New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Legend of Korra, Book 5: It's canon. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    He didn't even shed the single tear. He didn't even blink or contemplate it. He just did it and moved on cause, hey, life's cheap if there even the least bit opposed to me.
    Ah, my mistake, Lieutenant shed the tear just before his glorious off screen death.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    in bed.
    There may be more than one character from putting them together this way. Whether they're non-benders or competent is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowscale View Post
    I'd like to think Hiroshi contributed to the end. What I meant is that Lieutenant actually believed fully in Amon's message and wanted to make the world better for the non-benders and make everyone have an equal playing field by getting rid of the "advantaged at birth" benders. Tough luck to him his prophet was a hypocrite who bloodbended him against a wall shed a single tear and moved on.
    We can guess that based on how heartbroken and despairing he was when Amon started going Sith Lord on people. His actual motives are a mystery. Did he have relatives who were victims of A. Firebender's murder spree? Did a bender take his job? Or was it just a matter of ideology for him, and nothing personal? Who knows.

According to the Avatar Wiki, he didn't actually die, though. Amon just knocked him unconscious. Not sure what their source on that is. Either way, though, being effortlessly curb-stomped by Amon's bloodbending is a nice metaphor for the whole season.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-02-16 at 12:25 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    There may be more than one character from putting them together this way. Whether they're non-benders or competent is another question.
    What nation is Zhu Li from? Because the only thing more terrifying than a waterbender with their intelligence would be a metalbender with their intelligence. Or maybe a firebender using lightning to power his machines.

Or what if Korra gets bumped off and they have the next avatar baby? That would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

She's Earth Kingdom Confederacy.

That said, A Grandchild who's the Next Avatar (Or if Korra lives more into Kiyoshi or Roku's age range, Great Grand Child.), would indeed be amazing.
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #275

She's Earth Kingdom Confederacy.

That said, A Grandchild who's the Next Avatar (Or if Korra lives more into Kiyoshi or Roku's age range, Great Grand Child.), would indeed be amazing.
    Would a future avatar be able to contact their past lives?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

We don't know for sure right now. We know Korra can't anymore barring either a directors cut DVD or something that gives her that power back or a comic or something, but that might be that the cycle has reset. That the next 10,000 years worth of Avatar's will be able to contact there past lives, starting with her, much the way her past lives started with Wan.

Or, it might be that that ability is lost to the avatar for all time. Will find out one of these days either in a show or a comic I'm sure.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #277

As much as I like Korra, I feel sorry for the next Avatar that needs to watch the origin of "the first Avatar in the cycle" since it means they'll have to watch all the bad parts.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

In Fairness, Korra will likely be there and a good deal older and more tempered to guide them.
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

What nation is Zhu Li from? Because the only thing more terrifying than a waterbender with their intelligence would be a metalbender with their intelligence. Or maybe a firebender using lightning to power his machines.

Or what if Korra gets bumped off and they have the next avatar baby? That would be amazing.
    I don't think we're ever told. She looks to be of Earth Kingdom descent, but she might be Fire Nation instead for all we know. Water Tribe people have a distinct appearance, and so did the Air Nomads before the genocide. But Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation people can be hard to tell apart unless they're benders.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #280

I don't think we're ever told. She looks to be of Earth Kingdom descent, but she might be Fire Nation instead for all we know. Water Tribe people have a distinct appearance, and so did the Air Nomads before the genocide. But Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation people can be hard to tell apart unless they're benders.
    They're basically the Chinese and Japanese

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is possible for Zhu Li to be from the Water Tribe. Her surname is Moon which seems more likely to be connected to the Water Tribe than the Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation.

There are also some outliers in Water Tribe appearance like Ming-Hua, Tahno and Hama.

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    As much as I like Korra, I feel sorry for the next Avatar that needs to watch the origin of "the first Avatar in the cycle" since it means they'll have to watch all the bad parts.
    I'm pretty sure they'd just get Varrick's rendition from the clip show episode.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure they'd just get Varrick's rendition from the clip show episode.
    Which will beg the question "So, if Nuk Tuk's a real person and did all that stuff, what did the avatar do?".
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #284

Which will beg the question "So, if Nuk Tuk's a real person and did all that stuff, what did the avatar do?".
    Shack up with hot babes.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #285
    Bugbear in the Playground

It just occurred to me that all future avatars now have the ability to film any messages they want to leave behind to their next incarnations, rather than forcing them to communicate spiritually. While that will always be an option, they can now actually film tutorials on avatar stuff, like how to contact past lives. Korra certainly could have benefited from some silent film Aang advice.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Zaofu is part of the EK. It doesn't get to secede and declare independence just because the ruler got assassinated. That's really it. Do you really think Suyin is waiting for the fop of a prince to come take over her de facto sovereign city? Sure, her reason for resisting unification under Kuvira is "She's a tyrant!" She can say that for anybody she doesn't like.
    "This one is illegitimate!"
    "That one is unworthy!"
    "That other one is propped up by outside interests!"
    Bottom line, her city has been de facto sovereign and she likes it that way. Uh too bad lady, Zaofu is part of the EK, always has been. I have a very dim opinion of Suyin and nothing leads me to believe this isn't her thought process.
    And Kuvira is not the legitimate ruler of the Earth Kingdom, but someone who simply declared herself the ruler of a new nation formed from its territories. She has no real claim to any of it, and it's only sheer military might that gives her the ability to even pretend otherwise.

As for UR, I've got no easy answer for that. Aang made a terrible mistake when he gave it permanent sovereignty. For the sake of short-term moral comfort, he marked the city as a emotional and political powderkeg and assured long-term strife.
    You can believe that if you wish. The point remains: the United Republic is a separate, sovereign nation from the Earth Kingdom, and has been for decades. Kuvira lacked even her flimsy justification for attacking Zaofu there.

The guy is a criminal who should have gotten the chair. I would certainly not hold it against her if she doesn't like his face, sees no need to respect him, and holds him on an extremely short leash.
    And, if you're developing military tech for the gov't, you don't get to break your contract near the end and take all the data with you. The military is not evil for court martialing you at that point.
    Murdering the guy on the spot is not a court martial. The morality of Kuvira's actions there is not dependent on who she was doing to it to.

Right... bandits in a wartorn country robbing a military train should not be executed when caught red-handed and resisting...
    Not when they've been captured alive and are no longer a threat, no.

Or do you wish to say that while you're watching that episode you immediately felt she was evil for her treatment of hardened criminals?
    Yes. That was the first strong indication of exactly how terrible she was.

Curiously how does one become a lava bender? Can most learn it like metal bending? Or would we chalk it up to the genetics of Mako and Bolin being from a mixed bending parentage?
    It's unknown exactly what causes it - the show never goes into detail, we just know that Ghazan, Bolin, and Avatar-state Korra can do it. Given Toph remarks on it being a rare talent when Bolin mentions that he has it, though, it's likely not something that most Earthbenders can just be taught. It's probably a rarer ability than metalbending, given both Suyin and Toph seem to believe that most anyone can be taught to metalbend with the right instruction.

He and Baatar Jr. are the closest thing we have to non-bending bad guys post-Book One, actually.
    Huh. You know, it never occurred to me until I read this that Baatar Jr. was a non-bender. I guess I just sort of assumed that he was an Earthbender, since he's one of Suyin's kids, and other than Opal they all seemed to be Earthbenders. But thinking about it, yeah, he never did Earthbend, did he?

Would a future avatar be able to contact their past lives?
    They'll probably be able to contact Korra and anyone who comes after her, but not Aang or those before him. The other past lives were lost, but presumably the Avatar cycle should continue as normal after Korra, that included.

In Fairness, Korra will likely be there and a good deal older and more tempered to guide them.
    Yeah, Korra's already grown and matured quite a bit by the end of the series, and with the extended lifespan of being the Avatar she's got plenty of time left to grow even more. She'll do just fine guiding future avatars.

