New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: MERP questions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default MERP questions

1. Is there really any difference between the 1ed (1984) and 2ed (1986)?

2. Any Tolkien nerds have input on the accuracy of the modules, not the system or gameplay?
    Last edited by aspekt; 2015-02-08 at 05:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: MERP questions

2. Yes - the very balance of the world (magic to non-magic)* is not remotely Tolkein.

In a lot of ways it is very like Peter Jackson's films - it is based on Tolkein's works, it is inspired by Tolkein's works, it is not Tolkein's work.

*The main point here is healing - in Tolkein's works there is very little magical healing, in the game, one needs a lot or to take months between adventures to recover.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2015-02-08 at 02:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    2. Yes - the very balance of the world (magic to non-magic)* is not remotely Tolkein.

In a lot of ways it is very like Peter Jackson's films - it is based on Tolkein's works, it is inspired by Tolkein's works, it is not Tolkein's work.

*The main point here is healing - in Tolkein's works there is very little magical healing, in the game, one needs a lot or to take months between adventures to recover.
    From what I've been looking at I agree wholeheartedly.

What about the maps and setting details, accuracy there at all, or a wasted effort?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aspekt View Post
    From what I've been looking at I agree wholeheartedly.

What about the maps and setting details, accuracy there at all, or a wasted effort?
    The Old MERP Modules are great maps I think I pretty much own them all and used them to run Rolemaster Campaigns years ago. They are good representations of the setting I am a Tolkien Fan and I enjoyed using them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ctwaterman View Post
    The Old MERP Modules are great maps I think I pretty much own them all and used them to run Rolemaster Campaigns years ago. They are good representations of the setting I am a Tolkien Fan and I enjoyed using them.
    Thanks. I was hoping they at least mafe solid and accurate resources for ME.

As a RM fan did you find the 1ed and 2ed core rules different by any great means?
    Last edited by aspekt; 2015-02-09 at 01:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The maps are good as far as the maps in The Lord of the Rings go. Beyond there ICE had to invent and they did so. They tried to base what they invented on Tolkein's work (though for me they made the continent far too small) but it's not Tolkein once you get off the known maps (I think some of the material since released has Tolkein's drafts and they are different).

In the common areas - their maps are very good and beautifully done. If they add details, well Tolkein had large blank areas on his maps that were supposed to be reasonably well populated so it's actually Tolkein's maps I have an issue with!

Anyway if you set out to play in Middle Earth you and all your players need to acknowledge up front that your vision of ME won't quiet match theirs or Tolkein's, so does it really matter if ICE's didn't either?

Edit I played some 1st Ed and I own somewhere 2nd Ed - I am not aware of any differences - so it's probably all just cleaning up to make more readable and correction of typos. Any differences are probably trivial.

To put it in D&D terms, it's like comparing the boxed sets of Basic, Expert, Companion and Master D&D with the Rules Cyclopedia where the only rules difference I can remember is they switched door opening to be roll high adding stat modifier rather than roll low - the chances remained the same, but the mechanism was unified with other ability checks.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2015-02-09 at 07:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Helpful info and a good point on Tolkien interpretation. One issue of course is creating a game which is enjoyable. This inevitably leads to variations in the same setting.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aspekt View Post
    1. Is there really any difference between the 1ed (1984) and 2ed (1986)?

2. Any Tolkien nerds have input on the accuracy of the modules, not the system or gameplay?
    The modules and flavor are awesome. I've used them many times with other game systems, I've never actually used the MERP game system.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by endur View Post
    The modules and flavor are awesome. I've used them many times with other game systems, I've never actually used the MERP game system.
    Good to hear. Thank you.

I have a large pile of books by and about ME and Tolkien. I was thinking, as a gamer not an academic, that the MERP books, especially the maps, would be a nice addition.

I was curious about the system because I really enjoy reading different games and their core mechanics. (As well as playong them too.)
    Last edited by aspekt; 2015-02-18 at 06:51 AM.