1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default OOTS #G005 - The Discussion Thread

My copy of Gygax #5 arrived today, so naturally I flipped immediately to the last page.

The list of sir craig gag was brilliant. Especially the edition-curious 3.5 adventurer. The joke about forever homes was quite excellent too.

For the purposes of character appearances, we get V (non-speaking role), Roy, and Elan.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #G005 - The Discussion Thread

I liked the Mr. Phil Rodriguez/Mr. Jones reference. If there were other non-obvious references, or a reason that Vaarsuvius was looking at the list of sir craig, I missed them. What joke about "forever homes" did I miss?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    What joke about "forever homes" did I miss?
    Hellhound puppies. Looking for a forever home (they're immortal, so they really need a forever home).
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Got mine in the mail today.

Liked the fact that V actually stayed behind to check out the personals.
    Vote, vote, vote, vote for the best of The Order of the Stick strips by voting in....
    The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Voting is now underway for
    The Best of the Hundred (700-800 [Semi #1])

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe V's into the one with the owl familiar? On the one hand, sorcerer, so ew. Also V is married in this continuity (maybe). On the other, V might just completely miss any sexual subtext.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2015-02-03 at 11:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Well, just looking at the column and location V was studying (To judge by the outstretched hand), it looks like those hellpuppies might be getting a forever home, but that's just how it looked to me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramien View Post
    Well, just looking at the column and location V was studying (To judge by the outstretched hand), it looks like those hellpuppies might be getting a forever home, but that's just how it looked to me.
    I get the impression that there are supposed to be more posts on that board than the ones we can actually see. The one Elan mentions doesn't seem to be one of the ones we can see, and just based on the shapes we should be able to see them all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    I get the impression that there are supposed to be more posts on that board than the ones we can actually see. The one Elan mentions doesn't seem to be one of the ones we can see, and just based on the shapes we should be able to see them all.
    It could be part of the cut off 'extradimensional loft 4 rent' ad...

Probably not, bit it could be.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Maybe V's into the one with the owl familiar? On the one hand, sorcerer, so ew. Also V is married in this continuity (maybe). On the other, V might just completely miss any sexual subtext.
    Wasn't V's marital status changed when the Order was rebooted?
    Poor Durkon! May your corpse be interred by the tombs of your pappy, grandpappy, great-grandpappy, etc. (Preferably with a wooden stake driven through your heart, your mouth filled with holy wafers and your lips sewn shut with silver thread. )

"Confused about scrying sensor? Was mine."

Custom "OotS" Tiamat as Kool Aid Man Avatar by kpenguin. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    Wasn't V's marital status changed when the Order was rebooted?
    Indeed, in #G003: "Also, I think my long-established harmonious marriage has been retroactively abolished so that it never happened." It was a dig at the-then recent Spiderman plot, if I remember rightly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    Indeed, in #G003: "Also, I think my long-established harmonious marriage has been retroactively abolished so that it never happened." It was a dig at the-then recent Spiderman plot, if I remember rightly.
    I took it to be a dig at the Spiderman memory wipe (although that's a few years back now) but several people on the forum here pointed out there were several more examples of marriages being erased with DC's nu52 reboot, which is a lot more recent, and probably more fitting.
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm. Well, we know from recent tweets that Rich used to read Ambush Bug... Perhaps a DC origin is more likely. It'd be cool to know what comics he reads generally, I wonder if he's ever answered that question for an interview.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I think the comments about rebooting had little to do with current events and more to do with what happened during the reboots when Rich was younger. Notice Elan says that "if the kids grow up to take control of the industry...they'll reboot us again to match their memories."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar