The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road 3 (OOC)

I don't think Crown has any more questions, but I'll give it a little longer to ponder.

He definitely has a send-off in mind, surprising nopony.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp, I'll pause for Dive Bomb, Crown or Grease to put a full stop into this RP, before wrapping it up with one last post.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Up up and away then!

Wonder where OTS is …
    Uh, hey...

Yeah, sorry I've been incommunicado for the last couple months. Kinda the same deal it's been for the last year or so. Check up on the thread, try to leave an update, not satisfied with what I think of, leave it for later, get too nervous thinking of what I might have missed, fail to check up again for another month. Doesn't help that I don't visit the forums as much as I used to.

Well, I'll go over to the main thread and leave my final post. It really has been fun playing with you guys! I'll certainly remember my longest running game for a long time.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Uh, hey...

Yeah, sorry I've been incommunicado for the last couple months. Kinda the same deal it's been for the last year or so. Check up on the thread, try to leave an update, not satisfied with what I think of, leave it for later, get too nervous thinking of what I might have missed, fail to check up again for another month. Doesn't help that I don't visit the forums as much as I used to.

Well, I'll go over to the main thread and leave my final post. It really has been fun playing with you guys! I'll certainly remember my longest running game for a long time.
    No worries mate. I definitely know that feeling!

You've kept coming back, and kept the RP moving and that really counts. Glad to have you with us at the close

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

And, well … that's it!

I really am having trouble finding the words to express my gratitude and bittersweet happiness at this moment. The RP that we started back in October of 2012(!) has finally drawn to its end.

And, to be sure, it's not its final end, but a fitting point to leave, I feel, the stories of these amazing characters.

Thank you all so much for being a part of this, and a part of my life, for all these years.

I don't know what will come next. I'm planning to drop a few more tidbits into the OOC chat here, ideas that were in place, but never quite got shown. Maybe you can all let me know what you think your character's arcs will do next. Vignettes and short stories, sort of stuff, if you feel up to it sometime.

Or maybe we just leave them as they are. Riding off into the proverbial sunrise.

In any case, it's rare for an RP of this length to actually finish. But this one has. And, thank you all again for seeing it through.

I've got a text-free version of the ending card here too, which I'll edit into this post shortly. (Edit: Done!)

Spoiler: The End!
    Show

Spoiler: The End (word free)
    Show

6. - Top - End - #576

oh my gosh there's ART

I'm going to have fond memories of this roleplay for years to come. Dive Bomb grew a lot, and I think I did as well. Thank you for so many years of fun times together.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeppers! I commissioned the piece in time for Christmas, thinking that's when we'd wrap up haha!

It's come a long way from the opening scenes though!

Spoiler: The Title Splash - Back in 2013
    Show

Spoiler: Word-free version
    Show

As the first of my post-game tidbits, I'll leave you guys with a riddle.

You met a few spirits during your time - Satin Tine, El'Woden, Vereia Freewing (Often mispronounced as Freya), Tiu (who in actuality, was the magic-hat Pegasus whose full name was Tune Up), Thoraxis. They also spoke of two more friends "Sel" and "Maria" but ignore them for now.

Think on those first few names.

• ???
    • Tiu
    • El'Woden
    • Thoraxis
    • Freya
    • Satin Tine
    • ???

Think on the order I just placed them in. The first riddle - can anyone guess what the significance of their names is?

Bonus points - can anyone guess who Sel and Maria really are?

I admit, this was one riddle I had hoped to build out more on in the rest of the story - so I don't know if the above is enough to land the answer … so there's a bonus clue below.

Spoiler: Bonus Clue
    Show
    Look at your calendar

8. - Top - End - #578

Norse gods. Woden=Odin, Vereia=Freya, Thoraxis=Thor... And given that Sel and Maria fit the spots for Sunday and Moonday, I'm gong to guess that Sel=Sol=Celestia, which leaves Luna as Maria.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

9. - Top - End - #579

And, well … that's it!

I really am having trouble finding the words to express my gratitude and bittersweet happiness at this moment. The RP that we started back in October of 2012(!) has finally drawn to its end.

And, to be sure, it's not its final end, but a fitting point to leave, I feel, the stories of these amazing characters.

Thank you all so much for being a part of this, and a part of my life, for all these years.

I don't know what will come next. I'm planning to drop a few more tidbits into the OOC chat here, ideas that were in place, but never quite got shown. Maybe you can all let me know what you think your character's arcs will do next. Vignettes and short stories, sort of stuff, if you feel up to it sometime.

Or maybe we just leave them as they are. Riding off into the proverbial sunrise.

In any case, it's rare for an RP of this length to actually finish. But this one has. And, thank you all again for seeing it through.

I've got a text-free version of the ending card here too, which I'll edit into this post shortly. (Edit: Done!)

Spoiler: The End!
    Show

Spoiler: The End (word free)
    Show
    It's been nearly a week, and I'm still having trouble getting emotions in order. Good emotion, but a messy pile of them all the same.

One thing I am sure of? I don't think we could've asked for a better ending to the campaign. You were right in that the initial plans would've been great for an IRL campaign, but not so much for the pace of PBP, and normally that'd mean we'd have to cobble together an ending wherever we could. Instead of that? We get to see our characters ride off into the literal sunset, aboard their brand-new airship, ready to tackle whatever adventure comes their way. I'd say that makes for a pretty darn good ending.

Crown Cork is always going to live on in my head and heart as one of my favorite characters I've made, and not only because of this massive campaign. I made him at a time in my life when I was wrestling with the question of whether to more seriously pursue computer science vs. game design. More than which one I wanted to pursue, which path I ought to pursue? There were arguments of responsibility either way, along with a heaping helping of creative drive, and that conflict is what helped me play and enjoy this overdramatic little pony. Maybe someday, he can help others going through similar struggles. Maybe he can help them find Integrity.

That'd be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Norse gods. Woden=Odin, Vereia=Freya, Thoraxis=Thor... And given that Sel and Maria fit the spots for Sunday and Moonday, I'm gong to guess that Sel=Sol=Celestia, which leaves Luna as Maria.
    Oh snapplejacks, I'd only gotten as far as the days of the week, but I cast my vote for this theory.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-02-09 at 02:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    In the words of Pinkie Pie

Yes, that's absolutely correct (I guess I underestimated your problem solving skills! ).

The background fluff I had basically had all seven of them as friends in the pre-Discord era. Never really settled on the exact details - but roughly each was a paragon of an Element. Whether they forged them, or just coalesced them through their actions, not sure.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

Next tidbit: Speaking of elements - each of the Spirits above, as well as the two sisters, were meant to have embodied a particular element.

Not only that, but as part of the stat-ing up, each of your NPC companions had a full stat sheet, including guiding elements and key stats. My philosophy when putting together the crew was to use them as tools to back up the party whenever things happened that you weren't necessarily aligned to your own stats. My guiding rule was: never let them do something unless the party asks them to handle something.

Rinda, unsurprisingly, was statted up with Body as her main talent area - meant to be your backup "muscle" if needed. Fighter, aerobatics that sort of stuff. Her guiding element was, unsurprisingly, Loyalty. Loyal to the state, Loyal to her friends. Loyal to her sister. (in more or less that order). However, once Soot rescued her, she started shifting more towards Kindness as well.

The Ambassador - full name Ambassador Garim Highwind of Talos - he was an interesting one. I don't know if anyone picked it, but his guiding element was Laughter. He manifested it by always telling stories to try to pick up the spirits of the party - the tale of the Basilisk was a good example, helping you all forget the hardship of the desert for a while. The flipside of this though, was that he was always keeping up a façade of bravado, despite being deeply conscious that he was getting old, frail, and was never near as brave as his stories made himself out to be. His strongest talent area was Heart, with negotiation and schmoozing as areas where he was particularly good at.

Igneous "Iggy" Bluffs - a GMPC if there ever was one, so I hope he didn't come across too strongly as this during the course of the campaign. His guiding element was … well … can anyone guess?

Next tidbit - planned character "arcs" and powerups, including for the PCs.

