New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Your social intelligence

Scored 30. Suffer from severe social anxiety, currently untreated: when I was a regular student years ago I would become artificially nauseous returning to college after the weekend. I just last week had my first day at a new school and prior to that had probably only left my house about twice a month, typically for grocery related purposes or transporting the one friend I interact with in meatspace to and from my house.

The results of this test are useful when you average them across many people, but they are likely to be inaccurate for any individual person.
    I would attribute my, and the scores of most of us who self-identify as antisocial, to this. We're pretty far from "many people" still, but it's interesting to consider possible explanations regardless.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I got a 26, and I can tell you why. The more the eyes were pointed away from me the harder it was to tell what the heck they were expressing, with one of them almost exactly matching (>_>). I couldn't tell if they were trying to use the eyes looking away as an indicator or not, as usually eyes flick and don't stare off in some direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #33

This isn't really testing social intelligence. It's testing your ability to read emotions by looking at a static black-and-white picture of eyes, which is a specific aspect of social intelligence. It's like measuring someone's academic intelligence by making them write a paper on the death of Franz Ferdinand.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if my lower-than-average (for here) score also reflects the fact that I allowed myself only a timed 5 seconds per picture to decide what emotion was being shown.

Of course, since my score was about average overall, it's probably fairly accurate...
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I got 20 out of 36. It seems that is the lowest so far. I'm not too surprised; I've always felt that I have a very low Sense Motive, so to speak. After about halfway through the test, almost all of the expressions simply looked neutral to me, so I picked whatever the most neutral-seeming emotion listed was. The ones with neutrally positioned eyebrows all looked basically the same to me, only with varying levels of being alert or not (which isn't what it was asking, so clearly that wasn't actually the difference).

I have always been highly introverted and have a bit of a tendency to avoid direct eye contact with people (or switch to staring them right in the eye, which I suppose is awkward?), in case anyone's gathering data on that sort of thing out of curiousity.
    Last edited by Remmirath; 2015-01-25 at 02:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    26, the average. Although some of them I chose randomly because the eyes looked nothing like any of the options given.
    What? Ridiculous! These were obviously well designed with no weird answers at all! See?

Spoiler
    Show

Although now, I see a subtle difference in the lay of the cheek between the nearest eye and the far one, indicating a crook of the mouth – she's smiling with only the corner nearest the camera, which I would peg as interested.

But most of these, I had to read the musculature of the face because so much context is missing. And for the older men with sunken faces, or the more finely manicured eyebrows, that was a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    This is an experiment. It's a question, not an answer.

They might be calibrating. I suspect that they are trying to find differences in interpretation by age and by sex. (I noticed that I was picking a positive interpretation for all women's eyes. Is this simply because I'm an older male?)

In any event, the ability to read eyes may or may not matter. The best people persons read tone of voice, word choice, body position, etc.
    Actually, there were fewer negative options available for the feminine eyes. I was wondering about that past the third; was it intentional? Etc.

Maybe it's random though? Do they have more than 37 they display?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh. I got a 29, and like some others in this thread, I suffer from social anxiety and consider myself pretty bad at reading people. A lot of the choices definitely felt like a crapshoot.

I wonder if some of them had more than one correct answer? Also, I'm not sure how "scientifically validated" I would consider this test lol.
    The littlest goblin in the Playground.

Adorable avatar by Ink.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Actually, there were fewer negative options available for the feminine eyes. I was wondering about that past the third; was it intentional? Etc.
    I don't know if it was intentional (I doubt it) but I know that's one of the scholarly critiques of it. In particular, that it can't really be used to demonstrate differences between men and women because of that imbalance.

Maybe it's random though? Do they have more than 37 they display?
    I don't believe so. I'm not sure why no one's made an expanded version. It seems like it would be pretty easy, maybe a few weeks worth of work for an undergrad intern and then an undergrad thesis (maybe a term paper; I'm not super familiar with psych expectations) to validate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torzini View Post
    I wonder if some of them had more than one correct answer? Also, I'm not sure how "scientifically validated" I would consider this test lol.
    It has problems, but it's used fairly often (the revised version has been cited almost 2000 times), seems to correspond to real-world differences in behavior and ability (people with autism score significantly lower on average, for example), and has good test-retest validity.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #39
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Maybe the people with social anxiety think more about what other people are thinking than those of us without, and so do better at this sort of test? Just a thought, I've never had that issue myself so don't know how it works.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Maybe the people with social anxiety think more about what other people are thinking than those of us without, and so do better at this sort of test? Just a thought, I've never had that issue myself so don't know how it works.
    There's a significant degree of hyper-monitoring others' emotions that, as I speculated upthread, could lead to this, though at least for me I thought I tended to misread others' emotions (leading to paranoia).
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

28. I'm anti-social IRL.

Perhaps there should've been a 'not-sure' option? Because there's a 1/4 chance of guessing right even when you don't know? Towards the end, the eyes were getting rather... neutral.

But yea, it tests only a small portion of what makes up 'social intelligence'. For one thing, the environment is artifical. I've seen a TV series which does social experiments in more 'natural' environments, such as the case of the hiding man in an actual pub. Can't remember what it's called though.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-01-25 at 07:53 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

One thing I'm interested in is the source of the photos. Are these people pretending to have the given emotion, or are these actual photos of people whose mood was somehow later identifiable but who were reacting naturally to something at the time, and didn't know their pictures would be used for this purpose?

If they're acting for it, I can see that as skewing the results upward because of the natural tendency to exaggerate the emotional signals when you're pretending. "Hamming it up" for the camera, in effect.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

29, slightly surprised as I tend to be a bit shy and anti-social ( at lerast with people I haven't really gotten to know)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    One thing I'm interested in is the source of the photos. Are these people pretending to have the given emotion, or are these actual photos of people whose mood was somehow later identifiable but who were reacting naturally to something at the time, and didn't know their pictures would be used for this purpose?

If they're acting for it, I can see that as skewing the results upward because of the natural tendency to exaggerate the emotional signals when you're pretending. "Hamming it up" for the camera, in effect.
    They're from '80s magazines; I think it's marginally difficult to get truly natural expressions of many emotions in any remotely ethical manner. But as long as everyone's looking at the same pictures it should be possible to get a </=/> comparison even if people do better in the "lab" than they would in a bar.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

30/36, surprising given my current mental state. Seems like working in PR trumps wanting to fight the world today.

16. - Top - End - #46

NecromancerGuy

26/36

I am really good at reading people when it comes to full photos judging pose, gestures, facial expressions etc and this is really frequent for me because I live in a rather expressive country. This test though blew me off. I can't work that good with only a random snapshot of the eyes. Anyway it was a nice test. Thanks for sharing!
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

I made snap decisions for each, and I was pretty sure I was completely wrong each time.

This raises a question: if you personally believe you're misreading emotions, what's the worth of being right? You won't trust your own judgement anyway.

Shyness, antisocial tendencies, introvertedness shouldn't be any factor, I think. Even an extreme introvert like me can recognise emotions. We just won't be able to do anything with that information. Heh.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

That's true, I Guess. I was also convinced that I was wrong half the time and then had a lot of points.

Most of the time, I could narrow it down to "Is that a negative or positive emotion?" and then mentally flip a coin between the two remaining.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Shyness, antisocial tendencies, introvertedness shouldn't be any factor, I think. Even an extreme introvert like me can recognise emotions. We just won't be able to do anything with that information. Heh.
    This is true, haha. I suppose one could even argue (without any evidence on my part, just taking a stab) that those who suffer from social anxiety are in fact slightly better at reading others' emotions, just on account of usually being paranoid about them.

Was an interesting test, in any case. I think the results would be more telling if there were an extended version, or perhaps if we could see a more detailed breakdown of results, such as accuracy in analyzing male vs. female expressions as someone mentioned above.
    The littlest goblin in the Playground.

Adorable avatar by Ink.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

31 here, but that's pretty much what I expected.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

27 (sharing it for sense of duty towards the forum's statistics), and liked to play it.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I think it's marginally difficult to get truly natural expressions of many emotions in any remotely ethical manner.
    More like dead easy. Record people's faces while they're watching an emotional movie, for example. If the movie is sufficiently long, people will effectively forget they're being tested.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    More like dead easy. Record people's faces while they're watching an emotional movie, for example. If the movie is sufficiently long, people will effectively forget they're being tested.
    Maybe. I forget that most people have stronger emotional reactions to media than I do.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

30/36 I'm not sure I was scored correctly however.

How do I know that the people who wrote the test and I have the same definitions for words like aroused and irritated? If we don't have shared definitions then how can we be in agreement or disagreement over what someone is expressing?
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post

They were from magazines. Not sure of veracity.

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    30/36 I'm not sure I was scored correctly however.

How do I know that the people who wrote the test and I have the same definitions for words like aroused and irritated? If we don't have shared definitions then how can we be in agreement or disagreement over what someone is expressing?
    This is a reoccurring issue for you isn't it? :(
    Definitions are descriptive, not prescriptive. The words aren't decided in vacuum; there's a multi decade inertia behind the social context of most of those, based not on what someone arbitrarily decided to an emotion should be, but based on naming an existing, discrete, objective phenomenon. You can trust, at least, that arousal is universal, even if the learned expressions for conveying it are aubjective.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

In any case, it doesn't matter. The single ability to read eyes, without body language or facial expression, is not "social intelligence".

This was not a test to measure social intelligence. It's an experiment. It is a very controlled measuremnt of reading eyes, for a purpose that we do not know.

Back in college, the psychology department would occasionally run experiments, and pay a few dollars to students who took part. I'd occasionally go over to pick up a few bucks for pizza. At the end of each one, they would give us a questionnaire to fill out, and the one question that always appeared was, "What do you think was the purpose of this experiment?" If you correctly identified it, then your results were not used.

[I eventually got where I could usually identify what they were testing, and was told to not come back. Shoulda kept my opinions to myself.]

Whatever they are doing here, it was not measuring social intelligence.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2015-01-26 at 01:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

This is a reoccurring issue for you isn't it? :(
    Definitions are descriptive, not prescriptive. The words aren't decided in vacuum; there's a multi decade inertia behind the social context of most of those, based not on what someone arbitrarily decided to an emotion should be, but based on naming an existing, discrete, objective phenomenon. You can trust, at least, that arousal is universal, even if the learned expressions for conveying it are aubjective.
    Yup I kissed a radioactive werewolf and have since been eternally cursed with uncertainty.

Definitions are descriptive but we are each using them to define different sets of, in this case, phenomenal expressions of mental states.

A mental state that one might describe as aroused might be described otherwise by another.

Say a man has a certan look on his face, say that he was genuinely expressing how he felt through his facial expressions and say that when he was observed all the observers describe him as looking aroused.

In his mind, however, he does not feel aroused. He feels excited. When he looks in the mirror, he identifies his genuinely-produced facial expression he identifies it as one of excitement.

The man and his observers have different definitions for the same physical phenomenal representation of a mental state.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I got 31/36, which is something like 90th percentile. This is more than a little surprising because I have really, really bad social phobia.
    I also got exactly 31/36, which is a surprising result, because I wouldn't consider myself to have particularly high social intelligence, least of all when it comes to reading expressions. I thought some of the choices were weird because there were a few types of emotions that I wasn't sure how I'd be able to tell from just the eyes, so I avoided whole categories of words entirely but still did OK.

I still think I'm worse at reading people in practice than the test would suggest. I think part of it is just purely down to visual acuity. I'm a little nearsighted and don't wear glasses, so I'd have to be standing right in front of someone to see them as clearly as in this experiment, which is rarely the case, and is much more likely to be the case with only a limited subset of the possible emotions. I'd also have to be staring at them dead on for several seconds to be comparable to this experiment, which again usually not the case, and when it is it is for a more limited range of emotions. Also, there is an element of meta-reasoning whenever multiple choice questions are involved, which is general intelligence and not social intelligence. Often it's obviously not two or even three of the options, so you can tell what it is by process of elimination, but if you had to fill in the blanks you'd be much less accurate. Reading someone's emotions from their facial expressions is harder in daily life than this experiment would suggest.
    Last edited by Errata; 2015-01-26 at 03:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

27 — and yet I am excellent at reading real people
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Mm. I feel you're borrowing trouble. It doesn't matter if the guy doesn't recognize his arrousal response as arrousal. That's what it is. There's a certain amount of removing subjectivity necessary for conversation, and while I know you feel the lack of utter, complete objectivity is bad, that doesn't mean everything is subjective forever. There's a middle ground. Coming to the understanding necessary to communicate isn't that bad. It's not different than recognizing Chinese and English as separate languages. Maybe you need to calibrate per group, sure. But that isn't a problem. It's possible to have different calibrations per group just like it's possible to switch from Chinese to English based on target audience.