New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Let's Make This [Digimon RP] You never know till you've tried

So lets face it,

I'm a digimon fan.

Not to say I don't love Pokemon, I do. It's just after watching season 3 of digimon repeatedly, Digimon has a special place in my heart. Seeing the huge success of Pokemon Tabletop, I was wondering if I could recruit a group of people to go on an epic journey, a journey to trying to create:

A VIABLE DIGIMON ROLEPLAYING GAME

I realize there are many difficulties that lie ahead of us adventurers.

The fact that in most iterations of digimon there is only one "partner" digimon may seem off-putting, however the fact that there is no role-playing version of this out there yet means we can be the deciders of how to work around this. We can be the architects of a great game.

The world of Digimon is already welcoming to zany creations, and the sheer variety of plots occurring just in the anime shows how crazy and awesome people could get role-playing digimon if given a foundation.

So I seek those with ideas, those willing to devote energy to becoming the sculptors of a role-playing wonder,

DIGIMON THE ROLE PLAYING GAME (a good version)

please reply if interested, I'll post ideas more in depth shortly.
    Last edited by Shadowz1797; 2015-01-29 at 09:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Make This [Digimon RP] You never know till you've tried

dont know how much help ill be, but i love this idea, and ill chime in with whatever i can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

AND THEN THERE WERE TWO!!!!!

(since we're coming up on the weekend I'll make a major post Friday Night/Saturday Morning (EST) detailing ideas, systems, etc.)

That will also give us the chance of hopefully getting more recruits as a core group of people=better efficiency.

For compiling ideas and such: this weekend I'll also make a variety of google docs to be shared and edited, to serve as our "core books" if you will.

Thanks so much, lets bring this vision to fruition.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Count me in.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I dont know that much about digimon ( seen season 3, and a little bit each of 01 and 02) butthere's a few systems I really enjoy (which are not d20) that I'd like to shill for.

Unlike pokemon, it's pretty clear that tamers can and will be attacked by digimon. Bodyguard-type talents should probably come standard with the digivise.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2015-01-30 at 01:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

AND THEN THERE WERE 4!!!!!!!

Very excited to have all of you in.

As for your point about tamers getting attacked:
    That's one of the areas where Digimon has the potential of being an awesome system, because while we can implement a well rounded class system for the tamers themselves, we can also have players experience customizing their Digimon. (In a method similar to leveling up in Pokemon Tabletop, or maybe even have it more precise and more akin to classing, WHO KNOWS!!!!!

Once again, thank you all, come tonight or tomorrow I will make a large post.
    Be Ready.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Do we really want a class based system for tamers? I would imagine a skill based system would better reflect the variety we see in the shows.
    Perhaps a template based on the digivise selected? So a Renamon with an 02 Digivise gets Armor Transformatins, but a Tamers Digivise get Digi-modify cards?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Do we really want a class based system for tamers? I would imagine a skill based system would better reflect the variety we see in the shows.
    Perhaps a template based on the digivise selected? So a Renamon with an 02 Digivise gets Armor Transformatins, but a Tamers Digivise get Digi-modify cards?
    That's a great point, but I think could be fused well with a class. A prerequisite for the class could be posession of the digivice. For example a Tamer Class would need Digivice 03 and higher skills of INT possibly. Just a thought.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowz1797 View Post

That's a great point, but I think could be fused well with a class. A prerequisite for the class could be posession of the digivice. For example a Tamer Class would need Digivice 03 and higher skills of INT possibly. Just a thought.
    The issue with that, I think, is that it makes all the TV shows except 02 into single-class adventuring parties.

I'm thinking something more like the white wolf "Everyone uses this one subsystem, unless you're brave enough to combine books" that they use for WoD and Exalted. It also means we can worry a bit less about digivise balance, because of how everyone in the party would have the same effects.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Very strong point indeed. Sometime tomorrow afternoon (EST) I'll make a giant intro post, and well start getting organized. Again let me thank you adventurers for joining me on this task.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

As we seem to be debating what basic system to use, i must say that i do support d10, as it makes character creation very easy. However i am going to advocate for a D20 system similar to Mutants and Masterminds, as i feel their combat system will better reflect the combat style of Digimon, on the plus side its classless.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I do enjoy mutants and masterminds combat. And again I see what you guys mean with subsets to go off of, it does allow for actual variety within a restriction being their identical digivices in a game.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I would love it if we could twist the Myriad Song system to fit- I'll need to ask around to see if there's a good way of doing a "pet" in that system we can expand on.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

POST TIME!!!!!!

My Vision
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want groups to be able to have a fun and challenging experience being their own digi destined. I wan the combat to flow well regardless of the limitations of set moves for Digimon, and I want to try and remain as faithful to the series as possible, making adjustments when needed for the viability of a fun tabletop game. I also want the created system to be open and easy for people to create "Fakemon", as Digimon has always been a very creative series and I think it would be in the spirit of the series to take this creativity to the tabletop game with us.

Organization
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would like all of you to post your interests below, so that we can divide up the sections of work. The interests to choose from are:
    -Combat System
    -General Exploration, skills
    -Character Archetyping
    -Digimon Archiving
    -any additional needs you are interested in dealing with please post also
    I will be acting as a help on all different sections, and basically the project overseer, compiling all the different sections into one cohesive unit.

Please reply, by tonight I'll post my actual ideas for combat, leveling up, and general gameplay. Keep in mind I will most likely be starting a game on Rpol.net, so that we can frequently playtest. obviously before we start we need to have a unified vision, so that we can divide up the work without interfering with eachother.

15. - Top - End - #15

One, I like d20 as the resolution mechanic, so don't expect me to offer too much help with regard to numbers if that isn't the one we use here.

Two, W40RPG-style talent trees on top of "racial" bonuses from Digivice and partner species (or Spirit, in the case of Hybrid Evolution mechanics)? Or porting the mechanics from one of the Digimon World games a la Pokémon Tabletop? This is important, tells us how much actual work we need to do, as opposed to how much we can rip bloody-handed from an existing game.

Regarding Interception/Bodyguard mechanics, keep in mind that most Tamers/Chosen Children are generally less combat-inclined than the Child-level Digimon they're partnered with. To keep that feel is to remove player agency, and basically make the Tamer's only options in combat "shout encouragement" or "run," with "Hybrid Evolution" being an option for a Frontier-esque campaign.

And speaking of evolution, how shall that be handled? Stat template "shell programs"? Will players have to submit a full evolutionary line in advance? Noting here that Agumon can evolve into practically every Adult-level Digimon somehow.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    One, I like d20 as the resolution mechanic, so don't expect me to offer too much help with regard to numbers if that isn't the one we use here.

Two, W40RPG-style talent trees on top of "racial" bonuses from Digivice and partner species (or Spirit, in the case of Hybrid Evolution mechanics)? Or porting the mechanics from one of the Digimon World games a la Pokémon Tabletop? This is important, tells us how much actual work we need to do, as opposed to how much we can rip bloody-handed from an existing game.

Regarding Interception/Bodyguard mechanics, keep in mind that most Tamers/Chosen Children are generally less combat-inclined than the Child-level Digimon they're partnered with. To keep that feel is to remove player agency, and basically make the Tamer's only options in combat "shout encouragement" or "run," with "Hybrid Evolution" being an option for a Frontier-esque campaign.

And speaking of evolution, how shall that be handled? Stat template "shell programs"? Will players have to submit a full evolutionary line in advance? Noting here that Agumon can evolve into practically every Adult-level Digimon somehow.
    As for d20, that's the system I'm in support of, I believe it offers more flexibility and variation etc.

I personally feel it's possible to go either way with how we handle tamer specifics. While I think a talent tree would be interesting, I still think it's possible to implement a class system. Right off the bat I can look to PTU for class inspiration and come up with a solid set of: Brawler (combat oriented tamer), Strategist (Bonus Rolls for preparation/strategy etc, high INT), Chainer (Work in tandem with digimon, all sorts of combos, buff digimon, still have combat skills, etc.), Commander (Basically a buffer of entire party, can operate almost as a guardian), Healer (for lack of a better name, they are the main damage people, lol jk.). Dual-Classing could be a possibility and maybe even a suggestion to players.

As for tamers being able to fight, I understand they're supposedly young kids, but I do think there is a place for them to fight, and weapons could become commonplace. Also as they're the digi destined I think we can assume augmented abilities and such.

In advance I think it would be best if players were following a line beforehand, as most Digimon do have determined In-training, rookie, champion, ultimate, and mega forms, and then leave the rest up to the GM, for example if a tamer with agumon following basic line through wargreymon comes across an item allowing an additional evolution, that's absolutely fine with me.