12. - Top - End - #582

The Ambassador - full name Ambassador Garim Highwind of Talos - he was an interesting one. I don't know if anyone picked it, but his guiding element was Laughter. He manifested it by always telling stories to try to pick up the spirits of the party - the tale of the Basilisk was a good example, helping you all forget the hardship of the desert for a while. The flipside of this though, was that he was always keeping up a façade of bravado, despite being deeply conscious that he was getting old, frail, and was never near as brave as his stories made himself out to be. His strongest talent area was Heart, with negotiation and schmoozing as areas where he was particularly good at.
    Interesting...my best guess for the Ambassador had actually been a sort of fallen Magic. In his prime, perhaps he had been a true believer in the power of friendship and the ability of the whole to be stronger than the sum of its parts, but in the present he'd grown up to be a cowardly politician, always looking for the best and biggest side to join with. Especially with how he (seemed) to betray the party in favor of Aegis' phenomenal cosmic power. And not-so-itty-bitty living space.

Igneous "Iggy" Bluffs - a GMPC if there ever was one, so I hope he didn't come across too strongly as this during the course of the campaign. His guiding element was … well … can anyone guess?
    Iggy is a good pony, deserving of good things. Like maybe a job that better fits his styles and temperament.

As for his element? Hrmmmm, that's a toughie. He did seem pretty magical, and devoted to the team, so maybe he was Magic?

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Iggy is a good pony, deserving of good things. Like maybe a job that better fits his styles and temperament.

As for his element? Hrmmmm, that's a toughie. He did seem pretty magical, and devoted to the team, so maybe he was Magic?
    A bit of thread resurrection - but I did want to close off by saying "correct"! Iggy's element was indeed magic.

As for your other comment about his job:

Spoiler: Final tidbit?
    Show
    His real job is as a spy/special agent for Celestia, undercover as a guard. The idiot persona? It's only partly born of his real personality, the rest of it is … a Bluff

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit of thread resurrection - but I did want to close off by saying "correct"! Iggy's element was indeed magic.

As for your other comment about his job:

Show
    His real job is as a spy/special agent for Celestia, undercover as a guard. The idiot persona? It's only partly born of his real personality, the rest of it is … a Bluff
    Spoiler: Final tidbit response
    Show
    That's excellent. Did you have a plan for revealing that to us, or was it just going to be a "if it comes up it comes up"?
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Spoiler: Final tidbit response
    Show
    That's excellent. Did you have a plan for revealing that to us, or was it just going to be a "if it comes up it comes up"?
    Spoiler: Final tidbit response to response
    Show
    Insomuch as anything was planned for the mid-game, I did have a vague scene in mind for after you all got back to Canterlot that would be the "reveal".

It would go along the lines of: Having been invited to see Celestia upon returning, you'd arrive at the Day Court whilst she was receiving the final reports of the day from her ministers, including a pony in a black cloak who would tell her about what's happening in the wider world: That the Griffon kingdoms are stabilising, that the Deer and Camels will soon negotiate a peace treaty, that the Zebra tribes are holding their annual migration without incident and that mercenary activities and banditry are on the decline.

Once the reports are all done, Celestia would dismiss the court and guards to talk to you in private about your trip, which would be kicked off by Iggy providing his report on the wider world and basically correcting everything that was just reported publicly; most of which you would have already known was incorrect from your travels but coupled with a number of insights that you might only have brushed over.

If asked, Iggy would cheerfully identify the other pony as Cloak and Dagger, Celestia's "Spymaster", who is really just a public smokescreen for her more clandestine group of agents.

That said, there was every chance you'd tip his cover ahead of that scene. I mean, his interactions with Crown in the Sanctum dreamscape were decidedly less "idiotic" on purpose. Being trapped indefinitely there was bad enough to risk him breaking cover.

16. - Top - End - #586

Show
    Spoiler: Response to the Final(?) Tidbit
    Show
    Oh snaps! I had noticed that he was pretty good at his job when the chips were down, so I had just chalked that up as "a kind-hearted goofball who can be a bit bumbly, but is still a Royal Guard and will do his job when the time comes."

There's a grain of truth to that, if you ignore the part where I missed his true job.