New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #974 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    does Bozzok have no knees? I mean, I get that the boots are supposed to be knee-high, but there doesn't seem to be much leg left after that.
    It seems unlikely he rides a horse very much (a common reason for high boots). Maybe he likes them for trudging around in sewers?
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

GREAT Page. I somehow get the feeling that turning Crystal into a golem is going to bite Bozzok REALLY hard at some point.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by davidbofinger View Post
    It seems unlikely he rides a horse very much (a common reason for high boots). Maybe he likes them for trudging around in sewers?
    Actually, now that I look at it again, theyre the same height they were back in Greysky. Odd.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Plot exposition! Elan would approve.
    Bozzok and Grubby, ha.
    More gnome hats and a gnome with flower in her hair.

Thanks Giant!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    give him good reason to not cooperate with Guild, unless he somehow sees Haley stealing as more revenge-worthy than Crystal killing him.
    From Grubwiggler's point of view, bringing together all the people he hates - Bozzok, Crystal and Haley - means there's a good chance at least one of them will die. Even if he's not planning betrayal, it's a start. (This was a crucial plot point in one of Vance's Demon Princes series.)

Crazy ideas: What if it's not really Crystal in there, but a creature of Grubwiggler's, and the reason it chased them around the corner was so Bozzok couldn't hear it betraying him. And what if one of the characters figures out what's happened to Durkon by analogy with what was done to Crystal.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hm, interesting how Bozzok found Haley in random city pretty much immediately when she was travelling on an airship during colossal storm. That was some Epic grade tracking rolls.
    He knew they were heading towards the north pole with an airship. There surely are't many places where you can get a refuel on route.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

How does one pronounce "SCCHTRLK!!" anyhow?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Every now and then, you can tell when the Giant is just sick of the rampant speculation in the Playground. 'Here is a thorough and completely canonical explanation. Now for the love of God stop arguing.'

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, she isn't a normal flesh golem; there is something different in her creation. Good to know. I really want to see Grubwiggler backstab Bozzok in some way. Maybe he created Crystal to help get his revenge too?

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Man, all these gnomes wearing hats makes me think this is Gnome Fortress 3: Steampunk edition!
    I made my name too long, so just call me "AsteronI."

Spoiler: WW story
    Show
    About to die as wolf.
    Claims mason.
    Gets counter-claimed
    Baner dies by auto-lynch

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynard View Post
    How does one pronounce "SCCHTRLK!!" anyhow?
    With your internal organs and great pain.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Bwahahaha!! Love Crystal's threat, and the quizzical reactions to it.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    Every now and then, you can tell when the Giant is just sick of the rampant speculation in the Playground. 'Here is a thorough and completely canonical explanation. Now for the love of God stop arguing.'
    Lol. My thoughts EXACTLY.
    I expect to see some Author Commentary in the next book on this very page; "Now everyone on the forums had their panties in a twist with what Crystal was, how she got there, and who brought her back. There was so much arguing and speculation, I decided "Screw IT!" and just cast 'Summon Plot Exposition!"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Who is 'Starshine's ally', dead Roy?

And have people argued over HOW exactly they managed to keep Crystal's skills?

I like how there's always time for a joke. Or 2.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-02-02 at 09:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I really love Bozzok's jacket. Those are both the simplest and also best pockets ive seen in comic form.

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    A lot of questions answered.....
    Nice exposition without it feeling forced.

I'm still curious about what species Grubwiggler is.
    I'd say he is the eggman, but he may also be the walrus.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #46

Beholder

Hmmm... I wonder how Bozzok plans on countering the rest of the Order?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder how Bozzok plans on countering the rest of the Order?
    Scroll of Expeditious Retreat?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post

I adhere, I thought the exact same while I was reading

A lovely strip, great exposition and references to clarify this messed up issue. I liked the last joke very much, simple and strong, refreshengly reminded me of the humor in the first hundreds of strips.

Newbie question, though: is there such thing as "crystal golem" in any D&D manual or it is just a pun based on Crystal´s name? If such creature exists, is she, in fact, a crystal golem?
    Last edited by Brumagris; 2015-02-02 at 09:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

RangerGuy

Also, I was sure Grubwigler was killed to write him off the comic, his death seems kind of pointless now. Especially seeing it give him good reason to not cooperate with Guild, unless he somehow sees Haley stealing as more revenge-worthy than Crystal killing him.
    I think his cooperation is based on the fact that Bozzok could easily... let's call it "dispell the Raise Dead cast on him". He may try to backstab Bozzok when the opportunity arises (maybe the Crystal Golem has an override that turns control back to him?), but right now, he might as well cooperate and get yet another enemy out of the way and lull Bozzok into a false sense of security in a single move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by William Fox View Post
    Lol. My thoughts EXACTLY.
    I expect to see some Author Commentary in the next book on this very page; "Now everyone on the forums had their panties in a twist with what Crystal was, how she got there, and who brought her back. There was so much arguing and speculation, I decided "Screw IT!" and just cast 'Summon Plot Exposition!"
    No. More like when I introduce something that's not immediately apparent, I always have a plan for, at some point, explaining what's going on—it's just that everyone spends all their energy arguing about it from the moment it shows up that by the time I get around to explaining, everyone else is so sick of arguing and speculation that they project their feelings on to me.

I'm explaining these things now because to not do so at some point would be a glaring omission, nothing more. What people speculate about on the forum doesn't really matter to me very much. If I really just wanted to shut up forum-goers, I would just post a clarification here, not spend comic time explaining something that I don't think needs explaining.

For example, people have been confused about how Bozzok found them, and I assure you no explanation is forthcoming in the comic beyond the information already revealed, because it can be easily deduced and it doesn't need further dwelling upon for the story to make sense.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, too much exposition.

thog want return to action
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-02-02 at 09:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Spamalot in the Playground

To the folks wondering: finding Haley is easy, Bozzok had enough of her hair to make Grubby a wig. Certainly more than enough to pay for a quick scrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    The real cliffhanger: Is going around a corner a bigger problem for Bozzok's ability to see the fight, or Crystal's ability to figure out Haley's location?
    I was totally thinking it could be either or both of these

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    So, she isn't a normal flesh golem; there is something different in her creation. Good to know.
    That was kinda obvious from the fact that it had class levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

Nice! Update! I like Grubwiggler's open mind about deals -even if deals with thieves and thieves' guild had never ended alright with him- Also, I'd never understood why Bozzok prefer Crystal that much. He's clever enough to know she's "dumber than a brick", no matter how good as a killer she is/was.
    "It was a dark night that Thursday morning..."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Also, I was sure Grubwigler was killed to write him off the comic, his death seems kind of pointless now. Especially seeing it give him good reason to not cooperate with Guild, unless he somehow sees Haley stealing as more revenge-worthy than Crystal killing him.
    used:
    My thought was that he was a minor character (at least in the webcomic), and he only got killed off in the print edition so most readers of the webcomic probably won't know about his death (I knew from talk on this forum). So maybe Rich simply decided he wanted him after all and that he could safely have such a character rezzed without running the risk of cheapening the deaths of major characters. [Also he can use it to show that Bozzok is high-level (commanding such resources) and mention Bozzok's motivation (Haley's supposed hoard.)]

I enjoyed this strip, some good jokes. I guess the Gnometown arc is going to be longer than expected...

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by davidbofinger View Post
    From Grubwiggler's point of view, bringing together all the people he hates - Bozzok, Crystal and Haley - means there's a good chance at least one of them will die. Even if he's not planning betrayal, it's a start.
    I like this
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

26. - Top - End - #56

Wait, she got high a lot? She really is a Crystal Meth golem? That was my joke guess!
    Last edited by Breccia; 2015-02-02 at 10:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    A lot of questions answered.....
    Nice exposition without it feeling forced.
    I think most readers would find it far more forced than, say, any conversation between any two named female rogue cast members (to chose a totally random example).

But it was useful exposition nonetheless.

28. - Top - End - #58

MindFlayer

Anyone else think that Bozzok comes across as "evil-er" than previously? He seemed a lot more "practical evil" before. This is probably his true colors showing.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Exposition is everyone's job, so says Elan. Otherwise it will happen during an important action scene.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Anyway, is it just me, or does Bozzok have no knees? I mean, I get that the boots are supposed to be knee-high, but there doesn't seem to be much leg left after that.
    Those are thigh-high boots, I think. The same kind that cowboys wear.

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Who is 'Starshine's ally', dead Roy?
    Bozzok should have met all of the Order + Celia already, except for living Roy.
    Last edited by M.A.D; 2015-02-02 at 10:19 AM.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"