New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mummy's Mask (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    I wouldn't mind if you actually created an NPC that Calathon has consistently used over the years, that way my character is fleshed out a little further.I would like to note that Cal would make an attempt to find a vendor that was not tied to Malakeh (or his business) in any way, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was successful..
    All right, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    I can see Calathon and Vershab living in a small apartment that might've been owned/rented by Vershab's parents previously. Or if Minnothet has a room for rent above/under the Canny Jackal, that'd be ideal as well. Otherwise, if none of the above is possible, he'll have a small flat in Asp on the top floor of the building (so that people above him don't have to smell any strange chemical odors from time to time). Just let me know what the rent would be and I'll make sure to set aside that much per month.
    Let's say Calathon and Vershab share a place on the top floor of a rental building. They are skilled, employed tradesmen, so they earn enough to pay their upkeep of 10gp/month. We won't need to track that.

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Since we're on the topic of housing, I'm not sure what we think is best for Lehasti and her parents. I would imagine that paladin training would have taken some time, so perhaps it has been a year (or more?) since her initial training, but her housing might very well have taken the form of a spare bunk at the local (small) temple of Sarenrae, while her parents would be dealing with less-than-desirable housing arrangements in town.
    Lehasti does get a bunk in the temple, that's very modest lodgings. Her upkeep is only 3gp/month and she earns that for various services to the temple. Her parents are staying at the Tooth and Hookah, a relatively more modest inn, and are busy trying to secure a loan to get started in trade again after their last venture ended in a deadly disaster caused by a sandstorm. They survived, but their cargo was a total loss.

As for Grekka, I see her as a career adventurer. Let's say her adventures with Andres were gainful, allowing her to stay at the Whistering Stone until today, while she helped here and there and was waiting for another opportunity - which presents itself with the lotttery.

2. - Top - End - #122

(1d20+8)[25] - Edit - great roll, IC post with additional information forthcoming.
    (1d20+5)[6]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-02-22 at 08:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

D'oh! Ninja'ed! D:

4. - Top - End - #124

Indeed, the rolls above were for Perception and Knowledge(Engineering). One success was enough to give you all the details you could possibly find. Good thing I rolled way better Perception than you did

You will need to first do away with the accumulated sand, which presently makes it impossible to open the doors outward. That done, you can then try the crowbar or other means to force the doors open.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Before I post, does Calathon know anything about how historically the dead were entombed usually? Was it common practice to seal tombs like that? Or make it impossible to open except from inside? And was it commonplace or at least occasionally the case where some sort of hidden mechanism could be used to open the doors?

(1d20+9)[20] Knowledge - History check

And even though he's not amazing at it, Cal wants to do a Survival check looking for recent(ish) tracks and/or determine how long ago the mortar was chipped by crowbar marks:

(1d20+6)[25] Survival check

And last, how long would it take for that much sand to accumulate in front of the door? (Cal will be trying to correlate the chips on the door with how long it takes for the amount of sand to build up - in other words, if it takes a long time, then it's a fair assessment that someone tried a long while ago to get in)

(1d20+8)[21] Knowledge - Nature check

Sorry for the barrage!

EDIT: Booyah! Thank you for the nice rolls, oh great dice gods!
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2015-02-22 at 10:48 PM.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

6. - Top - End - #126

Impressive rolling

About the tombs, the dead etc in Osirion: Calathon knows, and in fact all Osirion natives know the basics: Osirion people, especially rich and important ones, are very big on funeral rites and elaborate burial. Under the ancient Osiriani religion, the dead face a long journey to the afterlife, and for this they need supplies (food, etc) and equipment (also slaves, for really rich people); it is therefore for utilitarian as well as honorary purposes that the dead take a lot of their wordly goods to their graves.

Such customs are much less prevalent in modern times, but they're deeply ingrained in the culture. The ancient gods (those represented with animal heads) are in fact still worshipped by small groups in Osirion nowadays.

So, it is common knowledge that the tombs are designed to be sealed forever. Tomb robbers have always existed, but everything in the construction is meant to discourage them - or kill them. There's zero chance of a mechanism being built into the door to accomodate a visit.

As a rule of thumb, you can assume that anything the general public knows about ancient Egypt is broadly applicable to Osirion, and your character is familiar with it.

About the sand and the marks: The crowbar marks are rather old: Decades, maybe centuries, as the chips bear marks of erosion from the often sand-laden wind. Sand like this could accumualte overnight in a big sandstorm in the middle of the desert. Here in the city, it would take some years of the door being left alone to get sand-logged in this way.

7. - Top - End - #127

Bunch of Strength checks
    (1d20+4)[13]
    (1d20+4)[20]
    (1d20+4)[8]
    (1d20+4)[10]
    (1d20+4)[21]
    (1d20+4)[9]
    (1d20+4)[10]
    (1d20+4)[7]

Knowledge(Religion)
    (1d20+12)[17]

8. - Top - End - #128

@ CleverDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    All right, will do.
    Done - see the NPC table.

@ DarkOne: I looked at your equipment list, it seems you now have stuff adding up to Medium load. If you count the things like folding ladder, which you didn't list a weight for, you're overloaded. You'll want to revise and/or share the burden with the others.

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGuy

@ DarkOne: I looked at your equipment list, it seems you now have stuff adding up to Medium load. If you count the things like folding ladder, which you didn't list a weight for, you're overloaded. You'll want to revise and/or share the burden with the others.
    Oops. I will correct that - probably by using some of it shortly...

10. - Top - End - #130

With the folding ladder, Grekka is getting close to medium load, fyi. It doesn't much matter since she has a medium armor already.

She can climb at quarter speed with the rope, DC5 (double move for 15ft/round)

Climb (1d20+1)[7] - success
    Climb (1d20+1)[18] - success
    Climb (1d20+1)[9] - success
    Climb (1d20+1)[2] - failure by less than 5 - no move
    Climb (1d20+1)[19] - success - reached end of rope
    Climb (1d20+1)[10]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-02-24 at 01:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Before the dice start rolling for Grekka's proposed stunt, I'll wait until Lehasti decides what to do.

I also notice the team has brought some more rope... in Grekka's pack.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

... in Grekka's pack.
    Yup. Thus should have left it up top.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Who else brought rope?" asks Vershab. "Grekka used Lehasti's, did she bring some of her own too?"

Without waiting for an answer he goes to her bag and begins going through it till he finds the length of rope she brought along. "Here, untie the length here at the top and add this to it," he says to no one in particular, holding it out in front of him expectantly.
    Nope, sorry. Grekka took her bag down, and the rope in it:

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Grekka faces the arcanist with a raised eyebrow. Right... She places the folding ladder in the now overstuffed backpack, shaking her head slightly.

14. - Top - End - #134

NecromancerGuy

Corrected. Nice catch, boss!

15. - Top - End - #135

All right, I looked into the rules and it looks like, per RAW, you could do this with zero chance of failure even if the rope was a mile long. That doesn't sound right to me. I'll rule that you take a -1 cumulative penalty on the check for every two checks attempted.

Also, I got it wrong, you need to do one check per move action. At quarter speed with a base of 30, that's one check per 7.5 feet, total 7 checks to travel down the 50-ft rope.

For Calathon, that's not a problem: By taking 10, he gets a result of 11 which is always successful even after he takes a total -3 penalty. Vershab, however, will find the exertion slightly challenging... Or very challenging, if he wants to carry all his equipment. Right now he carries 67 pounds, a Heavy load for him. This means a -6 on the Climb checks. On top of that, his speed is presently 20, meaning he needs 10 checks to get all the way down.

Acrobatics check to transfer from the rope to the ladder without falling: DC12, Calathon succeeds.
    Strength check DC10 for Grekka to hold the ladder steady for Calathon: (1d20+4)[5]
    (Note that DC will become 12 for somebody over 200 pounds, such as a fully loaded Vershab, or DC14 for over 250 pounds, such as a fully loaded Lehasti).

If Grekka fails, Acrobatics (1d20+3)[22] DC15 for Calathon to avoid (1d6)[3] falling damage.
    (I can't see Calathon's Acrobatics score on his sheet? I figured +4 Dex -1 ACP)
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-02-26 at 08:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Falling damage (6d6)[21]

17. - Top - End - #137

Forgot, Str check for Grekka, DC10 (unloaded Vershab is less than 200 pounds) (1d20+4)[8]

18. - Top - End - #138

By taking 10, Lehasti succeeds at 7 climb checks, DC5 with increasing penalty (-3 on the final check).
    She's very heavy, so DC14 on Grekka's Str check (1d20+4)[24]
    If Grekka fails, Lehasti fails her Acrobatics check, and takes damage (1d6)[5]

19. - Top - End - #139

Perception (1d20+8)[11]

No time to post IC now, I'll do that tonight.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground

Am I able to tell if the trap resets automatically? Is the trigger plate still active? Or do I need a disable device check?

If so: (1d20+9)[21] versus trap DC for Disable Device
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

21. - Top - End - #141

(1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+9)[26]

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, I've noticed some discrepancies in the way we're rolling things, and I'd like to get a few of those things squared away.

1) What sorts of checks do you (DM) *not* want your players rolling? Knowledge, Perception seem to be the big ones, but just to make sure we're on the same page (and prevent "but I rolled a nat'l 20 in the IC thread!!!" complaints) I'd like a clear indicator of what we're expected to roll or not

2) I have a concern regarding the rolling of stuff like perception... you (DM) noted who has the highest in the various knowledge/perception/etc. skills, but at the same time that means that 3/4 of the players' perception skills are ignored. Is that the intent? If so, then we can plan to not spend any skill points on those skills... but that seems to be an unintended consequence, and in the meanwhile the other 3 PCs aren't getting a chance to even roll. Thoughts?
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

23. - Top - End - #143

Ok, I've noticed some discrepancies in the way we're rolling things, and I'd like to get a few of those things squared away.

1) What sorts of checks do you (DM) *not* want your players rolling? Knowledge, Perception seem to be the big ones, but just to make sure we're on the same page (and prevent "but I rolled a nat'l 20 in the IC thread!!!" complaints) I'd like a clear indicator of what we're expected to roll or not

2) I have a concern regarding the rolling of stuff like perception... you (DM) noted who has the highest in the various knowledge/perception/etc. skills, but at the same time that means that 3/4 of the players' perception skills are ignored. Is that the intent? If so, then we can plan to not spend any skill points on those skills... but that seems to be an unintended consequence, and in the meanwhile the other 3 PCs aren't getting a chance to even roll. Thoughts?
    Good question, and I'm happy to provide clarification.

1) DM rolls

First, I never said that I don't want you to roll something. What I'm doing, however, is preemptively roll for "passive" checks rather than asking you to do so. This eliminates a lot of back and forth in such situations, greatly speeding our pace, as follows:

Normal tabletop play
    DM: You enter the corridor. Please roll for traps.
    Player: I got a 22.
    DM: There's a nasty blade ready to spring from the side!
    Player: All right, I'm trying to disable it... 18.
    DM: Success! Now you can open the door safely.

Accelerated PbP play
    DM: You enter the corridor, as usual you're looking for traps. You get a 22, then you disable it with a 18. You enter the next room, etc.

Now, even as I do that, if you post a roll IC as you describe your next move, I'm going to use it, not duplicate it. Indeed, when CleverDragon rolled a 25 for Perception today, I took that result to determine the outcome. I rolled other things later, to determine what Vershab made of the tapestry, rather than asking him to roll.

2) Players who don't have the best bonuses

Well, if I rolled everybody's Perception every time the group entered a room, there would be 99% guaranteed success to notice traps. Same for Knowledge rolls. So I'm rolling only the best of everyone; or, in the case of Perception, I'm rolling for the character who's first in the marching order. There may be circumstances when rolling everybody's check is warranted - for example, if the group is ambushed, then those who succeed in Perception will not be surprised. When applicable, the team members with lower bonuses on something can use Aid Another to improve the success chances of whoever leads in a certain skill.
    So, no, the skills of those who aren't the best at somewthing aren't being ignored.

Does that work? I'm totally prepared to take your feedback and make changes if something makes you uncomfortable.

24. - Top - End - #144

NecromancerGuy

1) DM rolls
    I think that makes plenty of sense. No complaints here.

2) Players who don't have the best bonuses

Well, if I rolled everybody's Perception every time the group entered a room, there would be 99% guaranteed success to notice traps.
    I don't think the math supports this, especially with high DCs, but in spite of this I don't think it would be bad if it did happen that way. I am not saying this solely as a player, either - if all of us invest in medium-high Perception modifiers, shouldn't that matter?

That said, most of the time searching for traps won't be possible for everyone simultaneously without penalties for failures. If Cal is in front, misses the trap, and sets it off, there is no need for multiple rolls in the first place. If finding something requires being close (within 1 square) of it, then many times it will not be the entire party that can search for it with a chance of success.

What I think I am saying is that when possible and reasonable reward the players for their investments by rolling multiple rolls. When it doesn't make sense, we as players need to respect you and assume that if it isn't done you considered it and it would just be nonsense to have a roll for each of us. Does that make sense?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Echoing what Rob said, your answers to #1 make perfect sense, but in the absence of other stuff going on, it's not as though the other members of the party aren't going to be looking for traps and etc. along with the person in front/highest bonus. Also, counting characters that have penalties to their perception (like Lehasti) that can make some DCs below 20 *impossible*, it's not as simple as "more rolls = guaranteed success". Lastly... this last trap could have 100% => unconscious some of our party members, and I have a hard time thinking that that kind of potential damage is balanced against a single perception roll that can easily vary between 7 and 27 for even a solid +6 (made up to be appropriate at level 1) modifier.

Just my thoughts.

26. - Top - End - #146

I don't think the math supports this, especially with high DCs, but in spite of this I don't think it would be bad if it did happen that way. I am not saying this solely as a player, either - if all of us invest in medium-high Perception modifiers, shouldn't that matter?

That said, most of the time searching for traps won't be possible for everyone simultaneously without penalties for failures. If Cal is in front, misses the trap, and sets it off, there is no need for multiple rolls in the first place. If finding something requires being close (within 1 square) of it, then many times it will not be the entire party that can search for it with a chance of success.

What I think I am saying is that when possible and reasonable reward the players for their investments by rolling multiple rolls. When it doesn't make sense, we as players need to respect you and assume that if it isn't done you considered it and it would just be nonsense to have a roll for each of us. Does that make sense?
    Echoing what Rob said, your answers to #1 make perfect sense, but in the absence of other stuff going on, it's not as though the other members of the party aren't going to be looking for traps and etc. along with the person in front/highest bonus. Also, counting characters that have penalties to their perception (like Lehasti) that can make some DCs below 20 *impossible*, it's not as simple as "more rolls = guaranteed success". Lastly... this last trap could have 100% => unconscious some of our party members, and I have a hard time thinking that that kind of potential damage is balanced against a single perception roll that can easily vary between 7 and 27 for even a solid +6 (made up to be appropriate at level 1) modifier.

Just my thoughts.
    You're making valid points. Also, checking my numbers, it appears I was rather optimistic on the group's success chances, considering the difficulty of the involved traps.

Therefore, going forward I'll change my policy to rolling for as many characters as make sense in the circumstances. Thanks for the useful feedback!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hey, thanks for being flexible and working with our concerns. If nothing else, we can RP it as "we're all being a bit more careful after that first trap KO'd Vershab".

28. - Top - End - #148

NecromancerGuy

Recently our extended gaming group (family) has been really lucky to meet two great people - both CleverDragon and Gwynfrid have been friendly, reasonable, open to conversation and change, and on top of all that DMs!

All I can say is thank you, gentlemen, and please don't disappear suddenly like so many DMs do! We like you!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Just a side note, it's worth bearing in mind that you get penalties to perception for distance. No matter how good Vershab's eyes are, he's not going to notice from 20 feet away what Calathon will notice up close (granted, a -2 penalty isn't likely to be game-breaking, but it's just another layer of complications for you to keep track of ^_^).

Ironically, it's about the only thing in the entire game that tends to work in rogues favors.... so naturally it is ignored, basically always.

30. - Top - End - #150

Hey, thanks for being flexible and working with our concerns. If nothing else, we can RP it as "we're all being a bit more careful after that first trap KO'd Vershab".
    Anytime. Listening is part of the DM's job.

Recently our extended gaming group (family) has been really lucky to meet two great people - both CleverDragon and Gwynfrid have been friendly, reasonable, open to conversation and change, and on top of all that DMs!

All I can say is thank you, gentlemen, and please don't disappear suddenly like so many DMs do! We like you!
    That is much appreciated. And no, I have no intention to cast Vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Just a side note, it's worth bearing in mind that you get penalties to perception for distance. No matter how good Vershab's eyes are, he's not going to notice from 20 feet away what Calathon will notice up close (granted, a -2 penalty isn't likely to be game-breaking, but it's just another layer of complications for you to keep track of ^_^).

Ironically, it's about the only thing in the entire game that tends to work in rogues favors.... so naturally it is ignored, basically always.
    Good point, I'll need to remember that... +1 DC per 10ft.