New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Pieces of Eights - D&D Pirates

This looks promising. Fun times are coming. But I hope we see one of the other groups next. I want to know how their tests will end.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic. The philosopher is a new character? Or has this guy appeared before?

As for the question he gives Raina: The answer should be obvious. She should stay with Morgan and try to keep her under at least a bit of control (pointing her away from the commoners/ in the direction of deserving targets). I mean it most likely shows I don't qualify as good but I think you should always take the choice that makes you happier and I don't believe those options are as binary as the good Mr. Kidd paints them. And another thing: Why should she trust a complete stranger in a weird dimension that tests her for some obscure purpose.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post

As for the question he gives Raina: The answer should be obvious. She should stay with Morgan and try to keep her under at least a bit of control (pointing her away from the commoners/ in the direction of deserving targets). I mean it most likely shows I don't qualify as good but I think you should always take the choice that makes you happier and I don't believe those options are as binary as the good Mr. Kidd paints them. And another thing: Why should she trust a complete stranger in a weird dimension that tests her for some obscure purpose.
    Isn't that the lycanthrope that was in the tavern with Reina? Why doesn't she recognize him?
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I looked it up. Thats the guy Morgan & Co leave behind in chapter 3. Looks like him at least.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-06-12 at 05:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yesh, I read that before and for some reason my eyes totally glossed over the fact he called himself the Philosopher. Argh.

If that's true, then I suppose that puts a little ammo in Roberts being the Mystic...
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Actually the prophecy does make sense. Morgan isn't going to just go down without a fight, she will try to take down Captain Low, and the Prince, and they aren't going down without a fight either. And by taking out the system and not implementing a new one, well that creates a fair bit of chaos and disruption, leaving the country vulnerable to foreign nations and revolutionaries. All while only targeting people who deserve it.

But yeah, I hope Raina decides that if she's learned one thing from Morgan its that your life is what you make of it, and that you should fight for the future that you want.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New Comic. I just hope Raina made right choice. The story started with Morgans execution in progress but since the prologue ended before she did that doesn't tell us anything. Well it will be revealed at some Point. I will wait and expect the worst and hope for the best.

8. - Top - End - #38

New Comic. I just hope Raina made right choice. The story started with Morgans execution in progress but since the prologue ended before she did that doesn't tell us anything. Well it will be revealed at some Point. I will wait and expect the worst and hope for the best.
    Right choice for whom exactly?

Do you follow your passions, knowing that your actions will doom many or do you sacrifice your happiness so many will benefit? Be interesting to see Raina's take. Either way, I can't consider either outcome to be 'good'.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2015-06-17 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Iz not gud @ spelling

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Right choice for whom exactly?

Do you follow your passions, knowing that your actions will doom many or do you sacrifice your happiness so many will benefit? Be interesting to see Raina's take. Either way, I can't consider either outcome to be 'good'.
    Yes.

I think that staying with Morgan is the "right" choice. My reasoning is that she makes Raina happy and that the guys Morgan wants vengeance on kind of deserve what is coming for them. Sure this philosopher guy says that innocent people will suffer from it but he never says it will be Morgans fault. And who said anything about good? The quote says right not good. Good and right are not necessary the same thing.

New Comic. It seems Grynns test will be resolved next. I think the whales smugness is a bit premature. The only question is how Grynn will solve this riddle.

10. - Top - End - #40

New Comic. It seems Grynns test will be resolved next. I think the whales smugness is a bit premature. The only question is how Grynn will solve this riddle.
    I keep checking the archive instead of the home page. My vote is that Grynn makes a random comment and that's the answer.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I keep checking the archive instead of the home page. My vote is that Grynn makes a random comment and that's the answer.
    My vote is that the whale mentioning his name snaps Grynn's focus back to the name, and that proves to be the answer.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

My vote is that she blows the whale up to understand how he thinks and figures out the riddle!
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

TBH, the first thing that popped into my head was a smartass remark like "you said the riddles couldn't be solved by the world's best philosophers given an eternity to do so; why should I waste my time trying when I can just laugh at your stupid-sounding name?"

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    My vote is that the whale mentioning his name snaps Grynn's focus back to the name, and that proves to be the answer.
    Look's like Grynn is trying some rules lawyering.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you can't beat the riddle, beat the riddler.

Now I'm going to have to spend the afternoon re-reading this webcomic and see if I missed anything on my first read through.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic. Clever, Grynn, really clever. And very lucky that the whale made this mistake. With a bit more luck this counts as a a solution. The reaction seems to indicate that this is the case. Either that or it drove him insane.

16. - Top - End - #46

I half expected Grynn to say 'OBJECTION!' when she pointed her finger at the magic whale.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Grynn's figured out the secret to the riddles: since neither pure mortal logic nor pure space whale logic could defeat these riddles, it must take a combination of the two! Genius!

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #48

New comic is out, got a giggle out of Grynn's closing line. So, now it's down to Thatch, Alyonubis and Autumn right finishing their trail? A Trail of Faith and Justice?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It counted as the solution? I didn't expect that. Not really. Anyway that means there should only be one test left. We will see how that ends.

The Zelda melody is very fitting there. Is Grynns comment about summoning the phoenix a reference too? I think in Final Fantasy 8 (and maybe some other games too) there was an item you needed to use the phoenix summon. Or it is just something that fits Grynns line thought.

20. - Top - End - #50

It counted as the solution? I didn't expect that. Not really. Anyway that means there should only be one test left. We will see how that ends.

The Zelda melody is very fitting there. Is Grynns comment about summoning the phoenix a reference too? I think in Final Fantasy 8 (and maybe some other games too) there was an item you needed to use the phoenix summon. Or it is just something that fits Grynns line thought.
    Didn't Grynn and Thatch blow up a phoenix not too long ago?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

They seem to be taking on the roles of chaotic deities. Morgan won her trial by giving in to wrath rather than being patient after all, so Grynn won through confusion rather than intelligence.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

They sure did! It was awesome!

I think what Grynn in referring to is maybe the secondary (or primary, I don't know) ability each item has. The Tear for example can be used to destroy undead. (Maynard did this during one of the Fire Hockey games)
    The Tooth can cut through any material. (Maynard says it can "Carve a cannon ball like a melon")
    The Cup purifies any liquid within it. (Maynard mentions this. Maybe it'll make holy water or a healing potion of some kind...idk, it hasn't been used in any non-ritual way yet.)
    So perhaps it's The Quill that summons a phoenix and not an ability of the kobold shaman. I think I remember the phoenix being the aspect of the god Queltz or at least representing him/her/it.

I also kinda makes sense that all these items would have their own powers too. They were owned by gods, right?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I remember that part. I was just wondering if the idea to use the feather to summon it again was some kind of reference like the Legend of Zelda melody after obtaining the feather.

24. - Top - End - #54

New comic is a transition from Maynard's activities back to Thatch, Aly and Autumn.

Spoiler: Not sure if this is spoiler material... better to be safe
    Show

Aly's revenge beat up Autumn's Slayer Paradise and Thatch's Symphony, so there's that...

If Maynard dies writing the book, I will be sad. I don't expect it, but you never know.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

I think Thatch might even say the truth there. At least I think so. Wasn't there a flashback that showed he knew the coven? But why did he kill them? I hope there is more to this than one of his storys. We will see where this goes. That Aly won this poll gives me hope that all three of them survive this. On the other hand, if the other test are any indication acting reasonable is not the solution to the test.

26. - Top - End - #56

Thatch is going to need one hell of a story to smooth all this over and walk out alive. Then again, he is a bard, and that's kinda their thing.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think Thatch is saying the truth. Some of it at least. The only question is if Aly will believe him. I hope so, it should be entertaining to see where his plan leads. Autumn could be a problem for a peaceful solution, she seems very focused on getting her vengeance.

28. - Top - End - #58

Considering Thatch's barrier pretty much disintegrated Autumn's dagger, I'm not a hundred percent sure if she could do harm to him.

Did Autumn get a splice from Aly? I'm going to have to check again.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2015-06-30 at 07:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Well now it is up to Aly. Will she believe Thatch and give him the tear or will she try to keep it?
    And I'm still not sure I get Thatchs motives. Does he want to pervent that the book is activated or does he want to use it? And he has already done this quest in the past. That explains why he turned into a lich, it certainly is better than being bound to a ghostship for ever and it gives him enough time to fix whatever mistake he made.

30. - Top - End - #60

New comic is up. Maynard is in a real bad way now. Now, here we go: Can Aly find the Tear in time? And will Aly actually say the name of a God that killed her patron so long ago?