Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Mafia III - The Maltese Falcon [It's Over!]

The Maltese Falcon (a.k.a. Mafia III)

Game Began: April 9th

This game is mostly born out of Joosbawx' love of Film Noir, hard-boiled detective stories, and the genre films and novels like The Maltese Falcon exemplify. The rules are close to Classic Werewolf, but I've decided to put in a bit of a twist, so please familiarize yourself with the following and come back as often as you need for reference sake.The object of the game, beyond simple survival, is to obtain the Maltese Falcon for yourself or benefit of your faction. Therefore, there are multiple ways to win the game, depending upon which faction the player belongs.

Gameplay Notes
    ------------------
    Since the individual object of the game is to obtain the Maltese Falcon, this means that one Citizen cannot implicitly trust another Citizen as s/he may have an ulterior motive in targeting another individual with a lynching vote. At the beginning of the game the Maltese Falcon is randomly given to one player. If and when that player is killed, the Maltese Falcon moves to the individual or group responsible for that players death.
    • Example 1: 'Player A', a Citizen, has the Maltese Falcon. S/he is killed by the Shadow Agents or Templar Knights during the night. The Maltese Falcon is then randomly assigned to one of the members of the faction responsible for that death. There will usually be some evidence left behind that would indicate that the deceased was in possession of the Maltese Falcon at time of their demise.
    • Example 2: 'Player A', belonging to any faction, has the Maltese Falcon. S/he is voted against and lynched by 'popular vote'. At time of death, the Maltese Falcon will be obtained by the player that started the bandwagon against 'Player A'.
    Day game play consists of finding out who was killed, the District Attorney protecting someone from lynching, and finger pointing by the general population for a 'lynching'.

Night game play consists of the District Attorney protecting someone from death, kills by both the Templar Knights and the Shadow Agents, scries or recruitment attempts by the Templar Knights and the Shadow Agents, the scry or kill by The Shadow, the Mole using their ability to hide the true role of one player, the Private "Eye" and the Patsy.

Anytime the person holding the Maltese Falcon is killed the Maltese Falcon is transferred to the person or group responsible for their death. Killing the player holding the Maltese Falcon is the only way to transfer ownership.

Recruitment - When one of the two factions with recruiting ability attempts to recruit a player, that player is sent a PM from the narrator and given the choice to join or refuse the organizations offer. If the player accepts the offer they join the Knights Templar or Shadow Agents as a 'Neonate/Recruit' for the remainder of the game. A player may only be recruited once per game. If a player refuses a recruitment offer by either faction they can still accept an offer made at a later date; however, the faction attempting the recruitment loses the ability to scry that night in lieu of their recruitment attempt, just as if they had recruited successfully.
    • Characters Exempt from Recruitment: The Shadow, any member of Templar Knights, any member of Shadow Agents, the Private "Eye", and The Patsy. If one of these characters is approached for recruitment the faction making the attempt will simply be informed the player refused, and the player will be informed they were approached with a recruitment offer.

Knights Templar

Spoiler
    Show
    The "Cult" returns, this time wearing the vestments of the Knights Templar. The Holy Order of Knights...or Un-Holy, depending on whom you believe...are not extinct. Their goal is to increase their numbers, and, most importantly, recover the gift they intended for the King of Spain before it disappears again...The Maltese Falcon. They are led and recruited bythe Templar Marshall who is identified (at death) by the signet ring s/he wears. Templar Knights carry nothing to betray their faction when killed. Templar Neonates, or those recruited during the course of the game by Templars, are not as indoctrinated as the older members and may reveal the name of one other Templar when threatened with death...so be careful whom you recruit. The Knights are aided in their quest by the Templar Oracle who has the ability (75% chance) to divine the role of anyone else; however, due to the extensive indoctrination rituals, the Oracle cannot scry on any night the Knights indoctrinate a Neonate.The tenets of the Order of the Knights Templar strictly prohibit anyone from intentionally revealing their membership upon penalty of death.
    • Winning the game: The Knight Templar win if they successfully eliminate the entire Shadow Agency and obtain the Maltese Falcon, or if their numbers equal the number of non-Templar Knights players.
    • Templar Marshall - "Master/Alpha Mason". Gives Templars ability to recruit Neonates. Scries as: Templar - Evil.
    • Templar Oracle - "Mason Seer". Able to scry and discern role of anyone each night, except on night when Templar Knights recruit Neonate. Can see if target currently holds Maltese Falcon. Scries as: Oracle - Evil.
    • Templar Knight - "Mason". Scries as: Templar - Evil.
    • Templar Neonate - "Mason Recruit". May reveal name of one other Templar if put to death. Scries as: Templar - Evil.

Shadow Agents
    Spoiler
    Show
    This extensive network of Agents hold allegiance to no one but themselves and their leader, known only as The Fat Man. Each member of the Shadow Agents is hand-picked by The Fat Man, who has the ability to bring in Shadow Recruits; however, like the Templar Neonates, they are not as seasoned as their Agent counterparts and may fold under pressure if threatened with death. The Brain works hand-in-hand with The Fat Man and has the ability (75% chance) to perceive the role of anyone else; however, due to the extensive background checks that must be performed on any Recruit, The Brain cannot scry on any night the Shadow Agents recruit. All Shadow Agents are under strict orders to eliminate any member that intentionally reveals their true allegiance to anyone outside the organization, upon penalty of death.
    • Winning the Game: The Shadow Agents win if they successfully eliminate the entire Order of the Knights Templar and obtain the Maltese Falcon, or if their numbers equal the number of non-Shadow Agent players.
    • The Fat Man - "Mafia Don/Alpha". Gives Shadow Agents ability to obtain new Recruits. Scries as: Agent - Evil.
    • The Brain - "Mafia Seer". Able to scry and discern role of anyone each night, except on night when Agents recruit. Can see if target currently holds the Maltese Falcon. Scries as: The Brain - Evil.
    • Shadow Agent - "Mafia". Scries as: Agent - Evil.
    • Shadow Recruit - "Mafia Recruit". May reveal name of one other Agent if put to death. Scries as: Agent - Evil.

The Citizens
    Spoiler
    Show
    These are the everyday members of society. They usually play by the rules and follow the law; however, that isn't to say that when an opportunity comes along to get a leg up they wouldn't take advantage. The goal of the Citizenry is to get rid of the Shadow Agents and Knights Templar...if, you know, you actually believe in that sort of myth and legend. The Citizens are the pool of potential members the Shadow Agents and Knights Templar may recruit...unless, of course, the Templars or Agents accidentally try to recruit each other. The citizens are really in the game for themselves to survive, and score the Maltese Falcon for themselves if possible, or align themselves with an underground faction if they are approached and choose to join.
    • Winning the Game: The Citizens win if they successfully eliminate both the Knights Templar and the Shadow Agency. Additionally, a citizen can score a personal win (and a cool signature award!!!) if survive holding the Maltese Falcon at the end of the game.
    • The Private "Eye" - "Seer". Has completely accurate ability to discern the role of anyone in the game. Scries as: Private "Eye" - Good. Cannot be recruited.
    • The Patsy - "Fool". Has 25% chance of accurately discerning the role of anyone in the game. Scries as: Private "Eye" - Good. Cannot be recruited.
    • District Attorney - "Baner". Has ability to us her/his influence to protect any player each day and night from lynching or attack. This role has to send in a PM for Joosbawx for each game day and game night. This role can be recruited by the Templars or Agents. Scries as: District Attorney - Good/Evil (if recruited successfully).
    • The Mole - "Illusionist/Witch". Has the ability to alter the perceived role of any player when investigated by the Oracle, The Brian, The Patsy, or the Private "Eye". If target is scried, the role defined by The Mole will be the role perceived. Scries as: The Mole - Good/Evil (if recruited successfully).
    • Citizen - "Villager". Scries as: Citizen - Good.
    • Sam Spade & Effie - "The Lovers". The Lovers play together and win if they survive the game. If either lover is lynched or attacked, the other Lover is killed also, regardless of faction membership. Lovers are recruited independently, but still remain Lovers. Scries as: Lover - Good.

The Shadow
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows. This role is special, and stands for Truth, Justice, and the Citizen Way. In this character's eyes anyone can be corrupted...except The Shadow. Therefore, nobody is to be trusted...except The Shadow. Nobody can bring the wrongdoers to justice...except The Shadow. This character acts outside the law in order to destroy all Evil. As a result, he is wanted by both sides of the law and cannot reveal his identity under pain of death to anyone. This character cannot be recruited. The Shadow has three special abilities, and may choose to use either one on any night s/he chooses.

Six times during the game The Shadow may use her/his super-sleuth ability with 100% accuracy to determine any player's alignment...Good or Evil. Secondly, The Shadow has six bullets with which to dispense Justice to those s/he deems as Evil. Thirdly, The Shadow has the ability to protect someone from from attack during the night...much the same as the District Attorney. The Shadow may choose to investigate, kill, protect, or do nothing, and must send PM to Joosbawx each game night.

Alternatively, The Fan Boy believe s/he is The Shadow and has all the same abilities, but simply isn't and doesn't. The Fan Boy acts as though s/he is The Shadow, but, due to the lack of super-sleuth ability and training of any (real) kind, The Fan Boy has only a nominal chance of doing any real good at all...except for helping to hide the real Shadow, perhaps. Due to the obsessive nature of this character, s/he, when scried, shows as The Shadow, also.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Winning the Game: The Shadow wins if s/he survives the game and both the Templar Knights and Shadow Agency are eliminated.
    • The Shadow - "?????". Scries as: The Shadow.
    • FanBoy - "anti-?????". Scries as: The Shadow.

Current List of Players (11)
    - Updated: Thursday, April 26th -
    Spoiler
    Show

Castaras
    Cult_of_the_Raven
    Goblin Music
    Hyramgraff
    Janusnori

Kyrian
    Lord Magtok
    Meynolds
    pingcode20
    Selrahc

Strategos

The Deceased (26)
    - Updated: thursday, April 26th -

Day/Night One
    Spoiler
    Show

Joosbawx - The Narrator
    - Killed Night Zero

Inky13112 - Citizen
    - lynched Day One

Atreyu, the Masked LLama - Citizen
    - killed Night One

Xylric - Citizen
    - killed Night One

Day/Night Two
    Spoiler
    Show

Ink - Citizen (Lover)
    - lynched Day Two

Bus Bomb Casualties
    Spoiler
    Show
    Malmagor Andrigal - Citizen (Lover)
    * AKA_Bait
    * Ellimist
    * Krursk
    * Miatog
    * TimeOut
    * Vespe Ratavo

Evnafets - Citizen
    - killed Night Two

DarkLightDragon - The Shadow
    - killed Night Two

Day/Night Three
    Spoiler
    Show

Raldor - Templar Knight
    - lynched Day Three

Alarra - The Fat Man
    - killed Night Three

Akaziel - Citizen
    - killed Night Three

The 8th Sin
    Spoiler
    Show
    - killed Night Three

Psychoduck14 - Shadow Agent
    -
    killed Night Three

Day/Night Four
    Spoiler
    Show

Raistlin1040 - Citizen
    - accidental death Night Three

Captain van der Decken - Templar Oracle
    - lynched Day Four

Eldritch Knight - Templar Neonate
    - killed for revealing membership

Nobody
    - killed Night Four

Day/Night Five
    Spoiler
    Show

Helgraf - Shadow Recruit
    - lynched Day Five

Zar Peter - Shadow Agent
    - killed for revealig membership

S.Hadow - Shadow Recruit
    - killed Night Five

Day/Night Six
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Barbarian - The Templar Marshall
    - lynched Day Six

Last edited by Joosbawx; 2007-04-30 at 10:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Mafia III - The Maltese Falcon (begin April 9)

Heh one of the cult groups could take control of the other cult group by recruiting their leader. That would be interesting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Grandma in the Playground Moderator

*prays to be a cult group leader for purely this scenario*

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I rock!
    I rock hard!

I'm invincible!
    Shadow
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Shadow knows and stands for Truth, Justice, and the Citizen Way. Anyone can be corrupted...except Shadow. Therefore, nobody is to be trusted...except Shadow. Nobody can bring the wrongdoers to justice...except Shadow. He acts outside the law in order to destroy all Evil. As a result, he is wanted by both sides of the law and cannot reveal his identity under pain of death to anyone. He cannot be recruited. Shadow has two special abilities, and may choose to use either one on any night he chooses.
    Spoiler
    Show

LLama says: Of course, the game would also have been more balanced if you all would learn not to trust Shadow
    no matter what game he's in or role he has.
    Duos says: I've read the archives... and Shadow frankly scares the bejeesus outta me. It's like playing with a
    hypothetical cross of Lex Luthor and professor Moriarty.
    If he was made of SPIDERS.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

So does anybody kill at night other than the optional Shadow kill?

How does the Maltese Falcon move about?

What is airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Do you sell cheese?
    Lemon curry?

*slaps Raldor with trout*
    Last edited by Goblin Music; 2007-04-05 at 10:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the Shadow based on the comic of the same name?

8. - Top - End - #8

Rule above have been updated to answer questions posted here. Player list updated as well. Currently there are 35 players signed up, and the more the merrier, especially in a game with a lot of role such as this one.

If there are still questions, let me know and I'll answer them. Sorry about the confusion and what I'd inadvertently omitted.

Selrahc...kind of, yes. The name is pulled from that Character, however the abilities don't necessarily fit with that character perfectly. The radio show was set in the correct era, and so I grabbed the name for the sake of the Noir setting.

Lastly, updated The Shadow a little bit.
    Last edited by Joosbawx; 2007-04-06 at 08:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

How much research on The Maltese Falcon should I do?
    I do not think, therefore I am a mostache.

This is a real fortune cookie fortune: "Someone is reading your mind." Creepy huh?

Avatar by Sampi, proving that sins can be beautiful.

10. - Top - End - #10

None, though I recommend the book, and only to a slightly lesser degree, the film (1941, starring Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre among others).

There will be clues and hints given throughout the flavor text of the game; however, nothing that would require that you'd have read the book or seen the film. There is a plot synopsis available online in several places. You may want to take about 2 minutes to read that.

11. - Top - End - #11

Aww sad, I was so looking forward to getting to recruit members from the other group.

But yay! Now there's a reward for starting a bandwagon! I knew people's tendency to follow me when I point would end up being useful sooner or later =P

Spoiler
    Show

Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

12. - Top - End - #12

MMMMMMM I love it

new win method, new role, what an interesting game. I'm wagging on the inside at playing this one. Should I hold a "choose the llamatar" contest?"
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

RAWWWRRRRR

13. - Top - End - #13

Yes, yes...have a llamatar poll by all means!

However, and I wanted to mention this again and now seems appropriat since it just came to mind and is kind of fitting and I should really take a breath here before I turn blue and

*thunk*

FISH! Huh? Wha...oh, Wuce, I through you were a marlin! What was I...oh yes...remember that the theme is steeped in Noir and I will be postin gas such again. Pay attention to the flavor text as it might not just be flavor text. Also, those choosing to participate in the Noir style, like last game which I really really enjoyed reading, may find themselves on the end of a pinch of extra information from time to time.

For the rest of you, if you're going out be sure to wear a sweater because there's bacon outside.

14. - Top - End - #14

I hope everyone joins in the Noir fun this time around.
    The last one was my absolute favorite thread to read on tese boards at the time.

Now, who to play?......
    Spoiler
    Show

LLama says: Of course, the game would also have been more balanced if you all would learn not to trust Shadow
    no matter what game he's in or role he has.
    Duos says: I've read the archives... and Shadow frankly scares the bejeesus outta me. It's like playing with a
    hypothetical cross of Lex Luthor and professor Moriarty.
    If he was made of SPIDERS.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm going to have to do a bit of reading to get the style right but I do believe that Tracer Bullet will be making an appearance.

16. - Top - End - #16

anyone who posts is allowed to vote for a particular llamatar. I have included 2 with the mask so Shadow will have a choice.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

RAWWWRRRRR

17. - Top - End - #17

I loved reading this thread too. I was really glad so many people got into the noir style. I admittedly didn't do it well, but I tried...=P And erm....I'd kinda like to have an actual character of sorts to try to play....Anyone got any suggestions?

and #2
    Last edited by Alarra; 2007-04-06 at 01:14 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

#2 for me, too.

