New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    It would make sense that personally saving Damien Knight would probably upset whoever was trying to kill him.
    I understand, probably a better example would be a heart attack or something like that. But still, as the GM I would assign new enemies as the plot and as common sense dictated, not just to fill a hole in the character's build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I agree that there is something thematically weird about 'build points' being used to buy and trade narrative things, but I'm not inherently against it. (Actually, now I'm kinda curious what an RPG would look like if you could buy tropes. "I'm not a great shot, but whenever I walk in on a conversation, they're talking about something of interest to me.")
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    (Actually, now I'm kinda curious what an RPG would look like if you could buy tropes. "I'm not a great shot, but whenever I walk in on a conversation, they're talking about something of interest to me.")
    I'm 99% sure that you can do that with the right aspect in Fate.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #424

SwashbucklerGuy

If you go with the cinematic rules for GURPS you can.
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I'm 99% sure that you can do that with the right aspect in Fate.
    At the very most you'd need two, but yeah, you can do almost any combination of two things with an aspect in Fate.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

TvTropes: The Gaming

With the website as your reference book for abilities I can see character creation taking days.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I understand, probably a better example would be a heart attack or something like that. But still, as the GM I would assign new enemies as the plot and as common sense dictated, not just to fill a hole in the character's build.
    Another solution I've seen is where if you get rid of a negative trait without paying the cost, you have to pick up another one to make up the points. Gives a little more flexibility for reasonable choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post

With the website as your reference book for abilities I can see character creation taking days.
    ... days?

Optimist

9. - Top - End - #429

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    Another solution I've seen is where if you get rid of a negative trait without paying the cost, you have to pick up another one to make up the points. Gives a little more flexibility for reasonable choices.
    "When my unspecified dependents died, I turned to hard drugs. Then I went to rehab, but Damien Knight was at the same clinic, and certain words were exchanged, so we hate each other now. Or we did, until last Christmas, when we had to work together against the insect spirits. Insect spirits I was only able to defeat by going into deep into debt with a dragon..."

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post

Still a smaller pool of reference material than my D&D 3.5 library

10. - Top - End - #430

SwashbucklerGuy

One of my friends is currently playing as an AI, and in order to better understand normal society he has taken as a knowledge skill Interest: TVTropes 4.

It also has the side bonus of giving him something to sate his Media Junkie disadvantage.
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-11-05 at 03:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431

SwashbucklerGuy

So, genetics corp is experimenting on technomancers against their will, par for the course in 4th edition.

My question is- how does one safely detain a technomancer inside a state-of-the-art research facility?

I've got it to where they're being held in cells that are fully EM-shielded, with heavy-duty fully mechanical locks and an airlock-style double door to keep them isolated from any and all wireless signals. When they want to move them to the (similarly prepared) lab, they sedate them, wait for the team medic to state that they are genuinely unconscious, and have both the on-site spider and an additional remotely monitoring spider watching everything for signs of unusual activity. The team that does the physical movement is stripped of all wireless signalling capability. The computers and other equipment inside the lab are all fiber-optic links instead of wireless, with a ton of Blackout on them regardless.

Sound fair?

12. - Top - End - #432
    Spamalot in the Playground

So, genetics corp is experimenting on technomancers against their will, par for the course in 4th edition.
    My question is- how does one safely detain a technomancer inside a state-of-the-art research facility?
    My players did it with a strong signal jammer duct taped to the prisoner. XD

Your idea sounds really professional though, and that kind of isolation could drive a techno crazy.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #433

SwashbucklerGuy

The party's going to be on an unrelated run downstairs, but they will be approached by very unusual program (courier sprite) that the techno managed to seed onto a careless guard's commlink as a call for help. This technomancer is pretty genre-savvy, and realized that a megacorp genetics research lab in the middle of Seattle is just asking to be hit by shadowrunners, whether for him or for something completely unrelated...so he puts out a registered sprite with an incredible pool for Stealth, Sniffer, and Scan, and tells it to lay low and relay a cry for help to anyone who pops up on the local 'Trix that seems like a runner.

Also sound fair?

Also, they'll probably have thrown him an emotitoy or something as a reward for good behavior. What interesting things could he do with one of those given several days of confinement and nothing better to do?
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-11-05 at 03:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

All sounds good but any competent Corp. will have some way of tracking him that he doesn't know about. Probably a magical method to stop him disabling it
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

15. - Top - End - #435

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh yeah, there are watcher spirits posted around the facility too, and a mage does a check every day to ensure nothing weird has happened, like someone else posted a watcher spirit or whatever.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

Exactly, also if you're feeling nasty they'll have taken a tissue sample to provide a ritual link
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

17. - Top - End - #437

SwashbucklerGuy

It's a genetics company doing medical experiments, of course there are tissue samples
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-11-05 at 05:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438

SwashbucklerGuy

Aaaand I'm back.

I've noticed that while Unwired does a pretty good job giving examples of security deckers, Street Magic isn't so good with security mages. I'll admit that magic is rather my weak point in most games, and Shadowrun isn't an exception.

The situation calls for me to have a routine-inspection mage who refreshes any watcher spirits that may have gone poof, casts a bunch of detection spells, and goes off to the next place on his patrol list, as well as the Knight-Errant Fast Response Team's mage. Any tips on spell lists, foci, strategies, etc?

On a related note, a friend of mine insists that Lone Star has mages on its heavy-duty response teams who carry nigh-impenetrable rune shields, but I haven't found anything official to back that up. Is this something he put together for his setting, or did that appear somewhere?
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-11-06 at 03:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

On a related note, a friend of mine insists that Lone Star has mages on its heavy-duty response teams who carry nigh-impenetrable rune shields, but I haven't found anything official to back that up. Is this something he put together for his setting, or did that appear somewhere?
    While I'm sure Lone Star do have Mages for their response teams I've never heard anything about them having 'rune shields'. Nor does it really make sense for Lone Star to have these and nobody else so I'd say this is something he created for his setting
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2015-11-06 at 05:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadowrun II question: Narcojet damage:
    Let’s say that Runner is shooting Guard with a Narcojet weapon (yes, very original names). Runner gets 4 successes on the firearms skill. Guard is wearing an armored jacket(impact 3), and has a combat pool (or threat rating) of 5 and a body of 4. So Guard makes a combat pool/threat rating test against the dart and gets 2 successes. This is not enough to dodge the shot (Runner got 4 successes). Now Guard makes a body test against the toxin (6D Stun) and gets 4 successes (he rolls really well!). Are these successes canceled by Runner’s firearms successes before scaling the damage (leaving it at Deadly Stun)? Or do all Guard’s successes cancel Runner’s successes, leaving two net Guard successes, reducing the damage to Serious? Or do Guard’s Body Test successes ignore all of Runner’s successes, which would reduce the damage to Moderate?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Shadowrun II question: Narcojet damage:
    Let’s say that Runner is shooting Guard with a Narcojet weapon (yes, very original names). Runner gets 4 successes on the firearms skill. Guard is wearing an armored jacket(impact 3), and has a combat pool (or threat rating) of 5 and a body of 4. So Guard makes a combat pool/threat rating test against the dart and gets 2 successes. This is not enough to dodge the shot (Runner got 4 successes). Now Guard makes a body test against the toxin (6D Stun) and gets 4 successes (he rolls really well!). Are these successes canceled by Runner’s firearms successes before scaling the damage (leaving it at Deadly Stun)? Or do all Guard’s successes cancel Runner’s successes, leaving two net Guard successes, reducing the damage to Serious? Or do Guard’s Body Test successes ignore all of Runner’s successes, which would reduce the damage to Moderate?
    As we ran it. You needed to hit the target to get the Narcojet into them but it didn't matter how well you hit them, all you got was the damage from the drug.
    So as the guard got 4 successes on his Body test then he does indeed knock the damage from the Narcojet down to Moderate

22. - Top - End - #442
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Shadowrun 4th and/or 5th.

Are there any adventure for 4th or 5th that have a Resident Evil feeling? If possible RE1, RE2, REvelations 1 and/or REvelations 2. Or something with lots of ghouls, zombies and the like.

Thanks!
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

I've never played it but from what I've heard 'Renraku Arcology Shutdown' would suit your needs. Basically the Renraku Arcology is taken over by a rogue A.I. which cuts it off from the rest of Seattle and then releases various creative murder machines into it to hunt down and murder its inhabitants
    This is an old book so you'll have to search a little to find it and adapt it to 4th or 5th Edition

24. - Top - End - #444
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I've never played it but from what I've heard 'Renraku Arcology Shutdown' would suit your needs. Basically the Renraku Arcology is taken over by a rogue A.I. which cuts it off from the rest of Seattle and then releases various creative murder machines into it to hunt down and murder its inhabitants
    This is an old book so you'll have to search a little to find it and adapt it to 4th or 5th Edition
    It's from 3rd. Ok, thanks a lot. Will give it a read. So far seems interesting. My best bet is to use the upper floors that are closed to the public.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

25. - Top - End - #445

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    System Shock???

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

So I got the random idea of a blind hacker/rigger chick with a seeing eye drone. Now I just need a fluff reason for her to not just grab a set of cybereyes and see again, since she has no problem whatsoever with cyber. (the alternative would be a technomancer, but eh, I like my hackers more mundane than magical)
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #447

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    So I got the random idea of a blind hacker/rigger chick with a seeing eye drone. Now I just need a fluff reason for her to not just grab a set of cybereyes and see again, since she has no problem whatsoever with cyber. (the alternative would be a technomancer, but eh, I like my hackers more mundane than magical)
    Cybereyes still assume the brain has the capability of interpreting visual data. If she were blind from any of the conditions in which the blindness stems from the brain and not the eyes themselves, it becomes a lot harder to just cyber it away. It would take neurosurgery, genetic rehabilitation, etc., which some people are simply just not willing to do. She'd get no real benefit from a straight optical camera in said seeing-eye drone, I think, but there are a ton of other sensor types available which would still work for her.
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-11-28 at 04:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Cybereyes still assume the brain has the capability of interpreting visual data. If she were blind from any of the conditions in which the blindness stems from the brain and not the eyes themselves, it becomes a lot harder to just cyber it away. It would take neurosurgery, genetic rehabilitation, etc., which some people are simply just not willing to do. She'd get no real benefit from a straight optical camera in said seeing-eye drone, I think, but there are a ton of other sensor types available which would still work for her.
    And the drone might be able to actually see, and convert the information into other sources for her (such as reading signs aloud, or into a mastoid speaker). The downside to an idea like this is she's probably going to need a lot of custom gear... the sensor set up of a normal rigger will be useless to her.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

Are there any rules for Cyberzombies in SR5? My brother wants to know, because he wants one to be a terminator type enemy constantly coming for us in his upcoming campaign

30. - Top - End - #450
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Are there any rules for Cyberzombies in SR5? My brother wants to know, because he wants one to be a terminator type enemy constantly coming for us in his upcoming campaign
    Not that I know of (I know nothing of 5e, sad to say), but you might also have it be an AI in what is essentially an anthroform drone.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.