New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: is Crystal in the afterlife?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    The difference is, that was MOMENTS after. Perhaps the soul takes a round or two to go to the afterlife. (Which probably explains that Cleric spell whose name eludes me that instantly raises anyone if cast within a round of their death). But considering that her soul does not need to be in her body to remember who killed her, or presumably to remember the skills she had) I don't see why it's necessary.

Especially considering Grubby probably isn't powerful enough to cast a spell of a high enough level to wrench a soul from the afterlife.
    The body may remember its death, but a creature animated into it is unlikely to care about it's memories, assuming it can even access them, outside of what it can do with the skills.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The body may remember its death, but a creature animated into it is unlikely to care about it's memories, assuming it can even access them, outside of what it can do with the skills.
    It can if you order it to.

"Find and destroy the person who killed you"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It can if you order it to.

"Find and destroy the person who killed you"
    Ok. For starters, Golems are normally animated by an earth elemental spirit. Assuming they even recognize Crystal's body as being "you", it CERTAINLY isn't going to be angry about being killed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Especially considering Grubby probably isn't powerful enough to cast a spell of a high enough level to wrench a soul from the afterlife.

EDIT: Soul Bind is a 9th level spell, and it can only trap a soul a few rounds after death (one per caster level, to be exact). So to be able to get a soul after that time has passed would presumably be Epic.
    That's assuming Crystal refuses to return. Crystal has plenty of reason to return, having said she was planning to come back and kill Haley prior to dying. Raise Dead is merely a 5th level spell. Grubby can easily be a mid-level some-wierd-prestige or npc-class.

Also, evidence is that the soul doesn't merely stick around a few rounds and passes on but slowly loses its connection to its body and the Material Plane over time. This would explain why raise spells progressively require higher level spellcasters for longer time periods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think her soul was wrenched from the afterlife to make the golem...
    Why not? The ABD's was.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ok. For starters, Golems are normally animated by an earth elemental spirit. Assuming they even recognize Crystal's body as being "you", it CERTAINLY isn't going to be angry about being killed.
    I'm totally picking nits here, and I'm not sure why because I don't know if I even agree with this theory, but what I was trying to say was Buzzock could easily instruct the Golem to "attack the one who killed you with anger", but
    1) why would he do that? Psychological reasons maybe?
    2) why would he say the rage makes her stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    That's assuming Crystal refuses to return. Crystal has plenty of reason to return, having said she was planning to come back and kill Haley prior to dying. Raise Dead is merely a 5th level spell. Grubby can easily be a mid-level some-wierd-prestige or npc-class.
    Good point. Crystal certainly would come back to kill Haley, but why come back willingly as a mindless golem? She's probably not intelligent enough to know that she's stronger in this form, but maybe she is.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Darn, I was hoping no one would point this out.

However, it does give credence to the theory that you go to the afterlife pretty quickly. (She was reunited with her family moments after death, which took Roy days)
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-02-04 at 10:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Well...that's like zombies. They're big, dumb critters that try to eat your brain. Doesn't mean the soul goes back in them. No. Durkula is a special case. Crystal is in the afterlife like Roy was when Grubwiggler re-animated HIS body.(Remember that?)

Case closed!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Spamalot in the Playground

EDIT: Soul Bind is a 9th level spell, and it can only trap a soul a few rounds after death (one per caster level, to be exact). So to be able to get a soul after that time has passed would presumably be Epic.
    Haley teleported out shortly after killing Crystal, so we don't know how long it took Bozzok to find Crystal's corpse, or how much time Grubby's intelligent-golem-making-device needs in order to attach a residual soul. There's just too many unknowns here to definitively say "that's not Crystal's soul in there."

Quote Originally Posted by RighteousWarior View Post
    Well...that's like zombies. They're big, dumb critters that try to eat your brain. Doesn't mean the soul goes back in them. No. Durkula is a special case. Crystal is in the afterlife like Roy was when Grubwiggler re-animated HIS body.(Remember that?)

Case closed!
    Roy's golem was mindless and had no memories of his friends. This one clearly is neither of those things. Case still open.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-02-04 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Haley teleported out shortly after killing Crystal, so we don't know how long it took Bozzok to find Crystal's corpse, or how much time Grubby's intelligent-golem-making-device needs in order to attach a residual soul. There's just too many unknowns here to definitively say "that's not Crystal's soul in there."
    We know it was at least as much time as it takes to go to the Temple of Loki, get a cleric, go to Grubby's, raise him (1 minute) then get him to make a golem.
    (Creating this golem, according to the RAW, should take weeks, but we don't know exactly how fast Grubby's machine is, so it might just take a round)

Which, I can almost certainly say, is enough time that even a level 19 Cleric wouldn't be able to Soul Bind (which would be only 19 rounds, or a little under 2 minutes) , so my personal opinion is that "taking her soul forcefully" would have a similar restriction and therefore is off the table.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-02-05 at 12:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Spamalot in the Playground

We know it was at least as much time as it takes to go to the Temple of Loki, get a cleric, go to Grubby's, raise him (1 minute) then get him to make a golem.
    You're assuming Bozz didn't consider raising Grub until after he found Crystal - considering that her killing him was not part of the plan, he may have already set that in motion. So we still don't know for sure.

In addition, "rounds/level to grab the soul" is only a Soul Bind requirement. We don't know the time frame needed for Grub's machine to do the same thing.

So as I said, there are too many variables here to be sure.

(Creating this golem, according to the RAW, should take weeks, but we don't know exactly how fast Grubby's machine is, so it might just take a round)
    It was pretty fast at animating Roy (Celia's lightning boost notwithstanding) and I doubt Flesh Golems take considerably more time than Bone Golems to make, though I don't have the construction stats for the latter.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #41

So what other ways besides Ressurection can one get a soul to come back from the afterlife? Also, how long can one wait before casting Soul Bind on a corpse doesn't work?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    So what other ways besides Ressurection can one get a soul to come back from the afterlife? Also, how long can one wait before casting Soul Bind on a corpse doesn't work?
    Other similar spells such as True Resurrection, Reincarnation, and Raise Dead also bring back souls from the after life, with various penalties and for various costs. Soul Bind must be used before 1 round/CL has passed since the subject died.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #43

I don't have an answer to the OP. I will say that I strongly suspect that whatever the Order comes up with for an answer regarding Crystal will strongly inform their philosophy on how to feel about Durkon/Durkula's loyalty. I could see arguments going either way.

If the Order realizes that Crystal's soul is departed and something else has taken up residence in Crystal's body and is animating her, using her memories, the Order could say, "Huh. Sounds like bad news for Durkon." On the other hand, if the Order notices that Crystal is somehow the polar opposite: Crystal's anima is powering the golem, operating its crude controls, and her personality is filtered through the golem's low intelligence, they could realize this is the opposite of the behavior seen with Durkon... somehow.

That there happen to be two re-animated characters cannot be a coincidence, I feel. But I've been wrong before.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

We know a vampire traps the soul in the body, but there's a difference: the instant a body dies, it's already known if it will become a vampire or not. So if a vampire drains a person completely, then the soul never leaves the body, just immediately becomes trapped, waiting the 3 days (or less) needed for the new creature to inhabit the body.

However, Crystal died, and her soul went immediately to the afterlife. Later, her body was turned into a golem. I don't think her soul was wrenched from the afterlife to make the golem, so I think it's just her body which remembers her language and skills from her life (like with Speak With Dead)
    It is a nearly ubiquitous human tradition to treat the dead corpse respectfully in order to help the soul to its destiny. Or desecrate the corpse to interfere with this process. There is no common human Real Life rule that says desecrating a body after N days is okay. The soul has its own time frame which does not necessarily make any sense to us living humans.

So when you are trying to concoct your tome of "Physical Laws of Undeath" appropriate for a particular fantasy world, I believe one must kept the above in mind.

tl;dr -- I am not sure what "immediately" means. Do souls traveling to eternity adhere to your personal calendar?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Intelligent undead retain their souls. I see no reason why this would be different for a golem.
    Because Golems normally don't involve the soul at all in D&D. Most are made from soulless inanimate objects in the first place and a person made into a golem can still be resurrected, cut off a small piece and you're good to go.

If Crystal can be resurrected, as is NORMAL for flesh golems, then her soul can't be in the golem.

If Crystal can't be resurrected, then that was an added and unusual thing for golem creation which usually only happens with undead creation.

And the ABD was made into an undead, funny that, we KNOW she couldn't be raised or resurrected while undead, and true resurrect doesn't involve the body at all so it follows that all forms of undead do in some way involve the soul.

It's in the rules for coming back from the dead that you can't do so while undead. UNLIKE, say, golems, which don't use those rules and where we KNOW in comic that being made into a flesh golem has no effect on the soul.

Now, Grubwieller's mysterious extra special secret sauce intelligent flesh golem may use the undead rules, or it may just have a clause that it returns the soul to the body. If this were my campaign and I were writing the rules I would in fact rule that the soul is in the golem.

But we don't know. We do know that even WITHOUT the soul returning the body retains access to the knowledge it had in life and we do know that being made into a construct usually doesn't prevent the soul doing other things. There's no requirement that the soul be there in what we've seen.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That was undead. Totally different thing.
    Last edited by veti; 2015-02-27 at 12:15 AM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I think Crystal-golem is way too much like her usual, alive self for a mindless golem, so her soul is definitely on board. It can't be compared to Durkon's case, as whatever animates Crystal's body has no reason to pretend to be real Crystal.
    I don't see how it could interfere with her hypothetical resurrection, one way or the other golem would have to be killed before bringing her back to life.
    As for the need of her soul's consent to being her back as golem, I think "hey, you can have another go at killing Starshine" would be more than enough to get it.

So no, I don't think she's in the afterlife. She looks like she is well, maybe not exactly alive, but definitely kicking in her own body.

18. - Top - End - #48

My reply was about a soul being pulled out of the afterlife.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

19. - Top - End - #49

Now that we know Crystal Golem is in constant pain, does anyone think that means she's still in there?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    Now that we know Crystal Golem is in constant pain, does anyone think that means she's still in there?
    Possibilities:
    1. Crystal's soul, instead of the usual "earth elemental", is directly controlling her golem body. This is excruciatingly painful because the body itself hasn't been repaired, the condition it's in it should be dead, but the soul and body are being tied together by some of the most evil magic we've ever seen, and can't separate. (Incidentally, if there was any debate about Grubwiggler's alignment, this should pretty much peg it.)
    2. Crystal's soul is currently in Tartarus (or wherever) being tormented, and merely channeling its rage and expressions through the golem. Then the "pain" is just what Crystal would be experiencing if she were just-plain-dead. But unlike most people there, she can tell us about it.
    3. Crystal's soul is bound inside the body, used by the animating spirit in the same way as Durkon's. In that case, the "pain" it feels is presumably inflicted by the other spirit, or the magic that holds it. I don't buy this myself - why would the animating spirit be mad at Haley?
    4. She's lying. The whole "NOTHING BUT PAIN" line is just a tactical ploy to distract and demoralise Haley.
    Last edited by veti; 2015-03-22 at 04:13 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd be really surprised if it's any of those besides 1, honestly.

(Also, yeah, you make a good point about what that says about Grubwiggler. I'd mostly just focused on Bozzok's role myself, but they both come out of this looking seriously evil).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I'd be really surprised if it's any of those besides 1, honestly.

(Also, yeah, you make a good point about what that says about Grubwiggler. I'd mostly just focused on Bozzok's role myself, but they both come out of this looking seriously evil).
    Without suggesting anything about Grubby - because I will preemptively concede he's totally evil - do you think he knew what would happen?
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Without suggesting anything about Grubby - because I will preemptively concede he's totally evil - do you think he knew what would happen?
    "Knew" - maybe not, I guess it depends whether anyone has ever done this before (and written down what followed).

I'd guess he thought "Hey, that's a cool idea. I wonder what'll happen?" He probably did it For Science. In which case, I'll grant him +5 points towards Lawful, but not Good, if he actually bothered to take detailed notes of what happened.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Unless he knows for a fact that the golem does not have Crystal's soul in any way there, I'd peg the creation of the thing to be close enough to undeath to count as an evil act. He'd be pulling her soul from the afterlife, against her will, and putting it in a mockery of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.