New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Knave (Simple T3 Project)

Continuing my attempts to make simple-but-useful classes, here's a rogue-like. You could even consider it a rogue replacement, although it's meant to complement my Rogue-Factotum merger class. Thematically, it's supposed to be more of an aggressive, martial class than the original rogue. When trouble comes a-calling, he doesn't get stealthy; he gets scary. In combat, he can intimidate folks or bounce around the battlefield and stab them; out of combat, he's got a good skill list, the Charisma to be a face, and a couple abilities to back that up.

Knave

Alignment: Any.
    Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: The Knave’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) ×4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +0 +0 +2 +0 Street Smart, Backstab +1d4, Trapfinding
    2nd +1 +0 +3 +0 Evasion, Dabbler
    3rd +2 +1 +3 +1 Rapid Fright, Thief-Acrobat
    4th +3 +1 +4 +1 Bonus Feat, Backstab +2d4
    5th +3 +1 +4 +1 Combat Acrobatics, Never Outnumbered
    6th +4 +2 +5 +2 Lingering Fear
    7th +5 +2 +5 +2 Backstab +3d4
    8th +6/+1 +2 +6 +2 Dilettante, Bonus Feat
    9th +6/+1 +3 +6 +3 Master of Fear
    10th +7/+2 +3 +7 +3 Acrobatic Scramble, Backstab +4d4
    11th +8/+3 +3 +7 +3 Improved Evasion
    12th +9/+4 +4 +8 +4 Frightful Presence, Bonus Feat
    13th +9/+4 +4 +8 +4 Slippery Mind, Backstab +5d4
    14th +10/+5 +4 +9 +4 Jack of all Trades
    15th +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +5 Mass Hysteria, Reactive Scramble
    16th +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Bonus Feat , Backstab +6d4
    17th +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Unstoppable
    18th +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +6 Paralyzing Fear
    19th +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +6 Backstab +7d4
    20th +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +6 Acrobatic Dodge, Bonus Feat

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Knaves are proficient with all simple weapons, light and one-handed martial weapons, and the hand crossbow and whip. Knaves are proficient with light armor and bucklers.

Street Smart (Ex): A Knave knows a thing or two about a thing or two. He may add his Knave level to Gather Information and Knowledge (Local) checks.

Backstab (Ex): When attacking a target from behind, a Knave’s melee attacks deal an additional 1d4 damage. This damage increases by 1d4 every third level, and is not multiplied by a critical hit. He can be considered behind a foe when:
    • The target is flanked.
    • The Knave succeeds on a Tumble check to move through an area occupied by an enemy by a margin of success equal to or greater than the enemy's Reflex save.
    • The target is denied their Dexterity bonus to AC.

This ability counts as Sneak Attack for the purpose of feats, prestige classes, and so on. Abilities which benefit Sneak Attack, such as Ambush feats, also benefit Backstab, but Backstab is not subject to the normal restrictions on what targets are vulnerable to Sneak Attacks.

Trapfinding (Ex): As the Rogue ability.

Dabbler (Ex): A Knave has more talents than most would thing. Beginning at 2nd level, when making skill checks, he may use one-half his Knave level (rounded down) or his actual number of skill ranks, whichever is higher. He may make trained-only skill checks untrained.

Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, a Knave can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Knave is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Knave does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Rapid Fright (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a Knave may demoralize foes as a swift action. In addition, he may demoralize targets up to feet per two Knave levels away.

Thief-Acrobat (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a Knave may use Dexterity in place of Strength for all skill checks, ability checks, and ability-based checks. This includes melee attacks, and checks made during combat maneuvers such as trip and disarm attempts.

Bonus Feat (Ex): At 4th level, and each additional 4th level, a Knave gains one bonus feat. This feat must be either Skill Focus, an Ambush feat, or a Fighter bonus feat.

Combat Acrobatics (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, a Knave gains the ability to move between each attack during a full attack. He may divide up this movement any way he wants, so long as the total distance moved is less than five feet per two Knave levels.

Beginning at 10th level, a Knave may take this movement as though he was using his Acrobatic Scramble ability; however, doing so reduces the total distance he can move to five feet per three Knave levels.

Lingering Fear (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, when a Knave intimidates a target, the effect lasts for 24 hours after his departure. Afterwards, the target’s attitude towards the Knave shifts to unfriendly, as normal, but he takes a -4 penalty to his level check to resist further intimidation checks from the same Knave.

Never Outnumbered: At 6th level, a Knave gains the Never Outnumbered skill trick.

Dilettante (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a Knave may make a skill check as though he had a number of ranks in the skill equal to his Knave level+3. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier. In addition, he may use his Charisma modifier in place of his Intelligence or Wisdom modifier when making skill checks.

Master of Fear (Ex): Beginning at 9th level, a Knave may demoralize, intimidate, and otherwise frighten even targets normally immune to fear, such as mindless undead and paladins. In addition, fear conditions he inflict via demoralization stack

Acrobatic Scramble (Ex): Beginning at 10th level, as a move action, a Knave may move up to two-thirds his normal land speed. Unlike a normal move action, this movement may be taken in any direction, including vertically, and along any surface— he may run, jump, bounce off walls, swing along projections, scramble up walls, and so on. He does not need to make any skill checks during this movement.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 11nd level, a Knave’s evasive abilities improve. While he still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Beginning at 12th level, a Knave gains a Frightful Presence. Whenever he performs some sort of dramatic action (such as charging, attacking, or taunting), opponents within 5 feet per two Knave levels must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ Knave level + Charisma modifier) or become shaken for 1 minute. Opponents with half as many hit die as he has Knave levels or less are instead frightened on a failed save. An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to his Frightful Presence for 24 hours.

