New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Maneuvers for a mid-level Investigator taking a Harbinger dip (Path of War)

So I am building an Investigator for a low combat home game, and I just realized that a dip into Harbinger might be the best multiclass option available. My guy is probably going be running 18 INT, so it's a +2 bonus on attack rolls, extra movement, and access to a few maneuvers to help diversify my action economy.

I'm going to be going either Investigator 7/Harbinger 1 or Investigator 8/Harbinger 1, depending on what level I get started at. The upside is I get my pick of 2nd level or 3rd level maneuvers for my 5 known (and 1 stance). I'm not sure what Maneuvers to pick though. Guy is going to be a skill monkey primarily, and a crook who likes having tricks up his sleeve. Veiled Moon looks pretty good, with Brilliant Moon, Altered Penumbra, and Ghost Walk all adding to being sweet in or out of combat. (Are Stances occupied out of combat, or does a Swift Action always need to be taken at the beginning of any combat?) Cursed Razor doesn't seem good as a stand alone. Primal Fury has some nice options too...

Anyway, I would appreciate some advice. :) This is my first exposure to initiators, and it should be a good practice for when I wind up building a pure Harbinger eventually.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Maneuvers for a mid-level Investigator taking a Harbinger dip (Path of War)

Heeeeey! Harbinger author & Path of War: Expanded design lead here, I'm overjoyed to hear you're using my content. Lemme see if I can help ya out at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Guy is going to be a skill monkey primarily, and a crook who likes having tricks up his sleeve. Veiled Moon looks pretty good, with Brilliant Moon, Altered Penumbra, and Ghost Walk all adding to being sweet in or out of combat.
    I might also suggest looking into some of the Shattered Mirror stuff, which has some overlap with Veiled Moon and, at higher levels, does some truly strange stuff.

(Are Stances occupied out of combat, or does a Swift Action always need to be taken at the beginning of any combat?)
    Unlike Styles, Stances are always on until you:

- Spend a Swift action to leave all Stances, becoming Stance-less
    - Spend a Swift action to enter a new Stance
    - Become unconscious or otherwise helpless

Anyway, I would appreciate some advice. :) This is my first exposure to initiators, and it should be a good practice for when I wind up building a pure Harbinger eventually.
    If your campaign is, as you say, low-combat than I would definitely place an emphasis on mobility and utility maneuvers. Shattered Mirror can be of particular use in chase-style scenes with Doppelganger Waltz and Funhouse Waltz, but your emphasis on Veiled Moon is going to be your friend here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Maneuvers for a mid-level Investigator taking a Harbinger dip (Path of War)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Heeeeey! Harbinger author & Path of War: Expanded design lead here, I'm overjoyed to hear you're using my content. Lemme see if I can help ya out at all...

I might also suggest looking into some of the Shattered Mirror stuff, which has some overlap with Veiled Moon and, at higher levels, does some truly strange stuff.

Unlike Styles, Stances are always on until you:

- Spend a Swift action to leave all Stances, becoming Stance-less
    - Spend a Swift action to enter a new Stance
    - Become unconscious or otherwise helpless

If your campaign is, as you say, low-combat than I would definitely place an emphasis on mobility and utility maneuvers. Shattered Mirror can be of particular use in chase-style scenes with Doppelganger Waltz and Funhouse Waltz, but your emphasis on Veiled Moon is going to be your friend here.

Thanks! This was super helpful. Also, can I just say I love your work on this class? Great flavor, awesome class features before you even get to the maneuvers. I really want to play the full Harbinger, but I decided to go Investigator this time because of the aforementioned low combat.

I figure I should snag at least one Strike for big damage, just to be able to bust out when I need it. Any recommendations there? Or is there a debuff route that might suit me better? Obsidian Razor Style could be big on a full attack if I max out my Craft (Alchemy). Shattered Glass Smite does solid damage. (Does the original target take 6d6 in total on that?)

(Also, I have been trying to figure out when this baby is being released and haven't been able to figure it out. Or is there anything more up to date than the beta?)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Rising/Ruby Zenith Strike is one of the stronger single attack strikes if you have damage bonuses that last a single attack (especially if you are an Empiricist Investigator and make it use an intelligence based skill instead of a wisdom based one) but you don't have access to Scarlet Throne. You could join the Scarlet Sentinels but that has RP implications.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Remember that you can grab an out-of-class maneuver or stance with the Advanced Study feat, in place of the normal two class maneuvers or single class stance.