New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Post the worst player-characters you can come up with

Take the Disembodied Brain disadvantage in GURPS. Spend the 100 bonus points this gives you (plus however many points you get at chargen) on whatever you like, provided none of it whatsoever is spent on abilities (like Telekinesis) that offset the disadvantages of being a Disembodied Brain.

You now have a character who cannot move, cannot manipulate or perceive the world, dies in 1 hit, and cannot communicate.

For extra bonus points, you might as well take as many minor mental disadvantages like Vows, Phobias, and so on as you want. After all, no one will ever, ever know.
    Last edited by Kami2awa; 2015-04-22 at 05:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Adult sandworm from Dune for an underwater adventure.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Oh, man, deadEarth!

I remember someone rolled a character with Nine Lives - the first eight times they died, they would come back to life the next day. Then they rolled for an power I can't recall the name of, which caused them to explode in a massive and violent blast when they died, which seemed fitting.

Then they rolled the Blue Death, a terrible sickness that causes you to live a length of time based on your Constitution, let out a piercing psionic scream, and then die.

So, as they put it, "somewhere in the wastes, an old woman sits up on her bed, screams loudly, and explodes. The next day, in the crater, she wakes up, screams loudly, and then explodes. This happens for the next week and a half until she finally dies for real."
    This is the most hilariorrorous thing ever.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Oh, man, deadEarth!

I remember someone rolled a character with Nine Lives - the first eight times they died, they would come back to life the next day. Then they rolled for an power I can't recall the name of, which caused them to explode in a massive and violent blast when they died, which seemed fitting.

Then they rolled the Blue Death, a terrible sickness that causes you to live a length of time based on your Constitution, let out a piercing psionic scream, and then die.

So, as they put it, "somewhere in the wastes, an old woman sits up on her bed, screams loudly, and explodes. The next day, in the crater, she wakes up, screams loudly, and then explodes. This happens for the next week and a half until she finally dies for real."
    Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    This is the most hilariorrorous thing ever.

It makes me want to run an implied DeadEarth campaign. Just let the players roll characters and try to figure out what sort of lives they would've had to led to end so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I've been able to look up the second character I made for deadEarth. He's a bald, hunchbacked, odorous, odious little man that causes festering lesions to spontaneously appear in everyone within a 15 foot radius (friend, foe and self). Furthermore, he's incurably insane (his insanity is contagious, by the way) and he is an expert at building cyborgs, military robots and various cybernetic implants. In a setting with the technological acumen appropriate to a Mad Max or the original Planet of the Apes movie.

Oh yes, and did I also mention that he is a 'Typhoid Mary' for bone cancer? He does that, too. It's a thing that he does.

I don't remember if I ever made a third character, after that. #2 sounds like a lot of fun to play.... I might do it some time, just to see what happens. It can hardly be worse, can it?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

I'll see you and raise you one "pretty kitty" lunar social build in exalted.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    It makes me want to run an implied DeadEarth campaign. Just let the players roll characters and try to figure out what sort of lives they would've had to lead to end so badly.
    That's ****ing brilliant, man.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Ahhh, DeadEarth! Hearken now to one chump's efforts to make a character in that game:

Rikky the beautiful dead eunuch butler (DOA)
    Headless Fred, the sneaky surrender-monkey (DOA)
    Last Chance Jones (Not dead, but can't DO anything.)

And then he was a dirty cheater and made a FOURTH character, who won the super power lottery:
    Ian Jackson, Crotch-Fungus GOD of deadEarth
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Ahhh, DeadEarth! Hearken now to one chump's efforts to make a character in that game:

And then he was a dirty cheater and made a FOURTH character, who won the super power lottery:
    These radiation manipulations are AMAZING.

I'm currently laughing my ass off

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

deadEarth's chargen gets extra sadistic credit for putting off the random death rolls until the end of the process. Immediately after a block of 100 other die rolls related to skills.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

11. - Top - End - #191

SwashbucklerGuy

I found a deadEarth PDF, and generated three characters. #1 died extremely unceremoniously from a "you just die" radiation, #2 I have dubbed Professor Dan; he's got a good amount of mechanical skills, uses a bow and arrow even though he's a qualified gunsmith, but is a massively unlucky bastard.

#3: Grootbeard the Orky Pirate.

Naturally good at boats, hitting things with swords, hitting things with two swords, as well as metallurgy and robotics. Naturally terrible at spotting traps.

His mutations:

563: Death Sentence- If he tells you you're dead, then you die. You literally just die.
    479: Fleet- Extra-difficult to hit while moving in combat.
    153: Hairy. Is hairy.
    568: Warlike. Reroll all 1s during combat, reroll all 6s outside of combat (everything becomes a natural ability in combat, and becomes a natural inability out of combat. Yes, I will totally walk around punching a squirrel all day so that I'm better at all things).

My favorite...
    349: Vegetation. Cross-mutated with plants or fungi in your local area, obtain d6 (6) attributes of them at your choice.

Now you'd think this is a situation where attribute would have a capital "A", and would mean something specific in the system.

Nope. You just pick traits that certain plants or fungi have, and you now have them.

I went for a coating of poisonous resin on my skin like poison ivy, being deciduous like oak trees (shed my hair entirely during the winter), able to cure common diseases like penicillin with the aforementioned poisonous resin, having a coating of bark over my skin (which my hair grows on top of? [unless it's cold outside?]), being able to photosynthesize, and being able to reproduce via spores.
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-04-23 at 02:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I found a deadEarth PDF, and generated three characters. #1 died extremely unceremoniously from a "you just die" radiation, #2 I have dubbed Professor Dan; he's got a good amount of mechanical skills, uses a bow and arrow even though he's a qualified gunsmith, but is a massively unlucky bastard.

Naturally good at boats, hitting things with swords, hitting things with two swords, as well as metallurgy and robotics. Naturally terrible at spotting traps.

His mutations:

563: Death Sentence- If he tells you you're dead, then you die. You literally just die.
    479: Fleet- Extra-difficult to hit while moving in combat.
    153: Hairy. Is hairy.
    568: Warlike. Reroll all 1s during combat, reroll all 6s outside of combat (everything becomes a natural ability in combat, and becomes a natural inability out of combat. Yes, I will totally walk around punching a squirrel all day so that I'm better at all things).

My favorite...
    349: Vegetation. Cross-mutated with plants or fungi in your local area, obtain d6 (6) attributes of them at your choice.

Now you'd think this is a situation where attribute would have a capital "A", and would mean something specific in the system.

Nope. You just pick traits that certain plants or fungi have, and you now have them.

I went for a coating of poisonous resin on my skin like poison ivy, being deciduous like oak trees (shed my hair entirely during the winter), able to cure common diseases like penicillin with the aforementioned poisonous resin, having a coating of bark over my skin (which my hair grows on top of? [unless it's cold outside?]), being able to photosynthesize, and being able to reproduce via spores.
    Anyone willing to start a PbP of this? I'm going to try rolling up a set of characters next and I'll see how bad they can be.

What are the rules for advancement in deadEarth?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #193

SwashbucklerGuy

If you so desire the full stats of Grootbeard, they are as follows:
    Moves: 12
    Resiliency: 11
    Strength: 0
    Height/weight: 65"/195lbs
    Starting Cash: $900

(non-modified skills not listed, obviously)
    4d6 Brawling
    5d6 Drive Boat, Natural Ability
    4d6 Guile
    3d6 Intuition
    2d6 Metallurgy, Natural Ability
    0d6 Robotics, Natural Ability
    3d6 Search
    4d6 Senses
    0d6 Spot Trap, Natural Disability
    3d6 Stealth
    5d6 Swimming
    7d6 WS Blade, Natural Ability
    5d6 WS Paired Blades, Natural Ability
    5d6 WS Handguns

I fully release him to be used as a character in whatever nonsense you guys come up with.
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-04-23 at 02:22 PM.
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malkarnivore View Post
    I'll see you and raise you one "pretty kitty" lunar social build in exalted.
    Wait, what? No way, man, I invented the Pretty Kitty Revolution. It was a little bit silly, but it was freaking awesome, and incredibly powerful.

15. - Top - End - #195

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    What are the rules for advancement in deadEarth?
    Pretty awful, amazingly enough.

You gain 1xp ANY time that you roll a dice for a skill test, whether you succeed or fail. Using your abilities (such as the "you just die" one above) costs xp, anything from 1 to 50 for the really good ones. Increasing a skill by one die (from 2d6 to 3d6, say) increases exponentially: from 0d6 to 1d6 is 10, 1d6 to 2d6 is 20, then 40, then 80, and so on. There is no way to increase your Basic Stats (Moves, Resilience, Strength) except by increasing your skills, some of which - like Boxing or Running - having additional benefits at higher level.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #196

I am so down with Operation Implicit DeadEarth. I didn't even know about this system before this week!
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    And we have a new winner!

17. - Top - End - #197

SwashbucklerGuy

...I don't suppose anyone HAS the book in print, do they? The PDF version has several omitted details. I've found most of them online, but the Shock protection for armor in Table E3 is gone and I cannot find it at all.

I really shouldn't be considering this horrible game, but I am. Help me.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post

This is great.

His mutations:

My favorite...

Besides the photosynthesis and reproduction via spores those are some seriously weaksauce plant/fungus traits (). How about:

1. Your spores cause a deadly lung disease (cryptococcus gattii).
    2. Regeneration (a lot of plants and fungi put Wolverine to shame).
    3. Produce natural painkillers.

And last but not least...

4. You are FULL OF ANTS (bullhorn acacia).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair these ones are stripped straight from World of Warcraft RP servers:
    Female Worgen Death Knights.There isn't much more horror than a werewolf undead evil knight. Well, if you think about it involving a romance with an worgen druid and thusly leading to pregnancy (don't ask me how).

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

'Full of ants' sounds like an awesome super power, but only if they didn't bite you.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post

This is great.

Besides the photosynthesis and reproduction via spores those are some seriously weaksauce plant/fungus traits (). How about:

sounds like a monster than a character now, gosh dang screw off tree folk

22. - Top - End - #202
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    'Full of ants' sounds like an awesome super power, but only if they didn't bite you.
    And now I am reminded that I probably will never get to play a Hivemaster.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Loot, TN intelligent cursed -2 sword.
    Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 30, Ego 14
    Special powers:
    Locate Object (self only) 3/day
    Zone of Truth 3/day
    Cure Moderate Wounds 3/day
    Detect opposing alignment

Introduce yourself to the other PCs with 'I am Loot'.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

.....you can play as a sword in DnD?

huh, thats actually quite interesting, how? I might have a potential character concept....not a cursed one but something far more awesome.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

.....you can play as a sword in DnD?

huh, thats actually quite interesting, how? I might have a potential character concept....not a cursed one but something far more awesome.
    You can play an intelligent item, it doesn't even have to be a weapon (cue "I'm playing second codpiece"). However, you can't really gain levels as an item - other people have to upgrade you.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Update: I have been informed that radiation-eating fungi are a thing. Take that ability and win at deadEarth forever.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Update: I have been informed that radiation-eating fungi are a thing. Take that ability and win at deadEarth forever.
    But does that cancel your existing radiations?

I'm surprised that the life insurance salesman hasn't turned up yet, the only character that makes the party lose GP per combat.

Show

28. - Top - End - #208

But does that cancel your existing radiations?

I'm surprised that the life insurance salesman hasn't turned up yet, the only character that makes the party lose GP per combat.
    And his nemesis... the National Elf Service!

29. - Top - End - #209

At one point, back in 1999, my best friend and I were looking for a RPG to play together.

We came upon Dead Earth, thought it looked interesting.

Then we rolled up our first character. Body 0. Brains 10 (must have had a slightly different stat system back then).

Body 0, Brains 10. Our first character was a brain in a jar.

We never spoke of trying to play it again.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kami2awa View Post
    And his nemesis... the National Elf Service!
    Ah, the National 'Elf, made up of 20000 pointy eared clerics of medicine. So much more efficient than old-fashioned 'elf insurance.

Is it bad that I know want to play a dungeon 'Elf and Safety inspector, who goes over dungeons to make sure they aren't too dangerous for adventurers.

Show