Slippery Mind (Ex): Beginning at 13th level, if a Knave is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he may attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. This ability may only be used once per casting of any given effect.

Master of All Trades (Ex): Beginning at 14th level, making skill checks, a Knave may use his Knave level (rounded down) or his actual number of skill ranks, whichever is higher. In addition, he gains a bonus to all skill checks and ability checks equal to his Charisma modifier.

Reactive Scramble (Ex): Beginning at 15th level, a Knave may use Acrobatic Scramble as an immediate action.

Mass Hysteria (Ex): Beginning at 15th level, a Knave may attempt to demoralize all enemies who can see or hear him as a move action.

Unstoppable (Ex): Beginning at 17th, a Knave may be considered to be permanently under the effects of a Freedom of Movement spell. In addition, he may move across any surface as though it was flat, solid ground— difficult terrain, walls, water, cobwebs, and more.

Paralyzing Fear (Ex): Beginning at 18th level, whenever a Knave cases a target to become Frightened or Panicked, that target must make an additional Will save (DC 10 + ½ Knave level + Charisma modifier). If they fail, they are paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.

Acrobatic Dodge (Ex): Beginning at 20th level, a Knave may automatically dodge one attack per round, as though he had rolled a natural 20 on a Reflex save, or his foe had rolled a 1 on his attack roll.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2015-01-28 at 10:37 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Knave (Simple T3 Project)

Hello! ARE you looking for feedback? It does not say, but then, most people are, or at least will pretend they are if asked. In my defense though, I do not actually have any opinions, just some proofreading.

First, rapid fright says "up to feet". Presumably 5 feet, I guess? I am on a mobile though so it may also be that, maybe.
    Second, rapid fright again, it does not say whether your streetsmart bonus would apply to intimidate checks made in place of gather information checks. Maybe it is just that I just finished reading all the dysfunction threads back to back to back a couple days ago, but I really think it should say either way.
    And last, combat acrobatics does not say if you are or are not limited to your normal movement limit. Again, maybe I am just on a rulesy mood, but expliciting it cannot possibly hurt, right?

And that was that. Hope you like it!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The skillmonkey things feel kind of out of place. This class pretty much boils down to stabbing, scaring, and jumping around at every level after 2, so it's weird to see the skill bonuses and skill rank substitution at level 2, but then no support for those kinds of abilities at higher levels. It's not particularly bad; I can see the reasoning for it, but it doesn't jive with me.

Also, this class is locked pretty tightly into very few tactics. Players need to focus on multiple attacks, fear stacking, and some mobility and don't get a lot of room to pick up other things without gimping themselves (like picking up skill focus feats, HAHA).

Lastly, the class feels pretty overloaded at low levels. It gets better stuff than the rogue in terms of hit die, class features, and proficiencies, in exchange for just 2 fewer skills known.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I think that's the idea. It's supposed to be a simpler class to ease new players into the game, while not being as low-power as the Rogue, Fighter, etc etc.

I really enjoy the concept, because I'm a guy who really likes optimizing, in a group where few do. These classes would be perfect for them to just pick up and play, while I get to fiddle with something a lot more technical.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theUnearther View Post
    First, rapid fright says "up to feet". Presumably 5 feet, I guess? I am on a mobile though so it may also be that, maybe.
    Nope, I typo'd, thanks.
    Second, rapid fright again, it does not say whether your streetsmart bonus would apply to intimidate checks made in place of gather information checks. Maybe it is just that I just finished reading all the dysfunction threads back to back to back a couple days ago, but I really think it should say either way.
    Looking at it in the morning, I'm just going to toss that part. It's not really necessary with the high Cha and Streetsmart bonus.
    And last, combat acrobatics does not say if you are or are not limited to your normal movement limit. Again, maybe I am just on a rulesy mood, but expliciting it cannot possibly hurt, right?
    It's limited to the distance the ability specifies. It's not part of your normal movement for the round, so it doesn't count against it. I thought the text was pretty clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    The skillmonkey things feel kind of out of place. This class pretty much boils down to stabbing, scaring, and jumping around at every level after 2, so it's weird to see the skill bonuses and skill rank substitution at level 2, but then no support for those kinds of abilities at higher levels. It's not particularly bad; I can see the reasoning for it, but it doesn't jive with me.
    Hmm, yeah, now that you mention it, I probably should give him a bit more in that department.

Also, this class is locked pretty tightly into very few tactics. Players need to focus on multiple attacks, fear stacking, and some mobility and don't get a lot of room to pick up other things without gimping themselves (like picking up skill focus feats, HAHA).
    Quote Originally Posted by Occidental View Post
    I think that's the idea. It's supposed to be a simpler class to ease new players into the game, while not being as low-power as the Rogue, Fighter, etc etc.
    Correct. It's supposed to have a high enough floor to stand up next to a crusader, factotum, or dread necromancer-- played with practical optimization-- and still be useful right out of the box. It's supposed to have a clear role, without needing much in the way of outside support.

Lastly, the class feels pretty overloaded at low levels. It gets better stuff than the rogue in terms of hit die, class features, and proficiencies, in exchange for just 2 fewer skills known.
    I agree, except that the Rogue isn't what I'm balancing against. As I mentioned in the OP, this is meant to either replace the rogue as written, or serve alongside a revision like mine that gives the rogue his own set of stuff. Compare it to the Factotum or Beguiler instead.

I really enjoy the concept, because I'm a guy who really likes optimizing, in a group where few do. These classes would be perfect for them to just pick up and play, while I get to fiddle with something a lot more technical.[/QUOTE]
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Update: Fiddled with Backstab, and added some more skillmonkey-supporting abilities.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show