New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Default Re: Peebles' Perfectly Pointless Popular Prattle - Random Banter #211

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Aah, okay.

Also hey Rayman might be in Smash 4. Video link.
    It's looking pretty legit at this point. If it ends up confirmed, that'd make me insanely happy.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    It's a conspiracy backed by Microsoft! Once they get everybody playing Robocode in .NET, that's when they'll strike!
    Yes, because Microsoft needs to get everyone to play a programming game to ambush them. It's not like they could infiltrate them through the world's most popular operative system or something...

And a d9, if there was such a thing ... basically any d3x where x is an integer of 3 would suffice.
    You could always emulate one with two d3s.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think it would even be possible to produce such a thing, because (AFAIK) there isn't any solid figure with 9 faces where all the faces are the same size and shape (which is obviously quite important, because otherwise your dice will have a bias). Could just use a d10 and reroll if 10 comes up, of course...
    Well, if you accept rounded faces, you could create rugby ball-shaped one with nine faces curving toward the points. It would definitely look stupid, but it would be fair.

ION:
    Home alone for almost a week now, and I'll make sure to get the most out of the situation, even if it just means lounging in the sofa and enjoying the silence and solitude...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    1st D3 = 0, 3, 6
    2nd D3 = 1, 2, 3

Roll both, add together.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'll probably pick it up at some point! Just not right now. Because again it wasn't in stock.
    Get it. It has online multiplayer, you know.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, because Microsoft needs to get everyone to play a programming game to ambush them. It's not like they could infiltrate them through the world's most popular operative system or something...
    They've already got most of the population sucked in using Windows, but the Robocode Initiative is to draw over the final holdouts, the hardcore programmers who use BSD or Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    1st D3 = 0, 3, 6
    2nd D3 = 1, 2, 3

Roll both, add together.
    That's pretty cool. I bet it's possible to emulate any N-sided die (except for d1) using combinations of other, smaller amounts of dice, or dice of the same amount of sides (if those dice exist).
    A d2 for our purposes would be a coin.

d2 = d2: 1,2
    d3 = d2: 1,2 + d2: 0, 1
    d4 = d4: 1,2,3,4
    d5 = d2: 1,2 + d4: 0,1,2,3
    d6 = d6: 1,2,3,4,5,6
    d7 = d4: 0, 1, 2, 3 + d4: 1, 2, 3, 4
    d8 = (d2: 1,2 + d4: 0,1,2,3): 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 + (d2: 1,2 + d4: 0,1,2,3): 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
    d9 = (d2: 1,2 + d2: 0, 1): 0, 3, 6 + (d2: 1,2 + d2: 0, 1): 1,2,3
    And et cetera.

Now that I think about it, it's probably possible to emulate a die of any side using just coins:
    d4 = d2: 0, 1 + d2: 1, 2 + d2: 0, 1
    d5 = d2: 1,2 + (d2: 0, 1 + d2: 1, 2 + d2: 0, 1): 0, 1, 2, 3
    d6 = d2: 1,2 + (d2: 0, 1 + d2: 1, 2 + d2: 0, 1): 0, 1, 2, 3 + d2: 0, 1
    d7 = d2: 1,2 + (d2: 0, 1 + d2: 1, 2 + d2: 0, 1): 0, 1, 2, 3 + d2: 0, 1 + d2: 0, 1

I think that all you have to do is add d2: 0,1 to the end of each roll to make it emulate a die of one side higher.

Well, if you accept rounded faces, you could create rugby ball-shaped one with nine faces curving toward the points. It would definitely look stupid, but it would be fair.
    I saw a picture of a d9 that looked like that:
    Spoiler: Possibly large photo
    Show

Last edited by Solse; 2015-02-15 at 11:21 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Show

That's more of a spinner than a die, to my mind.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

That's pretty cool. I bet it's possible to emulate any N-sided die (except for d1) using combinations of other, smaller amounts of dice, or dice of the same amount of sides (if those dice exist).

d8 = (d2: 1,2 + d4: 0,1,2,3): 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 + (d2: 1,2 + d4: 0,1,2,3): 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
    And et cetera.

Now that I think about it, it's probably possible to emulate a die of any side using just coins:
    d7 = d2: 1,2 + (d2: 0, 1 + d2: 1, 2 + d2: 0, 1): 0, 1, 2, 3 + d2: 0, 1 + d2: 0, 1

I think that all you have to do is add d2: 0,1 to the end of each roll to make it emulate a die of one side higher.
    Sadly, that won't work for the same reason as 1d6 + 1d6 doesn't yield 12 as often as it yields 7. Take your d3 example, there are four possible outcomes when throwing two coins:
    c0 c1 Result
    1 1 1
    1 2 1
    2 1 2
    2 2 3
    (I really want to 0-index everything, but for consistency's sake...)

You probably notice the problem: you're twice as likely to get a 1 as a 2 or a 3, and it's in fact impossible to emulate a fair d3 with coins without declaring one result a "reroll" result, forcing you to start over.

Show

7. - Top - End - #187

Anything that is half of a larger die is super easy. A d3 can easily be emulated on a d6 by just going 1, 2, 3, 4=1, 5=2, 6=3. A d5 on a d10. d50 on a d100. Other fractions are possible. e.g. A coin can do d2, but so can a d6 by going 1, 2, 3=1, 4=2, 5=1, 6=2.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

So you can toss all your d4's and d6's... a d12 serves as a d2, d3, d4, and d6's... (finally d12 gets some love.)
    D10's can be replaced by d20's where you only care about the second digit.
    So you're down to d8, d12, d20 and you've pretty much got everything covered.

Only reason I dont do this already is I seem to have a surprising number of d12's that are not geometrically correct to such a degree that I can both see it with my eyes and feel it with my fingers. Even more odd it seems on many of them to be the same faces that are distorted... 2 and 8 each have a 'long edge' on quite a few of my d12s... The visual telltale is that the numbers 1 and 6 are not centered on their face.

But if you have reliable d12s... A lot of people could be carrying around much lighter dice bags if they wanted to.
    Last edited by VincentTakeda; 2015-02-15 at 01:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by VincentTakeda View Post
    So you can toss all your d4's and d6's... a d12 serves as a d2, d3, d4, and d6's... (finally d12 gets some love.)

Only reason I dont do this already is I seem to have a surprising number of d12's that are not geometrically correct to such a degree that I can both see it with my eyes and feel it with my fingers. Even more odd it seems on many of them to be the same faces that are distorted... 2 and 8 each have a 'long edge' on quite a few of my d12s... The visual telltale is that the numbers 1 and 6 are not centered on their face.

But if you have reliable d12s... A lot of people could be carrying around much lighter dice bags if they wanted to.
    A d20 is actually better as a d10 than a d10 is, due to the fact that the d10 is not a regular polyhedron.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

A d20 is actually better as a d10 than a d10 is, due to the fact that the d10 is not a regular polyhedron.
    Better how?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Brilliant! We'll get two d3s, use them to emulate a d9, and use the d9 to emulate a d3.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Better how?
    Regular polyhedrons are highly symmetrical. All faces are congruent regular polygons, assembled in the same way around each vertex. The d20 will roll better and roll fairer.

The difference, however, is negligible in RPG games. So much so that I don't know anyone (myself included) who would care.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Anything that is half of a larger die is super easy. A d3 can easily be emulated on a d6 by just going 1, 2, 3, 4=1, 5=2, 6=3. A d5 on a d10. d50 on a d100. Other fractions are possible. e.g. A coin can do d2, but so can a d6 by going 1, 2, 3=1, 4=2, 5=1, 6=2.
    Basically, anything that's possible to write as a product of 2s, 3s and 5s can be created as a fair die by a combination of regular (roleplaying) dice.

Yes! Finally a way to drop the unbearable load that's my dice I carry around everywhere!

