1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dark Magic Rebound I: My hand does WHAT after it falls to the ground?

Hi playgrounders, the goal of this game is simple, to come up with a large list of ideas of what happens when magic goes wrong, it can be anything ranging from the silly, (your hand now has the intense need to grope anything that comes nearby), the minor and frigthening cosmetic, (your eyelids turn into small tendrils that curl and uncurl around your eyes when you blink), or the horrific and disturbing, (you vomit up all your blood, which then forms into a humanoid shape that your mind transfers to). The rules are as follows:
    1. You the normal 3 post rule
    2. You must number your ideas, and continue the list, for example if a poster leaves off at #4, your post must continue at #5.
    3. No more than 5 ideas per post, leave some ideas for the rest of us wizards
    4. It's preferred that you should be comfortable with people using ideas in this thread (possibly your own) in their role playing games, and if you aren't please say so, no judgement will be bestowed.
    5. If you are going to use this stuff in a game, let the rest of us know, it could be fun to hear about! I think this thread will make for a fun (and dark) list of magical rebounds to appear in a game.
    6. And while it's not required, have fun! Go nuts! Be descriptive, but please follow forum rules.

Any questions should be sent to me in a private message or in a post, and they will be answered and or dealt with.
    I guess I'll start this thing off with the examples above

1. Your hand becomes possessed with a minor demon, causing it to grope all creatures that come nearby
    2. Your eyelids become small tendrils tipped with tiny teeth that constantly curl and uncurl in a spiraled fashion when you blink
    3. You spew all of the blood and ichors from your system, which transforms itself into a humanoid shape and your mind/soul are transported to it
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2015-02-02 at 02:03 PM.
    Come share your magical mishaps with the whole family!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"
    trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Dark Magic Rebound I: My hand does WHAT after it falls to the ground?

4. Unlike Jenny from the Block, you forget where you came from.
    5. You turn into the newt version of a human centipede (newtian centipede?)
    6. You fall into a deep, undisturbable sleep, wracked with nightmares.
    7. Your top half is paralyzed.

Behold! The Monster Compendium

My Homebrew.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature. .pw

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Magic Rebound I: My hand does WHAT after it falls to the ground?

8) your fingers grow longer
    sonneteer, lord of chivalry, illusionist
    My Homebrew:
    True Duelist
    Mutagenic Hulk
    The Vorpal Warrior
    All hail the white space, for from it all threads and posts are shaped.
    Guaranteed Trap finding for less than 40gp
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

4. - Top - End - #4

What spell was that? It would help a lot to say which spell was used.

9) Teleport- You're deep inside a mountain. Really inside. You can't move, you can't breath...

10) Teleport again- right into another person. You just murdered him. People at wherever you teleported from will watch his bits appear and fall to the floor.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-02-07 at 09:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

11. Grease - An ooze's soul got caught by the spell just as it was departing this plane. Your grease is now sentient, mobile, and hungry.

12. Wall of Iron - The spell works fine, and a large amount of iron is summoned in a wall-like shape. Oh wait, it's molten iron.
    My homebrew

Awesome stirge avatar by Cuthalion.
    Jormengand made me a race!

"Once I dreamt I was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with myself and doing as I pleased. I didn't know I was myself. Suddenly I woke up and there I was, solid and unmistakably myself. But I didn't know if I was myself who had dreamt I was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was me."
    -Zhuangzi

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

12 Invisibility - You turn invisible... to yourself and only yourself.

13 You eyes leave your head, tendrils growing out from behind them, and begin to fly after you choking you with their tendrils.

14 Your spell conjures forth verminous creatures from beyond the veil of reality which hunger for your magical power.

15 Time Stop - The duration increases to (from your frame of reference) permanent, only ending when you die; of course to everyone else it was only a split second.

16 Teleportation magic - You arrive inside out.
    Half Peanut Dragon Wizard by Kurien

Second edition of the ancillary contest for feats, spells, soulmelds, and the like is up and open. Please feel free to participate, or talk about it here.

Voting for Ancillary Contest II: Follow the Arrow

My homebrew

Also I'm a stick.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

17 Intangible - your spell is executed to perfection, and you have no physical presence in the world. Unfortunately, the spell does it's job too well, and gravity fails to keep you from flying off the planet.

18 Teleportation - turns out your momentum does not end when you cast this spell, which is bad news when you attempt to use it to escape free-fall. A small group of travelers notice you suddenly appear by the roadside and watch as you immediately SCRUNCH into the ground. They assume you must have gotten a god REALLY angry and move on.

19 Your fingernails grow in reverse.

20 Teleportation - what is it with you and this spell? Anyways, you pop into a space occupied by another again, however, this time you fuse with them briefly and you both become horrified at the monstrosity you've become before simultaneous heart attacks take you both out.
    Spoiler: Past Avatars:
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar 1
    Show

First avatar by linklele.

Spoiler: Avatar 2
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

18: You suffer from an intense case of flatulence for the next twelve hours. In addition, each time you break wind, you randomly expel rainbows and butterflies.

19: Every idiom you speak becomes reality. For instance if you say, "it's raining cats and dogs," then cats and dogs begin to fall from the sky; or if you remark, "I'll be a monkey's uncle," you become a monkey.

20: You summon forth a ten-inch pianist, complete with a miniature piano, who happens to be a bit of a jerk.

21: You reverse your alimentary tract.

22: You transmute you skin into cheddar cheese.

1782. I will remember we're playing 4th edition and stop using my imagination.
    - From 1975 things MR. Welch is no longer allowed to do in an RPG.

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh cool this is getting replies! That idea for mentioning what spell you use was a good idea too!

23. Magic missile: the spell begins to ricochet like crazy without stopping, hitting everything nearby if in a confined space (including you and your allies, it never misses)

24. Enervation: Your body shrivels and weakens, leaving you with the appearance of a wight or ghoul

25. True strike: your eyes take on the appearance of blue glass lenses, everything you look at is blue, and sunlight gives you headaches

26. Your tongue grows a mouth and a mind of it's own. It only speaks french for reasons unknown.

27. Daylight: as the eldritch words of power escape your tongue, the spell itself is cast on your tongue. Every time you open your mouth you annoy people who don't like light, it's not enough light to harm anything but boy is it annoying!
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2015-02-11 at 06:48 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

10. - Top - End - #10

28: You turn into a small Gollum-like creature and are dropped off in Gollum's cave. (Soon Gollum is mayor of a small and very strange town . . .)
    29: Cheese for everyone!
    30: You start crying every time you hear the word 'peanut'
    31: Blue toy poodles appear and follow you around.
    32: Your hands begin to plot against you.
    33: You fall in love with a painting.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

34: Dragons are attracted to your delicious scent. Did I mention they want to eat you?
    35 - Haste: A single part of your body speeds up moving out of sync with the rest.
    36 - Wish: Your wish is posted on the Your Wish Granted with a Twist thread and granted a session late.

Second edition of the ancillary contest for feats, spells, soulmelds, and the like is up and open. Please feel free to participate, or talk about it here.

My homebrew

Also I'm a stick.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

37. Light: The light appears in front of your eyes instead wherever you wanted to have it. Have fun being blinded!
    My homebrew

Awesome stirge avatar by Cuthalion.
    Jormengand made me a race!

"Once I dreamt I was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with myself and doing as I pleased. I didn't know I was myself. Suddenly I woke up and there I was, solid and unmistakably myself. But I didn't know if I was myself who had dreamt I was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was me."
    -Zhuangzi

13. - Top - End - #13

38: Tongues - you reeallly don't want to know
    39: Fear - the spell reverses, from now on you are always timid and start your sentences with "um"
    40: Endure elements - congrats, you can no longer be harmed by selenium, manganese, or chromium
    41: Shout: AAAH! HUAAAAGH!! AHUUUAAAAAAAAAH! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
    42: Finger of Death: your middle finger on your non dominate hand becomes bony and skeletal.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

So that's what happened to Link. :DD
    Dubbed Most Honourable Aggregate of All Things Targ in the Title Thread. Also dubbed the Mage of Light, which is really cool.

Earned a special cookie for reaching 50 in the Count to 50 thread. Got a waffle too!

The human avatar is thanks to the talented The Mad Hatter; the ponytar, the incredible Dirtytabs.

I'm a White Mage in real life too! Here are my spells. BE WARNED: SOME OF THEM ARE REAL AND WILL AFFECT YOU IF READ. http://merlinsalchemyoflight.blogspot.co.uk/

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

39 Din's Fire (or Fireburst): The fire goes in you instead of out. Take double damage.
    40 Lightning Bolt: The skyfather is angered at your use of his weapon. You get a -2 on saves against hostile divine magic and cannot benefit from beneficial divine magic until you appease him.
    41 Finger of Death: Your channeling of necrotic magic invokes not a controlled release of deathly energy but an aspect of death itself. A dread wraith appears and attacks you.

My homebrew

Also I'm a stick.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    13 You eyes leave your head, tendrils growing out from behind them, and begin to fly after you
    In 4e, that is a thing which can happen by chance in the Far Realms. Just by standing around too long, your limbs can be disfigured in every which way. It is Disturbingly sick. I think only one in twenty is safe.

42. Wish - Your wish is answered by the collective sadism of the Giantitp Forum members. Honestly, what were you thinking?

43. Mage's Disjunction - All of your magic is undone retroactively and everyone you thought you killed with it comes back to kill you, everyone you brought back or healed dies, and all of your spells no longer work.

44. Orb of Annihillation - Goes about as well as you would expect. GiantProtipitP: Never use this unless you want to die.
    Last edited by FallenFallcrest; 2015-03-09 at 09:11 AM.
    In DnD you find a lot about people. I found out that my friends are willing to let someone die in order to salvage and sell the arrow piercing his chest.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

45. Burning Hands - See the name of the spell. Ouch.
    46. Your hair begins to grow at a rate of 1 inch per minute.
    47. Lightning Bolt - You summon a cute little puppy named Bolt. Petting him is contraindicated.
    48. Raise Dead - You raise the dead. Approximately 5 feet into the air.
    49. The fingers on your dominant hand become colored in consecutive colors of the rainbow. All 7 of them. Did I mention that you now have 7 fingers on your hand? Because you do, and you will have a Dexterity penalty with that hand until you learn to use the new ones.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    I started with a false start on a planet seconds before it collided with another planet. When it started for real, it was on a prison transport ship that got shipwrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I want these guys in a campaign.

'Hey, pretty necromancer, wanna post for a photograph?'

'Could you hurry up? I wanna see her insides!'

18. - Top - End - #18

50: magic missile - there's a giant nuke! And it's headed this way!!
    51: plant growth - all grass in (1d6) miles grows to 5 feet in length (or 5 more feet)
    52: Sympathy - You will not kill and will try to prevent your allies from killing
    53: sleep - good night, you pass out
    54: enervation - your body shrivels and blackens, and falls to the ground with a sickening shriek.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies