New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Lords of Creation in the Playground (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Lawyer View Post
    Surtur
    "We are not now prepared, but we will be. By the skills of our hands, the cunning of our minds, and the fire of our souls, we will be ready when the time comes."

"Indeed you shall. But there is something more within you that you can call upon besides your hands, mind and soul. I offer to teach you and your Kin how to unlock the power of your bloodline. Would you allow me to demonstrate of the power that resides within you all?"
    "Do not anger a bard...for you are silly, and would make for a funny song."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Zalsaram

Water. An ocean shaped all over his underside, Zalsaram could feel his eyelids covered in a flood, the glare of the Cosmic Mother's suns no longer forcing them shut.

A ring of the viridian infernos opened at the rim of the undersea, mist rising where The World's Glare boiled the sea from beneath.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    2 AP
    1 Artifact Charge from the Heart of Zalsaram.

Artifact: Mold Land - The Mist Sea: A region of boiling hot water lit from beneath by a wavering green light, covered in thick mists and home to no mundane wildlife.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Zalsaram's Underside

Thus did the gods expand their influences in places that none would ever have imagined. This "Underplayground" as the Dragons would call it resembled the Playground in many ways, however while on the Playground Oussia gave its warm light, Phos was high in the Underplayground's sky, giving its baleful and harsh light. Thus when the Playground enjoyed Summer, the Underplayground would suffer through the harsh winters, and visa verse.

Spoiler
    Show

Use Phos' Artifact Charge: Pestilence: Its now Winter in the Underplayground.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Temple

"These Gensai don't seem to be noticing us."

"I think they're just being polite. Or they're assuming the one with the two and a half foot tall talking bird on his shoulder has a reason for being up here."

"Do you?"

"Not a one."

Ulric sighed, but perked up as he overheard the conversation held by a small group of gensai. "Huh, I didn't think two-leggers got those..."

"Got what?"

"Well, when I used to sleep, I'd have these images, like when you close your eyes and try to picture something? Except I couldn't control it, and they were almost always dreams of either fighting some featherless good-for-nothing for territory or going down into the sea... that one was actually kindof nice though."

"I see."

He waited until he was out of earshot from the gensai, "That may be related to how I was born."

"... how did pictures I get while I sleep affect your birth?"

Helfarch smiled tightly, "Don't worry about it. Just thinking of a way to pay these people back for their hospitality."

Ulric was thinking of asking more when they came to the balcony. Ulric whistled, "Some view, eh boss?"

"It had a divine architect, I would expect no less."

Ulric hopped to the edge of the balcony enjoying the view while Helfarch continued up the stairs and approached the door outlined by runes. "Interesting!"

Helfarch sounded excited. He set about observing the runes, trying to discern the meaning behind the door. As defenses went, it was certainly effective, could it be that knowledge of the runes was required to advance, ensuring that only those who understood the goddess's ways could enter? Ulric was much more interested in watching the Burning Lands, how a people lived here was beyond him. "Could never get me to live here, that's for damn sure."

Spoiler
    Show
    In case anyone's curious, I envision Ulric as a Golden Eagle
    Gwyn, The First Knight
    Karthull, The Lord of Slaughter, The Master of Death

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shmee View Post

"Indeed you shall. But there is something more within you that you can call upon besides your hands, mind and soul. I offer to teach you and your Kin how to unlock the power of your bloodline. Would you allow me to demonstrate of the power that resides within you all?"
    Surtur looks askance at the dwarf in front of him. Clearly, this being, despite having the form of a dwarf, considers itself something altogether different. "I would gladly receive tutelage. It is in my nature to learn all there is of this world."
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Mind View Post
    Pernieth, Deimos, Eucle - The First Tree

"Show." Pernieth says, and his palms twist upwards, as if to invite the other god to proceed. The massive stone dragon was the closest thing Pernieth had seen to his own height still on the world, though he was not such a fool to believe that size equated power. Still, it would be interesting to see what this newcomer had to offer to a land that held everything Pernieth desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklady2831 View Post

Deimos shifts in his new armour, testing it's mobility and limits. After a few moments, he seems satisfied. He places a hand on the breastplate, power flowing out of it and into the armour. The Dream motes danced about, arranging themselves to perfectly suit Deimos's fighting style and body. The plates seemed to be etched to resemble scales, the gauntlets were like claws, and the sabatons like talons. The helmet, most of all, resembled the head of a dragon, completing the theme the armour had been working towards the whole time. Finally, the motes and metal solidified, glowing softly in the light of the Dream Sun.

A smile creeps across Deimos's face, and he turns to look at Eucle, nodding to him. He folds his arms across his new chestplate, glancing to Pernieth. "I agree with Pernieth. Show us this oblation..." He trailed off, not quite ready to make his final decision on the god. Though to be fair, Eucle had so far made a good impression on the Warrior-God.

Eucle picks the metal sphere that he just spat to the ground. Where Deimos armor cracked it's now filled with gold as a piece of art made with precious metal and broken pottery the thing was more beautiful than it was before. He lets it fall into Pernieth's extended hand, almost a mote in the tree god's palm.

"This. It's small. But can be a seed. A seed for a tree to grow. A tree with a bark as strong as the king of Dust armor and leaves as shar as his blade. It's filled with dreams, dreams of strength and wealth, it will be precious."
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

"Acceptable" Pernieth says as he takes the seed. It was hardly praise, it would seem, but to be fair, it was the highest praise Pernieth had ever given another being not of his creation.

Pernieth lets the seed fall to the ground where, in an instant, vines sprung forth and dragged it beneath the soil. It pulled down until it was within the core of the First Tree. She looked upon it and decided it a worthy gift for her children.

On the surface, a Pernieth nods to an unheard message and, farther still in the mottled grove that was Pernieth's home, deep in its heart in the center of a pond of purest water, the lotus that was the Heart of Nature pulsed once.

Across the playground, those trees that Pernieth claimed as his own, those that spoke and talked and lived and possessed souls grew bark as hard as the hardest dragon scales. Their leaves were blades, capable of absorbing sunlight and cutting flash just as easily, though somehow the birds the rooster among the trees never seemed to suffer the effects. Even the great living ships of the pirate kings saw this change, for so long as they lived, they were, in some part, Pernieth's, even if he did not speak to them as he did the others. Those who honored Pernieth's mandate when cutting down trees would find themselves with the most potent building material on the playground. Those who did not would quickly find themselves torn to ribbons or their tools broken by the very trees they sought to destroy.

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Deimos watches Eucle's gift as Pernieth examines it. He nods as Pernieth accepts it. "And thus the trees became formidable, able to defend themselves." He smirked, bowing his head to Eucle. "You have proven yourself trustworthy, at least for now. Thus I will speak of my plan in your presence." He turns to Pernieth, holding out his hand. Dust floats through the air, coalescing into a simulacrum of a humanoid creature. It split into a group of twelve, each slightly different. Half were male, half female. The figures had fair skin, pointed ears, and silken hair.

"The Elves, my Children, will be born from dust soon. I wish for them to live in harmony with your children, my friend. They will not harm trees without the gravest of reasons, and shall pray to you as much as me. They will be courageous, quick, and strong; great warriors will be born of their stock." Deimos closed his eyes, setting the small simulacrums down on the ground. He inhaled deeply, and then breathed out onto them, making their bodies grow to full size. They were lithe but solid, like the branches of a tree. Deimos placed a hand on one's shoulder. "I shall only bring them to life with your blessing, Pernieth. For I respect you above all other gods."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Void, Jin Xua'Hal, and Dred Olg

The great serpentine lord of the First Engines and the dark Lady of the Nightmare Engines stood in the Visionary. They had gathered their legions Dred Olg looked to Jin Xua'Hal.

"My good brother. Do you see it? There is now a second ocean. This place is untouched by the great Mezzethera, my nightmare engines would be more powerful there. Let us send our legions upon this new ocean, perfection will fall upon it. The dragons can have the old world, this new world will belong to the Engines."

The chittering from Jin Xua'Hal intensified, his massive chess board before him showed his First Engines moving forward. The slender eyes focused upon the board then darting toward the newly formed ocean. A replica of the islands of Heimdal and Vioarr appear on the board, the First Engines holograms move to them, and the image slowly transformed from lush jungles and verdant forests to metallic mashes reminiscent of junk yards. Massive claws grabbing at the landscape from hundreds upon thousands of First Engines pulling from the land, the local life, and each other to build themselves up. On the image of Heimdal they form a throne, upon this throne a model of Jin Xua'Hal sits coiled around, his spines attached to the throne giving him direct control over the First Engines in the once lush jungle landscape turned into a mechanical horror.

"Then we are in agreement, my good brother."

With that, the First Engines, and the Nightmare Engines leave the Visionary to the underplayground.

Heimdal, Jin Xua'Hal and the First Engines

Falling from the sky, thousands of First Engines rain down. The damage from the fall igniting them to quickly grab whatever they can from the landscape and add it to their own forms. In a mere few hours the whole of the jungle is devoured by the ravenous hunger to repair and absorb organic and inorganic matter into themselves. At the heart of the horror is the avatar known as Jin Xua'Hal carefully recording every movement onto his holographic chessboard. He grabs several of the First Engines that had lost out on the orgy of repair and simply twitch helplessly. He shapes them into a throne to sit upon. His cold eyes staring out upon the horizon his spines rubbing against each other in a metallic screech that could be mistaken for laughter.

Spoiler
    Show
    6 - 1 Mold Land Heimdal is now a metallic mesh, swarmed with First Engines that will attempt to grip anything apart that gets near them.

The Coasts of Main, Dred Olg

Falling into the oceans, gracefully like great black umbrellas the Nightmare Engines came. For a moment the sun was blotted out as Dred Olg herself fell from the heavens. Her form twisting in the breeze, and her Nightmare Engines clinging to her as if some terrible evening gown. Upon landing in the second ocean, they plunged deep under it. Dred Olg was pleased.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

"Given." Pernieth says without hesitation. This, this was part of the perfection he sought. Life cannot exist without life, he realized this now. Already his vision of the perfect world shifts to include mortal races. But not so far as to believe them superior to the trees. The Once-Shepherd was right. They used the trees for their machinations, and in turn they nourished the trees with their bodies. These new mortals would live upon the First Tree, and would reap the bounty of Pernieth. So long as they followed his code, they would be protected as he protected his trees.

Still, it was not enough. He could not make these Elves the caretakers of the forest, for all that they would honor the trees and nature, for all that they would care for it, they were still removed. They were born of the soil, of the dust. To be keepers, he would need something born of the selfsame bark of his flesh, a people who knew what it meant to be truly one with the forest.

He had his template. The Speaker had done her task with great success, and when she returned home, she would find herself no longer alone. "Companions" he says to Deimos, and from the trees that surround them, beings walk forth. Like Cassandra they seemed part nature, part mortal. They spoke with the trees, and for the trees. They lived within the bark and roots and leaves of the trees, caring for them, perfect symbiosis. They protected the forests just as the forests protected them. They had no need to eat, for the trees provided them with all the energy they needed. They shy from fire, for it burns them as easily as it does their cousins. Most of all, they love trickery and jokes, and the wild, and their Elven brethren, who will ever hold a special place in their heart.

The dryads assemble before Pernieth. "Prepare." He says, and gestures expansively across the vast land of the canopy of the first tree. Giggling and dancing, the dryads make their way across the lands, coaxing trees to create clearing among the forests, moving groves to allow for fertile fields, preparing the way for the elves to settle, so that no tree need fall to make room for the new race. The dryads made stacks of branches, fallen from willing trees, ready to be shaped into homes and tools.

Pernieth smiles at Deimos. "Harmony" he says.

Spoiler: AP
    Show

2-2: Create Race: Dryads - Born of the trees themselves, the dryads at the nature counterparts to the elves. They interact with all who visit their groves, for they live within the trees themselves, protecting them as Perneith does. They speak for the trees, and can be petitioned to allow for the felling or harvesting of trees. All dryads revere the oldest tree in the grove, which hold sacred significance to them. Desecration of this tree is treated most harshly.
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2015-02-09 at 03:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

The Dwarves & Kobolds

Below the Challenge Mountains, the dwarves follow their kobold brethren deep into the ground. With a rapidly burgeoning population and growing network of tunnels, it becomes apparent that there must be better way to keep track of what is going on beyond simple tallies and reports. In a series of rituals and fitful dreams, groups of dwarves and kobolds see their minds expanded. The tunnels of the dwarves suddenly take on greater uniformity and sturdiness. The civilization begins to run with greater efficiency as the kobold counters find better methods of accounting.

Spoiler: AP Expenditures
    Show
    3 - 1 PAP Teach Populace - Mathematics. The dwarves and koblds have gained the gift of numbers. The dwarves have mastered engineering and the practical application of math, while the kobolds tend more towards logistics and taxation.

Discord Tag #4097

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hagatha - The Dark Grove

Dryads did their job well and soon they had spread far as wide to all places suitable for their beautiful groves. And they were all beautiful, for a time. Pernieth had done well in crafting "harmony". But some places weren't meant to be.

The Heart Tree had dwelt here for longer than it could remember. Trees don't consider time passing as readily as other mortals. It was an old tree, however, and it dreamed sweet dreams. Like all the trees it's bark was tough and it's leafs sharp so it could definitely take care of itself. But it certainly appreciated the thought when the Dryads came to take care of it. These creatures were like it and not like it.

This Heart Tree didn't know that it wasn't as healthy as other Heart Trees. It wasn't sure why the Dryads around it fretted often. This Heart Tree often lost it's leaves and, while surviving, it could do better. However, it did produce excellent fruit that the Dryads often consumed, with the deepest respect. Things were good. But they never remain good.

A Dryad died. Was this cause for concern? The Heart Tree watched the distress on the survivors faces. It was odd. It was something it had never seen before. Here in this grove they were a little far from the First Tree because if they were closer Pernieth would have taken notice. The Dryad caretakers considered sending someone back to the First Tree to get to the bottom of this but nothing came of it.

They regretted it.

The Dryads were suffering now. Many of them had become sick and even the healthiest were weak. Too weak to make it back to the First Tree. The Heart Tree watched then cough and sputter. Without help they would die soon. Was it the trees fault? The nourishment the tree drew through it's roots here was wrong. It was the fruit it bore making them all sick. But was the land here cursed or was this Heart Tree rotten from the start?

Many more died from the sickness and their corpses went on to fertile the Heart Tree. The tree cried in horror. It couldn't move itself and had to draw from what was around but now it had dined on the corpses of those like it. And it happened again and again. It was torture. Soon the Heart Tree could feel nothing for their deaths any longer but it felt oddly watching them suffer now. An odd emotion. Was this joy? But why? The Heart Tree did not know but it felt immense pleasure as it observed the pain of the dryads. They would die soon and disappoint the Heart Tree.

The land around the grove turned dark and misty, the grass and leaves turned brown and brittle. The grey Heart Tree didn't grow leaves anymore and it's branches were barren, twisted and evil. It was deathly quiet in the grove now as only a few dryads survived, clinging to life through the coughs and pain in their chest much to the amusement of the Heart Tree. It didn't dream much anymore, but he did observe. Had this place always been cursed like this? Maybe that Heart Tree was just rotten from the start or maybe it was driven mad.

When all the dryads died the Heart Tree wasn't sure what to do. It had grown here an dwelt alone before the Dryads arrived but now it dreaded being trapped here alone, forever. Had the trees ever felt emotions as strong as these? It longed for companionship again, that and excitement, and suffering... Soon the bodies would be gone and it's roots would have to rely on the meager nutrients it once had. It couldn't merely dream of a world out there anymore. Even the animals didn't come here anymore.

What could the Heart Tree do? Days passed in silence. It was unbearable. The tree couldn't even speak these emotions as the dryads had. Why couldn't she just sleep as she once had? Did it think of itself as a she now rather than it? When did that happen?

How long would she be stuck here? She longed to move. Move? It had honestly never occurred to her before. She couldn't move. She was stuck. Trapped. Move. Move. Someone help. I don't want to be alone anymore. Help me I can't move. I can think, I can dream but I can't move or speak.

The twisted Heart Tree screamed internally in the quiet grove as it swayed slightly in the breeze.

Spoiler
    Show
    AP: 15

Mold Land (The Dark Grove) [1]: The land around the grove is cursed and evil. It feels wrong and is covered in dense trees that keep the rays of the sun from getting in too much. It's also misty and quiet. Very few animals dwell here.

Nourishment (Fruit) [1]: Trees whether they be sentient or not now grow amazing fruit. Apples, oranges, peaches, all manner of juicy mundane fruit. This is a boon to the population of trees but it'll likely help out all mortals.

Pestilence (Rotten Fruit) [1]: But some of those fruits are rotten to the core. Even the mightiest healthiest tree will grow a little bad fruit. You can't tell from the outside but on the inside it's all black and terrible. Ingesting one of these will give you Black Lung. Most trees in the Dark Grove grow this kind.

Pestilence (Black Lung) [1]: A curse on the Dryads around the Dark Grove's Heart Tree but it can affect anyone who eats of rotten fruit. It's a mold from the fruit that gets into your lungs. The first symptoms are a terrible nigh-constant cough followed by intense chest pains and trouble breathing. If you only eat a little or get treatment it'll pass in about three days. But if it's been about a week and you still have it chances are it'll get so bad that you asphyxiate.

AP: 11
    Last edited by Phobia; 2015-02-10 at 04:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Space Lawyer View Post
    Surtur looks askance at the dwarf in front of him. Clearly, this being, despite having the form of a dwarf, considers itself something altogether different. "I would gladly receive tutelage. It is in my nature to learn all there is of this world."

"Then summon the Elders, so that I may demonstrate the power that lies within."
    says the Dwarf. He will wait till Surtur gathers the Dwarfs, and will lead them to the dreaded surface. Once there, the Dwarf will turn to the King and his people.

"You are masters of the ground below, but the first murder has caused you to huddle in the safety of your mountain home. Yet the day will come when battle shall be given, not on your terms, but on those of your enemies. It is here that you that you can unleash your full potential."

"Now then... I request the very essence of Ikino. Give me fire."

A lit torch is given to the strange Dwarf, who lifts it towards his mouth and begins to eat the fire. As soon as he swallows the last remaining flame, he throws away the torch, and turning to Sutur he says "Behold..." even as the Dwarf speaks, his skin begins to turn into thick platinum scales while wings sprout behind his back allowing flight "... the power of the Dragons!" as he turns and unleashes the destructive force of his Dragon's breath onto the side of a mountain.

Landing by Sutur, the Dwarf says "And yet, this power can be taught to all who share the blood of our Mother who Slumbers. A single one of the Dwarfs can, in time, unleash the full power of the Dragons that sleeps within. Should you agree most noble Sutur, then my brothers and sisters would be more than willing to teach your Kin how to use this power. Assuming of course that your Kin are found worthy of this knowledge."

Even as the Dwarf speaks, a dozen Metallic Dragons, answering the call of Bahamut land near the Dwarfs. "And thus, you may consider this arrangement, as a token of friendship between the Dwarfs and the Dragons."

Spoiler
    Show

AP5=6-1: Create Concept: Dragonfire Adepts and Wyrm Wizards.

Dragonfire Adepts have no arcane or divine magic. Instead they tap into a direct link with the nature of Draconic existence infusing their soul with the raw magic of Dragons. By using invocations, the Dragonfire Adept's magic manifests by the emulation of Draconic powers, first and foremost, the ability to use the Dragon's Breath. Naturally the first step is to find a Dragon willing to teach the mortal, and only then does the mortal become a student what may arguably be the oldest and most powerful powerful force a mortal can manipulate.

Wyrm Wizards are spellcasters who learn new spells not through research and experimentation but rather by tapping into the vast wealth of arcane knowledge possessed by dragons. Like many other wizards, wyrm wizards spend a great deal of time perfecting their spellcasting techniques, though most of their spells are based on the teachings of friendly dragons. A wyrm wizard and his dragon mentor might spend weeks or months in seclusion, discussing the finer points of spell manipulation or exploring new concepts.

Only mortals created from the Creation Divine Line may become Dragonfire Adepts.

Last edited by Shmee; 2015-02-09 at 05:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Deimos smiles brightly, opening his hand to allow ribbons of energy to flow from it and into the lifeless elfish bodies. Across the first tree, small communities of elves spring into life, ready to live alongside the Dryads and Trees. With browned skin and hair in various shades of brown, they were the first of the Elves. In ages ahead, they would come to be known as the Wild Elves, savage dwellers of the forests, closest to the Dryads. For now, they were simply called Elves, for that is what they were. They lived, laughed, and loved in the trees; tilling the soil so that plants may grow more easily, and hunting for small animals in moderation. They ate only the fruits and crops that they were given by the grace of Pernieth, and so their diets were composed mostly of meat. "Harmony." Deimos stated to Pernieth.

The Elves lived in simple homes, each large enough to house a family including grandparents. They lived long, fruitful lives, a virtue passed to them by the Night Dragon, Deimos. And all the while, they were taught by their gods, and they learned respect and courage. They praised Pernieth every morn, and every night they prayed to Deimos. From both gods they asked for wisdom, courage, and strength. Strength to do the right thing, courage to surmount the obstacles that stood before them, and the wisdom to know how to act in accordance with the wishes of nature. They gave great heed to the words of the Dryads, and often danced with them in the evenings. Then they slept, and visions of blood awaited them.

Deimos too, slept. The creation of the elves had tired him, and so when they woke from the night's sleep, he would lie down. During the day, he slept, trusting the elves with the great land that Pernieth had so graciously created. He slept and dreamed. He dreamed of soaring through the skies, of breathing great gouts of primal energy, and of the slaughter such power could bring. Every night, he would awake to hear the prayers of the elves, and to guard them as they slept. Every night he would forget most of the day's fitful dreams, being none the wiser. Slowly, however, he began to piece together what was happening, and it disturbed him. He had no wish to fight those who did not harm and oppress others, indeed it was against the very fibre of his being to do so. Yet every day, he dreamed of this, and of plunging beneath the waves.

Spoiler: AP Expenditure
    Show
    15 AP - 2 AP = 13 AP
    2 AP - Create Populace: Elves. Elves are tall humanoids with silken hair and unblemished skin. They dwell in the branches of the First Tree, living alongside Dryads in homes made from fallen branches. They believe harming another being in anything but self defense or for food to be an abomination. They have no set code of laws yet, but they are young. They currently pray to Pernieth and Deimos as their gods, but others may make their way into the Elven Pantheon. The elves live in a casteless society for now, and every elf follows what they believe to be the wishes of Pernieth and Deimos.
    Last edited by Darklady2831; 2015-02-09 at 06:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Surtur

"It will be done, by the sacred fire that binds us. My people will learn of the draconic ways." More dwarves appear from the ground, having heard the roars of flame and heavy bodies landing. They go to the dragons, recognizing the wyrm's power and authority.

In a short time, the arts of the dragonfire adepts and wyrmfire wizards spreads throughout dwarven society. A few curious minds begin to examine how these arcane abilities might interact with the more mundane crafts.

Discord Tag #4097

16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ignus, Helfarch, Ulric
    The Burning Lands

Ignus turned from the two strange elementals, which had apparently fallen asleep, and moved to her temple.

"Why are you attempting to gain entry to my personal rooms?"

Ignus' people in the meantime begin to filter through the portal into the other world.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2015-02-09 at 07:54 PM.
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hagatha - The Dark Grove

"Suffering- everyone will suffer- pain-." The Heart Tree grunted out in a harsh gravelly voice that had never spoken as the bottom of the trunk tore apart madly resulting in an approximation of a mouth. The tree seemed as surprised as anyone else would be at first. It wasn't used to having it's thoughts vocalized. An unknowable amount of time had passed since it's dryad caretakers had all died and nourished it's roots. The tree hadn't dreamed since that day; only able to stew in it's impotent rage.

But at last! Words! It felt glee for the first time since the last dryad expired.

"No! Not an it any longer. I have a sense of self- I have grown mightier than other trees.. I have grown wiser."The Heart Tree mused at that before two knotholes on the trunk opened wider and move to a better position. She had given herself a face.

"Hagatha.. Yes, Hagatha." She spoke aloud officially naming herself. Where a tree came up with that name is anyone's guess. But it seemed to amuse her and she cackled madly in her still rough voice. Her bark was grey and dry but still as tough as ever, and new red leaves had sprouted in place of the dead ones.

Hagatha strained with all her treely might and some of her roots burst up through the ground. It... worked. The tree monster stared at her exposed root and swayed it around a bit.

"Incredible."

It was a simple word but it perfectly described the emotion she was feeling. Driving her roots back into the ground the old tree allowed her evil influence to spread from this one simple grove. Others would experience this exquisite pain for themselves. The only joy she could feel now would be in the pain of others.

Elsewhere, other Heart Trees stopped dreaming and only knew wakefulness. Unable to move, unable to speak, many of them grew increasingly insane and the groves around them suffered. But after a time they become more like Hagatha. They desired to have their roots nourished in blood and flesh for their tree-mouths. The Dryad caretakers couldn't imagine what had happened to these once peaceful, ancient and stoic woods that had been transformed so. They had become something twisted and evil these demon trees.. These Weirdwoods. They hungered for flesh!

Spoiler
    Show
    AP: 11

Create Land (Dark Grove) [1]: Adding a point to my original Mold Land action. I'm supernaturally extending the size of the dark grove. I'm spreading it from the current position of The Dark Grove (somewhere on the Demiourgia continent) to sort of "push" the rest of the land away and put this in the new empty space. So I'm not taking any other land I'm just inserting this place and making the whole continent bigger. With this action I've "snagged" a few other groves and Heart Trees. It's the same misty dark woods as before except more bustling with life. I'm also creating things like bogs, swamps and that kinda stuff. So this place is a forest swamp that takes up a big chunk of land.

Create Populace (Swamp Life) [2]: I'm using this action to create a whole swamp/big style ecosystem in the Dark Grove. You can except to see crocodiles, moquisitos, and other sorts of common swamp life in this place now.

Pestilence (Trouble Dreaming) [1]: Give the sentient trees a little trouble acheiving REM sleep. It's just a random affliction like a headache. I don't know what this might mean for magic, but effectively it makes a lot of the trees grumpier and more aware of their surroundings and shortcomings. Most of them get over it and have dreams again but some don't, and some of those that don't go completely insane.

