1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ghost rules confusion

Hi playground,

Trying to build a ghost opponent, but I'm having trouble figuring out the special abilities.

From the SRD:

The ghost also gains a manifestation ability plus one to three other special attacks as described below.
    What determines how many other special attacks a ghost actually gets? Is the entire list of choices all the (Su) abilities minus Manifestation?

That question aside, the ghost I'm trying to build is a guardian warrior of a sacred place. Any (straightforward) advice for how to build it to be able to fight in melee? I assume the ghost's touch attack (if selected?) is a natural attack and therefore cannot get iteratives? If the ghost took improved unarmed strike, could it use those to deliver its touch attacks in the same way as a touch spell?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ghost rules confusion

Quote Originally Posted by justiceforall View Post
    What determines how many other special attacks a ghost actually gets? Is the entire list of choices all the (Su) abilities minus Manifestation?
    The DM. And yes you can pick from anything on that list. Manifestation is automatic.

That question aside, the ghost I'm trying to build is a guardian warrior of a sacred place. Any (straightforward) advice for how to build it to be able to fight in melee?
    I am a fan of the malevolence ability personally. Without a defense against it you can hijack a party member and really mess with the action (and help deal with the action economy issue). Another option is to combine Horrific Visage with Draining Touch set to Con. You will quickly kill of party members that way. Set it to Dex if you want to leave them alive but helpless. Corrupting Gaze forces a save every turn so can quickly take a lon Cha party member out of the fight. Remember that the ghost also has class levels to back it up.

As far as I know the ghosts touch attacks are just that and cannot be combined with natural weapons, iteratives, or IUS. If it could imagine: give it a full BAB class and hit for an easy 2d4 stat mod a round. Set it to Cha and rip them apart with the touch + Gaze in one turn.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-01-22 at 08:51 PM.
    Awesome avatar by snusnumrik!

I often post from my phone so please forgive really weird typos.

Homebrew: Mountebank Fix|Warrior Adept

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    The DM. And yes you can pick from anything on that list.
    That seems like very loose design. It's not even bound to CR or HD?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The cr rules are more like general guidelines than useful rules. The point of the ghost template is that it is super flexible and no two ghosts will be the same.
    Awesome avatar by snusnumrik!

I often post from my phone so please forgive really weird typos.

Homebrew: Mountebank Fix|Warrior Adept

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. It is in pathfinder but not in 3.5e.
    My Homebrew (200+) Not up to date

Previous Avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

By Aruius.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

It's the between one and three thing that really seems odd. Oh well.

Is there a way that the ghost can get multiple touch attacks per round?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just thought I'd mention the Ghost template class that gives you an exact amount as you progress though it
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).