediate result.

The windows are sealed: not designed to open at all.

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Think. Think....

There ought to be some way the two of them could infiltrate this hangar, he knew. The young wizard combed his mind for something—anything—that could get them inside unnoticed. Marcus hops up closer to the skylight, doing his best to do so unseen, and scours the area inside for somewhere he could possible teleport Fade and himself without an immediate party of armed guards to greet them. Lockers, barely open closets, other full length compartments he could blink into ought to work. From there maybe Fade could even slip into shadow form to run up along the ceiling.

The Signomancer keeps a clear eye out for how many people he sees inside, and where any office might be to keep files on flight patterns, other aerial logs reports and so on.

"I think it might be worth looking here first. Most hangar bays have maps to the compound for scheduling flight patterns to patrol. If we can get something like that, we'd have a better chance of finding where they keep more important correspondence. Not to mention I bet the boss would be happy to have a map of the place." He whispers, keeping watch through the skylight.

Worst comes to worst, he thought, Fade looked capable of handling himself if anything bad happened.
    Last edited by Solidarity; 2015-02-02 at 12:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

"I'm not able to enter from here. These windows just seem to spend light at day." Fade replies out of his shadow. He didn't kept an eye on the camaeras, beeing sure non views their spot as far as he knows. Also he is in his shadow and with that point of view he isn't even able to see them.

"We should search for a ventilation shaft or a door that is barly watched. I only need a blink to pass it if there is a small gap."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Izumi nods

It is good, Helen: the first start into a world that you are not familiar with. Your own "Elteron" NorZilliar will never be able to use his own energy in a day, no matter how he tries. It is a valuable skill for you to learn: Helen.
    Helen nods, taking a deep breath and visibly drained, and says, "Yeah...I think I get how it works. I'm going to go ahead and take a nap, though...I don't want to push myself too far."

Priest Quarters

The shadow frowns and slowly stalks into an arbitrary room, still searching for prey.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2015-02-03 at 12:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick hmms.

Yeah, it did seem that way. Hey, I wonder...

He summons up another blob of the dark material

What happens if you try to shape stuff that I conjured?

[Shadow Temple - Garden]

Izumi nods

As you wish.

[Priest's Quarters]

The first room is empty.

A spare robe hanging from a hook on the wall is solid charcoal gray: Tamamo's fourth rank. This person is most likely out on duty right now.

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Inside the hangar is actually fairly well stocked with out of the way hiding places. There is a little bustle way away on the far end where the door is open and the ground crew are coming and going to service the patrol craft, but near the spying pair are four boxy transport craft that look fairly thoroughly powered down and there is no one at all: deep shadows abound and the lighting in many spots is dim at best.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven considers this. "An excellent question. Let's find out." he says, holding a hand out and attempting to shape Fred's ball into a three-dimensional star shape.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

The blob takes on the demanded shape, but it is much more effort than when Steven shaped his own blob.

Frederick, meanwhile, is pulling the most amusing faces and his ears fold down.

Oh... that feels weird! It itches and tickles and burns like mildly hot peppers.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

[Shadow Temple - Garden]

Helen nods, and with that, heads off to bed.

[Priest's Quarters]

The shadow frowns at the emptiness of the room, the robe meaning nothing to her, and moves on to the next one.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

[Priest's Quarters]

There is someone asleep in the bed in the room. A pair of plain sky-blue robes are hanging on the wall.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven drops the mystery's energy, mildly embarrassed. "Oh, well, clearly that isn't the proper means to do that, then. I suppose the shadows have some link to he who summoned them, and resist others tampering with them." he says, considering the idea.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Zefir
    Show
    [Vulpine Empire Outpost]

"I'm not able to enter from here. These windows just seem to spend light at day." Fade replies out of his shadow. He didn't kept an eye on the cameras, being sure non views their spot as far as he knows. Also he is in his shadow and with that point of view he isn't even able to see them.

"We should search for a ventilation shaft or a door that is barely watched. I only need a blink to pass it if there is a small gap."

Spoiler: Fenric
    Show
    [Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Inside the hangar is actually fairly well stocked with out of the way hiding places. There is a little bustle way away on the far end where the door is open and the ground crew are coming and going to service the patrol craft, but near the spying pair are four boxy transport craft that look fairly thoroughly powered down and there is no one at all: deep shadows abound and the lighting in many spots is dim at best.

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

The wizard shakes his head.

"No worries." he whispers. "I think I see a few places I could teleport us to where you could drop back into your shadow again."

The mage points with his middle and forefinger to the spot behind the deactivated shuttles. Doing his best to place the rune in a way to minimize the faint glow it'd give off, he'll turn to Fade and wait for him to be ready to teleport in. After, he eye's the door to the far end of the room. Chances are any important documentation aren't in the immediate vicinity, he figures. Marcus will attempt to look about the area unnoticed for any door leading possibly to an office or somewhere they'd keep important registry information.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Halfling in the Playground

A Godly Guest - Front Entrance

A lovely figure stands by the door, clad in a flowing white robe with patches of purple scales scattered about the material. S/he radiates life and divine energy, though the person's figure could not be described as very imposing. Certainly, this god/ess is tall, standing just under two meters, but slenderness and a lithe body does not make for a mighty figure.

If anything, Benevolence (or Ben) is simply happy, with purple eyes shining in the sunlight. S/he has heard many great things about this temple and couldn't resist visiting.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick nods

That was... I dunno... "painful" is really too strong a word, but certainly unpleasant. Kinda surprising... and means you really don't want to leave these things lying around. Or maybe there's something we're missing.

[Front Entrance]

There are always guards at the front entrance these days. They both bow politely, easily recognizing this visitor as more than your usual guest.

Greetings, and welcome to the Temple of Inari!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven shrugs. "You're more of the expert on magic theory than I am. Got any ideas on the links between these and us? I'm not suggesting we start trying to circumvent them, but we are here to study this sort of thing." he says calmly.

24. - Top - End - #114

Front Entrance

Ben smiles kindly, brushing some wispy blond hair off of their forehead. Such is the fate of a pixie cut. Never standing the way you want it.

Hello there! I am here to meet the famed Inari, if that is possible.
    The guards may fine that being in the presence of this god/ess lifts their spirits, giving gentle thoughts and calming internal strife.

Oh, my name is Ben. S/he adds absentmindedly.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick looks thoughtful

I bet it's the same thing that makes it change consistency and respond to shaping at all. If I sealed it off like an item being enchanted, that would probably stop it. Guess it's just as well I did pay at least a little attention to my future sister in law.

He picks up the star and turns it back into a simple box then casts a spell that is not particularly powerful, but very different from the usual sorts of magic... nothing immediately obvious happens. Frederick braces himself, then nods to Steven.

Could you try again?

[Front Entrance]

The guards blink in surprise

Pleased to meet you. Um... you'll want to come inside, I imagine... there isn't usually an avatar here, but she's come to see folks a couple of times lately.

He gestures for Ben to follow, leaving the other guard on duty at the entrance. Down the path, among the trees, past the statues, and toward the main building.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-02-03 at 04:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven nods. He thinks he understood a bit of that. Extending his hand again, he attempts to undo the change that Frederick made to the shadow.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

[Priest's Quarters]

There is someone asleep in the bed in the room. A pair of plain sky-blue robes are hanging on the wall.
    [Priest's Quarters]

The figure approaching the bed, placing one hand over the person's mouth, or wrapping it around their muzzle if they're a fox, attempting to silence them, then opens their mouth, revealing fangs, as they bite down on the sleeper's neck, if successful drinking deeply from their lifeblood.

28. - Top - End - #118

Front Entrance

Ben follows gracefully, feet hidden by the long robe s/he wears.
    Thank you most kindly. If Inari is not around, might I pay a visit to the infirmary. I hear that you are renowned for your healers.
    It's quite exciting, really.

The deity clasps their hands together, enthused.
    What is your name, might I ask?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solidarity View Post

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

The wizard shakes his head.

"No worries." he whispers. "I think I see a few places I could teleport us to where you could drop back into your shadow again."

The mage points with his middle and forefinger to the spot behind the deactivated shuttles. Doing his best to place the rune in a way to minimize the faint glow it'd give off, he'll turn to Fade and wait for him to be ready to teleport in. After, he eye's the door to the far end of the room. Chances are any important documentation aren't in the immediate vicinity, he figures. Marcus will attempt to look about the area unnoticed for any door leading possibly to an office or somewhere they'd keep important registry information.
    [Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Fade curretnly is in his shadow. he will step out so Marcus can go for the teleport, even if he doesn't really like it.

If down there he will hide in his shadow again and look out for any other cameras, can't be to savve, right?
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post

Steven nods. He thinks he understood a bit of that. Extending his hand again, he attempts to undo the change that Frederick made to the shadow.
    At first, the cube resists fiercely. After enough effort, however, it changes shape all at once. Frederick blinks

Wow... didn't feel a thing.

[Priest's Quarters]

The figure approaching the bed, placing one hand over the person's mouth, or wrapping it around their muzzle if they're a fox, attempting to silence them, then opens their mouth, revealing fangs, as they bite down on the sleeper's neck, if successful drinking deeply from their lifeblood.
    The fox wakes up when he feels the bite, and tries to struggle. The shadow successfully muffles his attempts to cry out, so it is all nearly silent so far.

[Front Entrance]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post
    Ben follows gracefully, feet hidden by the long robe s/he wears.
    Thank you most kindly. If Inari is not around, might I pay a visit to the infirmary. I hear that you are renowned for your healers.
    It's quite exciting, really.

The deity clasps their hands together, enthused.
    What is your name, might I ask?
    The guard nods.

I'm sure a visit to the hospital would be no trouble. My name's Kevin Sanders... And here we are.

As they enter the sanctuary, Caroline is there waiting.

Greetings, neighbor: the blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you today?

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Fade curretnly is in his shadow. he will step out so Marcus can go for the teleport, even if he doesn't really like it.

If down there he will hide in his shadow again and look out for any other cameras, can't be to savve, right?
    Several cameras are inside indeed watching over the quiet vehicles. A metal stairway leads up to the control center, halfway up the wall. The windows are nearly completely dark: the only light appearing to be from monitors or other indicator lights within.