1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default DMFA III: 45 days is too short of a timeout

So we are now filling a 14 year old "Chekhov's gun". 14 years ago, we had foreshadowing of Regina seemingly being all loving and cuddly with Dan while at the same time being bloody and murderous. Now we see how it actually happened.

The he said/she said history started a few episodes back, at http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1836.php

(well, back at http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1820.php)

and now concludes today at http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1841.php

Previous threads: five months ago http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ull-plot-ahead
    and ten years ago http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rry-Adventures
    So you'll insert the horse into the Large Hadron Collider next?
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: DMFA III: 45 days is too short of a timeout

In my eyes at least, it's not doing much to make Regina more sympathetic. :/

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1844.php

The "he said/she said" flashback retelling seems to be ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    In my eyes at least, it's not doing much to make Regina more sympathetic. :/
    I think it is making Regina more sympathetic. Consider her point of view: a teenager, who finds herself in a stranger's house, with a guy who's turning out to be creepy, and as you're trying to leave, he grabs you and tells you not to go. You react with something slightly stronger than a slap, you're getting all agitated, you're trying to leave, and suddenly someone else touches you.

You react in a way perfectly appropriate for your kind, only to find that you're among people that are made of tissue paper -- oops!

What do you do? Go home, and try to let your dad take care of things. All said, that's probably reasonable.

Honestly, is it Regina's fault that there was such a massive "it's a creature, assume the worst!" bias, or that she did not have training in how to pull her punches and be ultra-weak around weak beings when her whole clan/family/race is all about being strong?

If anything: Regina seems to show some sign of trying to understand Dan, while Dan refuses to make any attempt to understand Regina.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #4

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1844.php
    What do you do? Go home, and try to let your dad take care of things. All said, that's probably reasonable.
    Understandable, yes. Reasonable, no. A good person would have responded to that deed by trying to correct it (via healing/resurrection, both of which exist in some form) or atone for it. A normal person would have responded with a major psychological crisis, at the very least. Regina... stayed the same spoiled, sheltered kid for a decade afterwards. (Sorry, I don't know the exact time frame.)

And if the point of the arc was "people raised by evil people tend to be evil," well, it's still not making her sympathetic. It just means I won't cheer if/when she dies. :P

(I did read the entirety of your post, I just chose a point of disagreement that would make my reply easier to read.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If anything: Regina seems to show some sign of trying to understand Dan, while Dan refuses to make any attempt to understand Regina.
    Archived binge and ... looking at things, I'd like to see your reasoning at that.

When she runs into Dan at Mom's, her first reaction is to smack him with a serving tray to fall back. Then reflect on all the things she had done to him (kill a dozen beings, then try to kill him and his friends). Her plan was to get a weapon and try to kill Dan ... until he surprised her with the fact he could read her thoughts and find her. Then it was run and grab Uncle.

The next time they interact is at the party, and if it wasn't for the fact that there was both her boss AND a tri-wing cubi there, things probably would have blown up.

Oh, and Dan? I don't see why he would fall back to think about Regina's perspective when she killed Wildy's mom... then another dozen people ... then try to kill himself and his friends....
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Archived binge and ... looking at things, I'd like to see your reasoning at that.
    Dan's view on the situation of beings versus creatures and how creatures should be changed to fit the mold of beings shows no respect or understanding of the view of creatures.

Regina's view, on the other hand, makes it clear that she understood what Dan was saying, and actually tried to explain to him what he was failing to understand.

http://dmfa.katbox.net/comic/1839-te...lly-an-action/

Okay, rereading this page, maybe not. Still, Regina does have it right. Dan, whether he knows it or not, is saying something that a creature would take exactly the way Regina said -- fit the mold that beings expect.

Regina's view of "just go home" is absolutely the right view to take here.

7. - Top - End - #7

Goblin

Dan's view on the situation of beings versus creatures and how creatures should be changed to fit the mold of beings shows no respect or understanding of the view of creatures.
    If this were true, he would never have assimilated into the Academy so well. As it is, he's a literal trendsetter.
    Regina's view, on the other hand, makes it clear that she understood what Dan was saying, and actually tried to explain to him what he was failing to understand.
    She acknowledges that murder is bad, but she doesn't get why everyone makes such a big fuss over it. Still not sympathetic.

I'm also pretty sure no "trying to explain things to him" ever took place. They've met precisely twice in the comic -- first time Dan flipped out and tried to kill her, second time Dan flipped out and buried his head in some fluffy pillows. And sure, Cubi are telepathic, but I don't think that extends to communication via Rashomon homages.

Well, maybe some clans can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Archived binge and...
    Thank you for archive binging! This comic definitely merits it. Here's a fun story: I once met the creator selling at a convention without expecting her to be there, and completely fanboyed out. In my enthusiasm, I called tri-wings "supercubi," and have since been unable to think of them as anything else.

Also, a writer I love from a completely different field (gaming humor) is also a huge DMFA fan, has written a thousand-page fancomic, and has a tri-wing fursuit.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2018-06-15 at 01:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm reading through the archives now. I'm still in 2006, though, so I have a long way to go.

9. - Top - End - #9

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I'm reading through the archives now. I'm still in 2006, though, so I have a long way to go.
    Don't rush it! A surprisingly large number of seemingly one-off characters end up being important to the later plot, and you need some time to assimilate all the information.

Also, the sidecomics are good too. ^_^

Oops, wrong link. Here, towards the bottom.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2018-06-18 at 12:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

So...is there a reason that the chapter breaks just stop? The first 1383 pages are split into 30 chapters on the archive page. The chapters aren't all the same length, but all of them are under 200 pages and most are under 100 pages. However, the "current chapter" (chapter 31) has been running for well over five years and is nearly 500 pages and is still not done. Did she just decide to stop breaking the story into chapters?

11. - Top - End - #11

Goblin

I'm guessing the chapter breaks were all added long after the fact, and the author has now shuffled it so far down the list of priorities that she may as well have given up on it. It isn't the first webcomic to fall way behind in its archive page -- Tarol Hunt's Goblins has done the same.

It doesn't bother me, but if you sent her a quick email asking about the chapter breaks, that would give her more motive to update them.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

It doesn't bother me either, I just thought it was a bit odd that this chapter has been so much longer than previous ones. However, if the chapter breaks were added after the fact, then that makes it a lot less surprising.

In any event, I am now caught up with the main DMFA comics. I have yet to read any of the side comics, though I fully intend to do so at some point.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Over on katbox, the chapters go up to 38
    http://dmfa.katbox.net/chapter/chapter-38-party-time/

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. I don't even see any chapter indications on the katbox archive page. Where do you have to click to see the chapters?

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

On the individual comics' page. I could not find a way to get a list of the chapters, but from any given comic, I could go to that comic's chapter.

16. - Top - End - #16

Goblin

On the individual comics' page. I could not find a way to get a list of the chapters, but from any given comic, I could go to that comic's chapter.
    It's the "Archive" button between the navigation buttons.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

On MissMab, I see that archive button, but it doesn't list any chapter after 31.

On Katbox, I don't see an archive button between the arrows, and the one on the top goes to a "by month" list, rather than a "by chapter" list.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

On MissMab, I see that archive button, but it doesn't list any chapter after 31.

On Katbox, I don't see an archive button between the arrows, and the one on the top goes to a "by month" list, rather than a "by chapter" list.
    I'm having the same issue.

In other news, I really like the Dan/Falina interaction that just happened.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Oh yes. That wise pink poodle has a life lesson to teach.

But I'd rather revel in the awesomeness of Durkon defeating the vampire from the inside out :-).

20. - Top - End - #20

Goblin

In other news, I really like the Dan/Falina interaction that just happened.
    Me too! Also, the scenes were Dark Pegasus attempts to be a responsible guardian are always good for a laugh.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Dark Pegasus doesn't do hugs. Even if he DOES deserve them for moments like this.
    Let's Play Super Mario RPG
    Random Twitch Stream

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

http://dmfa.katbox.net/comic/1866-a-sound-strategy/

Biggs is trying to get in touch with Jyrras.
    Amber is too sick to draw properly.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1872.php

One of the best reasons to learn magic :-)

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

http://dmfa.katbox.net/comic/1883-it...-scene-change/

We've gotten Bigg's view on the whole thing, and his maturity, in the last few updates. Now, we're about to see his flashback.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Warning, incoming plot twist, warning.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no idea where Biggs is going with this flashback.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

We now know Bigg's Boon.

And, we know a little more about what Fae can do, and why they do/don't do.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I have no idea where Biggs is going with this flashback.
    Well, it explains how he became the leader of the powergamers.

Cause he LITERALLY has the ability to do anything if he can convince people he can do it.
    And when you're in a group where confidence and being convincing is a power in itself...

So he has all these powers because ... he's the leader of the powergamers. And the powergamers gave him power because they believed he had power.

Which is why Destania's with him, IMO ... because he effectively has the ability to defeat a dragon ... if the powergamers believe he can!
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2018-12-21 at 02:19 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

That is the ultimate abuse of Mab's gift.

I don't want to change the world myself; I want to make everyone realize that they have the ability to change the world. But only if you believe it can happen.

"abuse" isn't the right word. Note that this is exactly what Mab herself did. She could have done anything; instead, she gave Biggs the ability to use belief to change reality, and now Biggs is giving that to the world.

Dang, this is going to be an exciting final act.