New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default How many Pun-Pun exploits are in BECMI?

I'm sure everyone here already knows about Pun-Pun, a way for a kobold in 3.5e to gain arbitrarily high stats and abilities. Does anyone know if there are any similar insta-ascend exploits in BECMI, which doesn't have feats and does have a much simpler class system?

If it's remotely possible, my ultimate goal is to start with a level 1, INT 18 Magic-User, and in as short a time as possible, zoom up to level 36, ascend to Immortality, jump to full Hierarch, release immortality to start at level 1 again, make it all the way to Hierarch /again/, and then jump to Old One. I have a purpose for such an exploit that's unrelated to any actual game. I don't know if it's actually possible, but I might as well shoot for the moon (and the hidden city of Immortals therein).

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thank you for your time,
    - -
    DataPacRat
    "Does aₘᵢₙ=2cē/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How many Pun-Pun exploits are in BECMI?

Nothing that I'm aware of. Perhaps if you come across a ring of endless wishes, but that's pretty much the same as saying "No, unless your DM decides to let you."
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I got nothing. I'll admit I'm a bit rusty on the details but nothing occurs to me. You might through acts of plot be able to skip straight from low mortality to Immortality and up a rank or ten (like Benekander) but nothing else springs to mind.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

No, there is no way to do within the rules what you are describing.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    No, there is no way to do within the rules what you are describing.
    Well, it was worth asking.

And if that's so: What's the closest to a game-breaking exploit in BECMI that you know of, with or without any of the optional extras from the Gazetteer line?
    Thank you for your time,
    - -
    DataPacRat

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
    Well, it was worth asking.

And if that's so: What's the closest to a game-breaking exploit in BECMI that you know of, with or without any of the optional extras from the Gazetteer line?
    I think this answer still applies:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Nothing that I'm aware of. Perhaps if you come across a ring of endless wishes, but that's pretty much the same as saying "No, unless your DM decides to let you."
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataPacRat
    And if that's so: What's the closest to a game-breaking exploit in BECMI that you know of, with or without any of the optional extras from the Gazetteer line? .
    Date the DM.

Incidentally, what you're asking for is a legal way to skip the entire game itself. The point is not to gain ultimate power, but to start at 1st level and advance through all the levels.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Pun-Pun is possible because of a large amount of synergy between abilities... feats with spells with class levels and racial abilities. Early editions tended to have a lot fewer such abilities, leading to a much smaller synergistic effect.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Date the DM.
    This plan is backfire prone. I'd expect it to either do nothing, or the DM to try too hard to avoid the appearance of favoritism, and thus actually be harder on the player dating them than anyone else.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Date the DM.

Incidentally, what you're asking for is a legal way to skip the entire game itself. The point is not to gain ultimate power, but to start at 1st level and advance through all the levels.
    I'm writing a story, which has included mention of the BECMI ruleset. If it is possible to skip through the 'entire game', then I'd be able to use that as a plot element. If it's not, then I'll use slightly different plot points.
    Thank you for your time,
    - -
    DataPacRat

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
    I'm writing a story, which has included mention of the BECMI ruleset. If it is possible to skip through the 'entire game', then I'd be able to use that as a plot element. If it's not, then I'll use slightly different plot points.
    If you're writing a story, then why tie yourself to the rules? Just make it up!

12. - Top - End - #12

If you're writing a story, then why tie yourself to the rules? Just make it up!
    I'm trying to write in the genre of RationalFic ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RationalFic ), in which 'making it up' about factual details - such as the facts about a particular game's rules - tends to be discouraged.
    Thank you for your time,
    - -
    DataPacRat