New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 52 - Nine Years of Foxes

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven scratches at one of his ears, puzzled.
    "Okay, so one thing is easy for the caster but annoying to the target's summoner, and one that's hard for the caster but doesn't have any side effects. What exactly does that mean?" he asks his nephew.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

I suppose we're past the Front Door now

Hello friend, I came to meet Inari and offer my friendship, but if she is not here then I suppose I will just offer my healing.
    The god/ess seems to shine with joy, nothing being able to dampen the deity's spirit.

S/he then turns to the guard, Kevin, I thank you for your kindness, may both the blessing of your goddess and myself go with you.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Temple - Library]
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Steven scratches at one of his ears, puzzled.
    "Okay, so one thing is easy for the caster but annoying to the target's summoner, and one that's hard for the caster but doesn't have any side effects. What exactly does that mean?" he asks his nephew.
    Frederick nods

It's kinda what I thought: this stuff is like True Enchantment: you end up connected to the material while you work it, and you need to tie it off at the end. Unlike the usual process, we get to start out with an already activated and attuned block of stuff.

He looks thoughtful

I never asked what would happen if someone else messed with a "work in progress"... I have a feeling I know, now. I tied it off, and then you picked it up "wild" - it was as if you had mined the stuff the hard way. Shadow Ore is a thing, by the way - harder to work with than Darkwood, but you can make niftier stuff... or so my sister in law said.

True, we're in the

[Sanctuary]

now
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post

Hello friend, I came to meet Inari and offer my friendship, but if she is not here then I suppose I will just offer my healing.
    The god/ess seems to shine with joy, nothing being able to dampen the deity's spirit.

S/he then turns to the guard, Kevin, I thank you for your kindness, may both the blessing of your goddess and myself go with you.
    Kevin bows politely and heads out. Caroline blinks.

Well... she doesn't usually have a direct presence in this world: we priests are here to provide day to day help, and the Messengers step in when we cannot assist. But... this is a somewhat unusual situation, so if you'll wait a moment...

She bows her head in prayer

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Priest's Quarters]

The fox wakes up when he feels the bite, and tries to struggle. The shadow successfully muffles his attempts to cry out, so it is all nearly silent so far.
    [Priest's Quarters]

She shadow grins as she drinks the poor fox's blood, trying to hold her down and drain her until they're on the point of death, then bites their own wrist and attempts to drip her toxic, vampirism-inducing blood into the priest's mouth, trying to make them swallow it if she has to.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven chuckles a bit, waving his hands in a shrug.
    "Those sort of facts are a bit lost on me. I've never worked with much of anything in that way before, so I couldn't tell you the difference between Darkwood and mahogany anyway."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick laughs.

Some materials have a magical nature in their own right, and can be used to make items that are innately magical: True Enchantment.
    The vast majority of the random "magical items" lying around have just had a spell bound to them with another spell. It might be really powerful, and might be able to resist a lot, but in the end you can un-do the web of spells and render it a non-magical thing again.
    But with a truly enchanted item, the best you can do is suppress it, because the magic is part of its very being. You can't make those out of just any old thing, though.
    You've seen the Blue Ice stuff in the shop here, right? That's one of the special materials: ice that is always cold and never melts? They treat it like a novelty and honestly sell a very, very impure grade. But in its refined form it's actually fantastically dangerous: a little bit in a small, insulated room will freeze you solid over the course of a couple hours. In an industrial-grade cyro-tank, even a tiny pebble will liquefy and then freeze the air in the tank.

[Priest's Quarters]

Too weak to cry out as the burning blood enters his mouth, the priest has no choice but to swallow.

Out in the hall, there is an odd and still somewhat distant sound... almost like hooves?

Then as the blood takes effect, a bell beings to toll: This temple was founded by refugees from Ravenloft, and though the wards are old and weak, the conversion of one of the priests triggers the alarm.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven whistles.
    It took him ages to figure out how to do that like this.
    "Alright. So we have a mystery that acts like a loose spell until it's tied off in a specific way to make it more akin to a true enchantment. Is there anything special we can do with that?" he asks.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

[Priest's Quarters]

The figure blinks as she hears the bells start to ring and the hooves from down the hall, and she looks out, leaving the priest to his rest, trying to ascertain what's going on.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick nods

Oh, yeah... but we need the right sort of help. A shadow-smith. My brother, Karl, is engaged to the daughter of our city's guildmaster - we need someone like her.

Then he smirks

And I bet my future mother-in-law will know someone. And if not her, her father certainly will!

[Priest's Quarters]

Fee. Fie. Foe. Fum... I smell the blood of a...

Dark Dreams turns the corner: her coat is deep indigo and her eyes burn like small blue stars. Her horn is elegantly spiraled and blacker than the darkest night. Her mane waves without any wind these days, and wisps of gloomy darkness twine among the hairs, especially at night, and she is now nearly too big for the hallways of the priest's quarters which she patrols on tireless cloven hooves.

VAMPIRE

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

"Right. That sort of thing was what Myobu wanted me to learn about since that's the sort of thing he's never bothered to learn himself. Seems like a solid place to start." says Steven, showing that he clearly isn't tired at all from working the shadows.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

[Priest's Quarters]

The figure's red eyes widen as she curses, loudly at this point, under no misapprehension of stealth, and dives at the window in the priest's room, body transmuting into mist as she dives, and tries to flow around and through the cracks in the windows, and float away towards the sky.

12. - Top - End - #132

[Sanctuary]

Kevin bows politely and heads out. Caroline blinks.

Well... she doesn't usually have a direct presence in this world: we priests are here to provide day to day help, and the Messengers step in when we cannot assist. But... this is a somewhat unusual situation, so if you'll wait a moment...

She bows her head in prayer
    Sanctuary

Ben nods patiently. I was told as much by Kevin, but I am satisfied to wait. Take your time.
    S/he's a deity after all. It's not like Ben is gonna die of old age or something ridiculous like that.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick looks thoughtful for a moment, then prays quietly. After a bit, he looks up and shakes his head

Noriko's still on her honeymoon - looks like it's time for a road trip.

[Priest's Quarters]

The window provides little in the way of a hindrance to Robin's escape. Dark Dreams scowls and tries casting a Hold Undead, though the chances of success are really quite low.

[Sanctuary]

Caroline tilts her head in confusion and looks up

She said "thanks"?

Ben will notice a temporary physical avatar being manifested and then inhabited.

Everybody else sees Inari appear, dressed in the most fantastically elaborate multi-layered court kimono in shades of green, yellow, and white.

Oh, thank you so much for calling, Caroline! It is truly not all that common that I sincerely wish that someone would call for me directly, but now is such a time. I received an invitation to the Celestial Court for the first time in ages, because the Emperor wanted to discuss the recent developments among the Shinto pantheon.
    So not only do I have to dress like an entire fabric shop and strut around the court like a peacock and talking like... well... you, Caroline... but then the Minister of Agriculture cornered me and prattled on endlessly. And such tedious rambling... I hired Liu to handle that!

Caroline clears her throat

We have a divine guest, my Lady, and I thought it might be best if they were received by someone of their own rank.

Inari nods

Yes! Just like that!

Then she turns to Ben with a smile

My warmest greetings. Welcome to what is by far the most unusual of my temples in all of the mortal realms. To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven's ears perk a bit inquisitively.
    "Quite a string of transports we'll be making. Where to, exactly? I'm honesty not very good at all with directions." he admits.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

[Priest's Quarters]

The misty vampire shudders briefly as she fights the spell, then bursts free of it, floating off at a quite respectable speed towards the edge of the temple grounds.

16. - Top - End - #136

Sanctuary

Ben smiles warmly, glad that Inari seems to share a similar personality as themself.

Hello, fair Inari. I am Ben, a deity of healing and life, and when I heard of your temples I was most enthused. There is not enough Healing in the Realms, would you say?
    I suppose, to properly answer your question, that this is mostly a pleasure visit. Also, I wanted to see how you set up your temple. I doubt I will ever have as many followers as you, but if I need a temple, it would be handy to see how they should be laid out.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick grins

Orochi's Palace... it's quite a way from here, and we'll have to cross a stretch of the Wilds to get there. I'm tempted to go the slow way to get a look around.

[Priest's Quarters]

Dark Dreams glares at the departing mist, and the guards belatedly arrive behind her

You're too late! The vampire already got away.

Vampire! Oh, no!

The consider what to do with unfortunate priest.

[Sanctuary]

Inari smiles

There never is enough: people are a trifle fragile and accident-prone, and that is without darker misfortunes.

This temple is laid out according to a very old design, though the model that the mortal architect founded it on is actually for a different goddess.
    The layout is simple enough: a pathway from the main entrance gives time for the guest to collect their thoughts before arriving at the sanctuary. My standard tokens are prominently displayed outside so there is no doubt who is here. The sanctuary is kept simple and clear of clutter, with a concession to the Vulpans of a statue in addition to the standard mirror on the altar.
    Outside is a garden where people can walk in a calming and peaceful setting so they may focus on their meditations. There is a pond and artificial river separating the garden from the various other utility buildings beyond that so that the details of the priest's lives are not constantly on display.
    The hospital came later, since the Nexus is dangerous enough that we gradually came to be a major care facility rather than merely a place to gain a bit of quick magic. Followed on by the daycare and school as those facilities are also random and unreliable beyond our walls.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-02-08 at 05:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 52 - Nine Years of Foxes

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven looks a bit concerned.
    "Oh, okay. You know your way around though, right?"
    Wandering crazy shadow Wilds without experience sounds like a bad idea.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick bobbles his head

Well... no... not exactly. But c'mon: it's a main road! I'm not suggesting we go poking around in ancient shadowy ruins. We're not even talking some random side-street: it's the highway to a local king's castle!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven shrugs.
    "Well, fine, but I hope it doesn't end up being too long a hike. Don't want to turn up at a palace all short of breath, do we?" he asks, with some semblance of a grin.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick looks off to the side

It's about fifteen miles from the city... I assume that means the outside gates, which are a good three miles from here...

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven nods.
    "That's a few hours of walking, unless you feel confident enough to try conjuring a shadow bicycle. he says with a smile.
    But I can probably do it if you feel up to it. I'm more used to that sort of thing than you are, I think."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick smirks

Oh, you're quite wrong: the Collegium campus was pretty huge! I had fifteen minutes to get from Advanced Divination 420 to Elements of Spellworking 304, and they were a mile and a half apart.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven smiles. "Ah, but that's speed. We're talking about endurance. And I think that's more of what I've got. But come on, we better leave now if ever. Should we leave a note for Hazuki?" he says jokingly. It's not polite to leave without saying goodbye, after all.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

Frederick laughs

All right: you'e got a point. And I don't care so much about Kazuki, but I'd better make sure Helen knows where we're going!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Library

Steven nods, and turns to head out back to the Gardens to look for the ladies they left behind. Hopefully they didn't go anywhere!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Zefir
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Fade curretnly is in his shadow. he will step out so Marcus can go for the teleport, even if he doesn't really like it.

If down there he will hide in his shadow again and look out for any other cameras, can't be to savve, right?

Spoiler: Fenric
    Show
    [Vulpine Empire Outpost]
    Several cameras are inside indeed watching over the quiet vehicles. A metal stairway leads up to the control center, halfway up the wall. The windows are nearly completely dark: the only light appearing to be from monitors or other indicator lights within.

Catching sight of the control center, the Wizard's eyes light up.

"There!" he whispers. "Here, I'll make you a couple more runes to take care of anyone that's in there, but I don't think I can get inside unseen. Maybe you can glide along the ceiling and get inside?"

Taking out a bit more gravel from his pocket, he clasps them all in his two hands to create a handful of small pebbles inscribed with arcane writing.

"Toss a small bit of these at anyone in there and they'll be teleported a few miles away. It ought to take them quite a while to get back. Once you're in and it's clear I'll hop in behind you."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Temple - Garden]

Alas, Izumi and Helen are no longer here. Frederick frowns

Great... I wonder where they have gone?

A passing acolyte gives the information

Presuming you mean your fiancée and Lady Izumi: the Princess was tired from her training and went to take a nap and Lady Izumi has returned to the nursery.

Frederick frowns at the news

Maybe we should wait... Helen might like to come, too.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Temple- Gardens

"Well, you know her better than I do. We might want to wake her up in an hour or so if she isn't up by then. Can't wait too long for this if we're going to walk for three hours." he says.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solidarity View Post
    Spoiler: Fenric
    Show

Catching sight of the control center, the Wizard's eyes light up.

"There!" he whispers. "Here, I'll make you a couple more runes to take care of anyone that's in there, but I don't think I can get inside unseen. Maybe you can glide along the ceiling and get inside?"

Taking out a bit more gravel from his pocket, he clasps them all in his two hands to create a handful of small pebbles inscribed with arcane writing.

"Toss a small bit of these at anyone in there and they'll be teleported a few miles away. It ought to take them quite a while to get back. Once you're in and it's clear I'll hop in behind you."
    [Vulpine Empire Outpost - Hangar?]

"Teleported a few miles away?" Fade asks in his soundless voice. "Won't they fall down and maybe hurt themself badly ? And can't we set them on sleep again? They all might possess cummunicators to contact everyone over miles." He replies. The boss did tell them him to prevent leathal acts unless it can't be avoided.

Fade might not be the high tech guy, but he already learned to use a computer an the commincators are well known by him.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2015-02-09 at 05:20 PM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK