New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: reach weapons..

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default reach weapons..

I see that a lot of reach weapons have changed quite a bit in 3.5e change to pathfinder. What reach weapons still have adjacent thing? Like the 3.5e spiked chain.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: reach weapons..

Whip, Scorpion Whip, and Double-Chained Kama can do this off the top of my head. You can also use a non-reach weapon + Lunge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    I see that a lot of reach weapons have changed quite a bit in 3.5e change to pathfinder. What reach weapons still have adjacent thing? Like the 3.5e spiked chain.
    All of them, as long as you wear a gauntlet.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4

Armor Spikes too.

Also, if you don't mind improvised weapon penalties there is a semi-relevant FAQ.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Whip, Scorpion Whip, and Double-Chained Kama can do this off the top of my head.
    Although it's important to note that whips don't threaten, despite being able to strike anywhere within their radius.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Although it's important to note that whips don't threaten, despite being able to strike anywhere within their radius.
    True - you need Improved Whip Mastery for that. But the other two are fine.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

You can also threaten adjacent squares with natural weapons, and anybody can have a Bite attack thanks to traits. Also, if you want to take seven levels of Fighter (Dragoon) you can use any polearm with reach to attack adjacent squares with the haft of your weapon and still get your reach attacks.

This is another one of those nice abilities I house-rule into a feat =P. My group has pretty much abandoned the Fighter class. I'm really waiting for that Unchained book to come out so we can give Fighters some nice abilities.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Double-chained kama, can you claim a 5ft threaten area AND a 10 threatened area at the same time? Like the 3.5e spiked chain?

Whip mastery allows for 5, 10, and 15 ft threaten at the same time??
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2015-01-20 at 11:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Double-chained kama, can you claim a 5ft threaten area AND a 10 threatened area at the same time? Like the 3.5e spiked chain?

Whip mastery allows for 5, 10, and 15 ft threaten at the same time??
    Double-Kama Yes, but it is an "Eastern" weapon, and may not be allowed in all games.

Improved Whip Mastery only allows for a 10ft. threat range, but you can still make regular attacks out to 15ft.

Scorpion Whips are weird. As-is they are not Whips, but with Whip Prof. you can use it as a Whip, but...just stay away from Scorpion Whips...
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2015-01-21 at 03:35 AM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide