New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Yeah, the issue (or sort of issue) with the Skaen temple is it's very very easy to get there way too soon IMO. I actually wandered into it before I'd even hit defiance bay in my first playthrough so my rogue mercenary who had been able to handle just about everything up to that point was totally helpless.

It seems the people left behind automatically gain enough XP to always be no more than 1 level behind the Watcher, regardless of adventures. Which kind of makes sense otherwise they'd quickly become useless. But it does make adventures more about loot, which really isn't needed much.

There isn't a direct penalty like D&D's AoOs. But, in addition to a lot of the ranged feats shut down in melee (meaning you lose your bonuses), there's one huge issue - interrupts. Many of the big ranged weapons (all firearms, arbalests, crossbows to a lesser extent) have long reload times. And if you get hit and interrupted while reloading then you need to start the whole process over again. So, it may still be worth it to just put a few basic melee weapons in everyone's off-slot and just switch quick if a shade or shadow does get close, and then switch back when the threat is gone.
    SKaen Temple's traps are the only threats, other than the boss fight, in the entire ruins. The Skaen warriors are WEAK. I blew through all of them, and I still kept getting wounded/almost killed by their very hard traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    For one reason or another, Sagani doesn't seem to do much of anything. Neither her bow nor her for do much damage. And I'm seriously considering not bringing a priest or wizard anywhere ever again. Per-rest spells are... ugh.
    Sagani is pretty good for me. She needs a better bow though, remember, you can buy one for her. . . ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    How has the level cap been for everyone here? I was kind of worried because some people claimed to hit the cap before getting to Twin Elms. Luckily that wasn't the case for me. I did every quest I could find, explored every location and hit the level cap just before the final dungeon. No idea what those previously mentioned people were doing differently, running a smaller team perhaps?
    I just finished the Animancy hearings and started Act III, and I'm already level 10 for my party.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, where the frakk is the scrivener's quarters??
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Okay, where the frakk is the scrivener's quarters??
    Right next to the library, IIRC. It should be marked on the map. The first quarter you enter.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Right next to the library, IIRC. It should be marked on the map. The first quarter you enter.
    Found it.
    It was definitely NOT marked on the map, though. I had forgotten about the door to the north in that room.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

So, is there any explanation of how aggro works in this game? In particular, I can't figure out how shades do their targeting (shades, not shadows). They'll melee, but then suddenly stop and fire an ice blast at a ranged character. They also seem to pick at random for where they summon a shadow, sometimes its right next to my fighter, sometimes it's behind the entire party. My solution at the moment is to paralyze one, confuse the other and hope I kill the paralyzed one quickly, which got me through temple of Eothas. But if that's a consistent pattern for later casters, I'm going to be sad.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Found it.
    It was definitely NOT marked on the map, though. I had forgotten about the door to the north in that room.
    A bug. In an Obsidian game?

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarthArminius View Post
    A bug. In an Obsidian game?
    I am not sure it's a bug; it is used by many users and reviewers as an example of why this game needs better mapping.

Anyway, next question: How the... do I get past the guards in the stairs? Two Champions, Two Paladins, and an archer... Definitely by far the hardest fight yet. Should I go back to town and hire a sixth companion, and will it even make a difference?

8. - Top - End - #578
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but did you try adding him to the party and then clicking the level up button?
    Can't say I did--just got back to the fortress, saw he was still level 5, and assumed that was his actual level. If the characters you don't have with you actually *do* level up then that removes a major complaint I had about the game.

It's not really about power or effectiveness. I just really don't like managing them. With encounter or point-based powers I need to decide if now is the right time to use that ability. With a per-rest power I need to decide if I'm going to need it again before I rest.
    It's usually pretty obvious when you're facing a boss fight in the game, which should be the time you choose to burn all your per-rest powers. Otherwise, only use them if the fight is going badly for you, because you'll probably lose so much health at that point that you'll end up resting after the fight anyway.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So I'm curious. There's a quest in the elf village in Act III where you're asked to either kidnap a baby and have it sacrificed, or assassinate the guy who asked you to do it. Is there a third option in this quest at all, maybe with a companion I didn't bring with me?

