New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 52 - Nine Years of Foxes

[Sanctuary - Night]

Keiko grins and bounces

Yay! Thanks, cutie!

And with that she's off after BCM like a dark flash.

[Guest Quarters - Shared Room]

Septimus is disturbed from his meditations and looks up in surprise

Oh, hello... You seem more... numerous than last we met.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-02-27 at 11:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

The BCMs, try their best to stay relatively comfortable in their dogpile position. "Apologies for disturbing your meditation Septimus. I've had a rough week. I just asked Keiko no Mae, the little sister of the deity Tamamo for a favor. Soon I'll be under her mercy."

At the quip of him being more numerous than before, he replies. "There's actually a fifth me, in the hunting grounds hunting a planeswalker... How have you fared this past week?"
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus smiles

It is no matter, BCM.

then he nods

Things have gone reasonably well, no complaints. Nothing exciting for me, though, just the daily tasks.

but at last a troubled look

Keiko? I have heard less than flattering things about the youngest of that crew...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

"Everyday, a step closer to that dream of a shop huh?" sounds nice BCM thinks.

"Less flattering things?" BCMs raise their eyebrows. "Would you mind to elaborate, one of me is with her right now. We're all still mentally connected."
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus purses his lips a moment, then responds

She is impulsive, aggressive, and vastly immature. She doesn't really fully understand the difference between her new state and normal people, and so can be dangerous because she doesn't realize she's doing any harm.

Then he chuckles

And I know from personal experience that she also talks.

She talks a lot.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

"So it's a youth with godlike powers. I've gone through that phase. It usually helps to get through that phase faster when you have an elder who knows whats good for you and beats the phase out of you."
    He remarks.

"You're right, she does like to talk." He just finished hearing a tirade.

"Well a brash, impulsive, and more importantly powerful godlike being is what I need now. That planeswalker that I fought is no easy prey" He says disheartened.

"Say Septimus, How powerful is the pantheon here?" He asks then, "Oh... right... you were meditating. I can stop talking and asking if you want."
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus shakes his head

Do not worry: I am well rested.

I am going to assume by "Here" you mean this temple, as the Nexus has every god from every belief system that ever was and ever will be.

The ninetails were technically demigod status. The oldest, Tamamo, was elevated to a full goddess through a brave and pure act of self-sacrifice that saved her entire people. She was taken in by Inari as a subordinate, and is a fairly minor deity all things considered. Her five sisters became her Messengers: Noriko, the oldest, is the most powerful and the most "proper". Keiko, the youngest, is the least but in many ways the most approachable - she doesn't really understand that she isn't still a young princess of a small kingdom.

Inari is one of the more powerful beings I am aware of: billions of years old, with more worshippers than can easily be counted. Her messengers are usually white foxes but on our world where she created the Vulpans, the first two were elevated to Messenger state: Myobi and Myobu. Even though a Messenger, Myobi is more powerful than many gods and easily eclipses Tamamo herself. Myobu is much less so, being a swordsman and a smith.

And sometimes, even the god Malukhar comes here to the Nexus. He is as far beyond Inari as Inari is beyond us, and can be frightening... it is said he is the hand of the Author himself, and what he says is law.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

"Sounds like my home plane Theros. Many gods of old, and demi-gods roaming the world. Though at least from what you say, the pantheon here of the Vulpan's gods seem to be nice. Our gods were not so kind. They made mortals fight in their squabbles with each other." BCM recounts somberly.

"What about Elves Septimus? Do your kind have kind or unkind pantheons?we He asks in genuine curiousity, as well as to forget about his worldly issues. At least for the moment.
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus smiles

There are three races of elves on the world of Erda: I am a gray elf from Verdinium. We are led by the divine council: Jupiter, Juno, Apollo, Diana, Mars, Venus, Neptune, Minerva, Vulcan, Vesta, Janus, Mercury, Liber, Orcus, Pluto, and Ceres - that last being merely another name for the same goddess who owns this temple. There are formal and aloof, serious and proper. Their actions solely depend on whether the proper respect and forms have been followed.

The wood elves of southern Ka-Niel have a dizzying array of utterly unpronounceably named gods. Some are kind and nurturing, others are dark and terrible. I must admit to knowing fairly little other than that, as I am no anthropologist.

And lastly the dark elves are ruled by the seven demon lords: purely evil demigod-like beings who war endlessly with each other and everyone else.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

"Proper respect?"
    Sounds like a deity alright...

"I think someone just violated that. I think I just heard Keiko no Mae say she's going to eat someone... Aaand her fur is standing on end." BCM explains.

