New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Snowfall: Equestria - A Snow Day in the Winterland [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Charger turned around with another swish, and walked back towards the filly. This time there was hostile intent, colder than the snow around her.

"I don't care about what you know," she said. "I don't care that you took the damn necklace. I care that you tried to bargain with me."

As she came, she undid the knot on her cream white overcoat, letting it fall to the snow. Underneath was a vest of burnt umber, buttoned with orange-gold, wrapped through with wires.

"And if we are going to bargain then I can mention that I heard that gunshot as clear as day and I am not an idiot or blind either. Which means that my friends just got hurt and you are directly responsible. If we are going to bargain," she said, looming over the filly, faint sparks of electricity running along her hooves, "then I have a claim on you equal to the hurt on them."

"Or," she said, bending down a little, "you can come to my farm. I'll serve you a meal and you can eat your fill. We can talk about whatever we want and you can leave whenever you're ready. We can be ponies to each other, not threats operating at hoof's length."
    "What gunshot? W-what the hay are you talking about?" The filly drew back from you, frozen in fear and wide-eyed. You were scaring the living hay out of this kid, that was clear as day. "You're crazy, lady! I only stole a stupid necklace, I swear!"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    "What gunshot? W-what the hay are you talking about?" The filly drew back from you, frozen in fear and wide-eyed. You were scaring the living hay out of this kid, that was clear as day. "You're crazy, lady! I only stole a stupid necklace, I swear!"
    Charger put a hoof around the filly's shoulders and frog marched her around the corner of the alley. She'd see what happened from a good distance.

Charger concealed her own surprise that the victim was Jade and not Snow Eyes.

"I know you didn't mean for this to happen," she said softly. "But it did."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-03-05 at 06:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

You heard the deep booming of the gun just as you shoved Snow Eyes out of the way. You felt the shot like the snap of a whip in your head and a burning streak along your flank before your body went limp. [3 harm - 1 armor, 2 harm total, plus 1 s-harm: any action you perform is Under Fire]
    It hurt every bit as much as she thought it would, and more. Jade Sun was not the kind of pony who could take bullets with dashing grace, instead she crashed down on to Snow Eyes with no attempt at hiding her pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    What the hay? They were in the middle of town. And Angel was bleeding. "No, you idiot!" I'm shouting as Angel is on top of me. I meant it too because why the hell would the doctor ever take a bullet for me?!
    Jade Sun did not feel inclined to argue this point. She was every bit the idiot Snow Eyes accused her of and she knew it. Had she not just ranted at her how no bloodied pony would come through her door again today? And then she goes and does this. Jade Sun took herself very seriously and therefore the irony of the situation was nearly as painful to her as the bleeding wound.

At first she did not try to move. She was in a lot of pain and the bullet had pierced her pride as well as her flank. She just lay sprawled over Snow Eyes, wings spread wide and face down in the snow. Well done, Jade, you f*cking idiot.

She soon stirred, however; it occurred to her that Charger might have heard the shot and turned back, and Jade was suddenly extremely conscious of the comment she had made earlier and the fact that she was now lying in a heap with Snow Eyes. With a face wrinkled by winces, she tried to get up from on top of Snow Eyes and back on her hooves despite the pain.

[Suffer harm: 2d6+2=7
    Acting under fire: 2d6+1=6]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

"Seriously, are you trying to kill yourself? Stay still!" I'm standing, back on my hooves, and while I'm still trying to clear my head of that vision, I'm also putting myself right up against Jade to support her. Dumb idiot filly isn't going to collapse on her own hooves while I'm around. I'm actually intent enough on keeping her from goddamn well killing herself that I'm not even blushing as I press my body right up against hers.

[roll to assist on acting under fire (2d6+2)[12]
    Last edited by Anarion; 2015-03-05 at 07:54 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Charger put a hoof around the filly's shoulders and frog marched her around the corner of the alley. She'd see what happened from a good distance.

Charger concealed her own surprise that the victim was Jade and not Snow Eyes.

"I know you didn't mean for this to happen," she said softly. "But it did."
    The filly was stiff as a board as she was marched around the corner, and by the time you got there, she was actually crying. "I didn't do any of that," she pleaded. "I just took her necklace. I'm sorry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    She soon stirred, however; it occurred to her that Charger might have heard the shot and turned back, and Jade was suddenly extremely conscious of the comment she had made earlier and the fact that she was now lying in a heap with Snow Eyes. With a face wrinkled by winces, she tried to get up from on top of Snow Eyes and back on her hooves despite the pain.

[Suffer harm: 2d6+2=7
    Acting under fire: 2d6+1=6]
    [roll to assist on acting under fire [roll0]
    With the support from a friend, walking straight was just about something you could manage. Now, the question is, where do you go?

