New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Avengers Roll Initiative!

I've really enjoyed the webcomics about RPGs made with screenshots from popular films and tv shows.

Friendship is Dragons

DM of the Rings

Darths and Droids

But while I haven't found one for the Hobbit, I have stumbled upon another webcomic that has caught my interest:

Avengers Roll Initiative

It is pretty decent, and I'd recommend taking a look at it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Avengers Roll Initiative!

I got a good few comics into it before my computer froze, (im having computer problems) and it seemed like a fairly standard and enjoyable D&D version of popular culture. So far its about same old same old, you have the power gamer, the guy who cant pronounce anything, the guy who couldnt role play if his girlfriend was standing there naked holding a cop uniform for him to wear. And of course the DM trying to keep the story going despite all this. Its not bad, just nothing new aside from the setting.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I got a good few comics into it before my computer froze, (im having computer problems) and it seemed like a fairly standard and enjoyable D&D version of popular culture. So far its about same old same old, you have the power gamer, the guy who cant pronounce anything, the guy who couldnt role play if his girlfriend was standing there naked holding a cop uniform for him to wear. And of course the DM trying to keep the story going despite all this. Its not bad, just nothing new aside from the setting.
    You know what, now that I really think about it, I'd have to agree with you. So far, every pop culture D&D webcomic I've ever read have been pretty similar to one another.

One thing I would like to see is the player shenanigans happening out-of-character. Friendship is Dragons did that once or twice, but I'd prefer to see more of that.

Another thing I would like to see would be a Pop Culture webcomic that uses a different gaming system.
    One example would be an X-Men game run with the Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition rules.
    (Actually one of the things that pains me is that there are no Mutants and Masterminds webcomics. The only superhero RPG webcomic I've found was in Irregular Comic).

But I'm interested in seeing the direction this D&D Avengers webcomic is going.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. I dunno. I started reading, then they started retelling Thor. Meh? I would've really liked them to just have a page or two summarizing Blake's powergaming exploits, then to flash back to Avengers. It just feels like they're really iffy when it comes to pacing. Fun idea, though!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, thank you. i was in the middle of trying to get through Sluggy Freelance, and you pop me 2 bloody gaming webcomics on franchises i love!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    You know what, now that I really think about it, I'd have to agree with you. So far, every pop culture D&D webcomic I've ever read have been pretty similar to one another.

One thing I would like to see is the player shenanigans happening out-of-character. Friendship is Dragons did that once or twice, but I'd prefer to see more of that.

Another thing I would like to see would be a Pop Culture webcomic that uses a different gaming system.
    Essentially. The framing device was enough on it's own to get DM of the Rings through it's run, and that was fairly fast paced considering the amount of material it went through. Darths and Droids did a bit more by seeing the contextual structure of the films get twisted around while maintaining the same visuals, but I think it declined after it left the prequel trilogy. There's only so many D20 jokes or riffs on overblown player stereotypes one can make.

On a completely different note, Loki's first appearance? That joke would have been a bit funnier if a player had pulled it instead of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #7

They are making the backstory of all characters, apparently. Its fine methink. The Thor phase was a bit long, tho.

I didnt care for the Sherlock Holmes interruption. What was that for?

Anyway. Fun comic. Will keep on reading.

I cant waiy to see the reaction to Steve Roger's player when he will see the bunch of broken characters he is teaming up with...

8. - Top - End - #8

For the recors: Dragon is Friendship is pure awesome. I am hooked

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find the comic just fine. Consistence output shows it better than most of this type of comic that start up then just die. I like looking at all these different films and how they are building up to the current campaign.