New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Can Elan have a 'happy ending' without Haley?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I truly believe that Elan and Haley will not end this comic together. In fact, I think it is becoming increasingly clear that Haley and Bandanna will end up together, for better or worse.

There's one problem, though: The Oracle said that yes, Elan would have a happy ending.

Can Elan have a happy ending without Haley by his side?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Can Elan have a 'happy ending' without Haley?

Youre pitting a relationship of hundreds of strips against what is by all appearances a casual friendship that's lasted like 25 strips? You might as well argue that Elan is still going to end up with Therkla. At the very least, Haley and Elan are main characters, while its unlikely Bandana is going to actively participate much past this particular arc.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Youre pitting a relationship of hundreds of strips against what is by all appearances a casual friendship that's lasted like 25 strips? You might as well argue that Elan is still going to end up with Therkla. At the very least, Haley and Elan are main characters, while its unlikely Bandana is going to actively participate much past this particular arc.
    I'm not really seeing a 'casual friendship' being in their future. There's simply too much mention of sexuality, past relationships, etc- and on a meta level, the Giant has made it very, very clear in the forums that Haley's bisexuality is a real and serious part of her character. I also beleive that the Giant is planning on making Bandanna a character on the level of Hinjo/O-chul as far as frequency of appearance.

Regardless, I think it's fair to discuss the possible implications of Haley entering into a relationship with someone besides Elan.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I'm not really seeing a 'casual friendship' being in their future. There's simply too much mention of sexuality, past relationships, etc- and on a meta level, the Giant has made it very, very clear in the forums that Haley's bisexuality is a real and serious part of her character. I also beleive that the Giant is planning on making Bandanna a character on the level of Hinjo/O-chul as far as frequency of appearance.

Regardless, I think it's fair to discuss the possible implications of Haley entering into a relationship with someone besides Elan.
    Too much... There was one line! If what Haley has done with Bandana so far is enough, you must have seriously suspected her of being in a relationship with every member of the order by now.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

There's simply too much mention of sexuality
    Bringing up sexuality twice means they're going to be in a relationship?

the Giant has made it very, very clear in the forums that Haley's bisexuality is a real and serious part of her character.
    Bisexuals are attracted to men and women. Saying "she's bisexual, therefore she must end up with a woman" makes just as much sense as "she's bisexual, therefore she must end up with a man"
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-01-25 at 04:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I find it beyond unlikely that Haley will, at this point, abandon her romantic relationship with Elan to begin one with Bandana. While it is quite clear that Bandana and Haley have many things in common and are developing a friendship, I doubt their relationship will be romantic in nature.

As far the second part of your post, I think Elan's prophecy indicates that the Order will succeed and most of its members will survive. Haley is definitely likely to be one of them.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Bringing up sexuality twice means they're going to be in a relationship?

Bisexuals are attracted to men and women. Saying "she's bisexual, therefore she must end up with a woman" makes just as much sense as "she's bisexual, therefore she must end up with a man"
    Two mentions of their shared sexuality in 20 strips -along with meta comments? I also think Bandanna has a clear concern for Haley's welfare, perhaps on a friendly level, perhaps on a attraction level, as evidenced by her sacrificing her own body by pushing Haley out of the way.

I think it's too big of a coincidence that the Giant makes it explicitly clear that she is not straight right around the time a gay character was introduced. If she was simply going to stay with Elan, it would have been just as easy to leave it as a throw away joke 500 strips ago that the fanbase could talk about in threads like this. Law of conservation of detail.

Also, kinda confused as to why I am getting so much hate on this? This is what a large portion of the fanbase wants. This has been heavily discussed by a large portion of the fanbase. The Giant has made it clear that he wants to be more inclusive. It's not outside the realm of possibility, and shouldn't be dismissed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

No, I definitely think you're getting your hopes up too high here. Haley and Elan are endgame. Their relationship is very strong. During their separation, they were faithful to each other.

I hope that Bandana is here to stay. But that doesn't mean she's going to have a relationship with Haley. Neither O-Chul nor Hinjo have romantic relationships with anyone in the main six.

In the sense of sharing about past relationships and talking about sex, I think that's part of what Bandana's character is there for. If the Giant wanted to highlight a part of Haley's character that had so far not been highlighted--her bisexuality--having her befriend an openly queer character is a great way to do that. Having her fall in love with a woman--well, that would also be a great way to do that, but it's not the only way, and I really, really think you're reading too much into it if you think that's what Bandana is here for.

For it to happen, we'd have to see not just a bond with Bandana, but also some serious problems in Haley's relationship with Elan. Have you seen any of those?
    Last edited by Takver; 2015-01-25 at 04:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Some of these speculations really need a "Take it to Fanfic" tag.
    "Conan what is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, to sell them inexpensive furniture you can assemble yourself with an Allen wrench. And meatballs."
    "Meatballs. That is good!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quixotess View Post

For it to happen, we'd have to see not just a bond with Bandana, but also some serious problems in Haley's relationship with Elan. Have you seen any of those?
    What if Bandanna is that 'serious problem'? Elan has been useless this fight while Bandanna is protecting Haley. Elan is still ditzy and kinda childish while Bandanna is mature, new, and exciting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So ignoring the why of the question, the answer to the original poster's question is probably yes. Elan wasn't unhappy before he met Haley, and while he would be hurt by them not being together he would survive it. Heck, he is one Speak with Dead and a Resurrection away from another girlfriend, even if he doesn't just find someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What if Bandanna is that 'serious problem'? Elan has been useless this fight while Bandanna is protecting Haley. Elan is still ditzy and kinda childish while Bandanna is mature, new, and exciting.
    For starters, Elan being ditzy and childish is one of the things that Haley likes about him. Furthermore, this is the same person who, during the last major battle, sang "Rub rub rub rub my uselessness in my father's face." Elan has absolutely no problems with not being the most effective participant in a fight, and Haley knows this.

It would take a serious contrivance to separate them at this point due to unresolved issues, simple because of the sheer number of things they have done.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

For starters, Elan being ditzy and childish is one of the things that Haley likes about him. Furthermore, this is the same person who, during the last major battle, sang "Rub rub rub rub my uselessness in my father's face." Elan has absolutely no problems with not being the most effective participant in a fight, and Haley knows this.

It would take a serious contrivance to separate them at this point due to unresolved issues, simple because of the sheer number of things they have done.
    I agree with you, but I find it a little to convenient to all of a sudden, introduce a gay character, suddenly make Haley socially conscious, and go into detail on the forums squashing all speculation and stating outright, yes, she is bi, and yes, it's an important part of her character. Too much is coming together all at once for SOMETHING to not be on the horizon.

You talk about it being contrived as if we haven't seen some forced, hamhanded, contrived stuff in this comic before...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I agree with you, but I find it a little to convenient to all of a sudden, introduce a gay character, suddenly make Haley socially conscious, and go into detail on the forums squashing all speculation and stating outright, yes, she is bi, and yes, it's an important part of her character. Too much is coming together all at once for SOMETHING to not be on the horizon.

You talk about it being contrived as if we haven't seen some forced, hamhanded, contrived stuff in this comic before...
    Its not like the Giant made a point of opening the thread with 'yes, Haley is Bi." People were already talking about it when he contributed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Its not like the Giant made a point of opening the thread with 'yes, Haley is Bi." People were already talking about it when he contributed.
    And he could have easily left it at that, with one group saying the latent bisexuality was a joke and another saying it was evidence of a real part of her character, just as he has left all the V's gender speculation alone... Instead, as he has done on other issues he want cleared up/felt strongly about/was going to explore later, he made it extremely clear. Like I said, too convenient.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And he could have easily left it at that, with one group saying the latent bisexuality was a joke and another saying it was evidence of a real part of her character, just as he has left all the V's gender speculation alone... Instead, as he has done on other issues he want cleared up/felt strongly about/was going to explore later, he made it extremely clear. Like I said, too convenient.
    Eh. I think youre seeing what you want to see here. Besides, the Giant has already come out and said that Bandana's sexuality is not part of the plot. Creating a strained relationship between two characters would certainly affect the plot.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2015-01-25 at 05:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Also, kinda confused as to why I am getting so much hate on this? This is what a large portion of the fanbase wants. This has been heavily discussed by a large portion of the fanbase. The Giant has made it clear that he wants to be more inclusive. It's not outside the realm of possibility, and shouldn't be dismissed.
    Well, I don't hate you or what you're saying, I just think you're wrong and thinking wishfully. Sort of like being a Harry/Hermione shipper. Could be good, but it's just not gonna happen, no matter how much "a large portion of the fanbase" wants it.

The most I think that could happen is that Haley realizes she is attracted to Bandana, but ultimately her relationship with Elan matters too much to her to ever act on it. Frank and honest conversations ensue all around.

Edit: Which could easily be your "SOMETHING on the horizon" to explain why the Giant emphasized that Haley's sexuality is not a joke. Though TBH I'm pretty sure that "feeling irritated that my readers think bisexuality is a joke" would be a good enough reason for him to emphasize it.
    Last edited by Takver; 2015-01-25 at 05:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

@seeker
    Are you doing this to be facetious?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-01-25 at 08:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Douglas; 2015-01-26 at 02:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

With the direction the comic has been going on I am truly beginning to think this is in our future and we need to begin to consider this.
    Why do we need to begin to consider this? Suppose, for the sake of argument, we conclude it is practically certain; how does that change what we do as an audience?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Why do we need to begin to consider this? Suppose, for the sake of argument, we conclude it is practically certain; how does that change what we do as an audience?
    Nothing, though the Giant has been known to cave to his fanbase. It's just interesting to consider in the same way it is interesting to think about possible killers in a murder mystery.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I truly believe that Elan and Haley will not end this comic together. In fact, I think it is becoming increasingly clear that Haley and Bandanna will end up together, for better or worse.

There's one problem, though: The Oracle said that yes, Elan would have a happy ending.

Can Elan have a happy ending without Haley by his side?
    ... You know, this both answers and raises so many questions.

Wait, are we the fanbase trying to break up Elan and Haley? Stop that fanbase! Bad fanbase!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-01-25 at 08:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. Say Bandana was a guy. Let's also say Crystal was a guy. Basically the only dialogue change necessary would be referring to Crystal as "old boyfriend", and "taste in guys". If that was the case, would you be so adamant that this was the new One True Pairing?
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-01-25 at 06:14 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Okay. Say Bandana was a guy. Let's also say Crystal was a guy. Basically the only dialogue change necessary would be referring to Crystal as "old boyfriend", and "taste in guys". If that was the case, would you be so adamant that this was the new One True Pairing?
    I would definitely be suspicious, based on the amount of time they are spending together and various other comments. However, this is removing one of the most important factors: The Giant's comments.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I would definitely be suspicious, based on the amount of time they are spending together and various other comments. However, this is removing one of the most important factors: The Giant's comments.
    What exactly about the amount of time theyre spending together strikes you as strange? Bandana is the first (clearly) female friend she has had in a long while, and the most they've interacted so far is having a chat and walking together.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

...You mean on Twitter? Where he says that people shouldn't be surprised that bisexuals exist?

I have enough faith in The Giant to believe he won't break off an important relationship between two of the main cast because "well Haley's latently bisexual and this other girl is a lesbian".

We'll have to see if Haley breathes fire though.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-01-25 at 06:22 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    ...You mean on Twitter? Where he says that people shouldn't be surprised that bisexuals exist?

I have enough faith in The Giant to believe he won't break off an important relationship between two of the main cast because "well Haley's latently bisexual and this other girl is a lesbian".

We'll have to see if Haley breathes fire though.
    No, I meant the many, MANY comments he's made coming out apologizing for his writing and supporting further inclusiveness, including the very strong assertions that yes, Haley is bi. Too many things are coming together for it to be a coincidence.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing, though the Giant has been known to cave to his fanbase.
    I've never seen him do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.