New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1157
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central X: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

It's unfortunate when a beloved forum loses members or loses their player base for a game you like to play.

Werewolf isn't dying, it's still quite popular and it is being played on hundreds of sites all over the internet. The trouble is you all don't know each other, and all prefer to play with your friends that you already know, on the website you're already familiar with.

And no harm in that, until the day comes when you can't fill a game. Then you're left with options: You can actively and aggressively recruit folks from elsewhere on your own site, with the permhission of the moderators of those sections. Or you can stop playing. Or you can try to get off-site people to play, or you can be willing to go elsewhere to play, or some combination of the not-giving-up options.

Your own Cuthalion and Logic and several others have crossed onto other websites and places, and have had good experiences there. The real key is to find another similar group with a culture that best fits your own, folks you can quickly enjoy playing with and become friends with, part of the same player pool. That will keep werewolf alive for you.

So, it's up to you. If you'd be interested in playing with other folks elsewhere, connect with your own fellow players who have been elsewhere, and see where they had the most fun. If you'd like folks to come play here, well... sometimes they might be really talkative and crazy like me, with different standards of investment in a game, different setup preferences. But they still might be good for a few games, or so.
    Fleeing Coward: "We're both agreed that Banjo and I should be the next 2 to die, why are you so desperate to lynch me over Banjo today?"
    Pizzaguy: "Because there is a void, an emptiness in my soul, from having killed poor Eldritch Knight. And I can fill that void with your corpse, and put my danged pizza back on my avatar."

Pizzaguy: "I'm gonna try and bane the folks you try to murder. It will be a fun game of cat and mouse."

Pizzaguy: "Mason, Baner, Seer, is not a coincidence."

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central X: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

To address the concern about scheduled games not starting - while it's not ideal, obviously, if Fin hasn't gotten a thread up in the next couple of days (or at least checked in to say it's waiting on approval or something) I can put one up. It won't be as... Complicated... as certain of my ideas, probably, because the super-complex rulesets need a bunch of players and are only half done, but I'm confident I can get a viable game together.

I'll also try to bring in more players (or at least get back some old ones). I can't make any guarantees about my success, obviously, but I do have a few people I can tap. Particularly if I do end up running something and so can use that as leverage to get them here in the first place.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry for not following through with Time Paradox II - been crazy busy the past month and the original plan needed probably at least 15 for the mechanics to work and I haven't had time to try and tweak it for the lower numbers I'd expect given what we've had here recently.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Well. Nobody has said not to, so I suppose I'll see about getting a recruitment thread up in the next few days? I was kind of hoping people would actually mention how they felt about the idea before I did that, since it's sort of an unusual move to make, especially with one game still recruiting even though we're in this timeslot.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Colossus in the Playground

I've submitted my recruitment thread for Betrayal at House on the Hill, and PM'd mods.

6. - Top - End - #1026

Three days and no word. This is distressing.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Which mod(s) did you PM? Chambers is the one who, as far as I'm aware, is the most active currently.

8. - Top - End - #1028

All the ones listed (except Zeb; his inbox was full). Chambers first, the others when he didn't respond quickly.

9. - Top - End - #1029

My game's been approved, and is now recruiting.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

This may seem like a weird question, but do I need to own a physical set of rules to play the game on this forum? I have played werewolf what must have been four times now and read through the entire series of original posts in this thread so I am not oblivious to the rules, but I still do not have any box set with me at this time. The rules off WW were always vague and I see them change massively from game to game, so I am wondering if I even need the box set with me. Would it be disallowed for me to play without buying a physical rule case or could I realistically just use what I already know and run a game perfectly fine? If I am given the okay than I am definitely going to look into narrating a game.

And also side question; are there are any specific rules on deciding who will be the first werewolf? Whenever I played we rolled a die or series of dice to determine who was the werewolf, but I have heard that there are a variety of ways to do this. As a narrator could I choose how the werewolf will be determined or should I use a specific method to do that?
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

11. - Top - End - #1031
    TheDarkFoo
    Guest in the Playground

1. You don't need to own physical rules, no. Typically the rules are stated in the first post of the game's thread. If you want to run your own game, you can just find a rule set online or make up your own.

2. Rolling a die or using an online die roller is perfectly fine, to the best of my knowledge.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkFoo View Post
    1. You don't need to own physical rules, no. Typically the rules are stated in the first post of the game's thread. If you want to run your own game, you can just find a rule set online or make up your own.

2. Rolling a die or using an online die roller is perfectly fine, to the best of my knowledge.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was probably just going to make up my own rules based on a simplified version of what I have already seen in play, filled with a couple of twists that I have in mind. Expect to see the thread detailing my game later tonight or tomorrow. I already have an idea of what I could do...
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

A couple of things to note.

The first is that you need a mod to actually approve a thread in this section of the forum.
    The second is that we do a sign up list for running games (as seen in the first post of this thread). (Edit: That said, I'm not the person in charge of keeping us in line with the list and if they/people in general don't mind you cutting in line or whatnot that's fine. Just ask first.)
    The third is that the rules for irl werewolf and the rules we use here tend to be rather different, even for the most regular type games due to the way we're playing.
    As a narrator you're allowed to choose whatever method teams/roles are chosen for people. Though if you hand pick people for certain roles you probably shouldn't tell anyone that as then people can metagame and try to figure out who is what role based on what you would pick, rather than in game behavior/knowledge.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-12-21 at 11:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    A couple of things to note.

The first is that you need a mod to actually approve a thread in this section of the forum.
    The second is that we do a sign up list for running games (as seen in the first post of this thread). (Edit: That said, I'm not the person in charge of keeping us in line with the list and if they/people in general don't mind you cutting in line or whatnot that's fine. Just ask first.)
    The third is that the rules for irl werewolf and the rules we use here tend to be rather different, even for the most regular type games due to the way we're playing.
    As a narrator you're allowed to choose whatever method teams/roles are chosen for people. Though if you hand pick people for certain roles you probably shouldn't tell anyone that as then people can metagame and try to figure out who is what role based on what you would pick, rather than in game behavior/knowledge.
    1) I was indeed aware of the fact that I need mod approval
    2) umm, I would ask about the running list, but here is the thing; it has not been updated in 2 months. LexCat has also not been on this forum in two months either. I sent them a PM anyway, but I get the distinct feeling that I am not going to get a response. That list is highly outdated and and innacurate, and the odds of it getting updated seem low. I am not sure it is applicable now.
    3) I already realized that while looking through the archive. I am going to use a rather simple rule set though, so it should be fine on that case.
    4) I am going to randomly decide roles using a die, unless someone specifically asks to be a certain role, but even then I am going to roll if there is competition for those spots.
    -

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. I hadn't realized Lex had vanished. And I guess if Indarra was still planning on running their scheduled game they would have put it up by now. So yeah go ahead I guess.

In other news... guys... do we have anyone who wants to manage these threads? I really really don't.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-12-22 at 12:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Halfling in the Playground

Thanks to college I don’t have time.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Under normal conditions I would volunteer to manage this thread, but seeing as how I discovered this sub-forum last night I am not the best candidate for it. Many once I start gaining my bearings I could look into it, but for now I am a little too ignorant to do such a thing.
    -

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Everyone, I have encountered a major problem that will make it difficult for my game to ever be accepted; almost all of the mods for the structured games sub-forum have vanished. Everyone accept for Haruki-Kun has not been on the forum for over a year, and even then he has not checked it since 5 days ago. What do you all recommend I should do? Are the higher up mods aware of this? if not we should probably find some way to inform them.

Wait, nevermind, Chambers is still here. I got Chambers mixed up with another guy by the name of Chambers1 who has not been on the site in 4 years. Sorry, the usernames always get me mixed up.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2017-12-23 at 12:54 PM.
    -

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

It still would be nice to have more than one. In case Chambers ever is sick or on vacation or something.
    Though our more pressing issue right now is needing players to run games for.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It still would be nice to have more than one. In case Chambers ever is sick or on vacation or something.
    Though our more pressing issue right now is needing players to run games for.
    How exactly does one get more mods though? I am not entirely sure the ascension into mod-dom is a very simple process and I highly doubt anyone is up to par in that category here. We really cannot do anything about that I suppose.

So you are experiencing a lack of players, eh? What have you tried doing so far? We could all put a link in our signatures to this sub forum or thread, it may do something. We could also try convincing IRL friends to get on the forum. Or we could advertise it on different forums similar to this one and see if we can get anyone over here. What have you done so far to get more players to join?
    -