6. - Top - End - #126

The filly was stiff as a board as she was marched around the corner, and by the time you got there, she was actually crying. "I didn't do any of that," she pleaded. "I just took her necklace. I'm sorry!"
    Charger turned her around, gently now. "I know," she said. "I'm not mad. Come on, it's not safe here."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

With the support from a friend, walking straight was just about something you could manage. Now, the question is, where do you go?
    Angel steered her hobbled steps straight towards home, everything else would have to wait for now. She needed to see if the world could perhaps stop spinning, or at least slow down before she dealt with Scrapper.

She just needed to get these wounds dressed, perhaps have Kicker check they were clean, then sit down and just... close her eyes for a little bit. She was going to have that bread, yes. And some coffee. All would be fine. But damn it hurt.

Even though her pride demanded she made it home on her own four hooves, she was just about lucid enough to realise that was not going to happen and allowed herself to lean heavily on Snow Eyes as they walked, but she said nothing for now.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Snow eyes spent most of the walk with her eyes darting around. She had a lot of things to draw her attention. She kept looking at Jade, making sure that she was giving Jade proper support and there was no danger of a fall. She glanced through the snowy streets, the dark alleys with their overhanging icicles, the frozen roofs. Her eyes were peeled for any sign of the mystery shooter or for death stalking their moves. And then she kept having to glance at herself and make sure that her heart wasn't pounding out of her chest. She'd never been this close to Jade for so long. She hoped Jade couldn't tell how nervous she was.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Blood runs down your wings, soaking feathers and seeping into the blades of ice, coloring them a deep red like savage cut rubies. The blackness seethes and froths with each drop, and the twisted shapes wave their struggling limbs at you, hungry for you.

You buffet and slash at them, but the grace of your ruby blades no longer seems to keep them at bay. The vile darkness seeps into the blades, and they grow hard and black as obsidian, red streaks of blood pulsing deep within, smothered by the black. The black river wants it, seeks it, but you've got two wing-fulls of red, and there's a whole river of black.

You can no longer tell if the river is winding downwards or upwards.
    So. The river hungers for blood, yet not even a hundred of her could hope to quench its gluttony. Eclipse struck the hardened blades on the ground, shattering them completely. Fighting through the pain and the pull, she flapped and flapped until her bit of land rose free of the grasping slime and she blinked back into the storeroom.

If she could not satisfy the river - and why on this earth would she ever want to? - then she would starve it. And deal with this bomb to boot.

First, she cut into the ground around the black ichor, excising out a whole chunk of snow. It hadn't been very long; the slime couldn't have gotten very deep. Next, she stuffed one of the bags she hadn't ruined with the slab of tainted snow. She piled in a little more loose snow, making an icy sandwich to stall the ooze's advance. Hauling bag and bomb over her back, she hurried outside, shouting to Crystalshy not to enter the storeroom until she got back. We'll call all that Phase One.

Phase Two involved a quick flight up, over, and away from the walls. Once she was far enough away from the walls, she'd drop the sack into the snowdrifts below. With the fall, it should bury itself pretty deep. As if that wasn't enough, she'd place her bomb on top of the bag. A short flight up, a clean shot from her ice caster, and *KABOOM*. The bag gets blasted into the bowels of the earth, buried beneath a small mountain of snow. No matter how long that goop can hold out, it'll never find any life down there. Ever. In the end, it'll either shrivel up into nothing or freeze harmlessly.

Now, that's a lot of stuff to do, but the only thing Eclipse is racing is the nastiness in her bag. If it eats through the snow and burlap, she's going to have a painful flight. But how well does the rest of it work out?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2015-03-08 at 11:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

On your way back, you saw Eclipse leave the infirmary in a rush, high-tailing it for the the hills with a bag full of snow. That looked fun.

The infirmary was no fun, though. Ponies looking stabil. Bell Bottom tied down securely. Assistants cleaning the place up nice. Gag!

What are you going to do?

Charger turned her around, gently now. "I know," she said. "I'm not mad. Come on, it's not safe here."
    "W-where are we going?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    So. The river hungers for blood, yet not even a hundred of her could hope to quench its gluttony. Eclipse struck the hardened blades on the ground, shattering them completely. Fighting through the pain and the pull, she flapped and flapped until her bit of land rose free of the grasping slime and she blinked back into the storeroom.

If she could not satisfy the river - and why on this earth would she ever want to? - then she would starve it. And deal with this bomb to boot.

First, she cut into the ground around the black ichor, excising out a whole chunk of snow. It hadn't been very long; the slime couldn't have gotten very deep. Next, she stuffed one of the bags she hadn't ruined with the slab of tainted snow. She piled in a little more loose snow, making an icy sandwich to stall the ooze's advance. Hauling bag and bomb over her back, she hurried outside, shouting to Crystalshy not to enter the storeroom until she got back. We'll call all that Phase One.

