New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Pieces of Eights - Fantasy+Pirates

Welcome to the first thread discussing Pieces of Eights!

What is this wonderful comic you call Pieces of Eights? It’s basically a pirate adventure in a D&D world!

You follow the comedic and often chaotic actions of Mary-Anne Morgan, a former slave turned pirate captain, and her band of misadventurers (which include a lich bard, a pacifist lycanthrope and a gnome who wants to blow everything) as they quest for a legendary item so powerful it will not only change them but they entire world.

There are currently 425 pages and it updates M-W-F! Some crazy stuff is about to go down so I figured there was no better place to talk about it than here!
    Last edited by Elusivemike; 2015-12-07 at 01:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pieces of Eights - D&D Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivemike View Post
    Welcome to the first thread discussing Pieces of Eights!

What is this wonderful comic you call Pieces of Eights? It’s basically a pirate adventure in a D&D world!

You follow the comedic and often chaotic actions of Mary-Anne Morgan, a former slave turned pirate captain, and her band of misadventurers (which include a lich bard, a pacifist lycanthrope and a gnome who wants to blow everything) as they quest for a legendary item so powerful it will not only change them but they entire world.

There are currently 425 pages and it updates M-W-F! Some crazy stuff is about to go down so I figured there was no better place to talk about it than here!
    Well, loosely D&D, but Yeah, it is pretty good.
    The Bard was a major surprise to me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Thatch is one of my many reasons for loving bards, and is exactly the kind of thing I would expect from a bardic necromancer lich: pure awesomeness.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, I caved, and decided to read it. All of it. At once. May not have been the most productive use of time, but it sure was enjoyable. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Okay, I caved, and decided to read it. All of it. At once. May not have been the most productive use of time, but it sure was enjoyable. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
    Same here. This comic is REALLY GOOD. Very very cool.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I thought that beginning of the comic kinda just fell together, with the grace of an average D&D game(aka everyone meets in an inn), but the story improved and the world pretty interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    It also seems like with the first death of the party things are about to heat up. I wonder who did it. Poor Beardy

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Brance_a_Lot View Post
    I thought that beginning of the comic kinda just fell together, with the grace of an average D&D game(aka everyone meets in an inn), but the story improved and the world pretty interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    It also seems like with the first death of the party things are about to heat up. I wonder who did it. Poor Beardy
    I actually find the world pretty boring and cliché. But the characters are really nice and interesting, and the atmosphere is cool - gritty but funny at the same time, it's strange.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, the architect is probably the elf. I kind of expected the dwarf to be the peasant because I have a few theories for the skull thingie and none are positive. I also think the mystic is Captain Morgan, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure that Thatch is either the criminal, or not one of the eight.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I really wish that during that deep archive binge I just did there hadn't been that HUGE SPOILER on the bottom of the comic every page.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    I really wish that during that deep archive binge I just did there hadn't been that HUGE SPOILER on the bottom of the comic every page.
    Oof... that's gotta hurt. Now I'm really glad I finished my reading of it when I did.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Whelp, that sucks... I am so sorry you read that, Spojaz. I completely forgot that the main-blog gets repeated on every comic page... I've added a spoiler tag for anyone else that starts reading the comic.

Also, thanks for all the comments, feedback and love! I really put a lot into this comic and I'm glad it's being well received.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I'm pretty sure Thatch isn't one of this Eight, but a leftover from last cycle. Also Deus-Ex-Machina skull and the Architect are the same person.

Does anybody have the link to the page with the crazy prophecy with the roles? I forgot where in the story it is.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    I'm pretty sure Thatch isn't one of this Eight, but a leftover from last cycle. Also Deus-Ex-Machina skull and the Architect are the same person.

Does anybody have the link to the page with the crazy prophecy with the roles? I forgot where in the story it is.
    A few pages back from where we are now, when Thatch is speaking.

The skull being the architect does make sense; however I still think the most likely is the elf.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Huh. No wonder I couldn't find it. http://piecesofeights.com/index.php?comic=404

Spoiler: My Thoughts on Roles - possibly uninteresting
    Show
    Mystic is clearly Roberts (dragon wizard) after today's strip.
    Vandal was never not Grynn (rainbow bomber).
    Philosopher is Maynard (the elf you don't remember, the one with the book).
    I kinda hope Low ends up as the Criminal.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Skull's don't have blood. But then does Thatch?

Mystic is someone who changes her morals.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redeemed Autumn? If she could become good then it would be a changing morals. But maybe that is too obvious?

Soldier does as told: So Raina fits...

Gyrrn sounds like Vandal...

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler
    Show
    I kind of think that at most ONE of the crew is not one of the eight, and I don't think that's even that likely. Thatch could be a stranger, because of his story. However, the way this prophecy works, the eight are supposed to meet and travel together, and interact meaningfully BEFORE this turning point. That means there are very few people actually eligible for the roles.
    The Peasant is the only confirmed role so far.
    The Architect is the big reveal, so it could be almost anyone (I would exclude Thatch, Morgan, the dragon, the gnome (although...))
    I like the Mystic being the dragon, that fits very nicely.
    The Philosopher is most likely Aly, especially if she's not the Mystic.
    The Vandal is likely Grynn. However, we could be surprised here - she might be the Soldier. So far, she didn't leave the path.
    I think the Noble is Reina. If the elf is not the Architect, he could be the Noble. In a way, Thatch also works.
    The Criminal is set up to be Morgan, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Thatch.
    The Soldier is, I guess... whoever's leftover.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Stuff About the Roles
    Show
    Hopefully someone better at analysis than myself can do something with this information. Here's my thoughts on things:

1) The skull said that the Peasant's death would spark in-fighting among the members of the group, resulting in two deadlocked sides; I believe this deadlock is the argument that's sparking in the most recent comic, setting up Roberts and Morgan as the two leaders. Which side will the others pick?

2) It may depend on their alignment: the skull took care to mention how much their law-chaos alignment would affect their actions in the debate to come, as well as how the least trustworthy were those not fully dedicated to either side.

3) The only clue we receive from the skull about any roles is that the Mystic is a deceiver who cuts all ties they've made. Given how Roberts is only acting against Morgan to help his family (and is only being asked to do so because of his status as an ex-soldier) it's a reasonable conclusion that he isn't actually the Mystic. Whether he's the obvious Soldier or if his role in the story is more complex and less obvious than that, I'm not sure.

Spoiler: Available Roles
    Show
    Architect
    Criminal
    Mystic
    Noble
    Peasant
    Philosopher
    Soldier
    Vandal
    Spoiler: Relevant Comics
    Show
    http://piecesofeights.com/index.php?comic=404

"Blood of the Peasant,
    whose role is to die.
    Blood of the Philosopher,
    who sees through the gods' eye.

Blood of the Soldier,
    who does what they're told.
    Blood of the Noble,
    who funds the quest with gold.

Blood of the Vandal,
    who leaves the path to burn.
    Blood of the Mystic,
    who makes the moral turn.

Blood of the Criminal,
    who makes an example of things.
    Blood of the Architect,
    the one pulling the strings.

With these drops absorbed,
    their story is set up.
    Their sanctity entwined
    within the Ronciever Cup."

-Thatch
    http://piecesofeights.com/index.php?comic=365

"Those with lawful hearts
    consistently side with what's true...
    and the ones of chaotics souls,
    will do nothing but lie to you.

But those are the constants,
    the ones that never veer...
    It's neutral pieces, Nicole,
    who's wavering egos you should fear."

-Skull
    http://piecesofeights.com/index.php?comic=364

"Some within the group start to question or even fear what certain members might do with all the power an item might give. All the while, the challenges become greater, the tensions intensify, and the pain becomes overwhelming.Then, while they're at their weakest, the Peasant dies.

Though the Peasant's death does help complete the item, it also drives a wedge between the team. And as the two sides in a deadlock of morality, it is the Mystic who becomes the deceiver, breaking every bond they've made. The quest is over, the fellowship lays shattered, and the path of a new future is written."

-Skull
    http://piecesofeights.com/index.php?comic=405

"So the Criminal is...put on display...and yelled at? While the Architect becomes a giant...and gives everyone a hug?"

-Read
    Quote Originally Posted by Read's Thoughts on the Roles

Architect: Thatch, Read, Maynard, Robert

Vandal: Morgan, Grynn

Soldier: Roberts, Maynard

Criminal: Grynn, Read, Morgan

Peasant: Grynn, Aly, Raina

Noble: Raina, Maynard, Aly

Philosopher: Me, Aly, Maynard

Mystic: Roberts, Aly, Thatch
    Spoiler: Side-Notes
    Show
    http://piecesofeights.com/index.php?comic=364

"Though the Peasant's death does help complete the item, it also drives a wedge between the team."

-Skull
    http://piecesofeights.com/index.php?comic=365

"Adventure well, good dwarf, and think hard on those roles...for you will be the most vital piece of all."

-Skull
    Sunuva...her death was foreshadowed!

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

My guesses:

Spoiler
    Show
    Architect = Maynard
    Vandal = Grynn
    Philosopher = Aly
    Criminal = Morgan
    Noble = Reinia
    Mystic = Autumn
    Soldier = Roberts (even now he's doing what he's told to do. Just changed who he was following orders from)

My reasoning:
    Criminal and Vandal are obvious. If it's someone else it'll be an incredible twist.

Noble is Reinia for lack of a better role for her. And her mysterious, might actually be a princess, past that was hinted at.

Philosopher is Aly because she's the only one who actually has a connection to the gods and a belief in them. However she might be the Mystic, and end up betraying Maynard to side with Chaos over Law.

Soldier is Roberts because he's always following orders or some oath or something. He hasn't really changed his morals so Mystic is out.

Mystic is Autumn because I don't think Thatch is any of them. He isn't the Architect because he didn't want Read to die on the island and the Architect did. I think he's a wild card who is trying to mess with the ritual to change things.

Architect is Maynard because he's been all about fate, planning, and destiny from the beginning. As well he didn't look happy when Read came back from the fire island alive.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Spoiler: Stuff About the Roles
    Show
    Hopefully someone better at analysis than myself can do something with this information. Here's my thoughts on things:

1) The skull said that the Peasant's death would spark in-fighting among the members of the group, resulting in two deadlocked sides; I believe this deadlock is the argument that's sparking in the most recent comic, setting up Roberts and Morgan as the two leaders. Which side will the others pick?

2) It may depend on their alignment: the skull took care to mention how much their law-chaos alignment would affect their actions in the debate to come, as well as how the least trustworthy were those not fully dedicated to either side.

3) The only clue we receive from the skull about any roles is that the Mystic is a deceiver who cuts all ties they've made. Given how Roberts is only acting against Morgan to help his family (and is only being asked to do so because of his status as an ex-soldier) it's a reasonable conclusion that he isn't actually the Mystic. Whether he's the obvious Soldier or if his role in the story is more complex and less obvious than that, I'm not sure.

Spoiler: Available Roles
    Show
    Architect
    Criminal
    Mystic
    Noble
    Peasant
    Philosopher
    Soldier
    Vandal
    Spoiler: Relevant Comics
    Show

Spoiler: Side-Notes
    Show

Sunuva...her death was foreshadowed!
    Wow, this is a fantastic amount of work! Really handy after a long binge-read.
    I'm still trying to put Roberts into the right role though... Not sure if Mystic or Soldier.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pht3v3n View Post
    Wow, this is a fantastic amount of work! Really handy after a long binge-read.
    I'm still trying to put Roberts into the right role though... Not sure if Mystic or Soldier.
    I always like being appreciated!

I'm convinced Robert's not the Mystic; the skull referred to the Mystic as "deceptive", and while Robert is sort-of betraying the group, he's being pretty up-front about it.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

More evidence for the "Maynard=Mystic" theory I've got going. Lovely to see that at least one of my thoughts wasn't necessarily a dead-end.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-04-03 at 05:56 PM.

My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    More evidence for the "Maynard=Mystic" theory I've got going. Lovely to see that at least one of my thoughts wasn't necessarily a dead-end.
    Eh, I'm pretty sure he's the Architect. And a betrayal implies that he wasn't ever on the side of pure order to begin with.

Aly has a much better chance of being the Mystic, though I don't think it's her either. (But I think Maynard is trying to get her to become the Mystic)
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This should be fun. Well for the Reader at least. I doubt this Scene will end well.
    And our were-cat witch gets the best line. "I won't do anything.", exact words at its best. The follow up was a bit obvious but it is what makes it great. Poor Thatch. Or poor Aly and Autumn, depending how this ends.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Everything about this whale makes me giggle. Moar bearded philosopher whales with monocles!
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I get the feeling that whoever or whatever is responsible for the tests does not want the participants to succed. Maynard for a test of memory? might work, the justice group could go very wrong, Morgan and patience are not very closely associated and Grynn and sanity aren't even in the same bookshelf. This should be entertaining.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And Morgan starts to get angry about her test. Since Maynard said something about wrath in relation to her and her test I think that might be the key to solve this. But I have to disagree with her - the don't have a great time.

26. - Top - End - #26

Started reading it... been binge reading it for the past couple of hours. Up to Session 11, like what I've read so far. Good stuff.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    This should be fun. Well for the Reader at least. I doubt this Scene will end well.
    And our were-cat witch gets the best line. "I won't do anything.", exact words at its best. The follow up was a bit obvious but it is what makes it great. Poor Thatch. Or poor Aly and Autumn, depending how this ends.
    As a lich, what can she do? Thinking about it, if he wanted to kill her he could do it. Still wondering why he killed her coven of witches.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New page. And Morgan wins her trial. Lets hope the others go that well too.

Re Starbuck_II: Sure there isn't much Aly could do to Thatch but it was still an impressive moment from her. And she didn't even lie- she did nothing, not even stopping Autumn from attacking. And it showed that while she is still the nicest teammember she has developed her darker side a bit.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

My guess is that Thatch came across the coven after it was decimated by something else, and he techbically killedthe coven by putting themoutof their misery (and saving their memories so their story could live on).

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30

Read the latest comic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Mary is ready kill Low. I wonder why she always held back before then? I suppose it was lingering affection or something akin to Stockholm Syndrome. The Skull did say that the Mystic would be a betrayer, but the big question is, who would the Mystic betray? Order or Chaos? If the Mystic betrays order this time around, it could easily be Roberts.

I happen to believe that Maynard is good choice for the role of the Architect. He has the skills to pull it off.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.