The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Monk Quick-Fix: Add Bard Casting of Self-Buffing Spells (PEACH, Genius/Stupid)

Consider the poor Tier 5 Monk. The Monk "fluff" is mind-over-matter, that mental discipline pays off physically.

So what if you take that fluff seriously in terms of D&D 3.5 "physics" and let monks cast self-buffing spells? Since I'm all about the quick-fix, let's say we use the Bard casting progression for spell slots and spells known, casting off of Wisdom.

Self-buffing either makes the monk a competent melee combatant, or adds plenty of out-of-combat utility. Does that get the Monk into Tier 3? Raise him to the top of Tier 5? Tier 4?

There are less than 30 self-buffing spells in the SRD by my count, so we're not that far from a fixed-list caster.

(The class is still practically invalidated by the existence of the Monk's Belt, but I think that's mostly a problem with the Monk's Belt)

So, genius or stupid?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Monk Quick-Fix: Add Bard Casting of Self-Buffing Spells (PEACH, Genius/Stupid)

The problem with quick-fixes is that they tend not to address the huge variety of issues certain classes have or the depth of the problems with them.There's nothing inherently wrong with gestalting classes a bit, but somehow spellcasting just feel wrong for the monk IMO.
    If you're focusing mainly on passive buffs, why not just make them auras instead?

In terms of judging power, merely patching some of the monk's melee-combat deficiencies would bring him up to tier-4, at most, and a weak tier-4 at that, since he's still armor-less, limited in weapon selection, and feat-starved.

When I tried to "fix" the monk, I basically rebuilt the entire class from the ground up. It works, I think, but it's by no means quick or simple. If you're curious though, you can find the link in my extended signature.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2015-01-22 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Monk Quick-Fix: Add Bard Casting of Self-Buffing Spells (PEACH, Genius/Stupid)

Define self-buffing spells. Do you just mean any spell with a personal range and a buff effect? Do you mean any single target spell with a buff effect?

I'd say you want to go through and make an actual spell list based primarily off of Transmutation (maybe Divination as well) with a few clerical Evocation effects (Divine Power) and make them either used as Spell-like Abilities or look at Psionics instead of magic and make a psionic monk.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Define self-buffing spells. Do you just mean any spell with a personal range and a buff effect? Do you mean any single target spell with a buff effect?

I'd say you want to go through and make an actual spell list based primarily off of Transmutation (maybe Divination as well) with a few clerical Evocation effects (Divine Power) and make them either used as Spell-like Abilities or look at Psionics instead of magic and make a psionic monk.
    Self-buffing spells have a range of "Self" or "Touch" and increase the target's abilities in some way.

0 Level
    Cure Minor Wounds
    Detect Magic, Detect Poison,
    Guidance, Resistance, Virtue
    Read Magic
    Know Direction

1st Level--29 spells in the SRD, many of which would be weak choices for one of your few spells (auras, mantras koans etc) known
    Bless
    Comprehend Languages
    Cure Light Wounds
    Detect Evil/Good/Law/Chaos, Undead, SEcret Doors, Animals and Plants, Snares and Pits
    Divine Favor
    Endure Elements
    Entropic Shield
    Hide From Undead
    Protection from Evil/Good/Chaos/Law
    Remove Fear
    Sanctuary
    Shield of Faith
    Shield
    Mage Armor
    True Strike
    Disguise Self
    Enlarge/REduce Person
    Expeditious Retreat
    Feather Fall
    Jump
    Longstrider
    Magic Fang
    Pass Without Trace
    Speak With Animals

2nd level
    Aid
    Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor
    Cure Moderate Wounds
    Delay Poison
    Find Traps
    Remove Paralysis
    Resist Energy
    Lesser Restoration
    Undetectable Alignment
    Protection from Arrows
    Detect Thoughts
    Locate Object
    See Invisibility
    Blur
    Invisibility
    Mirror Image
    Darkvision
    Levitate
    Spider Climb
    Barkskin
    Last edited by johnbragg; 2015-01-22 at 09:34 PM.