Create Subrace (Weirdwoods) [1]: These are Heart Trees have completely given up on dreaming and have had dead bodies nourish their roots. Only Heart Trees can become Weirdwoods, not the less intelligent normal trees. They differ from normal sentient trees in that they can speak, have a crazy tree-trunk face, limited root mobility and hunger for flesh. The dryads that care for these particular trees are freaked out, to say the least.

AP: 6
    Last edited by Phobia; 2015-02-10 at 04:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralasha View Post
    Ignus, Helfarch, Ulric
    The Burning Lands

Ignus turned from the two strange elementals, which had apparently fallen asleep, and moved to her temple.

"Why are you attempting to gain entry to my personal rooms?"

Ignus' people in the meantime begin to filter through the portal into the other world.

Helfarch stopped dead. He was kneeling at the foot of the door, studying the bottom most runes. He closed his eyes. The floor below REALLY should have been a clue that he had wondered into the private areas.

He stood dusting himself off he faced the goddess a sheepish smile on his face, "Because I wanted to see what was in there."

It took him a moment, "Wait, that sounds wrong."

Ulric flew from the balcony and alighted atop Helfarch's head. Bending over, he looked Helfarch in the eye. "You're 0 for 2 boss."

Helfarch colored, Ulric hopped from the god's head to his shoulder looking like he had just caught a rabbit. Helfarch bowed slightly from the waist, "My deepest apologies, I was told there was a fire at the peak of the temple and wished to see it, I did not intend to violate your privacy."

Desperate for a change in subject, and speaking before Ulric could add something more, Helfarch introduces himself, "I am Helfarch, the Pursuer, this is my companion, Ulric."

Ulric waves a talon.
    Gwyn, The First Knight

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Yeshon View Post

Helfarch stopped dead. He was kneeling at the foot of the door, studying the bottom most runes. He closed his eyes. The floor below REALLY should have been a clue that he had wondered into the private areas.

He stood dusting himself off he faced the goddess a sheepish smile on his face, "Because I wanted to see what was in there."

It took him a moment, "Wait, that sounds wrong."

Ulric flew from the balcony and alighted atop Helfarch's head. Bending over, he looked Helfarch in the eye. "You're 0 for 2 boss."

Helfarch colored, Ulric hopped from the god's head to his shoulder looking like he had just caught a rabbit. Helfarch bowed slightly from the waist, "My deepest apologies, I was told there was a fire at the peak of the temple and wished to see it, I did not intend to violate your privacy."

Desperate for a change in subject, and speaking before Ulric could add something more, Helfarch introduces himself, "I am Helfarch, the Pursuer, this is my companion, Ulric."

Ulric waves a talon.
    "Oh look, fried chicken." She looks back to Helfarch. "Bottom of the tower, if you please. I wonder if onyone else has ever been so disappointed with their siblings as I was today..." She steps and is standing on the level above the Altar, watching a service being given in worship to her majesty, and generosity.

A large number of Genasi move through the opening to the plane of fire. Back and foth, carrying supplies to and from the other world. Buildings can be seen to be being erected on the other side.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2015-02-10 at 11:03 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Eucle lays around the first tree, his massive body forming mountains keeping the grove apart from the rest of the world. While Deimos rests and Pernieth tends to the tree the Wealth God observes the elves and dryads. At first he does so from afar, holding respect for the other's God's creations. His own children, the rust monsters and their elders seem clumsy when compared to the gracious habitants of the first tree.

When the elven and fey children approach him he doesn't balk away letting them play atop his body and run barefoot over him. He observes and learns. Someday, perhaps a distant day, he would create more children, or raise his creatures to sentience. When that day came he would make perfect and rich creations.

He observed as the trees beared more fruit. Some of it rich and fragant, a true treasure, while other was rotten to the core dark with maggots. He saw sickness strike down the children of Deimos and Pernieth. And he decided to intervene.

The elves and the dryads who had grown close to him, exploring the ridges of his earthern body, were the first to be taught but after them came others. The wealth god taught them how to raise the trees to produce the best fruits. How to tend the soil, the water and every little detail that went into the trees growth. He didn't taught only mundane means but he also infused the thrill for magical knowledge and magical caring in the newborn sentients. Knowing full well that his magic was limited, a far shot from what other Gods might teach he taught the elves and fey to trade magic secrets for magical fruits.

Fearing Deimos or Pernieth reprimands he decided that the trade would be through him, through his chosen. Twisting and pulling some of the dreams that had gone to form the Syndicate Eucle's trading pious started to form caravans. Caravans that would never reach the First Tree, that was ill advised, but reach the ridges atop Eucle and trade there with the sons of the King of Dust and the First Tree. Eucle had touched many minds when he was born, and his chosen were part of every race that had come before him, reaching far and wide. Humans that had taken to the seas, Dwarves that had taken to the secrets of Technology, Kobolds who had taken to the caves, Genasi that had taken to the secrets of Magic, those and others were among Eucle's faithful always looking for a good trade and good wealth. Those were the ones that traded with the elves atop Eucle exchanging magical knowledge found in the darkest and brightest corners for the fruit that the elves and dryads had grown. Then those inhabiting the First Tree would use that research through that magical knowledge looking for ways to better care for the trees.

Spoiler
    Show

6 AP
    6 - 2 Create Organisation: Gardeners the Gardeners are a loose organization, elves and dryads aren't truly organized as is. Their main focus is to tend to the trees of the forest and to deal with outsiders. They are willing to trade magical fruits with those bearing the mark of Eucle (a dowsing rod) in exchange of magical/technological secrets (spells that they don't know or ways of creating new items for example). They will use the acquired knowledge to strenghten their trees. Associated PrC: Arboreal Guardian (Ghostwalk)
    4 - 1 Teach Populace: Eucle teaches the Gardeners how to tend to the trees minimizing the number of rotten fruits and maximizing the good ones. He also teaches them how to use magic to improve the fruits beyond what would otherwise be possible and how to innovate in their use of magic when it comes to tend to the trees. Finally he teaches them to use the fruits, both the good/magical ones and the rotten ones (cursed apple poison is a thing)

3 AP remaining
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Dream Sun, Omen Tower, Blood Praetor, A Peer

As trees began to have trouble sleeping - as their dreams of sunshine became far away things - as they became Weirdwoods instead of the those tall beings of the First, the collective Dream Sun began to dim.

Those gods and mortals whom have made their home on the shores of the Dream sun, in fact all the shores facing towards the dream sun have long got used to the gentle glow coming through the iridescent ocean. Even at night, when the Cosmic Mother blinks, it was like a rainbow hued dawn.

Now that dawn turned to dusk, as the dream sun's light began to waver. It was still bright, as many trees still dreamed - either in true sleep or in daydreams - but the fact that some began losing the ability to dream meant that the collected dreams of a lost sun had lost a fraction of their number.

Yet aside from an ominous dimming - an omen that those on the continents might have taken seriously - the ones that had truly noticed were the Demons. For, Demonic magic took from the dream-fire of the fantasy sun. That fire that no other being could feel. Without the sun . . . the demons would still be powerful. . . but they had long ago gotten used to the Sun. The Dreams of Trees were precious to them - and beyond their own rivalries and dispositions, those that disturb the dreaming of trees would earn their wrath.

The Blood Praetor, feeling his grip on the false sun's power weaken sent a Peer to investigate.

Peer's were the elite of the Omen Demons. Powerfully build serpent tailed humanoids with powerful wings. Their black face mask with sightless eyes were scarred - were the Blood Praetor marked them. To become a Peer, an Omen demon must consume many dreams of war and make many more.

To influence dreams is no small task - it is not a simple waive of the hand. Demon must actually live and experience those dreams - shape them from the inside out. The Blood Praetor was called as such, not because he made mortals dream of war - but because he made his demons live through countless dream wars and bath in dream blood till some went mad and dissolved back into the mud they came from.

A Peer had lived through an eternity of war. Any possible imagined war. The dreams of Dragons fighting in the sky - the Peer lived and battled alongside them. A dream of dryads tearing their trees apart - the demon felt the splinters. A dream of dwarves in their tunnels and strange weapons - the Peer was among them, fighting with those he considered brothers and enemies, sometimes both within a single dream. A Peer, to be marked as such, must experience every type of Drempt up War. Wars that the world will never see . . .

And one such Peer flew out of the ocean - perhaps the first Demon that could be sighted from a continent. Its tail coiled underneath itself, and its wings fold back. It is an imposing creature - sitting on it's tail it is more than ten feet high and made of thick sinew. With its sightless eyes it scanned the new land - so alien compared to the ocean it came from, but so familiar. He fought, in dreams, on this land, for this land . . . and died on this land many times.

There was no one around. . . and thus the Peer began his search for whatever was disturbing the dreams of trees.

22. - Top - End - #232

The Temple

"Yikes," Ulric whispered, "she's pleasant."

Helfarch grinned, "She didn't kick us out, it's a start."

Helfarch joins Ignus on the second floor, he nods a greeting before he looks over the rail and watches the procession stroking his beard. "Hrm, a migration?"
    Gwyn, The First Knight

23. - Top - End - #233

Ignus continues to watch, arm's crossed beneath her bosom. "Preperations for inhabitability. Plant and Animal transplantation, resource gathering, construction. The like." She looks over at him, "What would you ask of me, man who walks with talking chicken?"
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2015-02-10 at 11:54 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

24. - Top - End - #234

Ulric's eyes narrow at the goddess, "I have no idea what this 'chicken' is but I'm certain I'm offended."

"A small flightless bird." Ulric blinks, then blinks again, he looks down at the gensai, up at the ceiling, to the door, then to his wings, this was going to take him a while to process.

Helfarch ignores him, "I came seeking your skill." He retrieved a bow made of disparate types of stone, wondrous to look at, but beyond a mortal's means to use, certainly beyond the power of any mundane string to bend. "I made this bow from the stone at the Apex of the world, but I couldn't make a string suitable to draw it. I saw your touch on the dwarven smiths and thought if any could make a suitable string it'd be you, so here I am."

He offers her the bow. "If there's anything you would ask in exchange, name it, short of my chicken."

Ulric is too deep in thought at the concept of 'flightless bird' to even notice that remark.
    Gwyn, The First Knight

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Yeshon View Post
    Ulric's eyes narrow at the goddess, "I have no idea what this 'chicken' is but I'm certain I'm offended."

"A small flightless bird." Ulric blinks, then blinks again, he looks down at the gensai, up at the ceiling, to the door, then to his wings, this was going to take him a while to process.

Helfarch ignores him, "I came seeking your skill." He retrieved a bow made of disparate types of stone, wondrous to look at, but beyond a mortal's means to use, certainly beyond the power of any mundane string to bend. "I made this bow from the stone at the Apex of the world, but I couldn't make a string suitable to draw it. I saw your touch on the dwarven smiths and thought if any could make a suitable string it'd be you, so here I am."

He offers her the bow. "If there's anything you would ask in exchange, name it, short of my chicken."

Ulric is too deep in thought at the concept of 'flightless bird' to even notice that remark.
    She chuckles with mirth, a very light, husky almost laugh. "Do you have the original string?" She holds out a hand expectantly.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2015-02-10 at 01:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Ralasha View Post
    She chuckles with mirth, a very light, husky almost laugh. "Do you have the original string?" She holds out a hand expectantly.

Looking down she notices that some of her people appear to have begun hoarding resources for themselves. She callously orders them drowned, such behavior cannot lead to anything positive... One will have more, others less. Rectify it, remove the taint.
    Helfarch digs into his pocket, "Certainly." He pulls out the broken sinew and drops it in her hand.
    Last edited by Yeshon; 2015-02-10 at 01:34 PM.
    Gwyn, The First Knight

27. - Top - End - #237

Ignus takes the broken sinew, and holds it up, opening her mouth to better illuminate the fragile object.

With two fingers she pinches the broken string back together into one piece (renewal domain).

She then grips it at one end, and runs those same fingers along it's length, leaving behind only a single strand of bright and somehow solid light.

She holds it out to him afterwards. "It should not break now. My people did not teach the Dwarves everything they know." She smirks , "That would be both blasphemous and heretical."

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Pernieth, Eucle

The Nature god watched and wondered if he should intervene. Deimos would have to deal with this in his own way, but Pernieth wondered if he should allow the dryads to continue. For a time, he wandered among his people. He saw the rotten fruits, and cured many who fell ill to their influence. He saw these new Gardeners, small sects among the dryads, who traded away the fruit of the trees for other gifts. And he saw that it was good. The gifts of nature were not to be hoarded and squandered, but shared with all in their bounty. Respected, always, but shared as well. He would allow it to continue, for now.

Trade was, of course, easy on the continent, but those who sought to trade with the elves and dryads found it a daunting task. The climb up to the canopy was treacherous, the winds capable of plucking a man from the vines that trailed into the ocean and hurling him to his doom. Only the very strong and very brave could trade with the tree, but those that did found their wealth almost assured, for the denizens of the First Tree produced fruits and seeds and crops like no other place in the world. This was the Heart of Nature itself, the island, and it's prizes were highly sought. Still, the traders knew to be respectful, for the dryads hurled many of the first traders from the canopy for their arrogance in claiming the land and the trees as their own.

Cassandra

The Speaker could feel it. The Darkening. She did not live off the Rays of the Dream Sun as the demons did, but she was still one with the Forest. Something was going terribly wrong beyond the borders of the First Tree. Something that Pernieth was blind to, for some reason or another. Cassandra bids her farewell to the assemblage on the Challenge Mountains, and steps into a tree to find the source of this corruption. She travels, grove by grove, speaking to her sisters, the dryads, and seeking news.
    Spoiler: Mystic
    Show
    Cassandra is on the same trail if you want her and the Peer to meet up.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Burning Lands, Matron Mother Elev Nosh, Ignus, Helfarch, Ulric

A swirl of blood appears next to the duo of divinities, stepping through the swirl is the Matron Mother Elev Nosh. Her blood slicked body absorbing the vortex as she steps through it. Her massive crown a pristine white. She looks and then bows to Helfarch,

"Hello, Brother. I did not know you were involved with the elemental beings. Our father wishes to know what these creatures have connected to the first creation."

She then turns to Ignus.

"You must be the spawn of Zalasram who spawned these elemental forces. Perhaps you could inform me? The first creation is a danger to all, to make a race using his essence is a great sin. Explain yourself, child."

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    The Burning Lands, Matron Mother Elev Nosh, Ignus, Helfarch, Ulric

A swirl of blood appears next to the duo of divinities, stepping through the swirl is the Matron Mother Elev Nosh. Her blood slicked body absorbing the vortex as she steps through it. Her massive crown a pristine white. She looks and then bows to Helfarch,

"Hello, Brother. I did not know you were involved with the elemental beings. Our father wishes to know what these creatures have connected to the first creation."

She then turns to Ignus.

"You must be the spawn of Zalasram who spawned these elemental forces. Perhaps you could inform me? The first creation is a danger to all, to make a race using his essence is a great sin. Explain yourself, child."
    Ignus raises an eyebrow, "As I have informed those that came before you, I am not spawned of Zalsaram. I am spawned of Zalsar. Any man who lights a fire, who breathes the air, who digs in the earth, or shapes the things that are of it. Any being that is of water, that drinks of water, the feels the rain, that waters their crops. All of these things are of your Zalsaram, for Zalsar no longer exists."

She gestures below, "Those beings are of my Essence. Not his. They come from me, from my flesh. They are of me, not of others." Her tone during the entirety of her speech is calm, matter of fact, and patient. "Notice how they look like me, speak with my words, write in my script. Their image, behavior nature and thoughts of like mine."
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2015-02-10 at 02:02 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、