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Halfling in the Playground

I’m in a position to be a player again.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I put the game up for mod approval yesterday, so expect to see something soon. I sent a PM to both Haruki-Kun and Chambers also. Any day now it might be accepted, or you know, any week now seeing as how it is the holiday season. I formed a lovecraftian homewbrew variant of WW that I cleverly named “Shadows Over Innsmouth”. Instead of werewolves I will be using deep ones. It is goin to be a fairly basic game, but I have toured with adding in some interesting mechanics. I was going to make it so that if you accidently lynch an innocent target who is not a deep one, than one randomly chosen target who voted for that person shall turn into a deep one. I have also toyed with the idea of creating a sort of reverse baner; you choose one target per night and if a deep one attacks that target you have a chance (probably 50%) to kill the attacking deep one. I was probably going to call it something like the slayer or the hunter, but to my knowledge one of those actually might have a copyright (don’t know where from though). What do you all think of those concepts?
    -

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Well lynching non-wolves is the norm rather than an exception, so if every time town fails to lynch a deep one one of them turns into a deep one the game will inevitably be won by the deep ones. Especially because that gives the deep ones more and more control over the lynch.

Edit: You don't need to worry about copyrights here given we're not selling anything.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-12-24 at 05:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well lynching non-wolves is the norm rather than an exception, so if every time town fails to lynch a deep one one of them turns into a deep one the game will inevitably be won by the deep ones. Especially because that gives the deep ones more and more control over the lynch.

Edit: You don't need to worry about copyrights here given we're not selling anything.
    Perhaps I forgot to mention this, but if I include that concept than I am going to make it so that when a wereolf kills a villager that the victim will not turn into a werewolf too. In short, It is a variant rule, not an additional rule. It does give the deep ones (werewolves) more control over the vote for sure, but it also prevents them from exponentially increasing, and then they can only increase at a linear rate of one per turn. Not to mention the fact that the hunter/slayer is going to be giving them a hard time too. If anything, it favors the villagers over the werewolves. I will do some play-testing, but there are no glaring problems I have noticed.
    -

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Do werewolves normally turn villagers they attack in the variant you're used to? They don't here usually. Typically the player is just dead.
    But yeah, do some playtesting.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Do werewolves normally turn villagers they attack in the variant you're used to? They don't here usually. Typically the player is just dead.
    But yeah, do some playtesting.
    Umm, yes, villagers usually do turn into werewolves once they are attacked by another werewolf, at least in my experience. I have played ultimate werewolf once , one night ultimate werewolf twice, and deluxe addition once, and that was the rule in all of them. How do people normally turn into werewolves in this forum? And I am definitely going to do some theoretical playtesting. I don’t really have a group to be guinea pug with this unfortunately, but I am rather good with calculating percentages and rolling dice. I shall make sure to provide the document as soon as I have finished playtesting.
    -

27. - Top - End - #1047

The default rules most games here use are that werewolves kill people they attack, and no one changes teams once the game has begun; if there are five werewolves at the start the town wins if those five werewolves die. If your game has infectious werewolves, you should give the town side some comparably powerful ability to compensate.

- - - Updated - - -

I PM'd Roland Sr. Jude (an admin) about the critical moderator shortage here, a few days ago. Whether something will be done about it...only he knows. I'm afraid I wouldn't be optimistic about Chambers approving your thread soon.
    Last edited by Kish; 2017-12-24 at 09:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The default rules most games here use are that werewolves kill people they attack, and no one changes teams once the game has begun; if there are five werewolves at the start the town wins if those five werewolves die. If your game has infectious werewolves, you should give the town side some comparably powerful ability to compensate.

- - - Updated - - -

I PM'd Roland Sr. Jude (an admin) about the critical moderator shortage here, a few days ago. Whether something will be done about it...only he knows. I'm afraid I wouldn't be optimistic about Chambers approving your thread soon.
    Well, I do not really have anyone left to hope on if I cannot hope for Chambers to accept it. He is realistically the only person I can rely on, so I would rather be optimistic for Chamber’s possible intervention than give up hope altogether.
    -

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Have you posted a thread in the board/site issues forum? They are usually pretty quick to at least answer questions when you post a thread in there, even if they do not actually do anything about it. Now, normally I would go ahead and do that, but I sadly have no good evidence to prove that the moderators are understaffed for this sub-forum. Why don’t you go ahead and post a thread there and bring more attention to the matter? I could do it if that is too much trouble, but if they ask for me proof than I am worried that I will have nothing to show.
    -

30. - Top - End - #1050

I haven't. You have more evidence than I do; you can post "I submitted a thread X days ago, I PM'd all the moderators listed for the forum, no one's responded yet"--and they can check and see that your post is there and has gone unapproved for that long. I'll back you up if need be, but really, the situation should speak for itself.

(My recent game threads never did get approved by a moderator listed here; I wound up PMing a moderator who isn't listed on this board but who I knew was active on the overall forum.)