New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default The Legend of Zelda Netflix

there is a rumor going around that Nintendo and Netflix are in the discussion phase of a Legend of Zelda Live action series.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/...etflix-series/

we are well before any details, but I would love to see it. I wonder what others would think.

Do you want to see an original story, or one of the games played out in the series.

I don't want to see "your princess is in another castile"(and yes I know that's Mario), I would love to see a game of thrown style not yet war with ganadorf and his forces moving but not yet ready. Agahnim would be an 'advisor' soon to be traitor.

The Mastersword and the Bow and light arrows all need to be in there...I wouldn't mind an action girl Zelda, but I don't need it...
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda Netflix

I dont think it would work to basically do a tv version of one of the games, if only because this is very much a one man war. Oh sure he talks to various oracles and merchants and hermits living in caves and whatnot, but he is clearing the dungeons solo. On the other hand, I would do anything to avoid this happening again. /shudder. Maybe just adapt the story of one of the games so he has friends and allies to adventure with would be enough. Though we also have to avoid something like this /double shudder
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

That is the most unusual pitch I have seen for a TV show. That said, I could see it working decently: Link is going around causing trouble, Zelda is maneuvering in political circles, Ganon is trying to accrue power and consolidate control over the realms, there's political problems between different peoples in Hylia.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreD&Dgirl View Post
    there is a rumor going around that Nintendo and Netflix are in the discussion phase of a Legend of Zelda Live action series.

we are well before any details, but I would love to see it. I wonder what others would think.

Do you want to see an original story, or one of the games played out in the series.

I don't want to see "your princess is in another castile"(and yes I know that's Mario), I would love to see a game of thrown style not yet war with ganadorf and his forces moving but not yet ready. Agahnim would be an 'advisor' soon to be traitor.

The Mastersword and the Bow and light arrows all need to be in there...I wouldn't mind an action girl Zelda, but I don't need it...
    Man, now I wanna see Zelda flinging some magic around, stuff building, "I'm sorry princess, it's too dangerous," so Zelda decides that haters gonna hate, and she'll just "Sheik it off."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

yesyesyesyesyesyes

This could be great. This could be terrible. But you know what? Even if it's terrible, I'm going to love it. There is no way that I could not be excited about this thing!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreD&Dgirl View Post

I thought the cartoon was pretty good for its time, demographic, and the fact that it followed Super Mario Bros. Snarky, goof-off, horny teenage Link was an unexpected twist on the character. Link of the video games is definitely of the blank slate mute variety, so you can put just about any character you want on him.

If you've been playing Zelda games, I don't see how you can see action girl Zelda as "optional." She does have a character in every game that gives her more than a couple of lines ending in "Help me" or "you saved me," and that character is a bad-ass!

Whether Zelda is the mysterious Sheik, or the dread pirate Tetra, or even in full princess dress. Zelda is a magic-using, weapon-wielding, (tri)force of wis-bang-domme-ing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Why not make an anime? Far smaller and more recent game properties have anime, not to mention that their own Pokemon is the most successful adaptation from that medium -- so they aren't exactly neophytes in this regard.

It would seem to me to be much more reasonable than trying to make a narrative-light puzzle-solving action-adventure game with a rather generic setting and silent protagonist into a family-friendly live-action Game of Thrones-esque swords-and-sorcery fantasy show straight out.

Then again, a little early to say this is going to happen at all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Honest gut reaction? Sounds like a bad idea to me. The story has never really been the strong suite of the Zelda series, not even in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, where they were clearly putting more effort into it than usual. I have a hard time imagining why I would want to watch a show based on the games because of that, honestly - they're fun because of how they play, and the stories at best serve to provide an "epic adventure" feel to enhance that, but not really much more. Take away actually playing the game and most of the appeal goes with it, at least for me.

Beyond that, I don't like the idea of a live action show over an animated one. Even setting aside Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, I think the visual style of Zelda just does not look realistic enough that a live action portrayal of it would look right. Plus it'll be harder to do good action scenes that way.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Does Netflix have enough money to throw onto a fantasy sword-sorcery series so that it doesn't look like live-action crap? That's the only thing I care about.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Does Netflix have enough money to throw onto a fantasy sword-sorcery series so that it doesn't look like live-action crap? That's the only thing I care about.
    Probably not. Have you seen Krod Mandoon? That's about the production values you can expect.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Since I assume they'll be getting some money from Nintendo, I'm assuming the answer is "yes". I'm gonna speculate that Daredevil and the other Defenders serieses will show us what sort of thing Netflix can put out when teamed up with another company that has money to throw at it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateGirl

This sounds kind of absurd. I wouldn't even know what to do with the idea unless they just modeled it after the old cartoon show. If they did that it might work out okayish.