Phase Two involved a quick flight up, over, and away from the walls. Once she was far enough away from the walls, she'd drop the sack into the snowdrifts below. With the fall, it should bury itself pretty deep. As if that wasn't enough, she'd place her bomb on top of the bag. A short flight up, a clean shot from her ice caster, and *KABOOM*. The bag gets blasted into the bowels of the earth, buried beneath a small mountain of snow. No matter how long that goop can hold out, it'll never find any life down there. Ever. In the end, it'll either shrivel up into nothing or freeze harmlessly.

Now, that's a lot of stuff to do, but the only thing Eclipse is racing is the nastiness in her bag. If it eats through the snow and burlap, she's going to have a painful flight. But how well does the rest of it work out?
    *KABOOM*

And the deed was done. Hopefully that would take care of the problem.

Looked like the gates were closed while they fixed the wall, or whatever they were doing, but as a pegasus you barely even noticed. Sometimes, those wings came in real ... handy.

So what's next on your plan?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

On your way back, you saw Eclipse leave the infirmary in a rush, high-tailing it for the the hills with a bag full of snow. That looked fun.

The infirmary was no fun, though. Ponies looking stabil. Bell Bottom tied down securely. Assistants cleaning the place up nice. Gag!

"Hey! Hey! All of you, get in here. Angel needs help, right now! Move it!"

Then in a softer tone of voice, Snow Eyes turned to look at Jade. "Okay, Jade, we're almost there, just a little further, filly. Where do I put you?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

12. - Top - End - #132

"W-where are we going?"
    There was an explosion in the distance. Charger glanced in its direction briefly. "Home," she said.

The Oanic Gardens were a beautiful place. The old metal sign on the ancient iron fence had rusted off two of its letters but the disrepair was deceiving; the interior was as beautiful as anything you'd see. Once it had been a huge, sprawling park where all the most exotic plants of the old world were grown and cultivated together, and it kept its dignity even though the winter.

A network of sun-lamps and local enchantments provided ideal growing conditions for a vast variety of plants from all over the planet and gave the gardens an unusually warm feeling. Groundskeeping robots trundled across the landscape, tending to the plants, encrusted with litchen and nested in by birds. Despite their efforts the gardens had grown wild, and many sections were extremely dangerous. The most valuable and exotic spices and fruits were within these depths, and only the most gentle or brave ponies could recover them. Many local plants - like the ubiquitous snow flower - were escapees from the gardens.

The central area, where Charger and her family lived, was beautifully cultivated. The farmhouse was the old visitors centre, a modern construction of glass wrapped around in vines that were stained red-gold with a forever autumn. Around it were fields of wheat, corn, barley and sunflowers growing in a riot of variety. Here and there were speckled small gardens of other fruits, flowers and vegetables. There was no monoculture here; there was a little bit of everything. Here and there streams ran, never more than slightly frosting at the edges.

At places in the gardens were old statues, stone figures on plinths, surrounded by glowing overgrowth. Overall the impression was one of managed chaos; it was a lovely place, though some found it unsettling.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

*KABOOM*

And the deed was done. Hopefully that would take care of the problem.

Looked like the gates were closed while they fixed the wall, or whatever they were doing, but as a pegasus you barely even noticed. Sometimes, those wings came in real ... handy.

So what's next on your plan?
    Later, at around noon, Eclipse had organized a big workshop for the ponies of Windbreak, though some were more likely to call it a sermon. Her volunteers had been busy collecting wood, nails, and other woodworking supplies. When the time came, she'd give a little speech, show them how to do some basic craftsmanship, then supervise their work on a much smaller sample project. Crowds for the warmth, play for the hooves, and hope for the heart; these sorts of things always had a good turnout. Word on the street was Miss Spurs might even be in attendance. Wouldn't that be a fine to-do?

But before any of that started, she was going to take a rest.

Arcing over the mighty walls, the pale pegasus gently spiraled down until she drifted into a little hole in the wall. Literally. Dozens, if not hundreds of ponies had carved out homes in the thick walls of Windbreak. Those who couldn't afford a piece of the earth dug out a living where at least they'd be safe from the winds. The past few days, she'd been staying with one such family who were gracious enough to offer her a room with a window. Amid featureless walls, she touched down gingerly. Her legs and wings throbbed from the sudden flight; she'd have to fix those holes in her coat soon. She wrapped herself up in her blanket, pulled over the little tray of scraps the family had saved up for her, and ate a quiet meal. Slowly, the aches in her bones faded away, as she filled her mind with the sound of her chewing. The beat of her heart. The hum of the winds. The distant glow of the sun.

Alone.

At peace.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade Sun looked up at the sky with satisfaction as she saw Eclipse take off.

