New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

So, turns out tanking with a very well protected guy, and spamming Iconic Projections on him with 2 Clerics really ease things out. Got the Raedric fight in one try on Hard, and to think I was having problems with Shades earlier...
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2015-04-02 at 11:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Eder is just so adorable I love it.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

According to the notes for the upcoming patch 1.03, ranged characters are getting a bit of a nerf--arbalest damage down, and the reload bonus from Sure-Handed Ila chant is dropped from x2 to x1.2. I have a party at the moment with two Rangers and a Chanter, so this is likely to lower my damage output quite a bit.

Patch notes here:
    https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/e...tch-notes-103/

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    He is indeed, a shame there's no romance in the game :P
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite NPC so far as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    He is indeed, a shame there's no romance in the game :P
    Indeed.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am stricken with a sudden desire to play an implement weilder with the x1.25 damage for 3 life/attack talent. What class would do that best?
    Well, it will depend on how the changes to ranged weapons and the Chanter ranged weapon buff in the upcoming patch actually play out, but unfortunately at the moment I'd recommend none. Mostly because I've found the burst damage from traditional ranged weapons (especially firearms) to be vastly superior to the lower damage but faster speed of implements. If you're set on it, though, I guess I'd go wizard, since they turn attacks from implements into small AoEs, so you'd at least get that out of it.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    But that's the problem, I don't know the naming conventions for the nations.
    Old Vaila - Vulgar Latin/Italian
    Aedyr - Anglosaxon
    Ixamitl - Nahuatl?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Evil Bard View Post
    Old Vaila - Vulgar Latin/Italian
    Aedyr - Anglosaxon
    Ixamitl - Nahuatl?
    Thanks!
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Well, it will depend on how the changes to ranged weapons and the Chanter ranged weapon buff in the upcoming patch actually play out, but unfortunately at the moment I'd recommend none. Mostly because I've found the burst damage from traditional ranged weapons (especially firearms) to be vastly superior to the lower damage but faster speed of implements. If you're set on it, though, I guess I'd go wizard, since they turn attacks from implements into small AoEs, so you'd at least get that out of it.
    their base accuracy is poor but their spells are well suited to compensate for it, especially now that eldritch aim is essentially improved (since chill fog and slicken are no longer the best uses of your lvl 1 spell casts by a huge margin) and curse of blacked sight is foe-only (20+ second -20 deflection debuff vs will at +10 accuracy is insane). i do have my doubts about using ranged weapons with poor base damage, but if anything is capable of compensating for that poor base damage, it's blast.

oh, and they have a level 3 spell that puts a implement that does AoE damage into their hand. if it hits multiple targets, each target hit triggers blast.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2015-04-03 at 11:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

SO, played around a little.

A few observations:

1. Either the game is REALLY demanding, for no reason, or my graphic card is on the fritz, because it stutters slightly. I have noticed several games being slower than they should, lately.

2. Nature Godlike... Not feeling it. Will restart with female wood elf pirate ranger girl.

3. Too many autopause functions makes the game annoying. Will disable a few.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Patch is out. In other news, working on damage and duration calculators on gdocs. Will post eventually.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #282

BlackDragon

3. Too many autopause functions makes the game annoying. Will disable a few.
    It would be nice if they had a separate autopause function for summoned creatures...as it stands, if you summon 3 human skeletons to aid in the fight and you have "autopause at 25% endurance" set, it'll pause pretty much every time someone hits one of the skellies because they get knocked to below 25% endurance.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It would be nice if they had a separate autopause function for summoned creatures...as it stands, if you summon 3 human skeletons to aid in the fight and you have "autopause at 25% endurance" set, it'll pause pretty much every time someone hits one of the skellies because they get knocked to below 25% endurance.
    What pet do you prefer for a ranger? I came to think of it because another autopause problem. The game paused immediately because the wolf had an ineffective bite.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    According to the notes for the upcoming patch 1.03, ranged characters are getting a bit of a nerf--arbalest damage down, and the reload bonus from Sure-Handed Ila chant is dropped from x2 to x1.2. I have a party at the moment with two Rangers and a Chanter, so this is likely to lower my damage output quite a bit.

Patch notes here:
    https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/e...tch-notes-103/
    "Tuned down Mind Blades"

"Arbalest damage have been lowered"

Frag dammit!

Mind you, I can't say I didn't see that coming! Considering my arbalest-armed cipher outdamaged the next highest character in the party by a factor of five times... (Last time I checked, it wa about 11k damage to 2k damage and Aloth was the first companion I picked up...)

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted...

"Modified attributes of companions and Itumaak"

Okay... Maybe good, maybe bad... One assumes towards the first, though I'd have to check before I load the patch to confirm... (I'm actually too bust playing War for the Overworld today, since it came out yesterday - typical really, you wait two years and two come along at once!) I can probably do that, since I've got the gog version, so I assume I have to manually download it. (Which in some ways is better...!)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    "Tuned down Mind Blades"

"Arbalest damage have been lowered"

Frag dammit!

Mind you, I can't say I didn't see that coming! Considering my arbalest-armed cipher outdamaged the next highest character in the party by a factor of five times... (Last time I checked, it wa about 11k damage to 2k damage and Aloth was the first companion I picked up...)

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted...

"Modified attributes of companions and Itumaak"

Okay... Maybe good, maybe bad... One assumes towards the first, though I'd have to check before I load the patch to confirm... (I'm actually too bust playing War for the Overworld today, since it came out yesterday - typical really, you wait two years and two come along at once!) I can probably do that, since I've got the gog version, so I assume I have to manually download it. (Which in some ways is better...!)
    Yeah I checked, mind blades got cut by like a third, IIRC. I forget the old values, tbh.

Also I wish the game would give firm values for what the reload and attack speeds mean. It would make it so much easier to do damage calcs. Right now it's looking like I'll have to do testing on every weapon to see how reload speed, attack speed, and animation speed change based on Dexterity and attack speed boosts. What a pain.

The other factors are easy enough to figure without much testing. It's just complicated programming. At least I'll be able to tell how the -5 accuracy for DR reduction and -5 accuracy for 1.2 damage talents work.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

i believe that "fast" attack speed is a base attack delay of .66 seconds, or 1.5 attacks per second, and "average" attack speed is a 1 second delay/1aps, not including recovery

you might find more data here
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2015-04-03 at 04:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. Just goes to show... As I've got the gog version, I've got to wait a day or few for the patch (no biggie...) but I've stalled out on War for the Overworld, which has apparently had eight patches in the last day - you can't complain they're not trying... But they aren't quite as polished as Obsidian, so everyone complaining about how buggy PoE is would do well to remember it actually isn't that bad... Mission four is fairly nastily bugged, in which you can't save or it all goes bonkers. So, I'mma leave that for a day or two.

Back to PoE, then, where I can continue to enjoy my last gasp of broken-cipher-ness.

By the by, it seems as though what tweaking they do to companion base attributes isn't going to be retroactive... (Unlike most of the bug fixes, which are). So while it might affect the ones you haven't recruited, the ones you have are not going to change. (Note: people with steam can probably confirm this better than me a the moment.)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'm going to build a Fire Godtouched Barbarian. HIT ME WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE. YOU'LL JUST TAKE FIRE DAMAGE.

Edit: Can anyone think of formatting issues with this sheet so far?
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2015-04-03 at 08:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yay! Reckless Assault bug fixed!!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think I'm going to build a Fire Godtouched Barbarian. HIT ME WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE. YOU'LL JUST TAKE FIRE DAMAGE.

Edit: Can anyone think of formatting issues with this sheet so far?
    Does the armor penalty affect just collumn G, FG, or FGH?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Does the armor penalty affect just collumn G, FG, or FGH?
    To be honest I'm not quite sure, not without doing my own testing. The thread I'm pulling numbers from says that it only applies to G.

I need to switch the order of the sheets. Sheet1 is going to be what you modify, Sheet3 is just a lookup table.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

To be honest I'm not quite sure, not without doing my own testing. The thread I'm pulling numbers from says that it only applies to G.

I need to switch the order of the sheets. Sheet1 is going to be what you modify, Sheet3 is just a lookup table.
    The spear and sword say they do 11-6 damage. Min/max mixup, or missing 10s place?

Rod, Scepter, and Wand take both hands, don't they?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    The spear and sword say they do 11-6 damage. Min/max mixup, or missing 10s place?

Rod, Scepter, and Wand take both hands, don't they?
    Missing 10s, and I'm not sure. I should have put them with two hands because they take up 2 hand slots, but I was going to check if the 2 hand perk applied to them (or, indeed, any of the ranged weapons). I'm suspicious because in shops the implements are with the one hand weapons (the shops sort weapons first by price, then by Guns/Crossbows/2 handed weapons/1 handed weapons, and then inside those categories alphabetically - with implements sorted into the one handed weapons, though this might be because of price now that I think about it). When I get around to it, I'll also be adding in interrupts and exact ranges.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2015-04-03 at 08:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

the two-handed style perk only affects 2-h melee weapons afaik

25. - Top - End - #295

BlackDragon

What pet do you prefer for a ranger? I came to think of it because another autopause problem. The game paused immediately because the wolf had an ineffective bite.
    I've been using a bear since the game started and had no complaints, but I don't have it set to autopause on an ineffective attack anyway--when I have six different characters with different skillsets and different weapons, the chances of *all* of them being ineffective is pretty much zero; if you really need to know if someone's being ineffective you'll hear them complain about it, although that does require you to remember the voices of your characters.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Party Banter

Spoiler
    Show

Eder: Sagani, does your fox bite?
    Sagani: Yes.
    Ed: Can I pet him anyway?
    Sag: It's your hand
    Ed: I am gonna pet him!

Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Party Banter

Spoiler
    Show

Eder: Sagani, does your fox bite?
    Sagani: Yes.
    Ed: Can I pet him anyway?
    Sag: It's your hand
    Ed: I am gonna pet him!

Spoiler
    Show

Eder: If I'm not supposed to pet him, why is he so fluffy?
    (probably got the exact wording wrong, but close enough)

On an unrelated note, I'm really enjoying how they handle the the dispositions. running around the first big city, and its nice having people comment on your past actions and also (presumably) having those past actions impact quests (or at least the exact text of the quest). At least for an honest, benevolent character. Anyone make it to act 2 with a different personality character who can confirm that those dispositions have an impact too?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

I guess Act Two begins when the party arrives at Defiance Bay?

The only quests I have to do that don't involve Defiance Bay are the endless paths (which I'll explore intermittently) and the slaying of Lord Raedric.

And clearing out Black Meadow, but that's more of a personal decision.

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    *looks at his barbarian Croman with a slightly guilty expression*
    Due to the save-destroying keep bug that I encountered in two different rooms of the keep in two different saves, I named one of my fighters "otherdwarf" just to get back to playing faster.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Eh, I missed Eder's existence entirely, so I had to hire a dwarf fighter to tank. I named him Shortstuff.