"Thanks for entertaining my questions Septimus. Do you have any like inquiries?"​ He asks.
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus chuckles

Let me guess: "Imma eat him"? I have never actually seen what happens after that pronouncement, though.

he shrugs

Same question, I suppose: what was your home like?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Inari smiles

Don't worry: it's no offense.

Then she nods

Yes, that is always a challenge... I do wish I had better advice to give, but things are so very different now than when I first started.

Still, you would probably do best to find at least one priest to start with. I can't imagine there being any trouble with you being your own messenger a while longer, but you're not really supposed to be directly involved with the mortals yourself, after all... and while the rules seem a great deal more lax here in the Nexus than usual, I would think that it is not a good habit to be in.

Then, the little snake-lizard creature!

Oh, how cute! Who was that?
    Sanctuary

Ben grins widely.
    Ha, that little tyke was Noon, one of my Wyrds. They fit me well, I think.
    The god/ess looks at the patches of scales on his/her robes. To any who didn't know their secret, they just looked like embroidery, or some other kind of decoration.

The Wyrds and I have grown rather fond of each other.
    I think it will be they who deal with my followers more directly, like your fox-kind.

Though I must find a priest first, it would seem...

Ben muses on that thought, considering where to look.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Inari nods

Quite fitting. I have found that the mortals tend to react with less fear to a small and endearing creature than something that resembles them And since fear is not my goal in any way, I find it preferable.

then purses her lips briefly

Recruitment in the Nexus can be challenging: so many people are at the extremes of already being dedicated to someone, or being borderline atheist - amusing as that notion is. Perhaps find a place you can help out and impress someone?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Sanctuary, Night -> Day]

The mask conveys happiness, a grin, as the Messenger departs.

It's not so much flat world atheists as it is antitheists. People who believe in the divine and want to make it stop.

Luckily this acolyte here isn't one of them.
    Currently Arlem is coming up and looking into the mirror.
    Where he sees a mirror reflecting a mirror reflecting a mirror, warping and diminishing each time.

Something to think about, that.
    Should he...really be doing this? Why is he here?

Of course the mirror has no answers. It's just a place to reflect and look for answers within yourself.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

"She said those exact words." BCM said, feeling a little cheerier.

Once asked about his home, he replies. "Theros... it isn't a nice place. It is a place of war, gods, heroes, and beasts. Wars are started in the name of the gods that the various mortals believe in. The gods never saw fit to tell their believers to stop. The gods themselves take the lives of mortals under them for granted. At any moment they could have a plan for you..." Anger started to roil in the BCMs. They actually stood up.

"Your mother may be spirited away to become a concubine of Heliod, god of the sun. Thassa, god of the sea may take your father to be turned into a merfolk to be her soldier if she sees fit to do so. Mogis, god of Slaughter and Nylea, god of the Hunt might just fight near your village and destroy it without even noticing or caring. Erebos, god of the dead could take an interest in you and decide to make you his protege." The story's examples do not seem to be random occurences that BCM took note of.

He catches himself, and belates his rising rage. "I was glad to awaken the spark within me that allowed me to planeswalk out of my home plane. Tust me, you would not like to live there." He was not fond of gods, or goddesses, but he was desperate. In his mind, he was already imagining what Keiko no Mae was concocting to be his repayent for her services.

Out of nowhere he changes the topic. "So, how goes the barrel making. Has someone eyed them yet? Or are fishes still what adornes their insides?" He says good naturedly. They also sit back down.
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus winces at the description

That sounds positively dreadful... though I believe we had a period of time like that: it's called the Dawn Wars. Malukhar put a stop to it and made it so the gods can no longer interfere directly, and even their messengers will get locked down as mortals if they overstep their bounds - so there is no more of that.

Then a change

Not yet: I need a proper shop to make anything more interesting, though I have made a potential contact with a nearby distillery. If I can get a position there, I can use their shop to make some samples: if I can pick up a contract for the things I'd like to make, then I can use that to speed up this process.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

BCM was about to reply. This unfortunately happened. The four BCM's are connected mentally to the fifth one. The trap was laid on them too, and thus sprung. The same lacerations appeared on them all. The mental and physical pain of five bodies was felt by one.

Once again, BCMs drop limp on the gound, and on the bed. De javu, except there are four more now. They aren't healed as Keiko no Mae's healing only healed the physical body of the fifth BCM with her.
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus jumps up

Jupiter preserve us!

And he runs off to find a priest or healer, returning shortly after with a green-robed human who begins to cast healing magic, spreading it evenly among the four: nowhere near as quickly or completely as Keiko managed, of course.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

This most likely means that the time between the two areas might not be parallel anymore. Eventually the BCM's physical injuries heal. The singular mind controlling them is still in a coma though. Mental healing magic from this side could awaken all the BCMs.
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Nah, it's still pretty well synch'ed - Keiko is sitting as patiently as she can manage right now, and she hasn't quite run out of patience yet.

The healer assesses that mental trauma must have accompanied whatever strange attack this was, and he applies general-purpose Psionic methods to attempt to correct such damage as he can.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

After mental healing is applied, the BCMs come to. "*inhale* Gah!"

All four lie up then convulse. "Aaaaaaahh!!!"

A scream can be heard from each of them. This was the aftershock of the spell. To him, he just woke after collapsing to agony. "*cough* *cough*"

He coughs and motions to puke. Thankfully these bodies haven't eaten anything, and their bodies are undead. They don't manage to decorate the floor with new splashes of green and brown.

After more psionic healing, he comes to.

"Blackguard! How could I have not noticed. A SPELL! Cast on me... Without me noticing! Blackguard!" They simultaneously punch the closest inanimate object near them. He is shaking in rage.
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

The healer nods and heads out again. Septimus waits patiently for his roommate to collect himself.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

They stand slowly and head to their bed. They sit woozily. "...So, De javu?"
    FACEPALM 2x COMBO!

Nexus Characters

Black Coated Man
    Orphedysseus

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

[Temple Entrance]

An Angel approaches the entryway of the Temple. She looks around, manages to contrive to sigh angrily, before walking towards the Sanctuary.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Sanctuary]

Inari nods

Quite fitting. I have found that the mortals tend to react with less fear to a small and endearing creature than something that resembles them And since fear is not my goal in any way, I find it preferable.

then purses her lips briefly

Recruitment in the Nexus can be challenging: so many people are at the extremes of already being dedicated to someone, or being borderline atheist - amusing as that notion is. Perhaps find a place you can help out and impress someone?
    Sanctuary

Ben thinks for a moment, his/her eyes looking up into the heavens for inspiration...

Maybe I could...hmmm
    If...um...

Purple eyes flash.
    I've got it! I can send Dawn to the Lots of Hope Hospital...where else to find a miracle but a hospital? And since it is not sponsored by any deities, as far as I'm aware, I would be less likely to steal followers.

Huzzah, a plan!
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

Septimus nods

Truly spoken. I do believe I handled it somewhat more gracefully than the previous time around. How are you feeling now?

[Sanctuary]

Caroline heads over to the entrance

Greetings, neighbor: the blessings of Inari be upon you...

It's Certain, Caroline. I will be happy to bless her shortly, but there will be some few things to discuss.

Caroline swallows

... and she's right over there. What can we do for you, Certain? You seem to be somewhat different from when I cured you, earlier.

Inari smiles at Ben

That sounds very promising! Please, come visit any time: I've already told my employees to watch the Nexus especially carefully, so you can feel assured that someone will get back to you right away - even if I am personally busy right that moment.

But for now, if you can please excuse me?

27. - Top - End - #207

Sanctuary

Ben nods in understanding.

I am most grateful for the time you have spared, let me not take a moment more of it.

I will pay a visit to your infirmaries, to see how they are run, with your blessing. Then it will be time to start my own quest.

How exciting. S/he will at long last be able to have the Wyrds spread her good news and healing light!
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Certain frowns and says, "Hello Caroline. I suppose an explanation is in order...I...Uh...I am not the biggest fan of the gods. I didn't tell you this when I came here the first time because I really needed you to cure me. And, long story short, I pissed off another god and she turned me into an angel. Some kind of sick joke." She then winces and grits her teeth, obviously in pain, then continues, "And...Well, to be honest, Inari does seem like the least objectionable goddess around. So yeah. I have to serve one of them so now I'm here."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Caroline looks sympathetic

I'm so sorry, Certain. I do understand that not everyone comes with a happy past. But I promise: we aren't going to judge you for that.

Inari nods to Ben

Certainly! Please, enjoy yourself.

And then, in less than the blink of an eye, she is back in her navy skirt-suit and white dress, and walks over to Certain (who is most likely taller than her, now).

Hello, Certain, and welcome to my temple. I truly do wish you could have come under happier circumstances, and I truly do wish you had mentioned your troubles last time.

30. - Top - End - #210

Infirmary

Ben finds the Infirmary, using his/her divinity to seek out the ailing.
    Once s/he arrives, Dawn extends from a sleeve in Ben's robe and observes the Foxes and their system.

They will offer healing where needed, especially if a situation is critical.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show