Though speaking of that extended lifespan thing, that reminds me: does anyone else just not want to see a series jump ahead to the avatar after Korra? Like, ever? Because with how long she'll likely live and the rate at which technology is advancing in the setting, that'll likely put the world straight into the modern era, if not a futuristic one, and I feel like it'd lose quite a bit of its charm if they did that. I honestly already wish they hadn't added as much technology and modern-looking things as they did to Legend of Korra, personally. If we get any future shows, I'd rather just see more of Korra, or possibly one of the past Avatars.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2015-02-17 at 02:24 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #287

Maybe we could do one of the past avatars? Like 6 or 7 backwards from Aang.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Prequels definitely seem like the way to go in my opinion. Especially since we've seen that conflict has been going on throughout the ten thousand years of the Avatars' existence. Might be interesting if we were to see the Avatar directly following Wan, especially seeing as he died in what looked like a state of all-out war.

Other option is to do a prequel on Avatar Kyoshi, though to be fair she strikes me as the type who would have acted like Korra during her youth, which might seem a bit redundant now.

One possibility I like is a prequel with an Avatar as the villain. Say what you will about Raava and past lives trying to guide them away from a dark path, but it still seems like a distinct possibility. Avatars are not infallible, we've seen that already, and they certainly don't always see eye-to-eye with their past lives. (Aang certainly didn't on the matter of Ozhai) Raava meanwhile chooses Avatars from birth, with nothing to go on but her general spirit sense.

Seems to me that a villainous Avatar would be more misguided than anything else. Like they've seen the world in constant conflict and decided that perhaps everyone would be better off living under a single united empire ruled by the Avatar himself. Sort of like Kuvira I guess. Focus of the series could be that the Avatar may not beyond redemption, so the characters will be resisting him while still trying to figure out how to bring him to his senses.

I don't know, seems like a cool idea, especially since it does consider the whole power corrupts angle, especially for what is essentially an unchecked authority in the world.

Then again I still have a strange yearning for a Cyberpunk Shadow-run style Avatar sequel.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Huh. You know, it never occurred to me until I read this that Baatar Jr. was a non-bender. I guess I just sort of assumed that he was an Earthbender, since he's one of Suyin's kids, and other than Opal they all seemed to be Earthbenders. But thinking about it, yeah, he never did Earthbend, did he?
    He did not. When he went out to capture Bolin, Varrick and Zhu Li, he was in a mech-suit. His brief appearance in Book Three was as an inventor alongside his father - which is the only job non-benders are allowed to have in LoK.

Though speaking of that extended lifespan thing, that reminds me: does anyone else just not want to see a series jump ahead to the avatar after Korra? Like, ever? Because with how long she'll likely live and the rate at which technology is advancing in the setting, that'll likely put the world straight into the modern era, if not a futuristic one, and I feel like it'd lose quite a bit of its charm if they did that. I honestly already wish they hadn't added as much technology and modern-looking things as they did to Legend of Korra, personally. If we get any future shows, I'd rather just see more of Korra, or possibly one of the past Avatars.
    I feel the same way. I liked the 20s aesthetic of the first season, but the technology in the show has progressed way too fast since then. Which, unfortunately, doesn't bode well for sequels. I was fine with weird-looking one-person tanks on treads. Powered armour... not so much.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-02-17 at 06:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm glad LOK happened because the "more mature" animation and art style is right up my alley, but I'm also glad now the show won't ever continue. It's just not good enough a concept to keep going after what LOK has done to ATLA. Especially not sequel wise. Any further into the future and the era of magic wushia is definitely over. Ending it at LOK allows it to go with relative dignity.

Edit: I'm completely fine with AOTS Commander's LOK opinions in the pony thread because...

(1) He has strong opinions about the fictional characters, not at other posters. You need to learn the difference, and then apply that lesson to yourself.
    (2) His opinions on Amon are completely valid. Amon was not well-written, and part of that is because of the exact reasons he stated. He came to the same conclusions many of us have independently, from a different angle.
    (3) Your opinions of Amon are shallow by contrast. Many posters have tried to impart that it's not Amon's fault we have problems with the show, it's the show's fault. It's a matter of literary quality, not personal politics. But you continue to tell yourself that ppl think the story is bad because they harbor bad IRL politics or personal philosophies. I'm the easiest target because I'm not shy about expressing my opinions strongly. However you will note that I never initiate a hostile attitude on other posters; I leave that for fictional characters or writers. But I can see how it's easy to justify being an ass if you think the other person has distasteful political/social opinions.
    Last edited by MLai; 2015-02-17 at 06:35 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: I'm completely fine with AOTS Commander's LOK opinions in the pony thread because...