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, answer time.

For one reason or another, Sagani doesn't seem to do much of anything. Neither her bow nor her for do much damage. And I'm seriously considering not bringing a priest or wizard anywhere ever again. Per-rest spells are... ugh.
    Sagani is the hotness. She donates a free 7. member to your party. Give her that artifact bow, a very light armor, get the ranged talent that lets her bypass 5 DR, and go to town. She works especially well against bosses and casters, and her fox is just gravy.

Found it.
    It was marked on mine. Version stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    So, is there any explanation of how aggro works in this game? In particular, I can't figure out how shades do their targeting (shades, not shadows). They'll melee, but then suddenly stop and fire an ice blast at a ranged character. They also seem to pick at random for where they summon a shadow, sometimes its right next to my fighter, sometimes it's behind the entire party. My solution at the moment is to paralyze one, confuse the other and hope I kill the paralyzed one quickly, which got me through temple of Eothas. But if that's a consistent pattern for later casters, I'm going to be sad.
    Aggro works fine, but Shades mean business. Firing a ranged attack in melee is something you can do too, but when they do it's of course a little jarring. Not to mention you can summon stuff directly next to enemy casters as well.

Best solution? Get Brilliant Radiance for your priest. If especially frustrated, hire a level 3-4 merc priest and get a second Brilliant Radiance-ist for those areas.

Anyway, next question: How the... do I get past the guards in the stairs? Two Champions, Two Paladins, and an archer... Definitely by far the hardest fight yet. Should I go back to town and hire a sixth companion, and will it even make a difference?
    If you can't beat those, you're not ready for the final fight there. Just return and do somewhere else. Also, party size matters a lot. And I mean a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So I'm curious. There's a quest in the elf village in Act III where you're asked to either kidnap a baby and have it sacrificed, or assassinate the guy who asked you to do it. Is there a third option in this quest at all, maybe with a companion I didn't bring with me?
    I haven't seen a third option as well, and even successfully assassinating him without creating a ruckus is not a small feat as well (some high stat reqs there).

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

I've finished arc 2 and decided that Drywoodans are a bunch of triggerhappy idiots who really would've been better off conquered.

In other news, Sagani is the best thing ever. Dat infinite health tank, she doesn't even need to do anything herself (not that she doesn't). Kana is also the best thing ever since he learned to summon ogres. But the best thing ever is Grieving Mother and her constant spellcasting (her shield spell is castable right off and triples fox's shelf life). By the time fox is down, there'll be ogres. By the time ogres are down, there'll be more ogres. Eder doesn't get to tank anything except in toughest encounters.

Not using any of the classic casters because I hate spell slots. Versatility is for pansies, the answer is always a bigger stick.
    Last edited by Pronounceable; 2015-04-27 at 06:40 AM.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Sagani is the hotness. She donates a free 7. member to your party. Give her that artifact bow, a very light armor, get the ranged talent that lets her bypass 5 DR, and go to town. She works especially well against bosses and casters, and her fox is just gravy.
    Not sure which artifact bow you mean, but I'll give her that talent when I can. I do have her target casters, but it doesn't do that much.

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    Not using any of the classic casters because I hate spell slots. Versatility is for pansies, the answer is always a bigger stick.
    Preach it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure which artifact bow you mean, but I'll give her that talent when I can. I do have her target casters, but it doesn't do that much.
    It's on Endless Paths level 4, and a must get for Sagani.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I am not sure it's a bug; it is used by many users and reviewers as an example of why this game needs better mapping.

First fight the guards by the main entrance. Then lure the guards on the stairs, and possibly everyone else to the main entrance, bottle neck them where they can't reach your casters, and erase them.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    It's on Endless Paths level 4, and a must get for Sagani.
    Conveniently enough, I just entered that level. Not sure what's up with the giant pit on the second level. It seems it allows you to make a shortcut to the bottom of the dungeon, but at the risk of fatigue and injury?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Conveniently enough, I just entered that level. Not sure what's up with the giant pit on the second level. It seems it allows you to make a shortcut to the bottom of the dungeon, but at the risk of fatigue and injury?
    No. It sends you to one of The Master Below's minions. You fight it and can move on, or move on to another level around it.

17. - Top - End - #587

No. It sends you to one of The Master Below's minions. You fight it and can move on, or move on to another level around it.
    I don't think you can skip that fight without some ridiculous Stealth, the stairs to the next level are behind it.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah. Don't use the pit, unless you're already massively overlevelled--facing what you find down there with a low level party, at least one of whom is likely to be injured from the fall, doesn't end well!

19. - Top - End - #589

And the pit also dumps you at the end of the level, with a bunch of enemies between you and the stairs back up as well. I learned this to my distinct horror when I jumped down with no camping supplies left.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yeah I took the pit. (managed to get down without damage) Took one look at the level's boss, said nope and fought for my life through the rest of the level to get the heck out of dodge.

Got to say I kind of like Pallagina, she's definitely a better tank than Kana, and she does well with the party buffs to accuracy.

Do have to say that I think my main reason for sticking with Sagani is because of her banter and Itumaak. I do have the artifact bow, but since I'm playing a melee/range Cypher, I had protagonist dibs on it. Sorry Sagani.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I don't think you can skip that fight without some ridiculous Stealth, the stairs to the next level are behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Yeah I took the pit. (managed to get down without damage) Took one look at the level's boss, said nope and fought for my life through the rest of the level to get the heck out of dodge.

Got to say I kind of like Pallagina, she's definitely a better tank than Kana, and she does well with the party buffs to accuracy.

Do have to say that I think my main reason for sticking with Sagani is because of her banter and Itumaak. I do have the artifact bow, but since I'm playing a melee/range Cypher, I had protagonist dibs on it. Sorry Sagani.
    I gave Kana the Justice Sword and he's an awesome tanke with the right skill set.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I gave Kana the Justice Sword and he's an awesome tanke with the right skill set.
    Eh, I sold that. I got that acid great sword from that gentleman's club at the salty mast for Pallegina. I'm not really having many problems with money. The stronghold is a bit of a sink, but I can only buy things every few days. (Otherwise I probably would have kitted the whole place out in an in-game week.)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Eh, I sold that. I got that acid great sword from that gentleman's club at the salty mast for Pallegina. I'm not really having many problems with money. The stronghold is a bit of a sink, but I can only buy things every few days. (Otherwise I probably would have kitted the whole place out in an in-game week.)
    I've kept in the mid 20000's for copper during most of the game.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

The save editor doesn't seem to actually exist, but I used the console to shuffle two points from Intellect to raise Dexterity and Perception by one each. We'll see how it works.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

The writing doesn't really spike in quality with a couple more special options unlocked, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe. It would still be nice to get more Perception dialogue options without relying on rest bonuses. I might skim something off Strength, Constitution or Resolve to patch up Intellect, I suppose. Resolve seems to come up in dialogue a lot, but it's not worth investing in just for that.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe. It would still be nice to get more Perception dialogue options without relying on rest bonuses. I might skim something off Strength, Constitution or Resolve to patch up Intellect, I suppose. Resolve seems to come up in dialogue a lot, but it's not worth investing in just for that.
    Eh, Resolve is good for casters and tanks alike.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

It is, but my fighter isn't particularly tanky. He has enough Constitution and Resolve not to keel over, but he's more of a damage dealer.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

It is, but my fighter isn't particularly tanky. He has enough Constitution and Resolve not to keel over, but he's more of a damage dealer.
    Oh, then yeah, he's a Might-Per-Dex guy.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There's an option at the Animancy hearing that needed 16 intelligence. My wizard had 20 intelligence. It said "Requirement not met".

What's that about?