New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Help choosing classes for small group

Hey there,

we are currently only a group of 3 players +DM, but still want to play a few sessions with new characters. So far we've always been able to fullfill all the classic roles in our group, but with only 3 players it seems quite difficult.

So my questions is, which classes would be a good combination for such a small group?

Our starting level will be 2 or 3 and we'll probably get 35 points. As far as books goes, our DM will probably allow PH2,CC,CAr, CAd, CD, CS, CM, ToB and ToM. And we'll probably won't get any further than level 9 or maybe 12.
    Thanks in advance and best regards
    delos

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Help choosing classes for small group

Well, a Crusader, Bard and Beguiler could work. Multiclassing could enhance this further.

Choose your options:

Frontline: Bard4/Crusader16 or Crusader20 or Bard4/Warblade16
    Roguish guy: Beguiler 20, Bard20 or something like that. Doubles as an arcane caster.
    Divine caster: Divine Bard6/Knight of the Raven. Or Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator. Doubles as a frontliner.
    Ranged: Swift Hunter Scout4/Ranger16, Totemist20. Totemist is the most versatile here.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you considered gestalt? It tends to help with that.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

My group has 3 regulars, and about 4 other people that may or may not show up any given week. Plus the DM, of course. I play a DMM:P Beatstick Cleric (with other fancy stuff), my wife plays a Sorcerer/War Mage (the DragonLance type), and our buddy plays a Psion (but is rerolling to a Rogue to stop stepping on my wife's toes). Regardless, I don't know if our DM is just that good, or if we're that good, but we don't really have any issues with anything our DM throws at us. And when our group grows, we end up with a Bard, a Barbarian, a Scout and a Swordsage. At that point, dragons leading armies become common enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

An option would be going with high tier characters, that have the flexibility to cover all the bases, like Wizard + Druid + (Cloistered) Cleric.
    That gets you arcane, divine, melee and skillmonkey (trough CC) easily enough.

Or you could go for classes, that fall into several categories, such as Beguiler, Bard, ToB classes, Ranger and the multiclass combinations (Swift Hunter, Daring Outlaw...).

Gestalt is another option, that can also be combined with the above suggestions.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks so far. The swift hunter sounds quite interesting. Playing our rogue-ish type would definitly be the first tme for me though.