New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Does Silence protect you from Blasphemy? Source, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Aside from Silence and being Evil I don't know of any defense against Blasphemy.
    Spellblade.
    Being able to hit a Bluff DC of 70.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

The worst part isnt the DM not knowing the rules, its the DM not admitting he is wrong when shown proof.
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    The worst part isnt the DM not knowing the rules, its the DM not admitting he is wrong when shown proof.
    I don't like it...But I'm willing to bet everyone's done it at least once in their lives as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Spellblade.
    One of those seems relevant to the average character. I also forgot you can try to counter the Blasphemy, for what it is worth.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Aside from Silence and being Evil I don't know of any defense against Blasphemy.

Aligned Planar Terrain Mastery — Horizon Walker 6+
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Spellblade.
    Spellblades only work on targeted spells.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'd rule that the casting of the spell is "Sonic" (calling down your God's wrath on the impure, etc). As long as the God in question can "hear" the call, the spell works.

The effects of the spell have no sonic component as they are just the power of the God working through their intermediary (the caster). This would affect everyone in range regardless of silence/line of sight/etc.
    TTFN

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riculf View Post
    I'd rule that the casting of the spell is "Sonic" (calling down your God's wrath on the impure, etc). As long as the God in question can "hear" the call, the spell works.

The effects of the spell have no sonic component as they are just the power of the God working through their intermediary (the caster). This would affect everyone in range regardless of silence/line of sight/etc.
    Under that reasoning, aren't all spells with a verbal component "sonic"?
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Moon View Post
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?
    The clone Rudisplorker, doppelganger of Threadnaught.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

The spell requiring that "your god hear you" or whatever would just be it having a verbal component. Which most spells do. The effect of the spell, though, is sonic, as evidenced by the [sonic] tag. You could even modify Blasphemy with the Silent Spell metamagic, which would have the effect that the caster wouldn't need to utter a thing, but would still magically produce the sound of an unholy word.

Incidentally, Word of Chaos and Holy Word both do require that the victims be able to hear them, while Blasphemy and Dictum do not. I'm not sure what the reason is for this asymmetry, which means that a deaf Lawful Evil character is immune to all four.

Oh, and all four of these spells also allow spell resistance, so that's another possible defense.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's also worth noting that a number of later sonic effects (spells and creature abilities) specify that silence "merely" gives a bonus on the saving throw (usually +10 to +20 iirc). Personally I think this would be a good change to make to Blasphemy etc., but it is definitely a change. There is also an argument that the banishment effect will not be stopped by Silence, but that is a separate discussion.

As for ways to counter the Blasphemy, it also means that bardic countersong should work, but that would required a readied action or a bard pre-singing against Blasphemy just in case.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Blasphemy doesn't normally allow for a save; that is what makes it so potent.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Khedrac:

It's also worth noting that a number of later sonic effects (spells and creature abilities) specify that silence "merely" gives a bonus on the saving throw (usually +10 to +20 iirc).
    Examples? I don't think I've ever encountered this.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Examples? I don't think I've ever encountered this.
    I may be semi-wrong on this one. I know we encountered at least one effect like this whilst playing the Savage Tide adventure path (I think) from Dungeon, but that's not WotC. I thought I had seen such stats written down somewhere, but since I do not recall where I am probably misremembering.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

And here we might have the defending gm .....
    No spoilers in this signature.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This is ableist discrimination against deaf gods.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Naw, The verbal component is the god hearing the request. The sonic part is the diety being all like:

evil caster gal: "EVIL GOD! Make these goodies stop harshing my mellow!"
    EVIL GOD: "Hey you good... peeps stop being so good and stuff. You should like stop living."
    -10HD good guy: "Oh that makes sense. Bleah!" *Dies*
    -5HD good person: "ohmygawsh that's skary! Im stand here without mooobing nowz."
    -1HD good dude: "EVIL GOD? uuuhhhggg arguing with you is sooo tiring..."
    sameHD good friend: "Huh? what? ah! that's EVIL GOD... oh! right the fight my bad bros!"
    moreHD good bro: "Pshh, yeah right I'm not doing that!"

So as you can see by my astute analysis this could not work in an area of silence.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Since Blasphemy didn't exist until 3.x, and is a direct descendant of Unholy Word, it should work the same as Holy Word. Unfortunately, Holy Word is worded in a way that Blasphemy is not.

Holy Word: "Any nongood creature within the area that hears the holy word suffers the following ill effects."

Blasphemy: "Any nonevil creature within the area of a blasphemy spell suffers the following ill effects."

However, the secondary effect of both is worded exactly the same:

"This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the holy word."

"This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the blasphemy."

There should probably be a bit of Errata done here... Since there is No Save, preventing Silence as a defense against Blasphemy seems to make it more powerful than a 7th level spell. It certainly makes it more powerful than Holy Word, which should not normally be the case if they are intended to be opposites. Unless Blasphemy was intended by the designers to be more powerful than Holy Word for some reason.

However, in this case, it seems like the DM/GM is being bull-headed and stubborn, which can have many causes. Show your DM this thread, make him/her squirm in their seat.
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"