New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #973 - The Discussion Thread

The gnomes seem to be taking this in stride to some extent, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Yay for the return of "Plan B".
    Don't you mean Plan A?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

3. - Top - End - #93

ClericGirl

Running away is all the plans.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, so Haley got her hands on a caster level 5 Wand of Magic Missile and wasted a charge. The expensive arrows all missed somehow and landed in the water. Now they're running away, hopefully to find Roy. That leaves an unconscious Elan lying in the street just waiting for Bozzok to follow Crystal out into the street and slit his throat. And I also remember Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner.
    My books - Have Sword & Sorcery: Will Travel™ (available to buy at all good online bookshops)

Literary threat #19:
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword - and I'm pretty handy with both, you know...

5. - Top - End - #95

The gnomes are probably waiting for gnome EMS to get there and watching over him.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2015-01-22 at 08:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmmm. . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Did we just see Chekhov's Cliff? 20d6 falling damage would devastate a normal flesh golem, assuming the drop is at least 200' and Haley can figure out some way to maneuver C. Golem into making the plunge.

7. - Top - End - #97

Hmm. Given that we've got a vampire and a Frankenstein's monster on our hands now, clearly Haley and Bandanna will be saved/further menaced by Wolfman!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Good point. I assumed they meant the arrows hit something in the water. It's definitely likely that the fact they were Adamantine arrows and she was saving them to use against Sabine is going to come up, given how she pointed it out.
    That does make more sense. I agree, I think Haley will be missing those arrows one day.

(Although I don't think Sabine will be an enemy of the Order anymore, given her mood last time we saw her)

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    Hmmm. . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Did we just see Chekhov's Cliff? 20d6 falling damage would devastate a normal flesh golem, assuming the drop is at least 200' and Haley can figure out some way to maneuver C. Golem into making the plunge.
    I don't think it's a cliff, I think it's a shore. In the next panel you hear the arrows hitting the water.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    Hmmm. . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Cliff? What cliff?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    That does make more sense. I agree, I think Haley will be missing those arrows one day.

(Although I don't think Sabine will be an enemy of the Order anymore, given her mood last time we saw her)
    It would be somewhat strange to make a point of saying "Haley does not have access to this item that she has had no indication thus far of having access to."

It seems far more likely to me that Rich is either explaining why Haley is unable to just keep shooting arrows at Crystal until she eventually hits (because she will/has run out), or that Haley has access, if limited, to those sorts of arrows now should he need her to in the future.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #101

PaladinGuy

I don't think it's a cliff, I think it's a shore. In the next panel you hear the arrows hitting the water.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The island is surrounded by water, so the arrows would hit water in any event, and the railing there implies a drop of some kind past the edge--but I went back and looked at the wide shot of the island and it doesn't look like the inhabited area has any long drops next to it (though the scale isn't quite clear, given that the volcano could be thousands of feet high at least in theory, but might be much shorter).

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Yay for the return of "Plan B".
    They set something on fire?

Let's just hope that Haley remembered to buy wands with buff spells, Expeditious Retreat would help them get away and come up with a plan.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #103

RedWizardGuy

Oh, just saw Rich's post on page 1. Anyway.

The artwork is a little weird, Crystal looks... washed out in panel 5. Not sure how to explain it.
    Last edited by Gusion; 2015-01-22 at 09:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Don't you mean Plan A?
    No, see Plan B refers to a specific kind of bravely running away. Plan A would be a different kind entirely. The distinction is subtle, but important.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    That's pretty over-confident of Haley to take all those penalties firing three arrows at once when they're in limited supply like that.
    She fired the arrows separately, just condensed into one panel.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2015-01-22 at 09:05 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

I've got a theory. This "golem" is actually Jacinda in disguise, with buffs. Just notice how many times she dodges.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard View Post
    I've got a theory. This "golem" is actually Jacinda in disguise, with buffs. Just notice how many times she dodges.
    Why would Jacinda care? Assuming she did, why would she disguise herself? As a corollary, how would she know specifics about Crystal (such as the, "nice boots" line)?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard View Post
    That doesn't really fit with how we know the Vector Legion operates, plus its unlikely that they would target Haley and make it look like it came from her past. Tarquin WANTS Elan to come after him, which he wont be doing if some otherwise unrelated antagonist comes and kills his girlfriend.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #108

Wow the dodge.. the DR.. still has sneak attack... from a pure min/maxer perspective she's just gotten stronger and all that happened was her dump stats got worse! Lol I would be like, girl you're not DEAD, you're UPGRADED! You should be thanking me!
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

The artwork is a little weird, Crystal looks... washed out in panel 5. Not sure how to explain it.
    That's so that the focus is on Bandana and Haley working out a strategy while Crystal is just in the background stewing.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

How are arrows landing in water Checkov's Arrows? I'm dying to know.
    Chekov Underspring, gnomish scuba-diver, retrieves the arrows. Simple.
    What is difficult terrain for an ooze? A colander?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why would Jacinda care? Assuming she did, why would she disguise herself? As a corollary, how would she know specifics about Crystal (such as the, "nice boots" line)?
    Yeah, I think that if Jacinda came after them, she would just come as herself. Tarquin has no need to hide his actions; given his actions in BRitF he would probably want to motivate Elan to seek revenge on him. The need to know those things about Crystal is also a big, big drawback.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

You know, Hailey... there's wands and then there's wands. Specifically, a Wand of Grease would probably help much better against a flesh golem, since it doesn't permit SR and the Reflex save is probably not all that stellar. Not that the DC is much better with a wand, but at least it's going to have to do the Balance check. Plus there's the whole 'keystone cops' bit about hitting a greasy patch and sliding around that's always good for a couple of yuks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

23. - Top - End - #113

Thematically, it also doesn't make such sense to go through the whole battle to defeat Tarquin just to have him pop up literally on their tail at their next stop.

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Menarker View Post
    Also, I was wondering for a moment while I saw 973 "Try Try Again", clicked on on it and saw 972's comic. Then a minute or two later, tried again and saw the new one. ^^ Saw the new comic in the same minute it came out. Such wonderful timing. ^^
    That is fantastic
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

25. - Top - End - #115

MindFlayer

How are arrows landing in water Checkov's Arrows? I'm dying to know.
    I don't think they landed in water. I think Pam from Archer caught them off-panel, and she likes them.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Does anyone reading this actually REMEMBER Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner, or am I totally showing my age?
    Oh yes. I wasn't thinking the Giant would go there, but the cliffside water scene definitely would forshadow it in this context.

*also, I am always wrong with this comic.

27. - Top - End - #117

Ooh, run away.

Yeah, Elan's not able to run away right now.

If any other enemies of the Order are around, now is a good time to get Elan.

C;mooooooooooon, Crystal. Elan's right there. Earn redemption by killing the most evil character in OOTS! He who blew up all the near-extinct and outdated second edition monsters (in addition to all of the characters in the last panel of strip 89). He was indirectly responsible for Azure City's catapults being destroyed by Scoundrel and the crew of the Mechane. He demoralized the Azure City soldiers when his bard song and the buffs it could have given would have, by numbers, made him by far the most useful of the OOTS, but no, he broke his arm and couldn't play the lute. He robbed that innocent shopkeep of his stuff in comic 388, and he helped repeat murderer Thog escape prison. Elan also wasted the girdle of femininity/masculinity when it could have been used as the ultimate tool in determining V's gender and thus collapsing the waveform and solving the eternal question (or put it on the Snarl and turn it into ???). HE also makes the most terrifying gestures and facial expressions, as seen in panel 111 of 123 (his face... his face) and his horrifying arm in panel three of 266.

He also murders innocent windows, breaking teh hearts of windowmakers everywhere. And, unlike O-CHul, he does not weep for the masterpiece he destroys.

NOTE: THIS IS SILLY POST, NOT SERIOUS POST. DO NOT GET CONFUSED.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It would be somewhat strange to make a point of saying "Haley does not have access to this item that she has had no indication thus far of having access to."

It seems far more likely to me that Rich is either explaining why Haley is unable to just keep shooting arrows at Crystal until she eventually hits (because she will/has run out), or that Haley has access, if limited, to those sorts of arrows now should he need her to in the future.
    Yeah, probably that.

That's true. Her outline is gray instead of black. I'm sure it'll get fixed for the book.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

That's true. Her outline is gray instead of black. I'm sure it'll get fixed for the book.
    I'm fairly sure that's an intentional choice to make it clear that Crystal is in the background of the panel and that Haley and Bandana are in the foreground; the first panel of the last comic did the same with Crystal, Haley and Bandana.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No Flesh Golem has the ability to dodge like that! She must be a Revenant!

But seriously, that is some hardcore dodging right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".