Also, you can combine your d12 and d20 for a d8, so you don't even need that one.

Too bad on the skewed dice, though...

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Better how?
    To summarise Rawhide's points, the d20 rolls better and uniformly in all directions. I must say, though, that the d10-on-a-icosahedron is a scourge upon existence and should be eradicated on sight!

Brilliant! We'll get two d3s, use them to emulate a d9, and use the d9 to emulate a d3.
    Yes!

We still need a way to get those d3s, though. I suggest a d6 and a d12.

Show

14. - Top - End - #194

I am picking out all the d6s from the dice sets for a Shadowrun game. And I do not think I like the shape of these either. I like the diamond shapes of the d8 and d10. d12s maybe. d6s and d20s I just do not like as much.

Fewer colors? Fewer shapes? Fewer pretty dice bags?
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

I think i've only ever met one person who refused to show up to the table with less than 4 pounds of dice.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

They've already got most of the population sucked in using Windows, but the Robocode Initiative is to draw over the final holdouts, the hardcore programmers who use BSD or Linux.

And et cetera.

Show

My brother and I, since we didn't have a d20, used to use a d10 and d100 and divide by five, rounding down.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Any number N that can be expressed as N=AB^K + B^(K-1) (A,B,K>1) can be simulated with other dice.

dN: dA+KdB, where they form a B-nary number.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

18. - Top - End - #198

There were seven loud people at the Shadowrun table. I was using the d10s and d%s anyway. To add up my gear price numbers. Because when I tried to do it in my head two other people were always talkinbg numbers and getting me confused. See? You always need more dice!
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    My brother and I, since we didn't have a d20, used to use a d10 and d100 and divide by five, rounding down.
    Hmm, won't that give a bias toward the lower numbers? I mean, unless you count (0, 0) as a 0 instead of 100, and make the d20 roll 0-19...

Any number N that can be expressed as N=AB^K + B^(K-1) (A,B,K>1) can be simulated with other dice.

dN: dA+KdB, where they form a B-nary number.
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here, but no. Contradiction:

N = 14 = 3 · 22 + 21 = ABK + BK-1

This would by your equation yield 1d3 and 2d2, but there are only 3 · 2 · 2 = 12 outcomes possible from rolling those dice, no matter which base you express it in...

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    There were seven loud people at the Shadowrun table. I was using the d10s and d%s anyway. To add up my gear price numbers. Because when I tried to do it in my head two other people were always talkinbg numbers and getting me confused. See? You always need more dice!
    Yeah, we often end up using dice whenever we need a counter over at the gaming club, which is fairly often, seeing how we also play miniature games and the like.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2015-02-16 at 02:59 AM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #200

BlackDragon

Hmm, won't that give a bias toward the lower numbers? I mean, unless you count (0, 0) as a 0 instead of 100, and make the d20 roll 0-19...
    Yes, it would, because the only way to get a 20 if you're rounding down is to roll 100 on d%, while the numbers 1-9 would all become 1. To make it fair you'd need to round *up*, so then every number from 96 to 100 would become 20.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know whether it's because I've done very little RP in the last five years, but Shadowrun confuses me. Loads of thresholds and different modifiers and soaking damage...at least I'm playing the Troll Face pregen out the starter set so I can stay well out the way during combats.

My ceramic D6's caused a bit of consternation because they're nowhere near the right shape; every side is different and one of them doesn't even have the sides in the right order. I think the 6 is opposite the 3 or something screwy like that. But they're pretty and painted all different colours and seem biased towards 2's anyway, so I don't see that as an advantage.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Damn, I just got through all of the unlockable levels on BoI: Rebirth. Feels good man. Now waiting for the DLC Zooz has been telling me about...

Lord of the Rings online is taking far too long to download. I played it a bit over the weekend, and is probably the first game of that genre that I really enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Got Majora's Mask for the 3ds for Valentines day from my wife...

Can I just say that this is the best Valentines Day gift I could imagine?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here, but no. Contradiction:

N = 14 = 3 · 22 + 21 = ABK + BK-1

This would by your equation yield 1d3 and 2d2, but there are only 3 · 2 · 2 = 12 outcomes possible from rolling those dice, no matter which base you express it in...
    Correction.

N = ABK, B >= A; B,K > 1; A >= 1

dN = dA+KdB, forming a B-nary number.

I had the right idea, but needed to think through it first. And mention the bound on A.

Also, I posit that no prime die size is expressible as sums of other dice.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Damn, I just got through all of the unlockable levels on BoI: Rebirth. Feels good man. Now waiting for the DLC Zooz has been telling me about...

Lord of the Rings online is taking far too long to download. I played it a bit over the weekend, and is probably the first game of that genre that I really enjoyed.
    Sweet! Now it's time to go for Platinum God! Consume everything!

I always have trouble getting into MMOs because either the combat isn't fun, or I have no one to play with and just lose interest.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

That is in fact a very good present.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

I continue to wish they'd made Kirby and the Rainbow Curse a Valentine's Day release - apart from the fact that it's clearly ready (coming out about a week later), it's just adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Correction.

N = ABK, B >= A; B,K > 1; A >= 1

dN = dA+KdB, forming a B-nary number.

I had the right idea, but needed to think through it first. And mention the bound on A.
    Okay, now I see what you're trying to do. It only works if your dice have values on the interval 0 <= x < d where d is the die size, though, and the notation is confusing: dA+KdB does not a fair die make, but BKdA + Ʃi=0k-1BidB does. Of course, now there's no need to express it in base B any longer...

Also, I posit that no prime die size is expressible as sums of other dice.
    We can even expand it to say that you can't roll any products containing any other factors than 2s, 3s or 5s if we restrict ourselves to the common dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I continue to wish they'd made Kirby and the Rainbow Curse a Valentine's Day release - apart from the fact that it's clearly ready (coming out about a week later), it's just adorable.
    I'd like to challenge the assertion that it's "clearly ready" just because there's no more than a week left to the release date. If game developers had those margins of error, the world would be spared so much grief and crushed expectations.

Show

28. - Top - End - #208

I'd like to challenge the assertion that it's "clearly ready" just because there's no more than a week left to the release date. If game developers had those margins of error, the world would be spared so much grief and crushed expectations.
    I'm almost certain that the final code actually is ready, or at least as ready as it's going to be. In order to manufacture distribute the cartridges by the release date, the release code would have had to have "gone gold" (been locked to its final master with no further pre-release edits and sent to the manufacturer) a long time ago.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
    I don't know whether it's because I've done very little RP in the last five years, but Shadowrun confuses me. Loads of thresholds and different modifiers and soaking damage...at least I'm playing the Troll Face pregen out the starter set so I can stay well out the way during combats.

My ceramic D6's caused a bit of consternation because they're nowhere near the right shape; every side is different and one of them doesn't even have the sides in the right order. I think the 6 is opposite the 3 or something screwy like that. But they're pretty and painted all different colours and seem biased towards 2's anyway, so I don't see that as an advantage.
    Funny. The GM was passing the pregens around the table and I never saw that one. Glad you spoke up about it. I did think it was weird to have no pregen for a face. And we seem to be getting a technomancer dwarf for a face since he was the only one with skills and charisma.

These dice sound wonderful! Do you have a picture? A link?

And I go there with a Warhammer player. There were enough d6s. For everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

A Valentine's Day gift that lasts!

We bought a fancy cream cake here. Not flowers this year. It was about as much as flowers. But this one, when the cats tried to eat it we did not worry about cat poisoning. And it was a very good cake indeed.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I'm almost certain that the final code actually is ready, or at least as ready as it's going to be. In order to manufacture distribute the cartridges by the release date, the release code would have had to have "gone gold" (been locked to its final master with no further pre-release edits and sent to the manufacturer) a long time ago.
    Oh, definitely, but that doesn't mean the game is ready yet.

Show