(1) He has strong opinions about the fictional characters, not at other posters. You need to learn the difference, and then apply that lesson to yourself.
    (2) His opinions on Amon are completely valid. Amon was not well-written, and part of that is because of the exact reasons he stated. He came to the same conclusions many of us have independently, from a different angle.
    (3) Your opinions of Amon are shallow by contrast. Many posters have tried to impart that it's not Amon's fault we have problems with the show, it's the show's fault. It's a matter of literary quality, not personal politics. But you continue to tell yourself that ppl think the story is bad because they harbor bad IRL politics or personal philosophies. I'm the easiest target because I'm not shy about expressing my opinions strongly. However you will note that I never initiate a hostile attitude on other posters; I leave that for fictional characters or writers. But I can see how it's easy to justify being an ass if you think the other person has distasteful political/social opinions.
    MLai:
    -Claims he doesn't have a strong opinion on or initiate hostile attitude on other posters.

-Accuses other posters of being shallow, petty and secretly criticizing him because of political or philosophical reasons and of being asses in the same post.

Wat.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    MLai:
    -Claims he doesn't have a strong opinion on or initiate hostile attitude on other posters.
    -Accuses other posters of being shallow, petty and secretly criticizing him because of political or philosophical reasons and of being asses in the same post.
    Emphasis on the word "initiate". I don't initiate but I do respond in kind.
    And not "secretly" criticizing. I never said secretly, because that would leave room for interpretation.
    Everything else you understood very well, GJ.

But on another note, I just had something very good happen IRL which leaves me feeling very positive. Great way to start off the Year Of The Ram. I'm practically floating. So I'm going to offer you (and/or whoever might care) something. Your option ofc.

Let me know via PM how you (anyone, open to all) think I should conduct myself in this forum, so that we would not conflict in an aggravating tone in the future even when there's a difference in opinion on whatever. You can be as forthright as you wish, but be serious I don't need joke replies with no constructive or realistic suggestions. Or you can ignore this; I don't mind continuing my present conduct either.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Only rage at characters? The man who said it was totally cool to Murder anyone the split second they aren't doing exactly what you want them to do all possible consequences be damned, up to and including your own fiance, as long as you can claim, legitimately or otherwise, to be in charge, is telling me I'M off base?! I... ... ... ... ...

You know what, no, not going there. Not gonna spend an utterly absurd amount of time diving through old Korra threads to drag up example posts of that not being the case. Not worth it.

I'm glad you had what ever positive thing you just mentioned happen, that's great.
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #294

I wish Korra had shown us Omashu or the fire nation more in depth. They seem to have been forgotten.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wish Korra had shown us Omashu or the fire nation more in depth. They seem to have been forgotten.
    Yeah the Fire Nation was kind of the big outside factor in the series. Zuko and his daughter did some stuff, but nothing really huge, and other than the little bit of fire sage island, it was kind of bare. One can only imagine how far the industrialization has come at this point.

I also would have enjoyed seeing a touch more of Omashu. It's funny how it kind of got pushed out by Ba Sing Se as the big important Earth Kingdom city, would have been nice to see it after all this time. Especially considering Ba Sing Se didn't seem all that different from when we last saw it, still the poverty and social inequality, a little more pollution and industry, heck they didn't even get rid of the Dai Li! (Honestly, Aang why on Earth didn't you disband those guys, they betrayed the entire city to the Fire Nation! They even had a sympathetic king! Why would you keep around a group who's seemingly sole purpose is to perpetuate an oppressive system in this city?)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

I feel the same way. I liked the 20s aesthetic of the first season, but the technology in the show has progressed way too fast since then. Which, unfortunately, doesn't bode well for sequels. I was fine with weird-looking one-person tanks on treads. Powered armour... not so much.
    Yeah, I think that was part of why I wound up preferring book 3 to book 4. Having a big part of the finale be about bringing down a giant mech just takes away some of the fun compared to the bending fights with the Red Lotus.