As for digivolving, I think it would be easiest if it served as 2 main things. First off as a stat augmenter, there should be a set bonus/formula added to stats while in a different form. Obviously the bonus would increase depending on form of the digimon. However I do think we also need to add in different skills and abilities, as they are changing, and Hawkmon can't fly as Shurimon but can as Aquilamon, so obviously they should have different skillsets.

All my opinion, would love other input.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

I want in. I'm very knowledgeable about the Franchise.

I suggest that each Archetype have two or three alternate progressions paths.

Example Archetypes

Chosen Child:You are partnered with your Digimon due to Destiny Your Digimon feeds on your emotions.
    Crest Barer:you have a special power within you, that may or may not be focused by a crest, The Digimon Partners of a Crest Barer are slightly more powerful than others of their level and reach more advanced forms the most quickly, but are more vulnerable to Dark Evolution/Digivolution*
    Digemental Bearer: You wield one or more of the Digimentals, and with the Power of your D3 and D-Terminal can use them to evolve your partner into Armor Forms, granting a great degree of versatility. However, to make up for this versatility, you have the slowest progression through forms

Seeker: You aren't chosen by destiny. You sought out your Digimon, or it sought out you
    Tamer: You have D-Arch. This allows you to scan cards to provide Data that temporarily augments your Digimon's abilities(usually Digimon trading Cards) You also have a much closer emotional bond with your partner than most that eventually allows you to combine with your partner, becoming a mega level with a great deal more potency than most members of it's species. but, this bond is a two edged sword-when one of you is overwhelmed by emotions, so is the other, and when your partner is hurt, you feel their pain.
    DATS Agent: You've been recruited by a government agency that employs humans and digimon. Your custom Digivice alows yout to channel D.N.A/Digisoul, which allows your partner to rapidly digivolve, skipping to it's strongest form or just evolving or regressing through it's unlocked forms. It also gives you easiest access to Burst Mode-The Mythical level beyond Mega(Not to be confused with Ultra/Super Ultimate, the true level beyond Mega) But, Burst Mode can be dangerous and if performed improperly will destroy your partner, so easy access to it could be a liability

Merger: You do't have a partner. You have the power to turn into a Digimon.
    Spirit Wielder. You have one or more spirits that come from some ancient or legendary Digimon. Becoming a Hybrid Digimon gives your great strength and the power to draw on nature to empower yourself, but not only must you find your Beast Spirit before you can advance to your ultimate Equivalent form, and other beast and human Spirits to Advance to the highest levels of power in addition to the prerequisite experience to maintain such forms, but you're restricted to one element or Attribute
    Bio-Hybrid: Bio-Hybrids are works of mad science, a frankensteinian mixture of human DNA and Digimon Data. Biohybrids posses the greatest level of variety in forms, due to having multiple Digimon forms uploaded into them as opposed to true Digivolution, and are the only group other than Digimental wielding chosen Children to have Armor Forms, but they must have their forms programed into their cybernetic digivices, which takes time. Form Acquisition can also be unethical, and sometimes your Digimon Half might want out...

I've also got Xroswars inspired archetypes and a Lone Digimon one, but I'm havign a hard time figuring out paths one could take.

I figure a point buy system with ranks(You spend XP to buy character options, but you also keep track of how much total XP you've earned and when it hits a certain level, you rank up and have more and stronger options to take) and with General, Archetype Specific, and Path Specific options.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #18

As for d20, that's the system I'm in support of, I believe it offers more flexibility and variation etc.

I personally feel it's possible to go either way with how we handle tamer specifics. While I think a talent tree would be interesting, I still think it's possible to implement a class system. Right off the bat I can look to PTU for class inspiration and come up with a solid set of: Brawler (combat oriented tamer), Strategist (Bonus Rolls for preparation/strategy etc, high INT), Chainer (Work in tandem with digimon, all sorts of combos, buff digimon, still have combat skills, etc.), Commander (Basically a buffer of entire party, can operate almost as a guardian), Healer (for lack of a better name, they are the main damage people, lol jk.). Dual-Classing could be a possibility and maybe even a suggestion to players.
    Talent trees are more organic, and we have the Bleach and One Piece d20 RPG's demonstrating that d20 =/= class-based. They can even be organized by "class"! I can see Strategist and Commander almost being the same tree, for instance, branching between single-target "just as planned" moments and full-party "the enemy's gate is down!" ones as you climb higher up the tree... but that shouldn't preclude the Tamer from being able to take restorative talents, or combat-oriented ones. Just have a few major trees and pretty much every possible build can go on between them.

As for tamers being able to fight, I understand they're supposedly young kids, but I do think there is a place for them to fight, and weapons could become commonplace. Also as they're the digi destined I think we can assume augmented abilities and such.
    The "Digi-Destined," or Chosen Children, were specifically the group in Adventure (not 02). A kid who happens to have a Digimon is just a Tamer. I think it'd be up to the GM and whatever mood he wants to set which term is used in the campaign, but it'd be better to use "Tamer" in rules text, as it doesn't set up the expectation of PC steamrolling as readily.

In advance I think it would be best if players were following a line beforehand, as most Digimon do have determined In-training, rookie, champion, ultimate, and mega forms, and then leave the rest up to the GM, for example if a tamer with agumon following basic line through wargreymon comes across an item allowing an additional evolution, that's absolutely fine with me.

As for digivolving, I think it would be easiest if it served as 2 main things. First off as a stat augmenter, there should be a set bonus/formula added to stats while in a different form. Obviously the bonus would increase depending on form of the digimon. However I do think we also need to add in different skills and abilities, as they are changing, and Hawkmon can't fly as Shurimon but can as Aquilamon, so obviously they should have different skillsets.
    So, "shell programs" (read: templates), basically? At least in the case of evolving into other Digimon of the same family? I can see following default lines working this way (your Agumon -> WarGreymon example includes each one building on the Child form's attack, to whit Pepper Breath -> Nova Blast -> Tera Force and Mega Claw -> Dramon Destroyer), but there might be some oddities with some oddball lines that way...

On that note, will we be pre-statting Child Digimon for player use? Might be a bit overwhelming just dumping players into the "build your own" corner.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

No. Digidestined was the dub translation of "Chosen Children" and that is everybody who had a Digimon in Adventure and ADventure 02.

It was also used in the Dub of Frontier a few times, but for the most part those kids were called the Legendary Warriors, sharing a Dub Name with the Ancient 10
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kobold

I know D20 and the WoD Storytelling/Storyteller systems the most, I also am only familiar with the first four seasons of the anime and even then it's been years, but I'll pitch in my two cents.

As much as I like White Wolf, Storyteller isn't so good for type of game featuring mons with a mostly linear progression. It's too "flat" in a sense, and might not be good enough and isn't good enough to portray the progression of Digivolution.

The d20 systemis had the advantage of most everyone here being familiar with most of it (Classes, Races, ect), because we're on a board the started due to a comic that features 3.5.

One thing I wouldn't mind is that in addition to "tamers" we should allow the option to either forgo "partners" in essence, playing a digimon or doing something similar to what Frontier did.

With this in mind, I think it'd be a smart move to categorize different types of player into classes, assuming we go for a d20 or class modeling system. Another advantage is that you could break down "people who have digimon partners" into lesser groups or subclasses or archetypes. "Destined", "Tamers", ect, but the point is that people who have digimon follow their own mechanics with slight differences in boosting.

Also, another advantage is leveling allows us to define the power a digimon can progress in a linear fashion, set up evolution trees, ect.

I think most of us are familiar with templates, and that can work quite well.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-01-31 at 02:36 PM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

We can even make talent trees for digimon. that way people aren't scared off of choosing the one they want because it doesn't fit into a specific type. We could just do basic Damge/Support/Defense with flashed up names but make them to keep things interesting.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, im gonna toss in my two cents for Digivolution. I think we need to remember that when they Digivolve it isnt permanent, they just go up a "level" and stay that way for a Scene. Also i think we need to have something in place to stop PCs from always going "maximum power" as in the Anime the dont always go straight to mega. Maybe going up one stage takes one round? That way it takes 3 rounds to get to Mega, not a huge negative but i think most PCs would try to win at a lower power level than just jump straight to max.

As to the Digivolution paths, i think that PCs should pick which form they get when they attain the proper lvl/XP amount, and then go from there. EX Agumon could go Greymon or Meramon, but once he picks hes "locked" in to that path.

As for Attacks, most Digimon have 2-4 Signature attacks, otherwise they just use "basic attacks" EX clawing, biting, tail slapping ect. So maybe their signature moves should have some sort of cool down, maybe 1d4 to 1d6 rounds depending on power?

We can even make talent trees for digimon. that way people aren't scared off of choosing the one they want because it doesn't fit into a specific type. We could just do basic Damge/Support/Defense with flashed up names but make them to keep things interesting.
    This is a good plan, Pokemon Tabletop United has all sorts of feats and various abilities pokemon can acquire, and Digimon are, in general, more intelligent than Pokemon so i see no reason why we couldnt make a list of "general talents" that all Digimon could take.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2015-01-31 at 03:31 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    No. Digidestined was the dub translation of "Chosen Children" and that is everybody who had a Digimon in Adventure and ADventure 02.
    Because it worked differently. And from the look of things, 02 is being retconned out of existence anyway.

"Tamer" is still less weighty than "Chosen Child." The latter should be used only at the GM's discretion, if only to prevent players from assuming they're supposed to steamroll everything just reading the book.

...I do, however, like your handy list of archetypes/sub-archetypes (though I prefer "Bonder" for the Frontier/Bio-Evolve group for some reason)~

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Because it worked differently. And from the look of things, 02 is being retconned out of existence anyway.

"Tamer" is still less weighty than "Chosen Child." The latter should be used only at the GM's discretion, if only to prevent players from assuming they're supposed to steamroll everything just reading the book.

...I do, however, like your handy list of archetypes/sub-archetypes (though I prefer "Bonder" for the Frontier/Bio-Evolve group for some reason)~
    Wait, why would they do that? I loved Armor Digivolution.

Edit: I just checked Wikipedia, so take this with some salt, but it seems as if Adventure 2 isnt completely retconned.

Anyway i also think Tamer works better, seems like a more general term, while Digidestined has more "weight".
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2015-01-31 at 05:02 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Wait, why would they do that? I loved Armor Digivolution.

Anyway i also think Tamer works better, seems like a more general term, while Digidestined has more "weight".
    It's only rumor at the moment. They were showing bits from a new season that included the Adventure kids, but nothing from 02's been seen so far.

And the general consensus is that this is a good thing, between Daisuke being, well, Daisuke and generally poor plot.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

It's only rumor at the moment. They were showing bits from a new season that included the Adventure kids, but nothing from 02's been seen so far.

And the general consensus is that this is a good thing, between Daisuke being, well, Daisuke and generally poor plot.
    Ya, Davis was, well Davis, but as long as they keep Armor Digivolution im happy. Speaking of which we should totally include it.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Armor evolution will be prevalent in these versions, remember the core book will probably contain info on all of these, so that the GM can use evolutions at their own discretion. There's no saying that armor evolution, using cards, or biomerging can't exist in every game. OK. So if we think both tamers/digimon should operate via a talent tree system, lets get people theorizing the talent trees while someone comes up with how combat should work, I think d20 works best.

I'll personally volunteer for talent trees, i think I'm best suited for that.

If you want to volunteer for combat post in here, and then start working on a template. Then post said template in this group so it can be gone over and we can modify talent trees around that.

If you want to help me on talent trees also please post, but post with an email I can use for sending over google docs.

As for digivolutions, I agree there should be a penalty for digivolving, as you don't want people to perma-mega, taking turns is a great idea, also if we have a stat on the tamer called "spirit" or something that could operate sort of like chakra in naruto, draining as they use abilities, or in the case of digimon, each turn the tamer's digi-spirit is drained by keeping their digimon in an evolved form, higher forms such as mega costing a lot of digi-spirit per turn. This mechanic would work because it would force tamers to conserve as if their digi-spirit runs out, they're stuck with a rookie digimon.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Im up for working on Combat, and as i said im for using Mutants and Masterminds basic combat system, as not using HP seems like a good way to go.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Im up for working on Combat, and as i said im for using Mutants and Masterminds basic combat system, as not using HP seems like a good way to go.
    I agree, lets make sure everyone else is on board, give people about an hour to reply to that, if no replies, go right ahead.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I agree, lets make sure everyone else is on board, give people about an hour to reply to that, if no replies, go right ahead.
    How about 24 hours? make sure everyone has a chance, also we can have decent debate about basic combat systems in that time.
    Show