The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: 3.5e Overhaul – Fixing ALL 3.5e's problems (P.E.A.C.H)

I have read quite a bit of the overhaul (not all of it) and I remember actually reading a lot of what you wrote back when you had extra abilities (perception and agility I think).
    I salute you for keeping at it for such a long time!

I actually agree with a lot of your design goals and choices. Especially the "lets not have an unnecessary abundance of classes".

I am interested in how this rules play out, so I have some questions:
    -I couldn't find anything indicating a wealth by level chart. More importanly, because that's where wealth by level emerges from, is there a standarized award for defeating a monster of a specific CR?
    -Also what changes would monsters require to run in your overhaul?
    -Would monsters with spell like abilities incur strain(couldn't find a section about spell likes in spellcasting)? How about normal spellcasting?
    I am thinking that maybe you could include general instructions on how to convert monsters (if that's actually even necessary).
    - You mention ability enhancing magic items don't stack, does that mean there is no point to them? In general I am confused about how dc's and saves will scale in your games. Will spellcasters have a chance to affect lvl appropriate monsters and player resist lvl appropriate dc's?
    In a post you mention the iron will etc feats function differently in your games but i can't find them anywhere in your rules.

Other notes: I always wanted to connect level with longevity in dnd 3.5. Kinda like if you gain levels you age more slowly. I see you had a similar idea with cancelling age penlaties. If you went that slower aging route, do you have any ideas how would you do it?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VladtheLad View Post
    I have read quite a bit of the overhaul (not all of it) and I remember actually reading a lot of what you wrote back when you had extra abilities (perception and agility I think).
    I remember those.
    With time, I've come to the understanding that practicality must precede common sense when it comes to an effective game overhaul, or even isolated house rules. Any changes to the set of ability scores would have just too much impact on the game, to a point where reconciling all the implications would merit huge amounts of rules, and the end result would probably confuse the majority of the readers.

I salute you for keeping at it for such a long time!

I actually agree with a lot of your design goals and choices. Especially the "lets not have an unnecessary abundance of classes".
    Sure. But that reduction in the number of classes must not come at the expense of the available character concepts to choose from.
    I believe I have that angle covered with a lot of extra.

-I couldn't find anything indicating a wealth by level chart.
    WBL is meant to become unimportant when using the overhaul. The classes are so much more versatile and capable on their own than any official classes that they should be able to function with very little gear (except for extreme cases where it would promote the story line).

More importanly, because that's where wealth by level emerges from, is there a standarized award for defeating a monster of a specific CR?
    See "Encounter-CRs and XP Awards" spoiler in post #5.

[Edit:] Oh, you meant treasure. No. nothing in particular. I'd advise no more than 50% of what's suggested in the DMG. In all epic stories, heroes save the day using mostly their innate capabilities + wits. Much more stylish and elegant than shining like a Christmas tree.

-Also what changes would monsters require to run in your overhaul?
    Very few actually.
    1. Give them maxed out HP, but also see "Modified Monsters" spoiler in post #28.
    2. Up their saving throws when relevant, according to "Saving-Throws Modifiers – Redefined" spoiler in post #3.

-Would monsters with spell like abilities incur strain (couldn't find a section about spell likes in spellcasting)? How about normal spellcasting?
    No and yes.
    SLAs always had #uses per day and never counted as regular spellcasting. No reason to change that.
    Spellcasting should work the same for everyone, otherwise it'll complicate things.

I am thinking that maybe you could include general instructions on how to convert monsters (if that's actually even necessary).
    I'd prefer converting only what merits change, and not converting for the sake of changing.

- You mention ability enhancing magic items don't stack, does that mean there is no point to them?
    No. it means that if one has multiple magical effects that augment a given character stat (ability score, attack bonus, deflection bonus to AC, etc.) they overlap and only the highest augmentation applies.

In general I am confused about how dc's and saves will scale in your games. Will spellcasters have a chance to affect lvl appropriate monsters and player resist lvl appropriate dc's?
    AFAIK, no change there. Nothing that's intended anyway.
    None of the classes was designed to break RNG, and a lot of crazy stat-boosting means have been eliminated.

In a post you mention the iron will etc feats function differently in your games but i can't find them anywhere in your rules.
    Better rather than differently.
    See "By Categories" spoiler (inside "Modified Feats", post #8).

Other notes: I always wanted to connect level with longevity in dnd 3.5. Kinda like if you gain levels you age more slowly. I see you had a similar idea with cancelling age penlaties. If you went that slower aging route, do you have any ideas how would you do it?
    I wouldn't, for the simple reason that dying of oldage is not something one should be concerned about.
    Downtime should never accumulate to dangerous levels, otherwise the DM is doing something terribly wrong.
    Also, quite a few classes overcome oldage altogether (Jester, Priest, Druid, Warlock, Witch, Monk, Dragon Evolutionist, Time Bender, Elementalist, Radiant Soul).
    On top of that, there's Lichdom, Green Star Adept, Bone Knight, divinity and Highlander immortality.

But if I would, I'd make it like that:
    6th character level: +20% to character's age steps and maximum age.
    12th character level: +50%
    18th character level: +100%

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    I remember those.
    With time, I've come to the understanding that practicality must precede common sense when it comes to an effective game overhaul, or even isolated house rules. Any changes to the set of ability scores would have just too much impact on the game, to a point where reconciling all the implications would merit huge amounts of rules, and the end result would probably confuse the majority of the readers.
    Absolutely, it was the right choise IMO.
    As an aside familiarity is also an issue, if 3.5 came out today, I wouldn't be so sure I could spend the time or more importanly have the desire to re learn it.

Sure. But that reduction in the number of classes must not come at the expense of the available character concepts to choose from.
    I believe I have that angle covered with a lot of extra.
    I personally would be satisfied even with only the class and multi class options from adnd (provided they were well done), but I understand why many people want more.

WBL is meant to become unimportant when using the overhaul. The classes are so much more versatile and capable on their own than any official classes that they should be able to function with very little gear (except for extreme cases where it would promote the story line).

[Edit:] Oh, you meant treasure. No. nothing in particular. I'd advise no more than 50% of what's suggested in the DMG. In all epic stories, heroes save the day using mostly their innate capabilities + wits. Much more stylish and elegant than shining like a Christmas tree.
    AFAIK, no change there. Nothing that's intended anyway.
    None of the classes was designed to break RNG, and a lot of crazy stat-boosting means have been eliminated.
    I haven't run any numbers but my fear is without magic items classes will be very vulnerable, especially on saves and ac. On the other hand I could be totally wrong because even half WBL and your as far as i understand more expensive magic items should end up granting some considerable bonuses.

I am also considering running published adventures with your rules, treasure and magic items unchanged, and simply disallowing or severly hampering magic item trading, which will make things much more straightforward and faster.
    In general I always wanted to have a system where magic items aren't necessary but are also randomly awarded, since the fun factor in my experience is very high on that one, and the treasure can be used for other things or simply as xp awards (like in old school games).

Very few actually.
    1. Give them maxed out HP, but also see "Modified Monsters" spoiler in post #28.
    2. Up their saving throws when relevant, according to "Saving-Throws Modifiers – Redefined" spoiler in post #3.
    I see, if that's all, the conversion isn't that hard. Also I personally would ignore feat conversions saying that if a feat is picked by your racial hd it uses the old version (unless the feat and the rules it affects have changed radically).

That said I just noticed you used 4th edition saving throws, for the purpose of not having dump stats. I don't see how exactly this is achieved and I don't see many dump stats in your rules actually, except maybe charisma. Then again its hard to predict how all of your many houserules interact so I could be totally wrong.
    This will result in many strength focused monsters having even better fortitude saves and generally monsters with higher saves will be even harder to affect for spellcasters, who now have lower dc's because of MAD on spellcasting and less magic items. Again I haven't run any actual numbers so I could be totally wrong here.
    But on that note what spell dc's do you expect a 15th level wizard or caster generally to have?
    Thinking further about maybe without resistance adding items players might need this revised saves rule to make up for it?

What do you think would be the effect of removing the redifined saving throws modifiers from your houserules?

No. it means that if one has multiple magical effects that augment a given character stat (ability score, attack bonus, deflection bonus to AC, etc.) they overlap and only the highest augmentation applies.
    That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying

Better rather than differently.
    See "By Categories" spoiler (inside "Modified Feats", post #8).

Ah yes that's what I meant, but I couldn't find it.

I wouldn't, for the simple reason that dying of oldage is not something one should be concerned about.
    Downtime should never accumulate to dangerous levels, otherwise the DM is doing something terribly wrong.
    Also, quite a few classes overcome oldage altogether (Jester, Priest, Druid, Warlock, Witch, Monk, Dragon Evolutionist, Time Bender, Elementalist, Radiant Soul).
    On top of that, there's Lichdom, Green Star Adept, Bone Knight, divinity and Highlander immortality.

But if I would, I'd make it like that:
    6th character level: +20% to character's age steps and maximum age.
    12th character level: +50%
    18th character level: +100%
    Seems reasonable, though downtime for elfs and dwarfs isn't controlled by oldage, but more likely by dm intervention.

I was thinking sth like:

6th level half elf lifespan
    12 level dwarf lifespan
    18 level elf lifespan

Some extra things:

In your general rules ability score progression you write "Special: Once per 6 character levels, a general feat can be used to raise one's ability score and ability limits by +1." do you mean "to raise one's ability scores" so all ability scores are increased?

The rogue seems to be able to coup de grace as a sneak attack, isn't this a bit excessive? Again its hard to tell for me because I can't see all the rule interactions. At 15 level your sneak attack is 8d6, 10d6 total damage with a short sword for coup de grace and lets say str 14 for another +4. That's 39+10=49 dc save, it pretty much kills anything you can sneak attack automatically. Considering you have anti immunity to
    3 enemy types for sneak attack as a class feature and darkstalker it, at least initially, seems to me very few enemies will be able to do sth about this.
    Last edited by VladtheLad; 2018-10-02 at 08:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't run any numbers but my fear is without magic items classes will be very vulnerable, especially on saves and ac.
    If there's one thing that I'm sure of, is that my classes are anything but vulnerable.
    None of the core classes comes on its own anywhere near the level of survivability as my classes.

I am also considering running published adventures with your rules, treasure and magic items unchanged
    Amen to that. I'd love to know how things go at the gaming table.

simply disallowing or severly hampering magic item trading, which will make things much more straightforward and faster.
    That's an upside I didn't mention, but I do believe it to be so.

treasure can be used for other things or simply as xp awards (like in old school games).
    Going back to "Encounter-CRs and XP Awards", I think that magical gear should affect XP calculations if and only if it makes the encounter more difficult in practice.
    Now the DM only needs assessing what was the in-practice CR.
    That way, your notion comes into practice on one hand and is very simple to execute on the other hand.

Also I personally would ignore feat conversions saying that if a feat is picked by your racial hd it uses the old version (unless the feat and the rules it affects have changed radically).
    I think that using different versions of feats would probably turn out to make things more confusing.
    And on that note, another thing I forgot to mention in monster adaptation is to replace omitted feats (e.g. Power Attack)

That said I just noticed you used 4th edition saving throws, for the purpose of not having dump stats. I don't see how exactly this is achieved and I don't see many dump stats in your rules actually, except maybe charisma.
    Since each level comes with an ability boost, any dump stat means that you have less ability scores to put those ability boosts into.
    The save-redundancy approach gives more incentive to make previously unorthodox character builds and give more room for players to build the characters they envision rather than always building given classes around the same ability scores or end up shooting themselves in the leg.

This will result in many strength focused monsters having even better fortitude saves and generally monsters with higher saves will be even harder to affect for spellcasters, who now have lower dc's because of MAD on spellcasting and less magic items.
    A far better ability package to start with plus an ability boost at each level practically guarantee that MAD is far less of an issue now.
    Also, I wanna talk about spellcasters overcoming DCs. A few years back I played a 6th level Beguiler and made an excessive use of SoS effects. I was so good at it that I got kicked out of the group for ruining the fun for all the other players. I'm more than ok with SoS effects being a gambit. This would give more room to damage effects and save (partial) effects.

But on that note what spell dc's do you expect a 15th level wizard or caster generally to have?
    The same as for official 3.5e. When facing a really tough cookie, you should really give SoS effects (which are basically an "I win" button) a serious consideration before spamming them.

What do you think would be the effect of removing the redifined saving throws modifiers from your houserules?
    1. Less means of offsetting gear reduction.
    2. Less room for maneuvering with character builds.

Seems reasonable, though downtime for elfs and dwarfs isn't controlled by oldage, but more likely by dm intervention.

I was thinking sth like:

6th level half elf lifespan
    12 level dwarf lifespan
    18 level elf lifespan
    Doesn't bother me, but this would practically remove the age differences between the races and make longer lifespan a no-reason for choosing a race for having a longer lifespan.

In your general rules ability score progression you write "Special: Once per 6 character levels, a general feat can be used to raise one's ability score and ability limits by +1." do you mean "to raise one's ability scores" so all ability scores are increased?
    Absolutely not. This would practically make this option a no-brainer. You should only use it if it really makes a difference for you – and usually every class has that one ability score that really affects its power level. Like any other benefit, you should spend your resources on it only when it counts (i.e. raising the chosen ability score from an odd number to the next even value). If it makes a difference – take it. If not – don't.
    In a perfect world, all feats are made equal and choices amount to player's vision of the character. Still, I'm trying to bring feats as close as possible to one another. When a feat is obviously superior to most other feats, the chances that it sees use increase and you end up with the same builds over and over again.

[Edit]: Just for comparison, I know of only a single official 3.5e race that grants +2 to Int with LA +0 (Gray Elf, with -2 to Str) and I see no reason to think why it wouldn't be the obvious choice for Int-based classes and scoundrel type classes. That's how much another +1 to the modifier of the right ability can affect a character's effectiveness.

The rogue seems to be able to coup de grace as a sneak attack, isn't this a bit excessive? Again its hard to tell for me because I can't see all the rule interactions. At 15 level your sneak attack is 8d6, 10d6 total damage with a short sword for coup de grace and lets say str 14 for another +4. That's 39+10=49 dc save, it pretty much kills anything you can sneak attack automatically. Considering you have anti immunity to
    3 enemy types for sneak attack as a class feature and darkstalker it, at least initially, seems to me very few enemies will be able to do sth about this.
    This is absolutely a correct observation.
    I'll need to see how I resolve this issue and I'd really prefer not to resort to a daily #uses limit, but rather make it more situational.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.

Just an observation: you can't coup-de-grace creatures with no anatomy - even if you know how to effectively SA them.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

If there's one thing that I'm sure of, is that my classes are anything but vulnerable.
    None of the core classes comes on its own anywhere near the level of survivability as my classes.
    Oh absolutely, but still magic items are pretty big numeric power booster. I guess only if I actually sat down and created characters with your classes I would have an informed opinion and even then that can't replace actually playtesting them.

Going back to "Encounter-CRs and XP Awards", I think that magical gear should affect XP calculations if and only if it makes the encounter more difficult in practice.
    Now the DM only needs assessing what was the in-practice CR.
    That way, your notion comes into practice on one hand and is very simple to execute on the other hand.
    I was talking about getting xp from the treasure you bring back, not about magical gear affecting xp award calculations.

I think that using different versions of feats would probably turn out to make things more confusing.
    And on that note, another thing I forgot to mention in monster adaptation is to replace omitted feats (e.g. Power Attack)
    Understood, btw feats is one aspect of your system I have explored the least of.

Since each level comes with an ability boost, any dump stat means that you have less ability scores to put those ability boosts into.
    The save-redundancy approach gives more incentive to make previously unorthodox character builds and give more room for players to build the characters they envision rather than always building given classes around the same ability scores or end up shooting themselves in the leg.
    I am a bit confused on how this is achieved exactly. I am trying to think of some examples:
    You can now play a wizard that focuses on strength a bit more than constitution without gimping his fortitude save, or a fighter than can have higher charisma than wisdom which is unlikely in 3.5 and a cleric with high intelligence and low dexterity.
    Basically stength, intelligence and charisma and especially strength and charisma have the potential to not be dump stats as often?

A far better ability package to start with plus an ability boost at each level practically guarantee that MAD is far less of an issue now.
    Also, I wanna talk about spellcasters overcoming DCs. A few years back I played a 6th level Beguiler and made an excessive use of SoS effects. I was so good at it that I got kicked out of the group for ruining the fun for all the other players. I'm more than ok with SoS effects being a gambit. This would give more room to damage effects and save (partial) effects.

The same as for official 3.5e. When facing a really tough cookie, you should really give SoS effects (which are basically an "I win" button) a serious consideration before spamming them.
    Oh if the dc's will be the same as for official 3.5 then they are more than enough. I was pretty sure the dc's would be ok at low levels, but I am a bit worried about high levels. You will have less gold and more expensive magic items so most likely a weaker headband of intelligence cloak of charisma. I was also worried about the split stats and the fact that a wizard will need both intelligence and charisma, but it is true that the extra ability points make up for that.

1. Less means of offsetting gear reduction.
    2. Less room for maneuvering with character builds.
    Hmm I 'll run it then as you propose, though I never really minded 2 and perhaps 1 can be solved with just more treasure.

Doesn't bother me, but this would practically remove the age differences between the races and make longer lifespan a no-reason for choosing a race for having a longer lifespan.
    True.
    Its funny because part of it is ironing the mechanical differences between players, after all races are supposedly mechanically equal, and the other part affects setting assumptions.
    As things are there is no direct explanation why elfs don't just dominate other races by aquiring levels. At older edition level limits performed that role, now you have to say elves are bored, barren, mad or utterly detach level gaining from the passage of time.

In any case to be honest I don't especially mind how the DM goes about this issue.

Absolutely not. This would practically make this option a no-brainer. You should only use it if it really makes a difference for you – and usually every class has that one ability score that really affects its power level. Like any other benefit, you should spend your resources on it only when it counts (i.e. raising the chosen ability score from an odd number to the next even value). If it makes a difference – take it. If not – don't.
    In a perfect world, all feats are made equal and choices amount to player's vision of the character. Still, I'm trying to bring feats as close as possible to one another. When a feat is obviously superior to most other feats, the chances that it sees use increase and you end up with the same builds over and over again.

[Edit]: Just for comparison, I know of only a single official 3.5e race that grants +2 to Int with LA +0 (Gray Elf, with -2 to Str) and I see no reason to think why it wouldn't be the obvious choice for Int-based classes and scoundrel type classes. That's how much another +1 to the modifier of the right ability can affect a character's effectiveness.
    Oh yes it did seem a tad too good to me. My point is you should then change the text to " Once per 6 character levels, a general feat can be used to raise one ability score and ability limits by +1."

This is absolutely a correct observation.
    I'll need to see how I resolve this issue and I'd really prefer not to resort to a daily #uses limit, but rather make it more situational.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Yes I would also dislike uses per day for sth like this.
    Perhaps in the same conditions mentioned in the rogue entry (full/standard action and unobserved) double the sneak attack damage? At level 15 tripple it?
    Or simply add your dex mod to the sneak attack damage die?

Just an observation: you can't coup-de-grace creatures with no anatomy - even if you know how to effectively SA them.
    Ah I see, you are correct, that makes it much more tame then.

Other stuff:

The jester class you have is from Frank and K's dungeonomicon, so author isn't unknown.

The druid's Avenger of nature ability says you add twice your wisdom bonus, do you mean add one time your wisdom bonus and one your charisma bonus or two times your wisdom bonus and one time your charisma bonus?
    A bit of silly aging nitpick (another point about aging for some reason!) but druid turning into a plant type could affect his aging, though he does overcome this totally at 20th level.

I get the feeling from reading your houserules, that you might appreciate adventurer conqueror king's domain managament rules. I suggest you check them out, maybeyou will find sth usable in them, even if they are made for classic dnd.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

I was talking about getting xp from the treasure you bring back, not about magical gear affecting xp award calculations.
    I know how it went in prev editions.
    I'm against it for 2 reasons:
    1. It makes no sense: items don't teach you new ways of how to cope with challenges, so there's no reason why they'd take direct part in XP accumulation.
    2. It's an effective way of producing malcontent players and an ever increasing pressure on the DM from the players' side (which is bound to lead to WBL incline). Been there, done that.

Understood, btw feats is one aspect of your system I have explored the least of.
    Like everything else in the overhaul, everything that I've done with feats was motivated by 2 main goals:
    1. Bringing them closer together – to make feat selection revolve more around vision of character than choosing optimal builds.
    2. Making any imaginable character concept viable.
    Also, some of them are essential since there are no PrCs in the overhaul.

I am a bit confused on how this is achieved exactly. I am trying to think of some examples:
    You can now play a wizard that focuses on strength a bit more than constitution without gimping his fortitude save, or a fighter than can have higher charisma than wisdom which is unlikely in 3.5 and a cleric with high intelligence and low dexterity.
    Basically stength, intelligence and charisma and especially strength and charisma have the potential to not be dump stats as often?
    Not just those in specific, but basically that.

I was pretty sure the dc's would be ok at low levels, but I am a bit worried about high levels. You will have less gold and more expensive magic items so most likely a weaker headband of intelligence cloak of charisma.
    If you look at "Offensive and Defensive Magical Plusses" spoiler (post #4), you'll see that there's no longer a headband of intelligence or a cloak of charisma.

Oh yes it did seem a tad too good to me. My point is you should then change the text to " Once per 6 character levels, a general feat can be used to raise one ability score and ability limits by +1."
    Go it.

Yes I would also dislike uses per day for sth like this.
    Perhaps in the same conditions mentioned in the rogue entry (full/standard action and unobserved) double the sneak attack damage? At level 15 tripple it?
    Or simply add your dex mod to the sneak attack damage die?
    I believe that the problem is now taken care of.
    Also, I think you had a slight error in the DC calculation. 15th level grants 6 SA dice, and a medium short sword deals 1d6 base damage, so that's 7d6 overall (not including Improved Sneak Attack special ability, which can push it to 9d6 at 15th).

The jester class you have is from Frank and K's dungeonomicon, so author isn't unknown.
    Yes, that was a leftover.
    The credit is in the Credits section.

The druid's Avenger of nature ability says you add twice your wisdom bonus, do you mean add one time your wisdom bonus and one your charisma bonus or two times your wisdom bonus and one time your charisma bonus?
    1. Cha was never a part of this ability. It's all about willpower and intuition, not force of personality.
    2. I re-worded Avenger of Nature and modified it a bit (+1 per level is a bit crazy, so I toned it down).

A bit of silly aging nitpick (another point about aging for some reason!) but druid turning into a plant type could affect his aging, though he does overcome this totally at 20th level.
    1. Extending character age twice via class features seems redundant to me.
    2. I'm already scratching the content limit for the Druid entry. This might come at the expense of more important future corrections/changes.

I get the feeling from reading your houserules, that you might appreciate adventurer conqueror king's domain managament rules. I suggest you check them out, maybeyou will find sth usable in them, even if they are made for classic dnd.
    Are you talking about the STRONGHOLDS AND DOMAINS section (p.125)?
    Seems like an expansion of what's suggested in Rules Cyclopedia (BECMI).
    I'm not categorically against stronghold rules, but it seems quite tedious for players that just wanna sit around the table and have fun.
    1. It promotes individual sessions with the DM, which is bad for group meetings.
    2. If two or more players start messing around with strongholds, this might get real messy very fast.

On that note, mass combat rules could be a nice addition....... provided you don't get too much into rules about how to build a low-level army.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I know how it went in prev editions.
    I'm against it for 2 reasons:
    1. It makes no sense: items don't teach you new ways of how to cope with challenges, so there's no reason why they'd take direct part in XP accumulation.
    2. It's an effective way of producing malcontent players and an ever increasing pressure on the DM from the players' side (which is bound to lead to WBL incline). Been there, done that.
    I think it works pretty well in old school games, if i were to implement it in 3.5 would be in a different way. Money you spend on class stuff like training, better training equipment, magic research, temple building, running your army, guild, academy or temple, buying ancient scrolls regarding your class grant you xp. The ration of xp/gp would have to obviously become smaller and smaller as you lvl up though.

Just to clarify I am not suggesting you implement it in your houserules, I simply mentioned my own preference two posts back.

As an aside though how would you feel about a level progression where is easier to gain the lower lvls than the higher ones?

If you look at "Offensive and Defensive Magical Plusses" spoiler (post #4), you'll see that there's no longer a headband of intelligence or a cloak of charisma.
    So there is no way to buff your spell dc's which based on charisma? So lvl 20 wizard who starts with 16 charisma will have 21 at level 20, which will make his dc's 16-24?
    Those seem too low to me.
    Also if you cast magic vestment to a ring does it give a deflection bonus? If no is it even possible to gain a deflection bonus to ac from a magic item?

I believe that the problem is now taken care of.
    Also, I think you had a slight error in the DC calculation. 15th level grants 6 SA dice, and a medium short sword deals 1d6 base damage, so that's 7d6 overall (not including Improved Sneak Attack special ability, which can push it to 9d6 at 15th).
    Hmm I think I didn't use your critical rules but the original critical rules. I also forgot to add any bonus damage due to a magic weapon.
    In any case I think your solution works.

1. Cha was never a part of this ability. It's all about willpower and intuition, not force of personality.
    2. I re-worded Avenger of Nature and modified it a bit (+1 per level is a bit crazy, so I toned it down).
    Yes but charisma adds to all save dc's for spellcasting. So its charisma bonus+ wisdom bonus at the very least.

1. Extending character age twice via class features seems redundant to me.
    2. I'm already scratching the content limit for the Druid entry. This might come at the expense of more important future corrections/changes.
    Agreed.

Are you talking about the STRONGHOLDS AND DOMAINS section?
    Seems like an expansion of what's suggested in Rules Cyclopedia (BECMI).
    I'm not categorically against stronghold rules, but it seems quite tedious for players that just wanna sit around the table and have fun.
    1. It promotes individual sessions with the DM, which is bad for group meetings.
    2. If two or more players start messing around with strongholds, this might get real messy very fast.

On that note, mass combat rules could be a nice addition....... provided you don't get too much into rules about how to build a low-level army.
    Yes, regarding individual sessions, I have always handed these things with skype and emails. If a player doesn't want to partake that's cool too.

There is a supplement for mass combat for the same game. Its called domains of war, though I suppose it uses rules based on he originals economy so ymmv.

On the other side pathfinder has some rules (Kingmaker/Ultimate Campaign) and expansions-fixes on those rules exists from legendary games (Ultimate Battles/Rulership) no idea if they are worth it though.
    Last edited by VladtheLad; 2018-10-06 at 03:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

As an aside though how would you feel about a level progression where is easier to gain the lower lvls than the higher ones?
    I think it would take the wind out of players' motivation to continue at high levels.
    My best practice with the game experience and fun is roughly a level once every 4 or 5 gaming sessions. That's about 1 level per 20 encounters. Just the right time to experience all the goodies that were gained in the current level and move on.
    Making it an ever increasing uphill climb would probably make things feel tedious.

So there is no way to buff your spell dc's which based on charisma? So lvl 20 wizard who starts with 16 charisma will have 21 at level 20
    1. Eagle's Splendor raises Cha.
    2. If you start with 16 Cha, you still have a racial limit of 18 (unless you're a dwarf or some other race with inherent Cha penalties). So that's 23 of the board – 26 (i.e. +8) if you put 3 general feats into it.
    3. I assume that it's within reason that a 9th level spell could raise an ability score by +6. Make an appropriate item and you have it covered.
    That's potentially +11 at level 20.
    I really don't think that you need more than this.

Also if you cast magic vestment to a ring does it give a deflection bonus? If no is it even possible to gain a deflection bonus to ac from a magic item?
    I'd count magic vestment as deflection bonus, since it includes "an outfit of regular clothing".
    Also see "'Personal' Spell Effects" spoiler under "Redefining Magical Items' Creation"

Yes but charisma adds to all save dc's for spellcasting. So its charisma bonus+ wisdom bonus at the very least.
    Absolutely. Features always come in addition to the general rules.

There is a supplement for mass combat for the same game. Its called domains of war, though I suppose it uses rules based on he originals economy so ymmv.
    Couldn't find it.

On the other side pathfinder has some rules (Kingmaker/Ultimate Campaign) and expansions-fixes on those rules exists from legendary games (Ultimate Battles/Rulership) no idea if they are worth it though.
    I'm not fascinated enough by the subject to devise rules for mass combat, but if I find anything that will sit well with me I'll reference it.
    In the meantime, I've referenced the stronghold rules you suggested (on post #29).

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

1. Eagle's Splendor raises Cha.
    2. If you start with 16 Cha, you still have a racial limit of 18 (unless you're a dwarf or some other race with inherent Cha penalties). So that's 23 of the board – 26 (i.e. +8) if you put 3 general feats into it.
    3. I assume that it's within reason that a 9th level spell could raise an ability score by +6. Make an appropriate item and you have it covered.
    That's potentially +11 at level 20.
    I really don't think that you need more than this.
    Missed that you push racial ability score limits and not your intial score.
    +11 is certainly more than enough, that said it would require though 3 general feats, starting with 16 charisma, investing 7 levels of raised ability scores and an item that costs 9splvl*6000 constant*1,85 caster level=99.900gp which is excessive for half WBL and I am not sure I missed anything.
    Ofcourse even a +4 charisma item would be okeyish and that would be much much cheaper.
    To be honest 3 general feats are also a bit much considering you need another two to make sure you have good saves at high levels, so reach 5 feats already commited.
    However with no general feats 22 charisma and a +4 you can reach 26 charisma which is workable.

If you are lvl 1, with 32 point buy and the stats are sth like
    str 8 dex 14 con 14 int 14 wis 10 cha 16, you would end up with
    At level 20 you would end up with str 8 dex 14 con 20 int 22 wis 10 cha 22
    with no feats or magic items.

As an aside does the mage have a limit on spells known? How does int help him, with extra spells known, if he hasn't a limit on them?

I'd count magic vestment as deflection bonus, since it includes "an outfit of regular clothing".
    Also see "'Personal' Spell Effects" spoiler under "Redefining Magical Items' Creation"
    So you can have magic vestment on you armor giving you an armor bonus and one on your ring giving you a deflection bonus?
    Or does it always grant a deflection bonus wherever you put it?

What? Magic vestment isn't a personal effect.

Absolutely. Features always come in addition to the general rules.
    Yes, but the "twice your wisdom modifier" made me think maybe it was a left over from when druid used wisdom modifier for spells, that's why I mentioned it.

Couldn't find it.
    Stupid mistake, Domains at war.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Missed that you push racial ability score limits and not your intial score.
    +11 is certainly more than enough, that said it would require though 3 general feats, starting with 16 charisma, investing 7 levels of raised ability scores and an item that costs 9splvl*6000 constant*1,85 caster level=99.900gp which is excessive for half WBL and I am not sure I missed anything.
    Ofcourse even a +4 charisma item would be okeyish and that would be much much cheaper.
    To be honest 3 general feats are also a bit much considering you need another two to make sure you have good saves at high levels, so reach 5 feats already commited.
    However with no general feats 22 charisma and a +4 you can reach 26 charisma which is workable.
    That's right. +8 is definitely solid.
    It's ok to be a pig and go for broke toward +11, but....... it takes a heavy toll and players should make their own calculations if they're willing to pay it.
    Raising the DC bar by +3 (+5 for some spells with Greater Spell Focus) is a significant power boost. It's supposed to have a significant toll on character resources.

If you are lvl 1, with 32 point buy and the stats are sth like
    str 8 dex 14 con 14 int 14 wis 10 cha 16, you would end up with
    At level 20 you would end up with str 8 dex 14 con 20 int 22 wis 10 cha 22
    with no feats or magic items.
    Check out "Optional Rules & Brews" spoiler at post #29. In it there's a link: "Alternative Stat Rolling Rules".
    In a game where it's a lot harder to abuse stats, that proposal doesn't seem outrageous to me.
    . . . but I guess it's a matter of personal taste, that's why those links are placed at post #29 rather than post #5.

As an aside does the mage have a limit on spells known? How does int help him, with extra spells known, if he hasn't a limit on them?
    Under "Arcane Spellcasting" the Mage has an inner spoiler: "Mage Spells-Permanently-Memorized".
    - Those are the class' Spells Known: the base package that the character keeps even if she's somehow deprived of her spellbooks.
    - On top of that you have a small pool of floating memorization: some flexible daily addition to play with.
    Both amount to a bit less than what an official Wizard can memorize daily. But...
    - On top of that there's the casting from an open book part: I've seen that more than once in fantasy films/series. That's also the part of not losing a day for making bad memorization choices.
    Without spellcasting a mage has absolutely nothing, so it only makes sense that the Mage class gets the most out of them.

So you can have magic vestment on you armor giving you an armor bonus and one on your ring giving you a deflection bonus?
    Or does it always grant a deflection bonus wherever you put it?
    Stat benefits from any given spell are expressed in only one manner. This is something that seems to me to belong to the "goes w/o saying" part.
    Either armor or deflection, not both. My common sense goes with deflection.

Yes, but the "twice your wisdom modifier" made me think maybe it was a left over from when druid used wisdom modifier for spells, that's why I mentioned it.
    The Druid still uses Wis as its primary casting stat.
    It's divine spellcasting (the Priest) that is changed to Cha – for 3 reasons:
    - You need inner conviction (force of personality) to follow your faith.
    - You need to be charismatic to convert others to your faith.
    - Turn/Rebuke Undead is Cha-based.

Stupid mistake, Domains at war.
    Way too long. It's an entire system in and on itself.
    BECMI Rules Cyclopedia (TSR 1071, 1992) had something a lot shorter and way more coherent (but that proposal was quite inaccurate and hand-wavy).

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Sorry for responging late but here it goes.

That's right. +8 is definitely solid.
    It's ok to be a pig and go for broke toward +11, but....... it takes a heavy toll and players should make their own calculations if they're willing to pay it.
    Raising the DC bar by +3 (+5 for some spells with Greater Spell Focus) is a significant power boost. It's supposed to have a significant toll on character resources.
    I still think its too much, especially compared to how much the +2 dc costs, but that is easily fixed by making it a 6th level spell instead of a 9th level one.
    In any case the changes in gp magic item calculation are many and I need to invest more time to fully grasp them.

Check out "Optional Rules & Brews" spoiler at post #29. In it there's a link: "Alternative Stat Rolling Rules".
    In a game where it's a lot harder to abuse stats, that proposal doesn't seem outrageous to me.
    . . . but I guess it's a matter of personal taste, that's why those links are placed at post #29 rather than post #5.
    Yeah that would fit your overhaul better.

Under "Arcane Spellcasting" the Mage has an inner spoiler: "Mage Spells-Permanently-Memorized".
    - Those are the class' Spells Known: the base package that the character keeps even if she's somehow deprived of her spellbooks.
    - On top of that you have a small pool of floating memorization: some flexible daily addition to play with.
    Both amount to a bit less than what an official Wizard can memorize daily. But...
    - On top of that there's the casting from an open book part: I've seen that more than once in fantasy films/series. That's also the part of not losing a day for making bad memorization choices.
    Without spellcasting a mage has absolutely nothing, so it only makes sense that the Mage class gets the most out of them.
    I had found it at some point and then for some reason I kept missing it.
    So intelligence adds to the spells known per day in a sense, or more precicely to available spells known for casting.

Stat benefits from any given spell are expressed in only one manner. This is something that seems to me to belong to the "goes w/o saying" part.
    Either armor or deflection, not both. My common sense goes with deflection.
    Okey so you can at max add a +5 to your ac from magic item bonuses? Barring increasing your dexterity?
    Maybe I am missing sth, but I can't think of anything else.
    Ah maybe you could have an item that gives you permanent barkskin?

The Druid still uses Wis as its primary casting stat.
    It's divine spellcasting (the Priest) that is changed to Cha – for 3 reasons:
    - You need inner conviction (force of personality) to follow your faith.
    - You need to be charismatic to convert others to your faith.
    - Turn/Rebuke Undead is Cha-based.
    Oh didn't mean he didn't use wis as a primary casing stat, I was talking about spell dc calculation, where everything uses charisma as far as I understand
    Last edited by VladtheLad; 2018-10-08 at 08:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

I still think its too much, especially compared to how much the +2 dc costs, but that is easily fixed by making it a 6th level spell instead of a 9th level one.
    In any case the changes in gp magic item calculation are many and I need to invest more time to fully grasp them.
    That's fine. Remember that all game rules – official as well as unofficial – are all suggestions. You can stretch them as you see fit.
    My objective was to tell stories more about awesome characters and less about awesome gear.
    Just note to be careful how you up the numbers. Too much would make things too easy for the players, which would come at the expense of sense of accomplishment.

So intelligence adds to the spells known per day in a sense, or more precicely to available spells known for casting.
    If to be accurate, Int adds to the pool of knowledge (i.e. known spell) for all casters.
    Specifically for Mages (Int-based casters), it also adds to their tolerance pool / spell points (according to the spellcasting mechanism you choose to adopt).

Okey so you can at max add a +5 to your ac from magic item bonuses? Barring increasing your dexterity?
    Maybe I am missing sth, but I can't think of anything else.
    Ah maybe you could have an item that gives you permanent barkskin?
    Indeed that could work... and then there's also "Bestow Spell-Like Ability", along with its continuation feat "Spell-like to Supernatural Conversion" (which is a bit more costly in terms of character resources, but also way more permanent).
    I'm considering upping the cost of the latter when it comes to spells with short duration. Not sure by how much ATM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Status Report since last update:

• Mirror Dancer and Colossus Hammer classes added. With a high probability, the last classes I homebrew for this project (or anything for that matter).
    • Craft skill resolved for high-level play.
    • Giant races redesigned.
    • New monster added: Chupacabra.
    • Revenant imported from 5e (that one’s a big “should’ve-been in 3.Xe”)
    • A handful of monsters tweaked slightly.
    • Armor and DR rules added.
    • Aasimar & Tiefling adapted to the codex as LA +0 races.
    • "Restrained" condition adopted from 5e and adjusted for 3e mechanics.
    • Weapons section enriched with more weapons and more options.
    • Gravity Mage concept introduced
    • Classes by Frequency of Appearance distinction added
    • A few more feats, spells and invocations added.
    • A handful of spells imported (referenced) from 5e.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

A small update this time:
    • Cyclops added to the New Monsters section (post #31).
    • Tortel added to the Races section (post #6)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Hey Nonsi, hopefully you are still brewing in this thread. I have read your rules some more and I have some questions, maybe even suggestions.

1)Why do racial hd get max hp? Is it because you try to differenciate between hp from experience and hp from physical qualities/race. Or is there a balance reason?

2) Regarding SLA you said:
    Nonsi:
    No and yes.
    SLAs always had #uses per day and never counted as regular spellcasting. No reason to change that.
    Spellcasting should work the same for everyone, otherwise it'll complicate things.
    So are SLAs affected by Severe conditions effects, Battlefield control spells and Casting Defensively under the Mechanics of Spellcasting? If yes, aren't spellcasting monsters nerfed pretty hard? Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, I just want to clarify

3) You mentioned you would change the feats the monsters have to your new versions.
    Maybe you should mention in your houserules how toughness, combat reflexes and save enhancers change the monsters. Toughness especially. Picking an edge case the Tarrasque will have 4194 hp which seems excessive (I counted toughness only 5 times not 6 as it can't take it 6 times according to your rules).
    On that note toughness seems excessive to me in general even for player characters.

4)Your item creation system doesn't differentiate between durations of spells. For example divine agility is a pretty good spell to put in an item. Granting +10 dex for 32.400gp? As an aside you can use Conviction at caster level 18th for the +5 bonus to saves, for 11.400gp as a replacement for cloaks of resistance.

Maybe you should factor the spell duration to the price of permanent items. For example spells at 1 min per level have the normal cost and spells with lower duration cost more while spells with a higher duration cost less.

5) Darkstalker ignoring blindsight is super wrong. Many creatures with blindsight have no spot or listen ranks and are blind, you could make it so that dark stalker turns blindsight into blindsense or tremorsense.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Nonsi, hopefully you are still brewing in this thread.
    Yes, still brewing. But it’s getting more and more challenging to find new ideas, improvements or lingering errors that require corrections.

1)Why do racial hd get max hp? Is it because you try to differenciate between hp from experience and hp from physical qualities/race. Or is there a balance reason?
    Among the more frustrating things I remember when starting new parties was the high level of fatalities associated with pure bad luck of dice rolls at early levels that constantly required the DM to cheat to avoid TPKs and forced repeated stat-rolling for new characters.

On the monsters’ side... with personal experience, players find more and more techniques to increase the party’s damage output, which means that if they manage to ensure a 50% hit ratio and their opponents don’t have a massive amount of HP, the encounters usually end within 4 rounds.

So are SLAs affected by Severe conditions effects, Battlefield control spells and Casting Defensively under the Mechanics of Spellcasting? If yes, aren't spellcasting monsters nerfed pretty hard? Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, I just want to clarify
    This is offset by the versatility that spells grant. Every spellcaster should have fallback spells that are maybe less potent, but easier to execute.

3) You mentioned you would change the feats the monsters have to your new versions.
    Maybe you should mention in your houserules how toughness, combat reflexes and save enhancers change the monsters. Toughness especially. Picking an edge case the Tarrasque will have 4194 hp which seems excessive (I counted toughness only 5 times not 6 as it can't take it 6 times according to your rules).
    On that note toughness seems excessive to me in general even for player characters.
    I’m not sure how you’re getting those numbers.
    The official Tarrasque has 48d10+594 (858 hp). Even maxed-out, this amounts to 1074.
    Con 35 = +12. Therefore, 5 times (12 +48) equals 300.
    This gives us a total of 1374, and even that’s only when taking things to the extreme.

4)Your item creation system doesn't differentiate between durations of spells. For example divine agility is a pretty good spell to put in an item. Granting +10 dex for 32.400gp? As an aside you can use Conviction at caster level 18th for the +5 bonus to saves, for 11.400gp as a replacement for cloaks of resistance.

Maybe you should factor the spell duration to the price of permanent items. For example spells at 1 min per level have the normal cost and spells with lower duration cost more while spells with a higher duration cost less.
    This is odd. I was sure I had this issue addressed. Maybe it was a suggestion that I made as a reply and forgot to incorporate it into the codex.
    I’ll give it some thought to figure out how durations affect prices of permanent items (I’d probably limit thing to 2 or 3 steps at most).

5) Darkstalker ignoring blindsight is super wrong. Many creatures with blindsight have no spot or listen ranks and are blind, you could make it so that dark stalker turns blindsight into blindsense or tremorsense.
    Or maybe make Blindsense would grant +10 to Spot while Blindsight would grant +20.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Yes, still brewing. But it’s getting more and more challenging to find new ideas, improvements or lingering errors that require corrections.
    Well that's good in a sense.

Among the more frustrating things I remember when starting new parties was the high level of fatalities associated with pure bad luck of dice rolls at early levels that constantly required the DM to cheat to avoid TPKs and forced repeated stat-rolling for new characters.

On the monsters’ side... with personal experience, players find more and more techniques to increase the party’s damage output, which means that if they manage to ensure a 50% hit ratio and their opponents don’t have a massive amount of HP, the encounters usually end within 4 rounds.

Ah I see, so its more like a balance issue.

This is offset by the versatility that spells grant. Every spellcaster should have fallback spells that are maybe less potent, but easier to execute.

I’m not sure how you’re getting those numbers.
    The official Tarrasque has 48d10+594 (858 hp). Even maxed-out, this amounts to 1074.
    Con 35 = +12. Therefore, 5 times (12 +48) equals 300.
    This gives us a total of 1374, and even that’s only when taking things to the extreme.
    I read that toughness grants you (con modifier+1) hp per level not con mod+1hp per level. Ok that's fine.

This is odd. I was sure I had this issue addressed. Maybe it was a suggestion that I made as a reply and forgot to incorporate it into the codex.
    I’ll give it some thought to figure out how durations affect prices of permanent items (I’d probably limit thing to 2 or 3 steps at most).
    Sounds fine.

Or maybe make Blindsense would grant +10 to Spot while Blindsight would grant +20.
    I don't think blindsense needs changing and it seems this would make these abilities even better.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds fine.
    What do you think about the following solution?

Optional: Spell Durations and Permanency
    Spells with duration of 24 hours or longer duration all use the formula given above for permanent magical effects.
    Spells with a shorter duration add 10%, 20%, 40% and 80% respectively (see "Spell Durations Redefined" above)
    Motivation: Duration is a major balancing factor of spells. More potent effects are given shorter durations, so it only makes sense that turning them into permanent effects should be more costly.

I don't think blindsense needs changing and it seems this would make these abilities even better.
    And what if that clause was specifically aimed toward Darkstalker?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Hey Nonsi, hopefully you are still brewing in this thread. I have read your rules some more and I have some questions, maybe even suggestions.
    Sheriff: Thread necromancy is generally prohibited here. If you find an old Homebrew thread and have questions, try PMing the brewer and they can answer or revive the thread.
    Forum Rules

Roland in the Dark by Djinn in Tonic

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff: Thread necromancy is generally prohibited here. If you find an old Homebrew thread and have questions, try PMing the brewer and they can answer or revive the thread.

Greetings.
    I'd appreciate it if this thread could be excluded from the Thread-Necromancy policy.
    This overhaul is an ongoing project and as far a I have a say on that matter it remains active for as long as I'm taking part of the activity here.
    I believe that it would be pointless and counterproductive on my part to bump it periodically just for the sake of making a statement that it's still active.
    I took every reasonable step I could think of to keep it alive. It seems to me that periodic bumping would be a step too far.

Thanks.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could request that it be stickied, I suppose.
    Last edited by Durzan; 2019-06-10 at 04:30 PM.
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durzan View Post
    You could request that it be stickied, I suppose.
    If only...

While the thought is by all means appealing, AFAIK sticky threads were always restricted here to the category of "serves the general public's interest" and never for someone's personal homebrew materials (except for The Giant... privileges of rank ).
    I seriously doubt they'll make an exception on my behalf - definitely not when 3e is no longer the official D&D edition.
    It's a nice thought though

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, given that 3e activity is extremely slow here lately (with even less noticeable amount of exchange of ideas), I thought of bumping this project to try and liven things up.
    Everybody's welcome to plunder ideas and use/abuse them as they see fit.
    Questions and comments regarding this thread's contents are also welcome.