Maybe we could do one of the past avatars? Like 6 or 7 backwards from Aang.
    That'd be an option I suppose. Going that far back you get to Avatars we don't even have names for yet, predecessors of Yangchen. Though personally I think my first choice would simply be more of Korra - after how she grew in books 3 and 4 I find I really like her, and would love to see more of her, whether picking up where book 4 left off or jumping ahead to a later point in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Prequels definitely seem like the way to go in my opinion. Especially since we've seen that conflict has been going on throughout the ten thousand years of the Avatars' existence. Might be interesting if we were to see the Avatar directly following Wan, especially seeing as he died in what looked like a state of all-out war.
    I'd like that too, though that might be going too far back and getting too removed from the setting as we know it.

Other option is to do a prequel on Avatar Kyoshi, though to be fair she strikes me as the type who would have acted like Korra during her youth, which might seem a bit redundant now.
    I don't know, she seems far more disciplined that Korra to me. Maybe that's just because we only see her as an adult, but I also don't really expect Korra to end up quite like what we see of her, either.

One possibility I like is a prequel with an Avatar as the villain. Say what you will about Raava and past lives trying to guide them away from a dark path, but it still seems like a distinct possibility. Avatars are not infallible, we've seen that already, and they certainly don't always see eye-to-eye with their past lives. (Aang certainly didn't on the matter of Ozhai) Raava meanwhile chooses Avatars from birth, with nothing to go on but her general spirit sense.

Seems to me that a villainous Avatar would be more misguided than anything else. Like they've seen the world in constant conflict and decided that perhaps everyone would be better off living under a single united empire ruled by the Avatar himself. Sort of like Kuvira I guess. Focus of the series could be that the Avatar may not beyond redemption, so the characters will be resisting him while still trying to figure out how to bring him to his senses.

I don't know, seems like a cool idea, especially since it does consider the whole power corrupts angle, especially for what is essentially an unchecked authority in the world.
    It's an interesting idea, but for some reason I have my doubts that the show's creators would ever actually do something like that. I don't know that I can give a specific reason, but it just doesn't strike me as something that could actually happen.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

It is ironic, perhaps, that after the last two seasons, I'd certainly like to see more of the characters in future material - but between the weird sci-fi technology and talking Pokemon spirits, I could care less about the setting.

28. - Top - End - #298

Yeah the Fire Nation was kind of the big outside factor in the series. Zuko and his daughter did some stuff, but nothing really huge, and other than the little bit of fire sage island, it was kind of bare. One can only imagine how far the industrialization has come at this point.

I also would have enjoyed seeing a touch more of Omashu. It's funny how it kind of got pushed out by Ba Sing Se as the big important Earth Kingdom city, would have been nice to see it after all this time. Especially considering Ba Sing Se didn't seem all that different from when we last saw it, still the poverty and social inequality, a little more pollution and industry, heck they didn't even get rid of the Dai Li! (Honestly, Aang why on Earth didn't you disband those guys, they betrayed the entire city to the Fire Nation! They even had a sympathetic king! Why would you keep around a group who's seemingly sole purpose is to perpetuate an oppressive system in this city?)
    Does Omashu ever show up in Korra?

Also, on what episode do we see fire sage island? I really don't remember it.

Come to think of it, will Iroh Junior be fire lord? Since he's currently general of the united forces.

29. - Top - End - #299

As far as the villain and past lives thing goes, given that the Avatar is essentially the same person I don't see them going evil. However, we've seen that different Avatars have radically different methods of conflict resolution, so a Punisher-esque Avatar isn't exactly far-fetched.

(Honestly, Aang why on Earth didn't you disband those guys, they betrayed the entire city to the Fire Nation! They even had a sympathetic king! Why would you keep around a group who's seemingly sole purpose is to perpetuate an oppressive system in this city?)
    Because he's lousy at confrontation?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

He might have, and they might have pretended to disband and really just gone under ground ala Hydra in the Marvel Cinematic U.

Also, I think the idea of modern era/Cyber-punk Near future/Space Opera Avatar series would be awesome.
    "I Burn!"