And Tracer Bullet!!! Man, I miss Calvin & Hobbes. Nice reference. Gave me a nice bright spot in the day. =)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Numba #1 !
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"After the first day we universally agreed that she was banned from fire thereafter. The second day she ended up with the power to create 5 extra copies of herself."
    ~ Heliomance

"You're like Pinkie Pie powered by a nuclear reactor."
    ~ Lix Lorn

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

#3 #3 cmon 3!

21. - Top - End - #21

Unless Joos is planning on using it in the future, we could have **** Tracy. Alarra could be "Breathless Mahoney." I'd love to be Mumbles.
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

RAWWWRRRRR

22. - Top - End - #22

I'd thought about **** Tracy, but thought again because you can't say **** Tracy on the forums, and Richard Tracy doesn't have quite the same ring.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I keep my office dark. It wasn't my first choice but the chronies from the electric company convinced me to warm up to it. The life of a PI has only two bright spots, a payday and the flash of sunlight against steel. Right now I was experiencing the second.

The thug who's hand the steel was in led me down an alley and we stopped behind a fassion store. I asked him what his business was and he told me that he needed my help choosing an outfit for the lama. The questions flying around my head regarding why someone would dress a lama left as soon as the sound of the hammer being cocked entered.

I was in a tight spot and needed to act fast. I thought of my friends and I quickly had the answer. "Outfit number two," I said. The thug replied, "'Aight," as he clubed me over the head knocking me out.

When I came to I was in my office wishing they had knocked on my door instead of knocking on me. It was evening now and I reached for the friend in pocket with thoughts of getting myself as loaded as my friend sitting on my hip. But before I took a swig, I thanked them both for saving my life yet again.

((I could use some help getting the text color right. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.))
    Last edited by HyramGraff; 2007-04-06 at 01:52 PM. Reason: perfecting the wording

24. - Top - End - #24

ill vote for number 2

Everlight Dungeon Crawl: Eberk Battleheart
    D'Emrenius Keep: Aramil

25. - Top - End - #25

I liked number one. Has a nice mobster feel to it

P.S. Oh my god I actually got to use that smily for once! Poor guy gets no love

26. - Top - End - #26

I'll vote for #2, Sham...
    Navi Plaguelord courtesy of "Make yourself a Navi" website plus some ingenuity on my part...
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joosbawx View Post
    I'd thought about **** Tracy, but thought again because you can't say **** Tracy on the forums, and Richard Tracy doesn't have quite the same ring.
    Try D[color="Black"]i[/color]ck Tracy. It should come out as Dick Tracy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

28. - Top - End - #28

Test One: colour change that changes no colour.
    Hrm Dick Tracy

Test Two: Noparse
    **** Tracy

Welll ... noparse does not defeat the censor, but nocolour colour apparently does. Since you break up the word and all.

Hmmm.

Test Three: Meaningless italics insert
    **** Tracy

Hmmm, apparently a switch isn't enough.

Wonder why it can sense through italics switches but not a color code switch...
    Last edited by Helgraf; 2007-04-07 at 01:44 AM.
    Navi Plaguelord courtesy of "Make yourself a Navi" website plus some ingenuity on my part...
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

I think it works if you add something to the end of the word, like this..
    ****' tracy.
    edit: guess not.
    Last edited by Cult_of_the_Raven; 2007-04-07 at 11:20 AM.

Dwagons!

V is SO AWESOME.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Joosbawx View Post
    Erm...wow. Okay, so because of the above, which I only heard about just now from this thread, it seems I need a co-narrator for WW III. I could do it by myself, and honestly would prefer to do it that way if truth be told.

Does anyone have objections to no co-narrator for Mafia III? Or would you all prefer that I have a co-narrator? Please let me know.
    Thoughts? Comments? I'd prefer not to lose a player to become a co-narrator. I believe I can handle it, but I'll leave it up to those playing to decide.
    Last edited by Joosbawx; 2007-04-07 at 01:33 PM.