Although it would be funny to have a pretty boy main actor who never speaks at all, just grunting and yelling while a companion fairy or whatever just follows him around delivering all his dialog for him. As a supposedly serious live-action drama show.

This seems like the kind of thing that no matter what they do with the concept, people will be upset and declare it a betrayal.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Not if you adjust your expectations. Don't think of it as a television show, think of it as a really expensive Larping session.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Honest gut reaction? Sounds like a bad idea to me. The story has never really been the strong suite of the Zelda series, not even in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, where they were clearly putting more effort into it than usual. I have a hard time imagining why I would want to watch a show based on the games because of that, honestly - they're fun because of how they play, and the stories at best serve to provide an "epic adventure" feel to enhance that, but not really much more. Take away actually playing the game and most of the appeal goes with it, at least for me.

Beyond that, I don't like the idea of a live action show over an animated one. Even setting aside Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, I think the visual style of Zelda just does not look realistic enough that a live action portrayal of it would look right. Plus it'll be harder to do good action scenes that way.
    The creators have described it as Game of Thrones for a family audience. Yeah, that's just marketing, like how Game was sold as LOTR meets the Sopranos, but the statement taken literally is probably the greatest threat to this working. As you noted, most of what makes the series work doesn't actually translate into a non interactive medium, so they'll have to add something to suitably differentiate as passive fare. Otherwise we're just getting another low budget fantasy series with a very distinct visual style.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    This seems like the kind of thing that no matter what they do with the concept, people will be upset and declare it a betrayal.
    There's a kind for that? Doesn't that just happen with everything in the age of the Internet?
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2015-02-07 at 12:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    There's a kind for that? Doesn't that just happen with everything in the age of the Internet?
    It actually takes a specific kind of brew for this Kind to occur. Video games often have the best ingredients...

• Medium which superficially appears well-fitted for TV/movie translation.
    • Medium is actually ill-fitted for TV/movie translation.
    • Subject matter is dear to fandom.
    • Subject content is actually a highly subjective experience for each fan.

Cue cries of Betrayal.

15. - Top - End - #15

Zelda meets Game of Thrones huh?

Link: Gee, it sure is boring around here! I just wonder what Ganon's up to!

Zelda: You know NOTHING John Snow Link!

Link: Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUU--
    Spoiler
    Show

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME PRINCESS!

My gut feeling is that this is gonna suck, but there's a lot of comedy material to work with here
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Am I the only one who sees this and kind of wants a early 1900s-esque silent tv series?

I mean a show where Link speaks just doesn't seem like it would be Zelda to me.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

... don't think it's a good idea. Best possibility? They'll make a generic, good, fantasy show and slap Link and Zelda on it. But as a game turned into a story or an actual new Zelda story... no, please, do not do... (But then again, maybe I'm just overly pessimistic)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #18

My initial reaction is "hoax." I can't find anything from Netflix or Nintendo about this, and the original WSJ article outright states that neither party had any comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed. There's no reputable source for any of this that I can find.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    My initial reaction is "hoax." I can't find anything from Netflix or Nintendo about this, and the original WSJ article outright states that neither party had any comment.
    Absolutely my reaction, too. There's a reason Nintendo isn't big on live adaptations of their works. *coughSuperMarioBrosmoviecough*

To be perfectly honest, though, I actually thought that movie was the perfect example of "really fun to watch movie that's so bad its hilarious".

But ANYWAY.

Yeah, I wouldn't believe this unless there was official word from Nintendo. It's highly unlikely that they'd do something like this, period, and without official word assuming it's a hoax is the reasonable thing to do. For some reason people like making Zelda hoaxes. Anyone remember the great flood story Zelda game hoax?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I could see Legend of Zelda working in a "Pirates of Dark Water" kinda way. Go with Link to the Past style - the daughters of the Sages are being sealed into crystals, and Link, Zelda, Navi, and a few other characters (Linebeck maybe?) have to find where in Hyrule they've been sealed and unseal them. There are periodic clashes with Ganon as they arrive too late to stop him from stealing a maiden. Late into the season the finale is set up when Ganon kidnaps Zelda in order to seal her away, but Zelda manages to relate the location of the Master Sword right before she's sealed. Link goes and gets the Master Sword, cheesy final boss showdown with Ganon, rescues Zelda, everyone lives happily ever after.

Cheesy and predictable, sure, but done with enough style and witty dialogue it could be a fun swashbuckling tale. Just don't over-think it - the instant you start trying to throw moral complexity and medieval politics into it, you've lost the point of the games.

That said, I'll believe it when I see it. And even if it does happen, my faith in them doing a good adaptation of it is basically nil.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't believe this unless there was official word from Nintendo. It's highly unlikely that they'd do something like this, period, and without official word assuming it's a hoax is the reasonable thing to do. For some reason people like making Zelda hoaxes. Anyone remember the great flood story Zelda game hoax?
    Great flood story Zelda game hoax? That would explain why we never ever had a post-flood Zelda game.

Its obvious Zelda rumors never amount to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I could see Legend of Zelda working in a "Pirates of Dark Water" kinda way. Go with Link to the Past style - the daughters of the Sages are being sealed into crystals, and Link, Zelda, Navi, and a few other characters (Linebeck maybe?) have to find where in Hyrule they've been sealed and unseal them. There are periodic clashes with Ganon as they arrive too late to stop him from stealing a maiden. Late into the season the finale is set up when Ganon kidnaps Zelda in order to seal her away, but Zelda manages to relate the location of the Master Sword right before she's sealed. Link goes and gets the Master Sword, cheesy final boss showdown with Ganon, rescues Zelda, everyone lives happily ever after.

Cheesy and predictable, sure, but done with enough style and witty dialogue it could be a fun swashbuckling tale. Just don't over-think it - the instant you start trying to throw moral complexity and medieval politics into it, you've lost the point of the games.

That said, I'll believe it when I see it. And even if it does happen, my faith in them doing a good adaptation of it is basically nil.
    A Formulaic "maiden of the week?" Highlighting how one disposable girl after another gets captured with Zelda swooning at the last bit? Bleh :small yuk:

I think the best Zelda show would have be a more 21st century. Let it mix elements of drama, action, and pure fantasy. Perhaps also political intrigue. This is an opportunity to have the Zelda team face the various villains and scenarios from all the games as well as situations that they never faced, and never would have faced before.

Let Link experience competition for the princesses' affections and challenges to his automatic hero status. Let Zelda get some time in the sun and down in the dirt instead of relegating her to the damsel in distress whenever the **** finally starts hitting the fan.

Link can't carry a show on his own. A game about blank-slate Link and his faerie sidekick with occasional appearances by princess that seems so curiously capable yet prone to getting kidnapped the only logical explanation is that she's indulging in some sort of kink, is fine. It makes horrible television.

Really there's only two ways to go: Zelda: The Superhero Knockoff and Zelda: A Game of Triangles.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Link can't carry a show on his own. A game about blank-slate Link and his faerie sidekick with occasional appearances by princess that seems so curiously capable yet prone to getting kidnapped the only logical explanation is that she's indulging in some sort of kink, is fine. It makes horrible television.
    In Zelda's defense, she kind of drew the short straw when they were handing out Triforces. Ganon gets the Triforce that turns him into a nigh-unstoppable immortal demigod, Link gets the Triforce that lets him wield the only blade that can defeat Ganon, and Zelda gets the Triforce that... lets her rule competently, I guess? I mean, yeah, the Triforce of Wisdom is awesome when there isn't a King of Evil out there trying to reclaim all the Triforces and ascend to godhood, but peace and prosperity don't exactly make for good adventure games, you know?

Peach definitely has more going on, though. My best guess is that we're seeing things backwards: Clearly, Bowser is rescuing her from the psychotic, mass-murdering plumber whose favorite meal is her subjects' heads. And so countless koopas lay down their lives, entire castles sacrifice themselves as false leads, and entire armies throw themselves into the monster's path, all to buy our lovers a few brief moments of intimacy before he comes--as he always does--to tear them apart. But I digress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

To relay the reaction of my D&D group to this yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by The Wall Street Journal
    Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience
    What is this even supposed to mean? If you took away all the elements of Game of Thrones not meant for a family audience there would be nothing left.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    To relay the reaction of my D&D group to this yesterday:

What is this even supposed to mean? If you took away all the elements of Game of Thrones not meant for a family audience there would be nothing left.
    Yeah I was talking to my brother about this earlier. The only thing I could come up with after you take away gratuitous violence, sex, torture, etc is politics. Can anyone really imagine a Legend of Zelda tv series with a focus on politics?

Ultimately we decided that "Like Game of Thrones!" has just become the catchall for any remotely medieval fantasy that comes out for the next decade or so. This realization made me want to cry, but it is the only thing that really makes any sense. Link has a sword and rides horses. Game of Thrones characters have swords and ride horses. Just like Game of Thrones! blegh
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateGirl

Yeah, my vote is just trying to promote it based on superficial setting similarities to something that is popular, not anything having to do with drama, actual content or plotlines. And it probably is a good indicator of their target demographic, at least.

In other words, they're trying to appeal to the same nerdy audience who likes Game of Thrones. That's it. Which if all they're going to do is try to make it serious drama or whatever, probably will end up too silly.

In better hands, it could be Link finding the Foursword in the pilot, drawing it, and we get all the various iterations of Link, questing together and having silly adventures (like Avatar:TLA). That means 80s cartoon Link, CDI-link, silent protagonist Link and straight-man link (The 'normal' one that serves as an audience proxy). Each has a different fighting style because each one prefers a different set of items.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Yeah I was talking to my brother about this earlier. The only thing I could come up with after you take away gratuitous violence, sex, torture, etc is politics. Can anyone really imagine a Legend of Zelda tv series with a focus on politics?

Ultimately we decided that "Like Game of Thrones!" has just become the catchall for any remotely medieval fantasy that comes out for the next decade or so. This realization made me want to cry, but it is the only thing that really makes any sense. Link has a sword and rides horses. Game of Thrones characters have swords and ride horses. Just like Game of Thrones! blegh
    I do not understand how a Politically involved Zelda TV would end up "exactly" like Game of Thrones, more like a Galavant or a Reign. Political, but much more linear and focused on one set of protagonists. It can be done straight or funny

With the Nintendo angle though, I see Zelda skewing more action oriented and kept PG-TV. It's more likely to be "Zelda: The last airbender" or, bleh, "Hyrule Assemble!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Great flood story Zelda game hoax? That would explain why we never ever had a post-flood Zelda game.

Its obvious Zelda rumors never amount to anything.

A Formulaic "maiden of the week?" Highlighting how one disposable girl after another gets captured with Zelda swooning at the last bit? Bleh :small yuk:

I think the best Zelda show would have be a more 21st century. Let it mix elements of drama, action, and pure fantasy. Perhaps also political intrigue. This is an opportunity to have the Zelda team face the various villains and scenarios from all the games as well as situations that they never faced, and never would have faced before.

Let Link experience competition for the princesses' affections and challenges to his automatic hero status. Let Zelda get some time in the sun and down in the dirt instead of relegating her to the damsel in distress whenever the **** finally starts hitting the fan.

Really there's only two ways to go: Zelda: The Superhero Knockoff and Zelda: A Game of Triangles.
    So you haven't heard of the hoax I'm referring to. The hoax game being billed as essentially a WW prequel of sorts. Google: Zelda Project Deluge (or Zelda Valley of the Flood).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

While I'm dubious on this, but Nintendo had said a year or two ago that they were opening back up to letting third parties handle their IP's again, and they even more recently hired someone who used to work with Hasbro(?) for that sort of stuff. And I saw some Mario themed spagetti o's or some sort of canned monstrosity at the store a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd fallen back into the 90's for a minute there, but after a double take it was indeed real!

So dubious, but it could be true.

That said, I have no idea how they'd pull it off in an interesting way. That may just be lack of imagination on my part, but it sounds like a really tall order even for a competent writer. I think it'd be a bad idea for them to try to turn a particular game into a story, better to keep the important elements (aesthetics and themes) while making a new story for the characters. Live action sounds...awkward to me, but for an American audience if they want to cater to anyone other than children, they probably feel it has to be live action.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The closest I've seen to an official live action Zelda is this: link.

Which means it could be really, really bad if taken seriously, or amazingly fun if not.