"A pony of her word," she commented.

Oh the humiliation, being escorted in like some patient. She was hurt and embarrassed and to make matters worse her place was still heaving with damn ponies. Ponies in the infirmary, ponies on the floor, ponies in her bed...

"Hey! Hey! All of you, get in here. Angel needs help, right now! Move it!"
    "I'm fine I just need to sit do-ah!" Jade's attempt at standing on her own had quickly resulted in her having to clamber on to Snow Eyes again. She closed her eyes and tried to put aside the worst of her embarrassment.

Then in a softer tone of voice, Snow Eyes turned to look at Jade. "Okay, Jade, we're almost there, just a little further, filly. Where do I put you?"
    She glanced at Snow Eyes and nodded in the direction of some comfortable cushions lying on the floor where she could sit - one of the few spots in here that wasn't occupied by a pony.

It was like a damn obstacle course in there negotiating a path between hooves and tails. Indignant anger was rising in the Angel and she quickly erupted;

"That's it, every stable pony - get out!" She gave them a dark glare. "Unless you're dying or unconscious, LEAVE!" she roared.

"Crystalshy, give me a hoof cleaning and dressing this. Snow Kicker, could you ask that stallion you spoke to earlier this morning to come over, but first, some hot coffee for two. And the bread." She looked up at Snow Eyes "Assuming you could do with some? It's freshly baked," she offered without a smile.

Once patched up Angel was intending to not move from her infirmary if she could help it. She'd had enough of being shot and escorted around like a nonagenarian, and the room would have to stop spinning before she'd feel inclined to show her face outside. That didn't mean her plans had to stop however, she would just have to call in some favours.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, that'd be great." We sit down, amid all the frantic ponies. I can't believe Jade is playing this down so much. "So, Jade, do you make a habit of pushing ponies in heavier armor than you out of the way of gun shots?" I smile and laugh, just joking, but then turn a little somber, "and what did you see, anyway?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, that'd be great." We sit down, amid all the frantic ponies. I can't believe Jade is playing this down so much. "So, Jade, do you make a habit of pushing ponies in heavier armor than you out of the way of gun shots?" I smile and laugh, just joking, but then turn a little somber, "and what did you see, anyway?"
    Jade Sun looked up at Snow Eyes in mild but pleasant surprise at hearing her real name used by a pony other than Charger. Most ponies didn't bother.

"Hmph." She tried to hide a small blush by dabbing at the wound on her head without any real purpose other than deflecting attention. "No," she muttered, "can't say I do." She didn't join in the laughing.

"I didn't see a lot." Jade was clearly much more comfortable with this subject. "It was just a split second's glance and then I was somewhat distracted by my overwhelming desire to scream like a filly." She laughed a little at herself and shook her head only to instantly regret it, turning a slightly darker shade of green at the sudden motion of her head.

"Some pony with a gun aimed at your head. Dark colour I think, or dressed dark, or maybe it was just the shadows. The gun was big though, as in, really big. Long. With all sorts of weird stuff on the... y'know, the bit at the front," said Angel the weapons expert.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Jade Sun looked up at Snow Eyes in mild but pleasant surprise at hearing her real name used by a pony other than Charger. Most ponies didn't bother.

"Hmph." She tried to hide a small blush by dabbing at the wound on her head without any real purpose other than deflecting attention. "No," she muttered, "can't say I do." She didn't join in the laughing.

"I didn't see a lot." Jade was clearly much more comfortable with this subject. "It was just a split second's glance and then I was somewhat distracted by my overwhelming desire to scream like a filly." She laughed a little at herself and shook her head only to instantly regret it, turning a slightly darker shade of green at the sudden motion of her head.

"Some pony with a gun aimed at your head. Dark colour I think, or dressed dark, or maybe it was just the shadows. The gun was big though, as in, really big. Long. With all sorts of weird stuff on the... y'know, the bit at the front," said Angel the weapons expert.
    "Mm customized barrel, huh?" Snow Eyes, actually the closest thing this town had to a weapons expert, was already thinking. "Maybe something for balance, then, to keep the long barrel steady. That would give time for an aimed shot with high accuracy. Good range too. I wonder why it was even close enough for you to notice. But, if that's true, you may actually have saved my life..." Snow Eyes stopped short, then, blushing furiously and trying to be cautious of Jade's wound, she leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Then pulled back immediately. "Um, my way of saying thanks."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mm customized barrel, huh?" Snow Eyes, actually the closest thing this town had to a weapons expert, was already thinking. "Maybe something for balance, then, to keep the long barrel steady. That would give time for an aimed shot with high accuracy. Good range too. I wonder why it was even close enough for you to notice. But, if that's true, you may actually have saved my life..." Snow Eyes stopped short, then, blushing furiously and trying to be cautious of Jade's wound, she leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Then pulled back immediately. "Um, my way of saying thanks."
    Oh, she's a kisser. Angel noted, shifting a little uncomfortably. Despite years of being the only competent healer in town she still didn't know quite how best to handle these intimate displays of gratitude. They did happen on occasion; ponies thinking her some kind of hero for healing them or their loved ones, and getting overly affectionate in desperate need to show their gratitude.

She felt as if every pony in the room was staring at them and she failed to fight back a blush.

"That's, uh, that's alright... Just, you know, doing my job." She said, clearing her throat. It was her usual go-to answer. "I mean, obviously it's not my job, job. I'm not following you around just to take gunshots for you. I mean, of course I would- I mean, I did- but it's not... I mean you're welcome but... well..." she scraped a hoof on the floor a little uncomfortably. Funny, she never usually had a problem with this, "...I guess I was hoping for a bit more."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Snow Eyes was not ready for that. She wanted more too, but you didn't just say that! It took away all Snow Eyes' plausible deniability! She shifted uncomfortably. Everypony was staring at them. She should kiss Jade again. She was going to. That was what she had decided. She'd kiss Jade again. All she had to do was lean over, this time a little more passionately and that would clear everything up. Then one of the orderlies came over and stepped between them. Ice stomper or kicker or something? Snow Eyes didn't remember his name. But he was moving Jade to go treat her wounds.

"I..." God say something you idiot! Before she's gone. "I'll come visit you."

Lamest parting one liner in all of history. Snow Eyes was pretty sure Discord was personally laughing at her.

As Jade was carried away, Snow Eyes got up to go see Charger. There was a pony who knew what she was doing. She'd know how to not be pathetic. Also, Snow Eyes really wanted to shoot something.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Snow Eyes was not ready for that. She wanted more too, but you didn't just say that! It took away all Snow Eyes' plausible deniability! She shifted uncomfortably. Everypony was staring at them. She should kiss Jade again. She was going to. That was what she had decided. She'd kiss Jade again. All she had to do was lean over, this time a little more passionately and that would clear everything up. Then one of the orderlies came over and stepped between them. Ice stomper or kicker or something? Snow Eyes didn't remember his name. But he was moving Jade to go treat her wounds.

Lamest parting one liner in all of history. Snow Eyes was pretty sure Discord was personally laughing at her.

As Jade was carried away, Snow Eyes got up to go see Charger. There was a pony who knew what she was doing. She'd know how to not be pathetic. Also, Snow Eyes really wanted to shoot something.
    "Wh-what?" Jade Sun looked up over Crystalshy's shoulder as she was escorted in to her infirmary, utter disappointment plain on her face. She had assumed Snow Eyes was coming with her to continue their conversation so she could tell her her big plan - they hadn't even had their coffee yet! But now she could just watch her leave.

When Jade Sun heard the front door open and close she dropped her head back on the infirmary table she was lying on with a loud thud.

"What does a pony have to do to get f*cking paid around here?!" she snapped. "I mean I took a damn bullet, you'd think she could at least offer me a favour. But what did I get? A kiss." Jade was ranting at Crystalshy, and not for the first time.

"Is a kiss going to fix Bell Bottom? Or restock my insulin? Or help me figure out what that parasite is? No. If my luck holds however it just might land me in a heap of trouble though. Aw hell." She hid her face in her hooves. So much for trying the 'being Nice' approach.

She let her spinning mind wander freely as she lay on her own treatment table. She hadn't realised quite how uncomfortable it was until now. She'd had enough of dumped victims of violence at her door for her to save or carry in her guilty conscience as if it was all her fault. She was in so much pain, from trying to do the right thing saving the hero of Windbreak. She couldn't fathom how any pony could ever wish her dead. How badly would a pony's mind have to break for them ever to consider her a pony who ought to die? And why are assassin ponies able to just roam the streets?!

Angel reached for her favourite research diary and leafed through it while her wounds were seen to. She was going to do something about all this. Just... just as soon as this room stopped spinning. But it seemed she was on her own.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2015-03-11 at 06:26 PM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Snow Eyes wound her way through the streets of Windbreak. In her own fluster, she'd totally forgotten if she was even the right pony to be paying Jade, much less anything about coffee or plans. She just wanted to crawl in a hole and die. Instead, though she was going to ask Charger for help.

She made her way over to the Oanic gardens and took a deep breath as she went in. She needed to be calm, and this place had a serene effect on every pony that entered. That was good. She sighed. Did she even have a chance with Jade? A pony like her, no good for anything but running around and shooting a gun.

She looked peaceful but glum when she got through the entranceway of the compound to the central section where Charger lived. She hoped her friend wasn't doing anything else right now. She raised her hoof and gave a pull at the set of crystal chimes in front of the farmhouse that was used to announce the presence of guests.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

22. - Top - End - #142

Charger didn't say anything to the kid. Not because she was sulking or angry; if anything, she seemed totally calm and at home. She sat her down at the table and served her a plate of rich, thick black bread, crunchy with seeds and with the character of crumbling earth. Over the top was scraped a layer of butter and a dusting of icing sugar, and there were two small plates of jam, blueberry and orange, for dipping. It was a beautiful meal.

It was almost dreamlike, the way Charger moved around the kitchen, humming softly to herself. The music said mother, said home, said peace. It was a genuine moment of peace and gentleness. She didn't ask for anything, didn't demand, didn't threaten. She was just beautiful.

[Hypnotic: 12+2 14. Holding 3]

Snow Eyes wound her way through the streets of Windbreak. In her own fluster, she'd totally forgotten if she was even the right pony to be paying Jade, much less anything about coffee or plans. She just wanted to crawl in a hole and die. Instead, though she was going to ask Charger for help.

She made her way over to the Oanic gardens and took a deep breath as she went in. She needed to be calm, and this place had a serene effect on every pony that entered. That was good. She sighed. Did she even have a chance with Jade? A pony like her, no good for anything but running around and shooting a gun.

She looked peaceful but glum when she got through the entranceway of the compound to the central section where Charger lived. She hoped her friend wasn't doing anything else right now. She raised her hoof and gave a pull at the set of crystal chimes in front of the farmhouse that was used to announce the presence of guests.
    Charger opened the door, silver eyes shining in the early morning sunlight. That thoughtful smile crept back to her features. "Hello, Snow Eyes. I was hoping you'd come by,"

She turned around, stepped inside, and gave herself a brief, devilish smile before saying, "I was thinking I'd take Jade out for a picnic and I'd love your help getting the jam ready. Oh, and there are a few other chores around the farm I could use your help with."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Charger opened the door, silver eyes shining in the early morning sunlight. That thoughtful smile crept back to her features. "Hello, Snow Eyes. I was hoping you'd come by,"

She turned around, stepped inside, and gave herself a brief, devilish smile before saying, "I was thinking I'd take Jade out for a picnic and I'd love your help getting the jam ready. Oh, and there are a few other chores around the farm I could use your help with."
    Snow Eyes snorted when Charger answered the door with that ready answer. "You psychic now, Charge? I was coming here to ask about Jade. She got shot though, I dunno if she'll be up for a picnic for a little while." Vague distant look at that one. Snow Eyes' whole morning has a surreal air to it, especially in this haven in the midst of the blizzards. Like it's impossible that she could be here now after killing 3 ponies and having her own life saved by Jade Sun in the blink of an eye. She shook her head. "How do you even hold this place together, Charge? It's like we're not even on the same planet in here."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #144

Snow Eyes snorted when Charger answered the door with that ready answer. "You psychic now, Charge? I was coming here to ask about Jade. She got shot though, I dunno if she'll be up for a picnic for a little while." Vague distant look at that one. Snow Eyes' whole morning has a surreal air to it, especially in this haven in the midst of the blizzards. Like it's impossible that she could be here now after killing 3 ponies and having her own life saved by Jade Sun in the blink of an eye. She shook her head. "How do you even hold this place together, Charge? It's like we're not even on the same planet in here."
    "Diligence and industry," said Charger, "and hard, hard work."

She sat down on the stairs, lying across them and letting her tail hang down the side. "Talk," she commanded with catlike imperiousness.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"Talk," she commanded with catlike imperiousness.
    Snow Eyes just gushed at this point. She trusted Charger, they'd had some long talks before, and this was a moment where she poured out her feelings.

"So, I know you were joking before when you saw Jade and me and asked if we were, um, together or something, but I actually really like her. And then she took a bullet for me, but I didn't see who shot it. I had this weird vision right after, like Death, capital D, had come down only she was this weird old crone pony with yellow eyes. And...and then Jade came down like an angel, I mean she goes by Angel, but this was like in the vision like a real angel that looked exactly like Jade. Then it kind of faded away. But either way Jade actually took a real bullet for me from a sniper that only Jade even saw."

*pause for breath and dramatic effect*

"So then Jade could barely walk, so I carried her back to the infirmary, but it was super crowded so we just kind of sat down at the entrance. I called for help and we were talking. I was making jokes trying to keep her in good spirits, like I didn't really think I was in danger until she described the gun, custom long-barreled sniper, high caliber, with some kind of attachment to steady the barrel for better aim set up right at my head. And when I realized that she really saved my life and wasn't just stupid I kissed her, but then I freaked out because I'm seriously the lamest person on the planet at everything other than shooting ponies and said it was just for saying thanks. Then she said that she wanted more and I was like 'holy cow!' but then one of her orderlies came and took her away and I didn't know what to say, so I said I'd visit and ran out of the place without doing anything. I didn't even check how she was or on the other ponies getting treatment."

Snow Eyes smacked herself on the head with a hoof, "I'm an idiot! She'd invited me to stay for food and I was gonna give her the stuff I salvaged this morning to pay her, but I got so freaked that I ran out without doing anything. She probably thinks I'm totally worthless now.

What do I do, Charge?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #146

This could potentially become complicated. Charger took a moment to think about it.

Read a Person: 3

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

At places in the gardens were old statues, stone figures on plinths, surrounded by glowing overgrowth. Overall the impression was one of managed chaos; it was a lovely place, though some found it unsettling.
    Managed chaos ... You ponies crack me up.

Unsettled, like a mouse following the nice putty tat through Cat Town at night, not knowing whether it should take a chance and make a run for it; whether this was its moment or if the cat was just waiting for her to try it.

The filly looked like that.

Later, at around noon, Eclipse had organized a big workshop for the ponies of Windbreak, though some were more likely to call it a sermon. Her volunteers had been busy collecting wood, nails, and other woodworking supplies. When the time came, she'd give a little speech, show them how to do some basic craftsmanship, then supervise their work on a much smaller sample project. Crowds for the warmth, play for the hooves, and hope for the heart; these sorts of things always had a good turnout. Word on the street was Miss Spurs might even be in attendance. Wouldn't that be a fine to-do?
    We shall get to that ... or shall we?

But before any of that started, she was going to take a rest.

Arcing over the mighty walls, the pale pegasus gently spiraled down until she drifted into a little hole in the wall. Literally. Dozens, if not hundreds of ponies had carved out homes in the thick walls of Windbreak. Those who couldn't afford a piece of the earth dug out a living where at least they'd be safe from the winds. The past few days, she'd been staying with one such family who were gracious enough to offer her a room with a window. Amid featureless walls, she touched down gingerly. Her legs and wings throbbed from the sudden flight; she'd have to fix those holes in her coat soon. She wrapped herself up in her blanket, pulled over the little tray of scraps the family had saved up for her, and ate a quiet meal. Slowly, the aches in her bones faded away, as she filled her mind with the sound of her chewing. The beat of her heart. The hum of the winds. The distant glow of the sun.

Alone.

At peace.
    To sleep, perchance to dream ...

Tell me, what is a peaceful dream to you? And wouldn't you leave all this behind and live that dream if you could? So much better than this, hmm?

"That's it, every stable pony - get out!" She gave them a dark glare. "Unless you're dying or unconscious, LEAVE!" she roared.

"Crystalshy, give me a hoof cleaning and dressing this. Snow Kicker, could you ask that stallion you spoke to earlier this morning to come over, but first, some hot coffee for two. And the bread." She looked up at Snow Eyes "Assuming you could do with some? It's freshly baked," she offered without a smile.
    How rude. There was much grumbling and groaning from ponies leaving, but leave they mostly did.

Snow Kicker brought you the bread and coffee, or the half of it that was left, then hurried out before you could start yelling some more. It was good bread and coffee, especially when one considered some of the other 'food' you could get out there. It might even be half-fresh flour and actual sugar, though real butter was less certain.

Me? Noooo, never.

Spoiler: Just look at this innocent face
    Show

But I would watch your friends, my friend. Who knows what they do behind your back. Can't you just feel them laughing at you?

"What does a pony have to do to get f*cking paid around here?!" she snapped. "I mean I took a damn bullet, you'd think she could at least offer me a favour. But what did I get? A kiss." Jade was ranting at Crystalshy, and not for the first time.

"Is a kiss going to fix Bell Bottom? Or restock my insulin? Or help me figure out what that parasite is? No. If my luck holds however it just might land me in a heap of trouble though. Aw hell." She hid her face in her hooves. So much for trying the 'being Nice' approach.

[...]

Angel reached for her favourite research diary and leafed through it while her wounds were seen to. She was going to do something about all this. Just... just as soon as this room stopped spinning. But it seemed she was on her own.
    Crystalshy looked like she wouldn't mind a kiss or two if the right pony came along and offered it to her, but she wisely kept her romantic fantasies and opinions to herself and merely nodded and mhmm'ed all through her work.

It was about twenty minutes later when Snow Kicker returned with a rough-looking stallion named Bearclaw in tow. He left his flamethrower by the door and looked around as he entered, perhaps wondering about Bell Bottom.

Charger didn't say anything to the kid. Not because she was sulking or angry; if anything, she seemed totally calm and at home. She sat her down at the table and served her a plate of rich, thick black bread, crunchy with seeds and with the character of crumbling earth. Over the top was scraped a layer of butter and a dusting of icing sugar, and there were two small plates of jam, blueberry and orange, for dipping. It was a beautiful meal.

It was almost dreamlike, the way Charger moved around the kitchen, humming softly to herself. The music said mother, said home, said peace. It was a genuine moment of peace and gentleness. She didn't ask for anything, didn't demand, didn't threaten. She was just beautiful.

[Hypnotic: 12+2 14. Holding 3]
    Beautiful, elegant, stately like the cat. Your swaying and dancing and cooking may have done little if anything to assuage the filly's white-faced terror, but transfixed ... yes, that she surely was. This mouse would dance to every tune the cat played.

This could potentially become complicated. Charger took a moment to think about it.

Read a Person: 3
    Snow Eyes, the questions are yours. Why, it's almost like a magic lamp! *poof*
    Last edited by Deadly; 2015-03-13 at 05:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Snow Eyes, the questions are yours. Why, it's almost like a magic lamp! *poof*
    Oh, 3 whole questions, is that right? Let's have at it then.

Charger:
    What are you really feeling?
    What do you want me to do?
    How could I get you to help me win Jade's heart?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #149

Oh, 3 whole questions, is that right? Let's have at it then.

Charger:
    What are you really feeling?
    What do you want me to do?
    How could I get you to help me win Jade's heart?
    Charger is feeling guarded, tense, in a way that she is trying hard not to show. To her this is suddenly an extremely tricky and dangerous situation where she could lose one or two ponies she cares about and she feels like she has to manage it right.

What she wants you to do is, best case, realise the crush is temporary and illusionary and give up on it without making things weird. And, after that, keep being Charger's dorky friend.

How you could get her to do it is, hmm. She has an interest in Jade herself, you can see that clearly. Now she'd probably back off if you put your friendship as the stakes but she'd hate you for it. If it was anypony else she'd be proposing a threesome but she wants to figure out if you'd go for that before suggesting it out loud. Anything other that is very risky.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

To sleep, perchance to dream ...

Tell me, what is a peaceful dream to you? And wouldn't you leave all this behind and live that dream if you could? So much better than this, hmm?
    Peaceful? What, do I look stressed to you? I don't really feel it. I might be a little bit singed, but that's different.

If it's dreams you're after, I've got a few good ones. There's one I've had where I'm just...falling. And not the bad sort of falling either. It's one where I've just let go of the earth, and it's rushing beneath me like one of those rivers they had back in the Fall. I'm drifting along, curving gently with the slightest twitch of my wings, going faster and faster, it's like I don't even have to think anymore. It doesn't even hurt when I hit something; city, mountain, pony, it's all the same. We meet, for the briefest of moments, then they explode in a pinata of colors and lights and I'm off without slowing down at all. When it's over, I'm trailing the biggest rainbow you ever saw over not only Equestria, but the entire world, and no, I wasn't eating the stale snow flowers before bedtime. It's beautiful.

Then there's this other one I've been having. Hit me a few times right after I came to Windbreak. I'm sitting at the counter of this bar, and it's just packed. There's so many ponies I can't hardly tell where one ends and another begins. It's all laughter and cheers, pressing in around me. But I'm not talking with them. Shoot, I'm not even looking at them. No, what's got my attention is an ice cream sundae the size of my head, sitting in front of me in a shiny, bronze bowl. It's got all the fixings; steaming hot caramel, crumbled up bits of sweetbread, rainbow sprinkles, strips of black licorice, freshly sliced fruit, whipped cream, and a mountain of ice cream. Every bite is heaven. So many textures and flavors, so much new in every taste, I could eat it forever and still find something new and amazing. It makes my chest crackle just thinking about it.

But the most peaceful dream of all? Is when I only have one a night.

And wouldn't you leave all this behind and live that dream if you could? So much better than this, hmm?
    Listen; I'm going to save you a lot of time, and tell you that isn't going to work. The thing about all those dreams is that they don't care what season it is. It could be Winter, Spring, Summer, maybe even some other season lost to time. At the end of the day, Spring's coming whether you like it or not. Makes no difference to my dreams.

As for leaving? Well, you see those guards wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up on top of the walls? If they look out onto the wastes and see a pack of Windingos, they're going to raise the alarm. And if anypony's dumb enough to go out for an evening stroll, they're going to get shattered to bits and it's going to be on their own heads. But supposing those guards don't raise the alarm. Suppose they sit on their flanks and play patty-cake because they figured it would all turn out alright without them. Anypony what dies then, their blood's on the guards' hooves now. They saw the disaster coming, they could've warned everypony it was coming, but they chose to keep it all to themselves. Jerks.

So don't ask if I'd leave all this behind for some wild dream. Ask what could make me selfish enough to leave.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2015-03-14 at 05:37 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.